• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
There is a similar post about this here 

What makes this post different is that I include links. As I said, YMMV, but, at least you should be able to see what you'd be getting if you sign up, without having to call.

I also posted the links in the other post, but i feel they are buried as a reply making them difficult to find, enjoy!

Links:
$60 internet, TV and phone, fixed for 2 years, equipment extra
verizon.com/fios/2yf

$50 internet, TV, fixed for 1 year, equipment extra
verizon.com/fios/4ou

$50 internet, TV, fixed for 1 year, equipment extra, español
verizon.com/fios/6da

Member Summary

Verizon Fios Internet TV (3.33kB)
Thanks zimphella
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
ALL these Verizon "deals" are bogus for the most part.  No Matter what you do, your final bill will always be between $140-180, for ANY sort of decent speed with equipment/DVR service costs and various "taxes".  Their pricing scheme is Machiavellian at best.

Sure you can have $60 service if you want super slow speeds and no good TV channels and have one TV to hook up, no DVR.  That bill will STILL be $90+ I bet all said and done.

Yes, I am an expert at this having FIOS installed recently.  Current customer, but also hooked up new customer service in the last week at a new state/address.  75/35 internet, next to bottom tier TV lineup, 6-channel Quantum DVR plus boxes for two more TVs.  Bill is "estimated" to be around $150.  The Quantum box alone is like $23 for the 6 version, plus DVR service on top of that.

rated:
Taco said:   ALL these Verizon "deals" are bogus for the most part.  No Matter what you do, your final bill will always be between $140-180, for ANY sort of decent speed with equipment/DVR service costs and various "taxes".  Their pricing scheme is Machiavellian at best.

Sure you can have $60 service if you want super slow speeds and no good TV channels and have one TV to hook up, no DVR.  That bill will STILL be $90+ I bet all said and done.

Yes, I am an expert at this having FIOS installed recently.  Current customer, but also hooked up new customer service in the last week at a new state/address.  75/35 internet, next to bottom tier TV lineup, 6-channel Quantum DVR plus boxes for two more TVs.  Bill is "estimated" to be around $150.  The Quantum box alone is like $23 for the 6 version, plus DVR service on top of that.

Or just rent a cablecard and set up your own box and dvr.

rated:
russ0519 said:   
Taco said:   ALL these Verizon "deals" are bogus for the most part.  No Matter what you do, your final bill will always be between $140-180, for ANY sort of decent speed with equipment/DVR service costs and various "taxes".  Their pricing scheme is Machiavellian at best.

My understanding is that you need at least one tv equipment for 11.99 and then can use additional cable card for 3.99 or something. 

rated:
I've had Fios for about 4 years.  I love the service, but as others have pointed out, the pricing scheme is irritating.  My contract expires in August & I'm switching back to Cox when the contract is up.  Fios internet is top notch as advertised, you always get speeds slightly higher than advertised...and they never fall below that speed!  I have 15/5 internet & a cable package with DVR & 2 add'l cable boxes--my bill now that my discounts have expired (except for $5/mo credit) is $137/mo!  Looking at Cox packages for new subscribers--I think I can save $20-30 and get some extras like premium channels for a while.

I've tried contacting Verizon to get retention deals, but they just don't do it.  I'd jump all over it if I could get new subscriber rates...but once they remove the discounts, the price skyrockets!

rated:
raringvt said:   I've had Fios for about 4 years.  I love the service, but as others have pointed out, the pricing scheme is irritating.  My contract expires in August & I'm switching back to Cox when the contract is up.  Fios internet is top notch as advertised, you always get speeds slightly higher than advertised...and they never fall below that speed!  I have 15/5 internet & a cable package with DVR & 2 add'l cable boxes--my bill now that my discounts have expired (except for $5/mo credit) is $137/mo!  Looking at Cox packages for new subscribers--I think I can save $20-30 and get some extras like premium channels for a while.

I've tried contacting Verizon to get retention deals, but they just don't do it.  I'd jump all over it if I could get new subscriber rates...but once they remove the discounts, the price skyrockets!

From what I heard you can cancel and reorder the same day and get the new customer deals.  I usually switch back and forth between me and the wife (who's got a diff last name) every year or two. 

rated:
aprince1 said:   
russ0519 said:   

My understanding is that you need at least one tv equipment for 11.99 and then can use additional cable card for 3.99 or something. 

Although i do currently have one cable box with dvr for $16.99, I didn't know that was a requirement.  I saw in the other thread people mentioning that they only have a single cablecard with tivo to get 6 channels at once.

rated:
I got quantum 75/35 with local TV. I did not rent any equipment and just using QAM tuner on my TV. (Using an antenna, I was getting local HD channels but the reception was not great as I am located quite a bit outside of the city but now I get solid signal - My understanding is that I will probably get few more channels if I just rent a box)

With tax and everything, it is $71.

rated:
Guys, the deals are legit.
I had the triple bundle, the total bill was under $70 with all taxes and equipment.

