• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The Kobalt 20-pc. Mechanic's Tool Set is on sale at Lowe's for $4.48 with free in-store pickup.

Linky

Use coupon code "47000LOWES2836S" during checkout for 10% off.

Received 3.6/5 stars based on 49 customer reviews on Lowe's.

For price comparison, a similar item is selling on Amazon for $44.99

Lowe's
See Lowe's discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Indeed. The description on the site is unclear. I bought one and now I get it. I have a Black & Decker Tri-Ratchet that ... (more)

thc (Jun. 09, 2014 @ 7:10a) |

When I saw these in-store several months ago, I thought they were SAE so I passed.
But in actuality the sockets are each ... (more)

disenchanted (Jun. 11, 2014 @ 6:23a) |

thanks. picked a couple up. There were 2 more left.

I also bought a 1/4 and 3/4 extension for 2.50.

jolpot (Jul. 13, 2014 @ 9:09a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
The comparison to Amazon is completely false. You can get a better set at Home Depot for $13.

Or a better one at Harbor Freight for $15.

The $5 deal isn't bad, but let's not pretend it normally costs $45.

rated:

rated:
jonah000 said:   The comparison to Amazon is completely false. You can get a better set at Home Depot for $13.

Or a better one at Harbor Freight for $15.

The $5 deal isn't bad, but let's not pretend it normally costs $45.

Speaking of false comparison,
1. HD and HF are 1/4", this is 3/8"
2. HD and HF are NOT extensible and double drive (twist in either directions and socket turned)
3. I would stay away from the $6 set from Sears, these are junks that are made by same manuf (usually in India/Pak/China) with cheap casting, poor specs/fitting and weak gears.  They are also sold at HF for $3 link and have many many returns.  If you want one at Sears wait for the 10 piece craftman that goes on sale once in a while link 
Reading the reviews, looks like people do NOT know how to use this item correctly.  They are made in Taiwan (much better than India/Pak/China) and has lifetime warranty.  $5 is a no brainer.  BTW, HF carried comparable extensible 3/8" rachet around $12-$15, with no double drive but worth every penny link 

rated:
Wow it is showing 2.48 at my store!

rated:
No in store pick up though! Pass

rated:
Yep, just got these for 2.48 each as well. With the $10 off $50, I got 24 of them for $2.06 each, free shipping.

rated:
This is a good deal on a handy ratchet, the sockets and "accessories" are pretty much junk. That may be a little harsh on the sockets, but honestly, they are Chinese made SAE sockets. If the sockets were metric, this would be an even better deal, but as it is, it is a good deal, just not great.

Kobalt and Husky Tools (the house brands and Lowes and Home Depot) have been made in China for several years now, as are most Craftsman tools, so being made in China is kind of hard to avoid without spending a lot of money these days. I am in for one of these, I can always use a half decent novelty ratchet, it may be years from now, but I have no doubt eventually this tool will be perfect for something that is a PITA otherwise.

rated:
Where do you see that it is 3/8" drive?

The specs on the Lowes website don't say what size it is.

rated:
"mechanics" tool set? maybe for your push mower, or if you work at jiffy lube....

rated:
spdracer5g said:   This is a good deal on a handy ratchet, the sockets and "accessories" are pretty much junk. That may be a little harsh on the sockets, but honestly, they are Chinese made SAE sockets. If the sockets were metric, this would be an even better deal, but as it is, it is a good deal, just not great.

Kobalt and Husky Tools (the house brands and Lowes and Home Depot) have been made in China for several years now, as are most Craftsman tools, so being made in China is kind of hard to avoid without spending a lot of money these days. I am in for one of these, I can always use a half decent novelty ratchet, it may be years from now, but I have no doubt eventually this tool will be perfect for something that is a PITA otherwise.

Mine said made in Taiwan not China.

rated:
jonah000 said:   Where do you see that it is 3/8" drive?

The specs on the Lowes website don't say what size it is.

It's 3/8".  Roll over image for zoom link

rated:
theabsinthehare said:   Yep, just got these for 2.48 each as well. With the $10 off $50, I got 24 of them for $2.06 each, free shipping.
  At what zipcode?

rated:
Timelord said:   3. I would stay away from the $6 set from Sears, these are junks that are made by same manuf (usually in India/Pak/China) with cheap casting, poor specs/fitting and weak gears.  They are also sold at HF for $3 link and have many many returns.  If you want one at Sears wait for the 10 piece craftman that goes on sale once in a while link 
Reading the reviews, looks like people do NOT know how to use this item correctly.  They are made in Taiwan (much better than India/Pak/China) and has lifetime warranty.  $5 is a no brainer.  BTW, HF carried comparable extensible 3/8" rachet around $12-$15, with no double drive but worth every penny link 

Kobalt's "double drive" gimmick that turns the socket the same way when you ratchet it back and forth has weak gears per the reviews. Can you describe how people are using it incorrectly? I've never heard of someone being able to strip gears in a ratchet due to misuse, except by putting way too much force through it...and I've never seen so large a percentage of reviews of a ratchet from people putting way too much force through it.

