• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Amazon.com : Sony NEX-6L/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LED Black : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera Photo
Disclaimer
Deal just got hotter.

Was originally posted at $529.99, before lowered to $519.99 a few days ago. Now it's even cheaper at $498.00 shipped and sold by Amazon.com which is an awesome deal for it. Amazon link 

Previous threads for reference: 1 2 

Highlights:

• 16.1MP APS-C sensor, up to 10 fps shooting
  • Fast Hybrid AF with phase detection
  • AVCHD™ 1080 60p/60i/24p HD movies
  • XGA OLED electronic viewfinder
  • Built-in Wi-Fi®
  • Quick Navi controls
  • E-mount 16-50mm lens

I used to have a NEX-5N with the 18-55 kit lens and sold that on CL after getting the NEX-6 with 16-50 PZ kit lens included. I also have the SEL35F18 prime lens and the SEL20F28 pancake lens which are both great lenses to have on the lower (wide) coverage. I primarily use the 20mm pancake with decent light since it's nice and wide and switch to the 35mm prime in low light, or the 16-50PZ when prime lenses won't work and I need something more versatile and low light isn't an issue.

What I love:
- Wi-Fi (I use PlayMemories App on my Windows 7 laptop and Android smartphone to get pics from my camera without needing to use the USB cable)
- On-board charging through the micro-USB port  (no need to carry an external battery charger)
- Hybrid phase and contrast detect for faster focusing (vs. contrast only detect from my old NEX-5N)
- electronic viewfinder which automatically toggles on through a proximity sensor (awesome for bright outdoor use, not having to use the screen)
- 16-50mm power zoom lens compactness and reduced weight (vs. the 18-55 kit lens from my old NEX-5N)
- it retained the articulating screen from the NEX-5N (can't do self portraits as the screen doesn't flip 180degrees but you can use Wi-Fi to remotely view and trip the shutter, YAY!)
- universal hotshoe vs. proprietary port (actually a bit of a lie, it's Sony's Multi Interface Shoe which combines universal hotshoe and their own port, so best of both worlds I suppose)

What I don't mind:
- Increased size, but not a bad trade off considering better grip, ergonomics and weight seems the same thanks to lighter 16-50mm PZ lens.
- Loss of touch screen, but not a bad trade off considering I've adapted quite well as the new physical mode dial accomplishes about 80% of what I used to do on the touch screen.
- 16-50 PZ lens doesn't feel as nice as the 18-55 manual zoom kit lens but not bad considering it's made it MUCH more pocket-able which is why I got the NEX in the first place.

What I don't love:
- Decreased battery life, reviews say less shots per charge, even less when using the EVF a lot. I have played with the settings to maximize battery life.

If you were on the fence about it, this is a great price for a very competent mirrorless interchangeable lens camera from Sony.
The reason the price is so low is because it's being clearanced out in favor of newer models with better hybrid phase detection, different screen articulation, new Alpha naming instead of NEX, etc.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014