• 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
&/16 to 7/26

Sears Auto

$14.99 oil change up to 5 quarts and filter

More deals in the official Kmart & Sears $5 off $50 coupon thread.
Member Summary

sears (107.51kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Anyone know where to find the actual printable Oil Change coupon
as opposed to a picture of it? Oh yea, my anecdote abo... (more)

CardzXtcetera (Jul. 25, 2014 @ 11:05a) |

Well, that is true.  You just gotta trust them.  If you think you can't, go to another shop.  It's not like reputable sh... (more)

nixGuru (Jul. 25, 2014 @ 3:34p) |

I  *don't* trust them...  I do have a mechanic that I trust, and who doesn't try to 'upsell' anything.  He does what nee... (more)

mrdjman (Jul. 26, 2014 @ 8:49a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
If I bring in my own oil and filter will they do it for free?

Edit: WTF why the red? It's a fair question.  Especially since my car needs synthetic.

rated:
russ0519 said:   If I bring in my own oil and filter will they do it for free?

Edit: WTF why the red? It's a fair question.  Especially since my car needs synthetic.

I see that you never took any economics classes. If you had a bakery and everyone brought in their supplies and expected you to mix and bake for free, where is the profit?

I'm painting my house, but using your logic, if I give you the paint and supplies, you will paint for free......come on over.....

rated:
You can always find place to do oil change cheaper than you get your own supplies, but I don't expect all of them do a good job like myself. BTW, most of them charge $2-3 shop fee. Really! How much paper towels did you use to wipe clean the dip stick!

rated:

Some people say there are no stupid questions. Obviously you found a counter example, since you apparently expect them to not just do the work for free, but also assume some level of liability for free.

rated:

You're not thinking logically, as per the examples why this is an illogical question. How in the world did you get those badges anyway? That is my question...

Also, if you had replied "I was being sarcastic, funny" then your comment may have met with less negative response. But you were serious, dude. Thus the Red.

rated:

Now, before people give him red... I am not sure if he was asking "will they do the whole thing for free" or "will they use my oil for no extra charge (free)". 

I've brought them my own oil/filter and they did it at a discount, but it's not as much as you'd think.  I think they ended up charging me like $13 for the labor.  I gave them synthetic oil too. 

rated:
ohmic314 said:   

Now, before people give him red... I am not sure if he was asking "will they do the whole thing for free" or "will they use my oil for no extra charge (free)". 

I've brought them my own oil/filter and they did it at a discount, but it's not as much as you'd think.  I think they ended up charging me like $13 for the labor.  I gave them synthetic oil too. 

Back to economics.

Would I change the oil for free if someone brought there own supplies?  No

Would I change the oil for the same fee ($14.99) if "they use my oil for no extra charge (free)"?  Yes, and add to my profit from not using my own materials.

To each, I say, "huh?"

rated:
Remember Sears is using the $15 price to get you in and maybe do some $$ work

Example $40 to rotate the tires, $32 to rebalance your tires, etc

Most likely Sears has a labor and materials cost higher than the $15 they are asking for the oil change

I get my oil changed at the dealer for free, this isn't for everyone, but a lot better than the Normal $40 oil changes

rated:
I remember seeing a flyer this week for Sears Auto which offers oil change + tire rotation for $20. Which is a pretty good deal consider how much time and sweat it took. However, I am skeptical if they do a better job than Jiffy Lube.

rated:
Russ was asking if they will do the LABOR for free if he brought in his own oil and filter. Still, where in America is labor free???

rated:
guilty1 said:   
ohmic314 said:   

Back to economics.

Would I change the oil for the same fee ($14.99) if "they use my oil for no extra charge (free)"?  Yes, and add to my profit from not using my own materials.

To each, I say, "huh?"

