• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
1. Buy One or more shares of BRK.B into your brokerage account if you don't own any. This is the stock you need to buy to get discount
https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ABRK.B 
 2. Call Geico customer care 1-800-861-8380 and inform them that you are a share holder of Berkshire Hataway and you want to add affiliation discount program to your account.
Other Possible Discounts:
https://www.geico.com/about/sponsoredmarketing/partners/ 

Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Geico (42.95kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Do you know that for a fact or are you speculating?

enc0re (Jul. 23, 2014 @ 11:55a) |

I know this is an old thread, but I found out the hard way and like to share my experience with you.
I went out and bough... (more)

b16899 (Sep. 04, 2014 @ 2:08p) |

Yes, Same thing happened to us. They only allow one professional discount per policy.

RUTHIEYOSSI (Sep. 05, 2014 @ 10:37a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I chuckled because I thought you meant BRK.A.

rated:
Do they ask the proof of the ownership?

rated:
There's a ton of orgs that you can get discounts through.

CompTIA is one that I'm a member of that you can choose (IT related people there are other choices too)

rated:
MrsGuin said:   1. Buy One or more shares of BRK.B into your brokerage account if you don't own any. This is the stock you need to buy to get discount
 2. Call Geico customer care 1-800-861-8380 and inform them that you are a share holder of Berkshire Hataway and you want to add affiliation discount program to your account.

Looks like a pretty good deal. Have you tried it yourself? Doesn't seem like it should apply to shareholders of publicly traded securities, but probably worth a try.

rated:
gbuskirk said:   I chuckled because I thought you meant BRK.A.
I'd think that 8% savings for those who own BRK.A with property matching their investments and appropriate insurance payments could be substantial.

rated:
Same amount of savings as other affiliation discounts Geico offers.

rated:
For those wondering, the needed stock (BRK.B) is trading at $127 currently.

rated:
Some org (National Geography) only get 5% discount. This one is better.

rated:
Not sure how the 8% is calculated, but on my policy this discount is $6.80 listed as "Sponsored Marketing". For context, my 6 month gross premium is $1022 and it is $682 after discounts and savings (for multi-vehicle, 5yr good driver, airbags, ABS, DRL,etc). My defensive driver discount is $28.60 - a much better "return" if you are going to spend money to save money.

rated:
wmnetid said:   Not sure how the 8% is calculated, but on my policy this discount is $6.80 listed as "Sponsored Marketing". For context, my 6 month gross premium is $1022 and it is $682 after discounts and savings (for multi-vehicle, 5yr good driver, airbags, ABS, DRL,etc). My defensive driver discount is $28.60 - a much better "return" if you are going to spend money to save money.

The money you spend on BRK-B is not lost and will most likely increase in value. It gives a way better "return" than your defensive driving course.

rated:
Depends on how bad of a driver he was?

rated:
Short Berkshire!

rated:
Does it cost to apply for membership in CompTIA? I am a software enigneer and just curious.. Thx

rated:
FYI it looks like freelancers union is there too, which is a total score! already getting 10% off tmobile for that one and saved me a couple bucks on Geico too.

is the stockholder discount confirmed? does it stack with any other discounts or is it one and done?

thanks OP!

rated:
Thanks OP! In for one.

rated:
gbuskirk said:   I chuckled because I thought you meant BRK.A.
  lol, worth spending $190k for Geico's 8% discount ....

rated:
Did not get any discount... They said, this cannot be combined with other group affiliation discounts that I was getting. 

rated:
I got 5% discount with stock. My policy premium is $366 before and now applied $18.32 discount.

rated:
I called in to ask the rep about the discount.  He said I would save about $30 on my auto policy that is currently $406 per 6 months.  I guess I need to figure out how many (or how few) shares I want to buy.  

rated:
Thanks, op!

Called and asked if I could still qualify for this, even though I am already getting a discount for being a PFCU customer. Customer service gal confirmed that I could get a discount for BRK.B, and just needed send proof of BRK.B ownership to r5techfax@Geico.com.

