• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This could mean that if there an eligible computer on clearance in the store, it would be an additional $100 off (as it says original price must be $549)

$100 off select computers regularly priced $549 or more.
In-store Coupon Code: 67434
Online or Phone Coupon Code: 95676

http://www.staples.com/Take-an-extra-$100-off-on-select-Laptops-... 

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Staples
See Staples discounts that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Staples ad page 12 (66.53kB)
Thanks jpessin3
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If anyone is interested, next week the deal is $100 off computer priced $499 or more

freakinout (Aug. 03, 2014 @ 4:53p) |

It doesn't matter if its $499 or $549, the small print says it is only on select PC's so they going to put the coupon on... (more)

jpessin3 (Aug. 03, 2014 @ 9:14p) |

I'd advise against using them in the future. They were not able to sell one of their "selected" desktops at the price li... (more)

squidlips (Aug. 05, 2014 @ 12:17a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
mictester said:   This could mean that if there an eligible computer on clearance in the store, it would be an additional $100 off (as it says original price must be $549)

Discount applies to select PCs only, regularly priced $549 or more. Limit one coupon per customer. Excludes Daily Deals and clearance items. Each item purchased can only be discounted by one coupon, applied by cashier in the order received and prior to tax. Coupon not valid if purchased or sold and must be surrendered. No cash/credit back. Not valid on prior purchases or purchases made with Staples? Procurement or Convenience Cards. Minimum purchase requirement must be met with purchases to which no other coupon or instant savings offer applies. Tax and shipping not included in calculating the minimum purchase.

rated:
It works on clearance. Example:

http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-C365-All-in-One-195-Touchscreen-De... 

On clearance for $399 and $299 after coupon. Anything on that page is eligible.

rated:
This coupon is low even by Staples standards. In big letters the coupon says "Take an extra $100 off ALL laptops...regularly priced $549 or above." Then in the small print it says "Discount applies to SELECT PC'S only. I have just tested the coupon on their website and it will not apply to just any PC regularly priced $549 or above, only the ones linked to on that webpage. And notice that almost every one of the computers that the coupon applies to was $100 less last week, so the coupon is really not getting you anything.

I would like to know how it is not false advertising to say $100 off ALL laptops over $549 on the top line in big print and then say applies only to select PC's in the small print underneath.

rated:
mictester said:   It works on clearance. Example:

http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-C365-All-in-One-195-Touchscreen-De... 

On clearance for $399 and $299 after coupon. Anything on that page is eligible.

Looks like the price on that now is $549 (before $100 off).
And the Dell Inspiron listed on that page does not qualify for the $100 off. Am I missing something or is $taples just playing games?

rated:
jpessin3 said:   This coupon is low even by Staples standards. In big letters the coupon says "Take an extra $100 off ALL laptops...regularly priced $549 or above." Then in the small print it says "Discount applies to SELECT PC'S only. I have just tested the coupon on their website and it will not apply to just any PC regularly priced $549 or above, only the ones linked to on that webpage. And notice that almost every one of the computers that the coupon applies to was $100 less last week, so the coupon is really not getting you anything.

I would like to know how it is not false advertising to say $100 off ALL laptops over $549 on the top line in big print and then say applies only to select PC's in the small print underneath.

It's no different than Macy's or Sports Authority constant 20% off ANY PURCHASE then 30 pages of exclusions.  Or stores that buy an item for $5 put up for sale for $200 (knowing no one will buy it) then putting it up for 50% off REGULAR PRICE ($200) or buying a $90 iPhone case that costs the seller $3 from China.  It's all the same thing.  I was a buyer for a major Department Store chain for many years and the stories I can tell you about their "sales" would make this deal look like a true bargain. 

The public want to see the word "sale."  They have been trained not to buy anything unless it is "on sale."   So the stores need to do just what the public is asking for to be competitive.   It's been tested many times over.  Put an item on the floor for $100 and put the same item up for $150 "on sale" for $110 (yes $10 more) and guess which one sells more times.  People just love to be fooled. 

rated:
jpessin3 said:   This coupon is low even by Staples standards. In big letters the coupon says "Take an extra $100 off ALL laptops...regularly priced $549 or above." Then in the small print it says "Discount applies to SELECT PC'S only. I have just tested the coupon on their website and it will not apply to just any PC regularly priced $549 or above, only the ones linked to on that webpage. And notice that almost every one of the computers that the coupon applies to was $100 less last week, so the coupon is really not getting you anything.

RE:
I would like to know how it is not false advertising to say $100 off ALL laptops over $549 on the top line in big print

It is like all this carp on TV with fine print, but on TV you cannot read the fineprint...
Saying see details is perfectly legal.....

rated:
RE:
Put an item on the floor for $100 and put the same item up for $150 "on sale" for $110 (yes $10 more) and guess which one sells more times.  People just love to be fooled. 

They (not us) like to also see CLEARANCE
While the truth is the CLEARANCE price may be higher than the item was  ever offered for before..

rated:
RE:
or is $taples just playing games?

Yes, they are going for the gullible.....
They know they can sell when they have a real deal, they now want to make some money.....
Not on me they wont...

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   While the truth is the CLEARANCE price may be higher than the item was  ever offered for before..