I now downsized to the double bundle and my bill should be under $60.

They'll try to get you to get a DVR, just say no. Instead, rent their cable card for $4 (i think) and get a Tivo series 3 or higher with lifetime service from eBay. Great digital DVR service, and no extra monthly payment.

Make sure you have the Tivo when the guy comes to connect your service, and make sure it works right before he leaves. 

Say no to whatever else they might try to sell you too. Trust me, you'll be happy you didnt.

Your bill will not be higher than $70. Give it a try, I have not seen it get better than this with Verizon.

rated:

Don't know why you got red. The link worked for me and after adding those extras (3 TV and DVR services), the total went up to $125 (for the 1st 12 then $145 starting in the 2nd year).

rated:
emmagata said:   

Don't know why you got red. The link worked for me and after adding those extras (3 TV and DVR services), the total went up to $125 (for the 1st 12 then $145 starting in the 2nd year).

Because they all think they are smarter by pointing out you can get cheaper by not getting Verizon equipment.  REALLY?  I never thought of that. /sarcasm

By not getting a verizon DVR box you don't get On Demand, or it doesn't work properly.  Same goes for the router.  You can get better than the verizion Gig-E router, but you still need a verizon router for proper DVR/On Demand operation.  It is possible to setup separate routers though, the verizon just for TV, and your own for internet/wireless.

The reds don't know what they are talking about.

rated:
russ0519 said:   aprince1 said:   
russ0519 said:   

Although i do currently have one cable box with dvr for $16.99, I didn't know that was a requirement.  I saw in the other thread people mentioning that they only have a single cablecard with tivo to get 6 channels at once.

I tried to order just Internet n TV (without equipment) online and it won't even go through. They sort of force to get TV. Has anyone been able to order just TV n cable card (no equipment) from Verizon?

rated:
>$50 internet, TV, fixed for 1 year, equipment extra
>verizon.com/fios/4ou

This is a 2 year contract. From the fine print at the bottom:
$50/mo. offer: Limited-time offer for new FiOS TV and Internet res. custs. subscribing to a new FiOS TV Local and FiOS 50/25 Mbps Internet and HBO or Showtime. Promo rate via $22.99 bill credit for 12 mos. and $2.99 bill credit for mos. 13-24; beg. mo. 25 stand. monthly rates apply. HBO or Showtime discount applied via bill credit for 24 mos.; beg. mo. 25 stand. programming rates apply.

rated:
saidiadude said:   >$50 internet, TV, fixed for 1 year, equipment extra
>verizon.com/fios/4ou

This is a 2 year contract. From the fine print at the bottom:
$50/mo. offer: Limited-time offer for new FiOS TV and Internet res. custs. subscribing to a new FiOS TV Local and FiOS 50/25 Mbps Internet and HBO or Showtime. Promo rate via $22.99 bill credit for 12 mos. and $2.99 bill credit for mos. 13-24; beg. mo. 25 stand. monthly rates apply. HBO or Showtime discount applied via bill credit for 24 mos.; beg. mo. 25 stand. programming rates apply.

saidiadude: not everyone will get this offer, which may or may not include a contract. The exact offer will depend on your exact address.
The idea of this post is to show those who are eligible that they qualify for the deals listed here without having to call Verizon.
Most times, you cannot call Verizon and ask them if you qualify. I tried several times and failed. Only through these links am I able to get those deals reliably.
If someone knows a better deal for the same or lower monthly price, i'd like to know.

rated:
aprince1 said: I tried to order just Internet n TV (without equipment) online and it won't even go through. They sort of force to get TV. Has anyone been able to order just TV n cable card (no equipment) from Verizon?
  You need at least one modem (which should be free) and a cable card as equipment.
Without those two the order would not go through.
My subscription is with just a cable card. When the cable guy came to do the installation he asked where my Tivo was, he installed it and it has been great since.
He also said that without the Tivo he couldnt install the TV.

rated:
DominiDude said:   
aprince1 said: I tried to order just Internet n TV (without equipment) online and it won't even go through. They sort of force to get TV. Has anyone been able to order just TV n cable card (no equipment) from Verizon?
  You need at least one modem (which should be free) and a cable card as equipment.
Without those two the order would not go through.
My subscription is with just a cable card. When the cable guy came to do the installation he asked where my Tivo was, he installed it and it has been great since.
He also said that without the Tivo he couldnt install the TV.

Just signed up with them for internet only. Modem wasn't free, decided to buy the modem for $99 as it ended up being a lot less than the cost of a rental. I'm not paying $500+ for a Tivo or a monthly fee for it... went with an antenna.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014