• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Refurbished Freedom Spot Overdrive
Disclaimer
Refurbished Freedom Spot Overdrive 4G/3G Mobile Hotspot + 2GB of Data for 1 Month Trial and 500MB of Bonus Data - $25.00 with Free Shipping at Freedompop.

• Subsequent service is $18/month for 2GB of premium data or $0/month for 500MB of internet access
  • Service can be canceled any time

FreedomPop
See FreedomPop promo codes that earn $5.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FYI for those in metro Atlanta. Sprint 4G coverage is mostly non-existent here. You have a better chance of winning a lottery.

Same in NJ/NY - You would be lucky even if you get 3G

Be aware that it is a process to move your non-free plan to the 400MB/month free one. ( they advertise 500 but apparently your account is refilled automatically once you hit 400MB)

Their coverage Map is not accurate for San Diego, CA. I bought a device and has no signal what so ever. and when I ask for refund, they said they wouldn't refund the monthly fees, but I can call to cancel service to avoid ongoing charges. It sucks!

If you cancel the service, you won't get back the $25?  How's the coverage in SoCal (OC)?

I've had the Platinum 4G for a couple of months now and works pretty good in Los Angeles. Can't complain for something free.  Furthest south I've used this is Cerritos. Good reception there.  If you buy from other sources, say Groupon, and then register, you can just sign up for the free 500meg and do not have to cancel anything.  Also, do not even get close to 400meg, otherwise they will get you with the auto refill.  I was at 390meg and turned of my device.  But somehow they still tried to auto refill.

I believe most San Diego only has LTE service. Only one device from Freedompop use LTE. I got the router and can't get signal in San Diego, but no problem in OC or LA.

Freedompop is really bad company, even after seeing bad reviews, i was tempted to get this free service.

I have topoff and other features turned off, technically there is no reason to charge capped at 400MB (with top off turned off 400MB is limit).
I was charged two times for 9.95 in a month
Called CS for the first time charge, CS confirmed i will get refund. Never got money back.
They charged me again.

CS confirms my top off is turned off.
But they say it is my responsibility to not go beyond 400MB, their system is couple of hours off.

All the BS, i stopped using it,

Stay away from this assholes!

How has no one mentioned that this 4g is WiMax which is going to be discontinued soon.

doublehelix747 said:   FYI for those in metro Atlanta. Sprint 4G coverage is mostly non-existent here. You have a better chance of winning a lottery.
  Really?  I get 4G coverage on my S3 all over town.

From the other responses, it appears as though I am in the minority, but I have had a very good experience with Freedompop. I bought a refurbished Overdrive Pro and signed up for the $3.99 plan, which provides 500MB of 3G/4G data each month.

Since I am around wifi almost all day, I do not have a data plan for my cell phone. I use the Freedompop device to provide internet connectivity when I am on the go and need to send an email, browse the web, or do some navigation. It runs on the Sprint network, so it is slow but generally has most areas on the east coast covered in 3G. The "4G" WiMax is terrible in most areas, so I set the Overdrive to 3G only. It saves the battery and doesn't drop the signal like WiMax does.

I know that others complain about hidden fees and the like, but I have never experienced them. My CC gets billed $3.99 each month.

Table83 said:   How has no one mentioned that this 4g is WiMax which is going to be discontinued soon.
  I've been looking around to see the end-of-life date for Sprint's WiMax, but I cannot find it. Do you have a link? I am very interested as I use Clear (formerly XOHM) for my home internet.

In any case, this device does both WiMax and 3G. So it will still presumably work, albeit at a slower pace, if WiMax is shut down.

Edit: It looks like the end of 2015 is slated as the termination date for Sprint's WiMax network.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-shutter-wimax-network...

Have one of this, worked as a charm in Honolulu (Waikiki area) but since then I moved to Charlotte (works great), Omaha (no service) and Irvine, CA (work in some places, just where WiMax covers places).
Other then that pretty good deal if you live in area that actually has WiMax coverage.

It has 4G and 3G ability, free is 4G only. To have 3G you need to pay some, I think it's $3.99 or something per month.

I've been using T-Mobile's Hotspot PRO (Samsung). In Los Angeles, I'm getting 25MB d/l and 18MB u/l speeds. Yes I know - that's crazy amazing! Just wanted to let you guys know that a 1GB/month plan is only $10 month, 3GB is $20, and 5GB is $30, etc etc all the way up to a 21GB plan if you need.  It's LTE.

Also it's no-contract, just month-to-month.  You do need to pay for device though - $168 or $7/month for 24 months.  They also don't have overages.  If you go over, they throttle down to 3G speeds.

Why go for Freedom POP using Sprint's horrible speeds (I am a Sprint mobile customer so I know)?

Thanks jskins! I'll give it a try. T-Mobile signal is very low in my area.

> If you go over, they throttle down to 3G speeds.
They throttle down to 2G speeds since T-Mobile basically branded their 3G as 4G a while ago. This is what the customer service told me. What speeds are you getting after you hit the limit?

lancelot916 said:   Why go for Freedom POP using Sprint's horrible speeds (I am a Sprint mobile customer so I know)?

For me there are two reasons:
1. Price - $168 for the device is a lot more than $25. Also, I only need 300-400MB per month. So, 2 years on Freedompop (device and service) would cost me $120.76. Two years on the T-Mobile plan would cost me $408.
2. Coverage - I tried a T-Mobile plan last year. I could not get coverage near my home in Baltimore County. In 14 years as a Sprint customer, I can recall only two occasions where I did not have service. Of course, the trade off is Sprint's abysmal speed.

If you have good T-Mobile coverage, it's a no-brainer to go with them. However, people who travel our live outside of their coverage areas would be better off with someone else.

doublehelix747 said:   FYI for those in metro Atlanta. Sprint 4G coverage is mostly non-existent here. You have a better chance of winning a lottery.
  I thought 4G coverage was decent if you had LTE.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014