Not sure what the discount percentage will be, but keeping my fingers crossed.

rated:
Thanks, op!

Called and asked if I could still qualify for this, even though I am already getting a discount for being a PFCU customer. Customer service gal confirmed that I could get a discount for BRK.B, and just needed send proof of BRK.B ownership to r5techfax@Geico.com.

Not sure what the discount percentage will be, but keeping my fingers crossed.

rated:
Called Geico, and they told me I'm already receiving the maximum percentage of discounts (safe driver, multi-car, etc.) I can get, even without any affinity discounts, so I guess there's a cap. Ah well.

rated:
MrsGuin said:   1. Buy One or more shares of BRK.B into your brokerage account if you don't own any. This is the stock you need to buy to get discount

Im looking to open a brokerage account anyway, after reviewing them all does anybody use Scotttrade? Im just looking to buy a few stocks and forget about them for a few years and would like something that doesnt charge maintenance or inactivity fees,etc

rated:
Scottrade does not currently charge anything just for letting account hold positions. Will reinvest dividends of everything into 1 selected position, if you want long-term growth. Check to see if bonus for opening account with cash or transferred stock.

rated:
my credit union gives 8% discount also and when I asked for it I was told I already received the max discount and additional discounts (like the 8%) was for bad drivers.

so unlike other deals, call to make sure you would get the discount and double check with a manager. get it in writing.

rated:
stiltner said:   There's a ton of orgs that you can get discounts through.

CompTIA is one that I'm a member of that you can choose (IT related people there are other choices too)

Im a member of that too but what is the discount? is it better than 8% or is it stackable

rated:
I tried to do this online but it eventually said:
Please Note:
The Additional Savings amount is the maximum savings available and may not add up to each discount quoted separately. When new discounts are added to your policy, you will receive notification of your adjusted policy premium and changes to your billing schedule.

so tI have hit the cap.... will try calling in.

rated:
Yes, you must fax in proof of ownership.

rated:
I had Geico car insurance. Just know that if you live in some cities, you will have a long wait time for Geico to process your claim because Geico doesn't want to hire extra staff so you may have one adjuster for your area. Also Geico likes to insist as much aftermarket parts as possible and many body shops do not like to work with Geico because of their slow payment and slow customer service. Some insurance companies are better about allowing you OEM parts. Geico is good price if you just need insurance to comply with fiscal responsibility law. Otherwise, it's caveat emptor!

rated:
srqt said:   I had Geico car insurance. Just know that if you live in some cities, you will have a long wait time for Geico to process your claim because Geico doesn't want to hire extra staff so you may have one adjuster for your area. Also Geico likes to insist as much aftermarket parts as possible and many body shops do not like to work with Geico because of their slow payment and slow customer service. Some insurance companies are better about allowing you OEM parts. Geico is good price if you just need insurance to comply with fiscal responsibility law. Otherwise, it's caveat emptor!

I don't doubt your experience. I've had two claims with Geico and the experience was great both times.

rated:
cant you just buy the share. Fax it. sell it next month?

rated:
PFCU gets a discount? how much?

rated:
no go, says i got sponsored marketing discount already. 

rated:
i called Geico and the discount for me will be $4.80 per 6 months

rated:
I called and they said that I was not eligible for any discounts (either affiliate or shareholder) as my rate is so low (it is pretty low, I'm paying about $400/6 months for 2 cars). She said they normally do offer discounts but it varies by state. So its worth calling, but don't get your hopes up too much.

rated:
You can buy a portion of berkshire stock from loyal3 for like 10 bucks.

rated:
That's not "one share." That's a fractional share and wouldn't count. 
kvs25 said:   You can buy a portion of berkshire stock from loyal3 for like 10 bucks.

rated:
rebelx said:   That's not "one share." That's a fractional share and wouldn't count. 

Do you know that for a fact or are you speculating?

Skipping 2 Messages...
rated:
Yes, Same thing happened to us. They only allow one professional discount per policy.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014