• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Stop & Shop from 5/2-5/12:


Buy 1 Mastercard/Visa Gift Card, $500 + $5.95 activation fee

 
If you buy a $500 Mastercard or Visa Gift Card you will have earned $1.50 off of 35 gallons of gas, which is equivalent to $52.50 in savings.
Pay: $505.95
Get: 1,500 Gas Reward Points ($52.50)
$46.55 Money Maker assuming you can fill up with 35 gallons of gas

thx LRWC

Member Summary

gift card
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

3xgas rewards
Thanks brusbrother
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
good deal!

specmaker (May. 05, 2014 @ 4:28a) |

Is it possible to buy one $500 card then use it (plus fees of course) to buy the next $500 card and so on thereby not ty... (more)

brusbrother (May. 09, 2014 @ 6:34a) |

Yes it's possible.  I just did it yesterday. But every store has different rules. Big YMMV

cashandmorecash (May. 09, 2014 @ 6:38a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

MISTERCHEAP said:   Stop & Shop from 5/2-5/12:


Buy 1 Mastercard/Visa Gift Card, $500 + $5.95 activation fee

 
If you buy a $500 Mastercard or Visa Gift Card you will have earned $1.50 off of 35 gallons of gas, which is equivalent to $52.50 in savings.
Pay: $505.95
Get: 1,500 Gas Reward Points ($52.50)
$46.55 Money Maker assuming you can fill up with 35 gallons of gas

thx LRWC

  Loss of $505.95 when you misplace/lose gift card...

lol

Great deal for me since my Amex Blue Cash card gives 5% back for supermarket purchases (which is another $25.00 back). Does anyone know if this deal will work at Giant Food (mid-Atlantic) also?

MISTERCHEAP said:   Stop & Shop from 5/2-5/12:


Buy 1 Mastercard/Visa Gift Card, $500 + $5.95 activation fee

 
If you buy a $500 Mastercard or Visa Gift Card you will have earned $1.50 off of 35 gallons of gas, which is equivalent to $52.50 in savings.
Pay: $505.95
Get: 1,500 Gas Reward Points ($52.50)
$46.55 Money Maker assuming you can fill up with 35 gallons of gas

thx LRWC

  You can only fill once, so you need your car/truck to be able to hold 35 gallons of gas (unless you plan to carry many gas cans). Our minivan only has a 20 gallon tank, and the most I've ever filled was less than 19 gallons. so assuming I fill 20 gallons (one car, one can) that's only $24. 

This may not probably work for people who have cars which generally fills upto a max of 15 gallons so a max of 15$ in cash after activation fee. The 35 gallons needs to be filled at once and cannot be staggered.

bvkradha said:   This may not probably work for people who have cars which generally fills upto a max of 15 gallons so a max of 15$ in cash after activation fee. The 35 gallons needs to be filled at once and cannot be staggered.
  $15 is still easy money.

Just be careful, the gas attendants have ways of stealing all your remaining points and using it themselves. I had 6,000 points on my card, filled up once and the next 3 days my card was mysteriouly used at the same gas station using up all my points. Stop and Shop would do nothing, and neither would Shell. I will not shop at either of them again.

jpessin3 said:   Just be careful, the gas attendants have ways of stealing all your remaining points and using it themselves. I had 6,000 points on my card, filled up once and the next 3 days my card was mysteriouly used at the same gas station using up all my points. Stop and Shop would do nothing, and neither would Shell. I will not shop at either of them again.
  I dont think you save points!
You accumulate points every time you make a purchase in the store, however if you fill up at any time regardless of the amount of gas spent (max 35 gallons) you will forfeit all the points you saved.
they are also only valid up to 30days since you earned them.

Is the deal on points only good on MC purchase? Disney GCs are useful if you're planning a trip...

jpessin3 said:   Just be careful, the gas attendants have ways of stealing all your remaining points and using it themselves. I had 6,000 points on my card, filled up once and the next 3 days my card was mysteriouly used at the same gas station using up all my points. Stop and Shop would do nothing, and neither would Shell. I will not shop at either of them again.
Are you in NJ? In NY where you pump yourself the attendant never has to touch the card. I don't know if the card number prints on the receipt, I haven't paid attention but I'd be surprised if it does. Also seems odd that they would automatically assume that you had more points and use the card number (if they could get it), since the balance never prints. Worst case I would go to another Shell station and not continue to badmouth Stop & Shop for something they had nothing to do with.

And I will also say that this is the only time I've heard a story like this and I am sure that if it were happening regularly as you are apparently claiming that people on LRWC would be posting about it.

rsuaver said:   Is the deal on points only good on MC purchase? Disney GCs are useful if you're planning a trip...
Not valid on Disney gift cards (do the stores even carry those?)

Here's the list:

iTunes
Sephora
Olive Garden
Macys
Visa
Outback
Mastercard

tomeaine said:   I dont think you save points!
You accumulate points every time you make a purchase in the store, however if you fill up at any time regardless of the amount of gas spent (max 35 gallons) you will forfeit all the points you saved.
they are also only valid up to 30days since you earned them.

That is not correct. When you use your card, you spend up to 2200 points (if you have that many). If you had 6000 points, you would have 3800 left for your next purchase.

billrubin said:   
tomeaine said:   I dont think you save points!
You accumulate points every time you make a purchase in the store, however if you fill up at any time regardless of the amount of gas spent (max 35 gallons) you will forfeit all the points you saved.
they are also only valid up to 30days since you earned them.

That is not correct. When you use your card, you spend up to 2200 points (if you have that many). If you had 6000 points, you would have 3800 left for your next purchase.

  
I believe Billrubin is correct, but points do expire 30 days after they are earned.

Roy, I assume it does apply to Giant.  It shouldn't be a mystery they typically have signs up near the gift cards.