This is factually true with Staples and other stores very frequently when you compare an item's lowest SALE price to its initial CLEARANCE price.

rated:
The Macy's coupons do not say off any purchase. It is one thing to say 20% off your purchase and then throw in exclusions. But once they use the word ALL, then you can't throw in an exclusion because you are contradicting yourself. None of the other stores that have coupons say off all orders and then put exclusions down. For example, the Staples coupon I have says $25 off $75 or more and then lists exclusions. It does not say $25 off ALL orders $75 or more and then list exclusions, that is what you can't do. And yes, your comparison to TV ads is not the same.

rated:
jpessin3 said:   The Macy's coupons do not say off any purchase. It is one thing to say 20% off your purchase and then throw in exclusions. But once they use the word ALL, then you can't throw in an exclusion because you are contradicting yourself. None of the other stores that have coupons say off all orders and then put exclusions down. For example, the Staples coupon I have says $25 off $75 or more and then lists exclusions. It does not say $25 off ALL orders $75 or more and then list exclusions, that is what you can't do. And yes, your comparison to TV ads is not the same.

I really don't understand your Staples problem.  It's no different than your Macy's example.  Nowhere does it state "ANY" or "EVERY" or "ALL" it clearly states "SELECT COMPUTERS REGULARLY PRICED $549 OR ABOVE" .... I don't understand your problem.  It's the ones THEY SELECT not that YOU select.

SELECT: adjective
adjective: select 1.(of a group of people or thingscarefully chosen from a larger number as being the best or most valuable."he joined his select team of young Intelligence operatives"

rated:
@ MisterEd, please look at the printed ad page 12 (I have uploaded it above in the member summary) where it clearly says ALL laptops. Now, maybe after they printed it they realized their mistake which is why the online version they didn't write all laptops - I guess that is possible.

rated:
There have been variations of Staple$ coupons for some time. I remember about a year or so ago I bought 20+ twin packs of facial tissues and handed them 20+ coupons at the register. The cashier at first said there was a limit of 1 or 2 and showed me the terms in their flyer. I showed them the actual coupon printed from their website and it had no limit. The manager came over and over-rode the transaction. I was there about 30 minutes while each twin-pack had to be rung separately.

This "ALL laptops, desktops....." is clearly a mistake.

rated:

page 12 (263.44kB)
Disclaimer
This may be a more clear picture of the page 12 coupon, in the home delivered or bought paper ad in the paper namely the fine print...
Store ads many times do not have coupons in them
the code is 67434  store, online or phone

rated:
Where did the SELECT wording coupon come from?

Also the op lists two codes, the one in the home delivered ad is good for store phone and online orders
I say home delivered because many times the store available ad does not have coupons.

rated:
Never mind the advertising ethos, are there any laptops for online purchase that are a bargain after applying the $100 coupon?

rated:
If the computer is selling for $200, but it regularly sold for $569, you WILL get the $100 off from this coupon. It makes no difference what the price is, but what the regular price was!

rated:
GMY said:   Never mind the advertising ethos, are there any laptops for online purchase that are a bargain after applying the $100 coupon?
  Yes, and as usual if a coupon is confusing to the person wanting to use it it is even more for the store personnel....
If said personnel refuses it, ask for the STORE MANGER...

rated:
bargainron said:   If the computer is selling for $200, but it regularly sold for $569, you WILL get the $100 off from this coupon. It makes no difference what the price is, but what the regular price was!
  SKU of said pc please
I want 1 or 2 or  a  DOZEN...

rated:
Again, Never mind the advertising ethos, are there any laptops for online purchase that are a bargain after applying the $100 coupon?

rated:
NOTE
The pc prices on page 12 of the ad surrounding the $100 of coupon already include the coupon discount

rated:
jpessin3 said:   @ MisterEd, please look at the printed ad page 12 (I have uploaded it above in the member summary) where it clearly says ALL laptops. Now, maybe after they printed it they realized their mistake which is why the online version they didn't write all laptops - I guess that is possible.

Wellllllll ...... I was looking at the OP which linked to a web page and not a print ad.  Your first comment about the issue didn't say "BUT IN THE PRINT AD IT SAID .... BLAH BLAH."  So I stand corrected regarding the print ad which I never looked at because the OP link was pointing to a web page which clearly said SELECT.  Obviously no one proof read the print ad and they should be required to give the $100 off any PC .... HOWEVER that being said it does say "REGULARLY PRICED AT $550 AND ABOVE as well as CLEARANCE EXCLUDED and there is always a fine print disclaimer somewhere stating "WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TYPOS etc etc" so in either case it's a lose lose.

rated:

100 off (4.06MB)
Disclaimer
If anyone is interested, next week the deal is $100 off computer priced $499 or more

rated:
It doesn't matter if its $499 or $549, the small print says it is only on select PC's so they going to put the coupon on only the same PC's as this week and there will not really be any deals again.

rated:
I'd advise against using them in the future. They were not able to sell one of their "selected" desktops at the price listed on their website FROM THEIR OWN WEBSITE. They had to make a special price adjustment because the coupon code posted in their add would not work. Then I received a phone call the next day stating they were unable to get my credit card to accept the charge, even though two other retailers somehow managed to make theirs work after my purchase at Staples. My credit card company said they had no problem and they were waiting on Staples to complete the transaction. Now they've screwed up the sales tax even after they said they'd fix it. Tomorrow will be my fifth (and last) phone call to them on the matter. Amazingly incompetent organization.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014