• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
Disclaimer
use promo code: EMCYTZG679

SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB Cache
High performance with Seagate AcuTrac servo technology, Seagate OptiCache technology
2-year limited warranty

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338 

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Bought one of these as a backup drive six months ago and so far so good.  Quiet and so far reliable.  Wouldn't use it as an OS drive though, due to 5900RPM.  Paid $179 at that time and thought it was a deal......you gotta love technology prices.

One caveat though, these things do appear to have a higher DOA rate than I like to see.

FYI... there is a limit of 5 per order and you can use the promo code on each one. I bought 2 for $270 and used my $15 off Amex offer to sweeten the deal, as well as Shoprunner to get it in 2 days. Pretty awesome deal at 127.50/drive!

How is the reliability of this drive? How does it compare to the slightly more expensive WD Red for $179 at Amazon?
I wouldn't mind paying +$35 to avoid the headache of a failed hard drive in a NAS. Thanks.

Sonu said:   How is the reliability of this drive? How does it compare to the slightly more expensive WD Red for $179 at Amazon?
I wouldn't mind paying +$35 to avoid the headache of a failed hard drive in a NAS. Thanks.

Don't know what to tell you.  I haven't had mine in my rig enough time to make a valued judgement.  As a personal preference, WD has fallen slightly out of favor in my book just due to my recent experiences, so I favor Seagate.  Having said that, it seems that since the duopoly was created in the HDD market and all the smaller competitors were bought-up, quality control has gone down.  Also, as drives get bigger and bigger, their failure rate seems to increase proportionally.

Here's an article that might interest you, unfortunately it appears that their findings were a bit inconclusive in choosing a clear winner:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5790/nas-hdd-showdown-wd-red-v... 

Or of you're in a warranty-risking mood, buy this Samsung USB 3.0 drive for $20 less but with a 3-year warranty, and pop it open (instructions ) to get to the Seagate SATA drive inside.

Seagate drives are zero in terms of reliability. I'm not very sure about this.

rockymast said:   Seagate drives are zero in terms of reliability. I'm not very sure about this.
  Any proof on your assertion?

To really understand the issue, and to be fair to all mfgs, all hard drives are mechanical, therefore inherently designed to fail... nothing lasts forever (on in the case of hard drives, not very long). So if you use it long enough, a mechanical drive WILL fail... eventually. No one has been able to predict reliability of one manufacturer vs. another (in other words, the WHEN, not IF) because the fact they all fail muddies the picture.

So bottom-line one person's bad experience is not representative of that manufacturer, regardless of how much of an expert the person is or how upset they are from the failure of a handful of drives. You would need to show global stats of all drives ever made in production, along with % of all returns, or some kind of Consumer Reports-like report, and that data just does not exist.

Mulox said:   To really understand the issue, and to be fair to all mfgs, all hard drives are mechanical, therefore inherently designed to fail... nothing lasts forever (on in the case of hard drives, not very long). So if you use it long enough, a mechanical drive WILL fail... eventually. No one has been able to predict reliability of one manufacturer vs. another (in other words, the WHEN, not IF) because the fact they all fail muddies the picture.

So bottom-line one person's bad experience is not representative of that manufacturer, regardless of how much of an expert the person is or how upset they are from the failure of a handful of drives. You would need to show global stats of all drives ever made in production, along with % of all returns, or some kind of Consumer Reports-like report, and that data just does not exist.

I think this Google report is the closest thing to the bible of hard drive reliability analysis:
Google Report 

I should say that the report does not name brands.  There is a study out there from Backblaze that does name brands and if I remember correctly Hitachi was the most reliable, then WD, then Seagate, but that study had limited models, so not sure how much you can interpolate that into overall name brand reliability.  One of my favs was Samsung, but that got bought-up by Seagate.

The last thing I will add is that there is also three different categories of hard drives too; consumer, NAS, & Enterprise.

So as Mulox eloquently stated below, it is quite difficult (maybe impossible) to name the most reliable brand of hard drives.

Excellent report, thanks for sharing! Conclusion on page 12 sums it up best... basically:

1. All data published by vendors and others to date is invalid and incomplete
2. There is no correlation between higher temps and higher utilization and failure (meaning other things contribute)
3. Some SMART parameters are well correlated. Ex. After first scan error, drives are 39 times more likely to fail in next 60 days
4. However, despite those strong correlations, failure prediction based on SMART alone are severely limited in their prediction
accuracy, given that a large fraction of failed drives showed no SMART error signals whatsoever.

I hope that bitflock becomes a success so that data on hard drive reliability can be crowd-sourced.

In the meantime I can only provide a single data point: I ordered two ST2000VN000 drives in April, one died in May, exchanged it under warranty, the replacement died in June.
I'm going back to WD.

TheNastySheriff said:   Bought one of these as a backup drive six months ago and so far so good.  Quiet and so far reliable.  Wouldn't use it as an OS drive though, due to 5900RPM.  Paid $179 at that time and thought it was a deal......you gotta love technology prices.

One caveat though, these things do appear to have a higher DOA rate than I like to see.

I have to apologies & I hope I did not mislead anybody. I did not pick up on the slight part number difference between this drive and the 4TB hard drive I purchased previously.  This deal is for the ST4000DM000 which is a desktop model, but I purchased the ST4000VN000 which is a NAS drive.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014