• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Verizon Wireless
See Verizon Wireless coupons that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

fios
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

First, this price includes ZERO equipment, taxes or fees. They give and they take away. Usually they include a DVR fee for a year ($17/mo), now they don't but drop the price a few bucks. There's always a gimmick with these all these cable/sat companies. Price it out first with ALL the equipment you require and it just becomes a squirrel in sheep's clothing. You just can't beat 'em because they give something with one hand and take something else away with the other.

That being said, FIOS is great, just check all the available deals first because there are many more out there besides this one that they have been low-balling on TV every 20 minutes to undercut TWC here in the NNJ area. Of course after the first 2 years is up the cost skyrockets (mine went up just under 40% after my first 2 years). After some negotiation I got them to cut about 80% of that increase but had to give up SHO I had included for 2 years but was able to keep HBO. Also had to drop my 80/35 internet to 50/25 which was no great loss but it just shows you can't really beat 'em no matter what they make you believe.

MisterEd said:   First, this price includes ZERO equipment, taxes or fees. They give and they take away. Usually they include a DVR fee for a year ($17/mo), now they don't but drop the price a few bucks. There's always a gimmick with these all these cable/sat companies. Price it out first with ALL the equipment you require and it just becomes a squirrel in sheep's clothing. You just can't beat 'em because they give something with one hand and take something else away with the other.

That being said, FIOS is great, just check all the available deals first because there are many more out there besides this one that they have been low-balling on TV every 20 minutes to undercut TWC here in the NNJ area. Of course after the first 2 years is up the cost skyrockets (mine went up just under 40% after my first 2 years). After some negotiation I got them to cut about 80% of that increase but had to give up SHO I had included for 2 years but was able to keep HBO. Also had to drop my 80/35 internet to 50/25 which was no great loss but it just shows you can't really beat 'em no matter what they make you believe.

Come on Ed, no advertised price for any Triple Play deal for cable, fios, DISH, etc includes taxes and fees. Nor do they include "extras" for DVR's, movie channels, extra boxes, etc unless there is a specific promo included with that offer (like free HBO or free DVR)

I have been using FIOS since 2007.. Their billing is so bad . I had $99 triple play and my bill was around $150. Finally i discontinued triple play and just got internet. They have the nice fine print to charge you anything they want "Plus taxes, fees, equip. charges & RSN fee"

Mr C with all due respect they all charge many extras and one can even understand taxes being excluded, but in order to get their TV one need to have at least a box or one cable card ... and they do not include either... so the bundle at least $12 more ... TWC used to advertise "free HD" but charge you for box... i do not think they run this ad any longer...

MISTERCHEAP said:   
MisterEd said:   First, this price includes ZERO equipment, taxes or fees. They give and they take away. Usually they include a DVR fee for a year ($17/mo), now they don't but drop the price a few bucks. There's always a gimmick with these all these cable/sat companies. Price it out first with ALL the equipment you require and it just becomes a squirrel in sheep's clothing. You just can't beat 'em because they give something with one hand and take something else away with the other.

Come on Ed, no advertised price for any Triple Play deal for cable, fios, DISH, etc includes taxes and fees. Nor do they include "extras" for DVR's, movie channels, extra boxes, etc unless there is a specific promo included with that offer (like free HBO or free DVR)

That was my point exactly.  The specific promo you quoted includes nothing but the programming (which is like buying the shaver without the blades or the free lawn spreader without the over priced fertilizer ) and one should check all the other deals they offer in various other places and MORE THAN LIKELY one can find a better deal and not to assume this was anything special.  $79.95 sounds very MrCheaply until you add all the other stuff.  Good and better deals from Fios can be had other than the come-on low-ball prices they advertise on TV to undercut TWC's $89 deal they have been advertising.

You seem to often take it personally when anyone makes anything other than a positive comment on your posts.  Please don't. We all appreciate everything you post here but there may be some info that might benefit the "less informed."  

Just flipped back to VZ this week. Told Comcast I'll see them in 2 years but they might want to hold off on sending me the promo rates they wouldn't give me until I officially left until my contract is up. Got the "we have better service and inspire customer retention because of it" speech. Sorry, it's a commodity, especially on internet, which is the only service I subscribe to. At least I live in an area where there's a duopoly so I can switch back and forth, I pity those who are at the mercy of one of these behemoths.

darius11 said:   Just flipped back to VZ this week. Told Comcast I'll see them in 2 years but they might want to hold off on sending me the promo rates they wouldn't give me until I officially left until my contract is up. Got the "we have better service and inspire customer retention because of it" speech. Sorry, it's a commodity, especially on internet, which is the only service I subscribe to. At least I live in an area where there's a duopoly so I can switch back and forth, I pity those who are at the mercy of one of these behemoths.

Funny you mention that.  Just before my initial Fios contract expired a few months back I switched to Comcrap.  Fortunately I didn't disconnect Fios.  It was installed at 11AM and by 4PM same day it was canceled and the equipment returned the next morning to local office,  I figured I'd save $20/mo plus get 100MB internet vs 50MB plus get Skinamax AND SHO and HBO vs only SHO & HBO. What a fiasco.  I wanted 3 DVR's (same as I had on Fios and before that DirecTV) and they insisted "it wouldn't work" with their new 5 turner X2 box.  Salesman says "he has it with 3 DVR's." 

Then the Comcrap tech accidentally cut the master ethernet cable I have running throughout my house from Fios ONT, then he never could get the 3 MR-DVR's to work together.  It took about 3 weeks to get my bill zeroed out.

darius11 said:   Just flipped back to VZ this week. Told Comcast I'll see them in 2 years but they might want to hold off on sending me the promo rates they wouldn't give me until I officially left until my contract is up. Got the "we have better service and inspire customer retention because of it" speech. Sorry, it's a commodity, especially on internet, which is the only service I subscribe to. At least I live in an area where there's a duopoly so I can switch back and forth, I pity those who are at the mercy of one of these behemoths.
That's what I do too. The way that I think about it is would anybody keep their cellular provider if after the contract ended they didn't offer the same deals to renew.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014