Red for mis-use of their there they're.

rated:
Genuine pre-recycled oil? Like the used batteries being sold there as new a while ago?

rated:
LORENW said:   Remember Sears is using the $15 price to get you in and maybe do some $$ work

Example $40 to rotate the tires, $32 to rebalance your tires, etc

Most likely Sears has a labor and materials cost higher than the $15 they are asking for the oil change

I get my oil changed at the dealer for free, this isn't for everyone, but a lot better than the Normal $40 oil changes

No such thing as getting anything "free" at a stealer.
A true Fat Walleter would be changing their own oil in a used Crown Vic with at least 200k miles. 

rated:
1. Buy car ramps for oil change $40
2. Buy oil and filter (~$10)
2. Spend 2 mins to drive car up on ramp and unscrew one bolt
3. Watch TV for 30mins
4. Spend 5 mins to screw back on bolt, unscrew old oil filter, put on new oil filter, and fill car with oil.
Less than 10 mins actual work for oil change!!!!

Or be a lazy fool and pay someone 30-60 bucks...and wait an hour in some shop!!!!

rated:
mavmariaman said:   1. Buy car ramps for oil change $40
3. Watch TV for 30mins
4. Spend 5 mins to screw back on bolt, unscrew old oil filter, put on new oil filter, and fill car with oil.

Or be a lazy fool and pay someone 30-60 bucks...and wait an hour in some shop!!!!

I don't know what Sears shop you might have been to, but in Ann Arbor, you'll wait most of the day for a simple oil change.

rated:
I gave up on Sears oil changes years ago. No matter when I would show up...8:00AM/3:00PM on Wed..Tues Sun etc etc, they could never do it. Always an excuse. So I now use Valvoline quick lube with coupons +19.99. And actually out in 12 minutes with no hard sell. Well worth it. And do you know how many stories I have read about cars falling off ramps and killing the cheapskate underneath. And how much time is spent trying to deliver the used oil to a shop for recycling? And I keep my cars very immaculate, would never put used oil in it to deliver to recycling center. Ever hear of containers leaking!!

rated:
Last time I got an oil change at Sears they forgot to put in a new oil filter...so I was driving 3000 miles w/ no oil filter! I realize dumb things happen and people make mistakes but how can you forget to put in a new oil filter? Buyer beware at Sears!

rated:
mistadeal said:   
guilty1 said:   
ohmic314 said:   

Back to economics.

To each, I say, "huh?"

Red for mis-use of their there they're.

Red for giving Red to those who were not taught proper grammer from an educator such as I. Bad teachers or they were not listening. They're ya go....(oops).

rated:
Claymore said:   
3. Watch TV for 30mins

I don't know what Sears shop you might have been to, but in Ann Arbor, you'll wait most of the day for a simple oil change.

He's saying that's what he does when he changes his oil.  But he forgets that not every car is one bolt and done.

rated:
3. Watch TV for 30mins

Here, let me make it even easier for you (for about a $30 investment):
Fumoto Quick Drain Valve 
I've been using these for 12 years or so of half a dozen different cars, and I can almost change my oil in a white t-shirt now.  Get the one with a nipple, if available for your car, to drain oil directly into a milk carton or 5-qt oil bottle.

Edit: probably closer to 14 years.

rated:

rated:
tsankey said:   Last time I got an oil change at Sears they forgot to put in a new oil filter...so I was driving 3000 miles w/ no oil filter!

So, you have a miracle engine that can operate for over 40 hours with zero oil pressure?

rated:
3. Watch TV for 30mins

What do you do with your used oil?

rated:
SUB said:   
3. Watch TV for 30mins

What do you do with your used oil?

Most parts stores like advance take it. Many, all?, Wal-Mart's that do oil changes take it as well.

rated:
tsankey said:   Last time I got an oil change at Sears they forgot to put in a new oil filter...so I was driving 3000 miles w/ no oil filter! I realize dumb things happen and people make mistakes but how can you forget to put in a new oil filter? Buyer beware at Sears!

I call BS on that. No car will run 3K miles without oil. The oil will drain out within no time if it is missing a filter.

rated:
3. Watch TV for 30mins

Oil and filter are going to cost around $25 or $30 for full synthetic, which is what anyone doing their own changes should be using. 

rated:
sdiesel said:   Here's the current coupon 

"up to 5 quarts." I seriously cannot remember the last car I had that held 5....I think all three of mine are at least 8. I'm curious what they charge for the additional quarts.

rated:
Not a bad price.

Please make sure the technician does not strip or ruin your drain bolt threads.

