• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

FI9804W (75.34kB)
Disclaimer
Foscam 720P Outdoor HD Wireless IP Camera (FI9804W) - $109.99 from WickedSpec and Fulfilled by Amazon

LINK 

• Fixed 720p Wireless IP camera
  • H.264 compression
  • 12 IR night vision LEDs 
  • 2.8 mm lens
  • 1280 x 720 Resolution

Next lowest price is $144.00 at B&H and Adorama 
4 / 5 stars based on 27 customer reviews at Amazon

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My comments:
That lens is fairly narrow (consistent with IR lighting) - just be aware of the field of vision.
Generally, I like the Dericam better than the Foscam - The Foscam finally stepped up their resolution.
Both are made out of China.  Foscam will only warranty cameras that are bought directly.  In this case, you'd have to go back through the re-seller.
I have two outdoor Foscams.  50% failure rate at 1.5 years.  1 year warranty.
Dericam about the same failure rate...

Commercial level IP cameras are 2-3x more, so you're buying a consumer grade camera here.  Although rated for "outdoor" use - it's best to keep them out of the water and or sun if you can help it.

rated:
Pros:Great color and sharpness of picture
Con: IR LED Lights do not switch off in AUTO mode even in full sun

rated:
I got a little encouragement from FW staff to break this down more.
I've owned 4 outdoor cameras split between Foscam and Dericam in the last 2 years. 
Dericam, I've been buying the H216W.
Foscam, I have 2 x FI8905W, which was the lower resolution model of the FI9804W that the OP is posting about.
The FI9804W is 720p, which brings it up to resolution spec with the Dericam H216W.

Functionality:
1) Both cameras H216W / FI9804W operate at 12V.  This is a change for the Foscam model.  Most people won't care, but I think it's an improvement as the Foscams were drawing max amps from their 5V adapters prior.  They'll draw less amps (easier on the adapters) at 12v.  It also makes it easier to do remove 12V setups using deep cycle batteries.
2) They're now equal in resolution, with the Dericam being about $10 cheaper to the deal that the OP mentioned.
3) The H216W has a 65 degree of vision.  The FI9804W is now wider  - 70 degrees.. This is a change from the Foscams that I have.
4) Expect both cameras to lose IR with that field of vision around the edges.
5) The Dericam has replacement lenses that you can buy.  Focam does not.  Replacing the lens requires quite a bit of disassembly of the camera, you'll need to be an electronics tinkerer to take it on.  But it'll allow you to get the focal length that you want.
6) Both cameras are made in China.
7) Foscam appears to be the larger company.  Dericam is smaller and appears to buy the camera hardware from another provider.  They simply re-write the firmware.
8) Software to me is basically the same... Alarm features, FTP, email, DNS features.  It's all pretty much the same in my mind.

Warranty:
1) Both come with a "1 year" warranty.
2) In the case of Foscam, this warranty appears to be good if you buy from Foscam directly - not through a reseller.  Otherwise, you have to warranty the camera through the reseller.  For *some* high volume resellers, good luck getting them to warranty anything after your chargeback window expires.
3) In the case of Dericam, these are largely sold through an individual (Andy.Ling) via eBay and other outlets.  Andy acts as a "middle man" and will attempt to resolve problems.  Dericam or Andy (can't tell which) are very reluctant to warranty these cameras after the chargeback window.  If they do, expect to pay $35 to ship them back to China.

Support:
1) Foscam support seems to vary greatly.  Again, to get support, you need to buy the camera directly, not through a reseller.  Support is foreign and I read that wait times are long. 
2) Dericam - you're with Andy.  They'll do just about anything not to have to replace that camera.  In my case, they asked me to setup alternate subnet network to do some debugging and I literally spent over 4 hours at it.. It was far beyond what most consumers would consider acceptable.  I was only able to get them to take the failed camera back after creating a leverage situation (PM me).

Reliability:
Note, both are outdoor cameras, indoors, things should be better.
1) Foscam: After 1.5 years, I've had a 50% failure rate with my Foscams.  I've also replaced one power adapter.  The Foscam had some total failure that made it inaccessible.
2) Dericam: After 9 months, I had an Dericam fail.  It's firmware reverted internally somehow and it goes into some sort of basic "call home" mode.  This camera is actually powered by batteries, not an adapter, so I can't speak to adapter reliability.

Price:
1) Dericam is $10-$20 cheaper than this "deal" at Amazon from a non-direct seller.

These are items that I'd probably encourage a "squaretrade" warranty on...

rated:
Do you need a NVR or DVR for this to work? Or can I just stream it live to a phone/computer on the network?

rated:
How many watts or amps does this draw?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014