Assuming this is the standard 3x points, why not get 2 500 GCs. and make more money.  Amex Blue Cash Everyday is 3%, so its a MM, BC Preferred is 6%.  Original Blue is 5% if you are over 6500  year.

Bvkradha, all I can say for you is you are distinctly uncreative.  I'm thinking this is worth a minimum of $91  -- and possibly more.  Ever heard of gas cans?

Excuse me, but I have every right to badmouth Stop & Shop and Shell. Stop & Shop should have a system in place that doesn't allow the points to be deducted without the card being there (which is what clearly what happened since the card was in my pocket 50 miles away from the gas station). Any I called them 3 times and each time they promised me they would send me a new card and give me the points back, but they never did. So finally I just gave up on them and that is why I am relaying this story to all. If you have points saved on your card, you risk them stealing all of it and Stop & Shop will not help you out. To answer the other questions, yes it was in New Jersey and it was at the Shell Station on Route 22 East in Watchung. And yes, you can have points saved, as you can only use a maximum of 2,200 at a time.

jpessin3 said:   Excuse me, but I have every right to badmouth Stop & Shop and Shell. Stop & Shop should have a system in place that doesn't allow the points to be deducted without the card being there (which is what clearly what happened since the card was in my pocket 50 miles away from the gas station). 
Some people have cards without magnetic stripes. Some people carry the small version that fits on a keyring. They need to have a way to manually enter the card number.

Did you determine that the card was definitely used at the same station? Who gave you that info?

You should have tried speaking to the local S&S store manager. They could have given you a new card and manually applied points to the card.

The most you can use is $2.20 a gallon for 35 gallons. Points expire after 30 days. ~ Points can be manually adjusted by S & S customer service. I had this done recently when I made a mistake on their buy 7 items get 40 cents off gas promotion. One item I grabbed was the wrong item. I offered to go through the whole exchange process but they said that it was OK and manually added the 400 points to my card anyway. ~ There is a customer service number specifically for gas point problems listed on their website or in the brochure. ~ Almost every week they have some kind of gift card/ gas point offer. If it is a place I go to or use on a regular basis I will always buy a few gift cards for my own use. I did especially well at Christmas time.

Yes, when I called the Stop & Shop customer service they told me it was used at the same station 2 days after I was there, then the day after that, and then the day after that, all at the exact same station. And then after they promised to send me a new card, it was used at that same station again the next day. I called the customer service for gas points - that is who I spoke to 3 different times. Each time they promised to do something but never did.

great deal. buy more then 1 card to better max out the promo...also easy unload to bb @ wm.

I went to a Giant, the promotion is definitely in place there, however a manager shut me down attempting to pay by credit card (first time I've ever run into this). I'll probably try another store.

Thanks OP. Got the Visa Card. But be careful, its valid only on Silver Visa Card...


3xgas rewards
Disclaimer
I didn't see this in my local (CT) weekly circular at first.
Found it bottom of front page.

I don't know what some of you are talking about. It's free money. At the very minimum this is $52.50 in gas savings, which is almost a tank of gas for me. That doesn't even factor in the 6% I get with BCP and the fact that this offer stacks with other gas promos.

Is there any limit on this offer?
The on-line and paper ads aren't legible.
Second question: If there is a limit on how many points you can use per fill up, do the remaining points stay in the account until they expire?

JayPC said:   Thanks OP. Got the Visa Card. But be careful, its valid only on Silver Visa Card...
  
that's incorrect.  I bought both variations at my store and both credited without a problem

brusbrother said:   Is there any limit on this offer?
The on-line and paper ads aren't legible.
Second question: If there is a limit on how many points you can use per fill up, do the remaining points stay in the account until they expire?

  doesn't seem to be a limit per my experience.  you can use a max of $2.20 off per fill up and the remaining points do stay in the account until expiration.

From my experience, Amex didn't give me %5 back when I purchased a gift card at the supermarket. gift cards are an exclusion. Read your fine prints. You will find out! It sucks, but that's how they do it.

ymprncess said:   From my experience, Amex didn't give me %5 back when I purchased a gift card at the supermarket. gift cards are an exclusion. Read your fine prints. You will find out! It sucks, but that's how they do it.
  

Amex has no idea what you are buying, all the charges go through the same at the register.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
ymprncess said:   From my experience, Amex didn't give me %5 back when I purchased a gift card at the supermarket. gift cards are an exclusion. Read your fine prints. You will find out! It sucks, but that's how they do it.
  

Amex has no idea what you are buying, all the charges go through the same at the register.
 

  Not true at all.  As anyone who has gone through an FR can attest to, Amex knows exactly what you're buying. They just don't care (yet).

ntr91 said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   
ymprncess said:   From my experience, Amex didn't give me %5 back when I purchased a gift card at the supermarket. gift cards are an exclusion. Read your fine prints. You will find out! It sucks, but that's how they do it.
  

Amex has no idea what you are buying, all the charges go through the same at the register.

  Not true at all.  As anyone who has gone through an FR can attest to, Amex knows exactly what you're buying. They just don't care (yet).

From Amex T&C relative to rewards: Purchases do not include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.
Is this standard fare on all credit cards?

The fine print, barely legible in the on-line as well as paper ad states NOT valid on reloadable cards.
I first grabbed one of these but thankfully the CSR waived me off landing the first time around.
 

good deal!

Is it possible to buy one $500 card then use it (plus fees of course) to buy the next $500 card and so on thereby not tying up your money but each time increasing the gas points?

brusbrother said:   Is it possible to buy one $500 card then use it (plus fees of course) to buy the next $500 card and so on thereby not tying up your money but each time increasing the gas points?
  Yes it's possible.  I just did it yesterday. But every store has different rules. Big YMMV



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014