This is caused by over tigthtening.

rated:
I you need synthetic, the coupon takes $15 off of that oil change, so there is an option on oil type

rated:
kaveh2k said:   Russ was asking if they will do the LABOR for free if he brought in his own oil and filter. Still, where in America is labor free???
  Your own garage.

rated:
tsankey said:   Last time I got an oil change at Sears they forgot to put in a new oil filter...so I was driving 3000 miles w/ no oil filter! I realize dumb things happen and people make mistakes but how can you forget to put in a new oil filter? Buyer beware at Sears!
  Last time I got my oil changed at my Nissan dealer, they forgot to put oil back in after draining.  If you can't trust a car dealer to do an oil change correctly, who can you trust?.

rated:
guilty1 said:   
ohmic314 said:   

Back to economics.

To each, I say, "huh?"

We're not talking about what makes sense.  We are talking about Sears here.  The place that regularly gives away $5-$10 a week just for you to come into the store. 

It will take probably around an hour to change the oil.  During which time they hope I will walk around and buy stuff @ Sears.  

The coupon is $15 off a synthetic oil change.  If I bring my own oil and they subtract the oil price from the synthetic oil change, how much will the labor fees come out to be.  

I usually pay $10-$15 for the labor when getting an oil change.  If you take the $14.99 price and subtract the price of the oil & filter, how much will the labor come out to be?

I mean really, Sears is not making any money on this.  It's obviously a loss leader to get people in the door.  

rated:
DesiVibe said:   

I call BS on that. No car will run 3K miles without oil. The oil will drain out within no time if it is missing a filter.

I don't know for sure but I am assuming "tsankey" was trying to say he didn't get a "new" filter and they simply left the old filter installed.

rated:
rushhound said:   
DesiVibe said:   

I don't know for sure but I am assuming "tsankey" was trying to say he didn't get a "new" filter and they simply left the old filter installed.

Don't you need to take the filter out to change the oil?  I don't see how it would be possible to "forget" to change the filter. Unless they grabbed the old one and though it was the new one.  

rated:
3. Watch TV for 30mins

I pay more for the oil and filter, Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 oil filter.
Honestly I do it myself not to save a few bucks but for the peace of mind of knowing when I do it the process is done correctly.
I see too many stories of these places "forgetting" to replace filters, drain plugs etc.
Or they over tighten stuff like filters, drain plugs etc.
I also like knowing if I am paying for top quality synthetic oil that is what goes in my engine.  Get it done somewhere else and who knows what they are putting in your car.

I have a fast oil change place about 1/2 mile from home and they gladly take the old oil.  I just pour it back into the empty oil container.  Never had any trouble getting anything on my car transporting it to the quick change place.

DIYing isn't for everyone but as long as I am physically able I just prefer to do it myself and know it's done properly.
They could do it for free and I would still prefer to do it myself.

rated:
russ0519 said:   
rushhound said:   
DesiVibe said:   

Don't you need to take the filter out to change the oil?  I don't see how it would be possible to "forget" to change the filter. Unless they grabbed the old one and though it was the new one.  

You do not need to take the filter out. There is a drain plug at the bottom.

rated:
russ0519 said:   
rushhound said:   
DesiVibe said:   

I have never owned or even heard of a car without a drain plug.  It's quite easy to drain the oil and never touch the oil filter.

rated:
3. Watch TV for 30mins

just curious, for 2. Buy oil and filter (~$10)
Where can I buy oil and filter for $10?

Skipping 19 Messages...
rated:
I  *don't* trust them...  I do have a mechanic that I trust, and who doesn't try to 'upsell' anything.  He does what needs to be done - nothing more, nothing less.  Oil changes I typically do myself - except in the dead of winter.  It certainly saves $, isn't difficult, and takes very little time.  I keep up with 2 cars & 2 motorcycles, and probably save a few hundred a year.  An oil change on the Goldwing, alone, would normally cost around $120 at a dealer.  It costs me about $25, filter & full synthetic oil.  I'll probably continue to at least do those myself, until i'm too old & decrepit to do them anymore.

I guess if I had a good friend who was shop manager at a Sears or Midas or whatever, I may go there.  Other than that, as a few others have said - find a reputable repair shop/mechanic and go there.  The Big Box places aren't doing you any favors.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014