You're right about the HF telescoping 3/8 & 1/4 drive ratchet, I've had it for at least a year and it is great. Ratchet, direction reverse, and telescoping mechanisms all work smoothly, and it takes a beating. It's the first ratchet I take out, and usually the only one, for jobs that don't require 1/2" drive. I also bought the telescoping 1/2" ratchet for those jobs...
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-extendable-ratchet-98...

rated:
That code only takes 10% off for me.

rated:
With a price of $17.48

rated:
BadSull said:   With a price of $17.48
Try changing your preferred store location. That was the price at one location near me, but when I changed it most of the others were $4.98. The 10% coupon knocks it down to $4.48.

rated:
What ZIP code for the 2.48 price

rated:
I have this and paid more and it is great. The twisting feature comes in really handy on the cars where space is limited. it is best used once the screw has been started by a breaker bar first.

rated:
thc said:   
Timelord said:   3. I would stay away from the $6 set from Sears, these are junks that are made by same manuf (usually in India/Pak/China) with cheap casting, poor specs/fitting and weak gears.  They are also sold at HF for $3 link and have many many returns.  If you want one at Sears wait for the 10 piece craftman that goes on sale once in a while link 

Kobalt's "double drive" gimmick that turns the socket the same way when you ratchet it back and forth has weak gears per the reviews. Can you describe how people are using it incorrectly? I've never heard of someone being able to strip gears in a ratchet due to misuse, except by putting way too much force through it...and I've never seen so large a percentage of reviews of a ratchet from people putting way too much force through it.

If you read most reviewed at Lowe's you'll see some really stupid comments; like all reviews at any places (Amazon, Newegg) most served as weekend comedy events for me.  Take it with a grain of salt and know how to ignore the stupid ones or irrelevant ones.
Concerning the "double drive" gimmick, yes the gear can be weak (but having it 3/8" definitely help) so I would NOT use it to remove tire lugs.  I remember how painful it was to replace my fencing because of limited space for racheting; with the "double drive" it would of cut the time at least by half!   Common sense would dictates that you use regular (even non-racheting) wrench to loosen the bolt first, then use the "double drive" to remove it fast.  Also remember that since this is also "extensible", you can put a lot of torque on it without really knowing that you did.

rated:
Thank you.  Changing stores worked.

rated:
Looks like a few Kobalt tools on sale:

Kobalt 70-Piece Standard (SAE) Mechanic's Tool Set $29.95 Was: $89.98
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1catalogId=10051&pro...

Kobalt 2-Piece Self Adjusting Locking Pliers $4.98 Was: $12.98
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=10051&pr...

Kobalt Triple Cut $4.98 Was: $12.98
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=10051&pr...

rated:
You have no clue what are talking about . This is not even close to Sears or Home Depot - rotating handle without any swinging movement will rotate the screw - very handy. Paid over 20 for inferior one in Harbor Freight. Ordering 2 more

rated:
Still getting error 237 on Lowes site when trying to buy. Called them and they have no idea why. Been like this for a month. Anyone have any ideas?

rated:
zr57 said:   You have no clue what are talking about . This is not even close to Sears or Home Depot - rotating handle without any swinging movement will rotate the screw - very handy. Paid over 20 for inferior one in Harbor Freight. Ordering 2 more
Indeed. The description on the site is unclear. I bought one and now I get it. I have a Black & Decker Tri-Ratchet that has the same function.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RCT100-TriRatchet-Ratchet/dp/...
It is better because you can remove the handle and expose a standard 1/4" hex drive to use with a drill or ratcheting screwdriver handle.

This Kobalt one does let you twist the handle in both directions though. The twisting action isn't smooth, it keeps snagging, so I'm not too confident that this thing will exceed its reviews. It includes what appears to be a magnet-loaded 1/4" socket to use with the included 1/4" hex drive screwdriver bits, which could be quite useful for getting in places with little clearance.

I don't think I'll be using the "universal" spline drive sockets. They always seem like a "one size fits all...badly" thing to me. I have to use decent six-point sockets on my seized, rusted fasteners just to get my work done, using crappy sockets usually means rounded heads. However, these spline drive sockets that I don't care for may be perfect to hammer on to the occasional rounded head.

If I can find them for $2.48 like theabsinthehare did then I'll stock up, but at $5 I'll just stick with the one. Does anyone know of a Lowes inventory/price checker to make it easier to find a location near me with that price? Lowes.com is clunky for checking lots of locations.

rated:
spdracer5g said:   This is a good deal on a handy ratchet, the sockets and "accessories" are pretty much junk. That may be a little harsh on the sockets, but honestly, they are Chinese made SAE sockets. If the sockets were metric, this would be an even better deal, but as it is, it is a good deal, just not great.

When I saw these in-store several months ago, I thought they were SAE so I passed.
But in actuality the sockets are each a dual size, "Universal",  "SAE/Metric", so they are good for either.

The smallest socket is a 5/16 - 8mm , all the way up to a 5/8 - 16mm

I got the last couple at my local store and overall they look fairly decent.

rated:
thanks. picked a couple up. There were 2 more left.

I also bought a 1/4 and 3/4 extension for 2.50.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014