Voting History
rated:

Kroger Gift Card Mall
Disclaimer
Same restrictions, I presume.

http://giftcards.kroger.com/ for info only

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

briarycliffs said:   Same restrictions, I presume.

http://giftcards.kroger.com/ for info only

thank God, I was running low on fuel points!

So, variable load $20-500 Visa/MC/Ax gift cards:  do they count or not?

Edit to answer my own question:  No.

CARDS HAVE NO VALUE UNTIL ACTIVATED. TERMS AND RESTRICTIONS APPLY. Only purchases made with your loyalty card from the Kroger Family of stores or 1-2-3 REWARDS® Visa®are eligible. Excludes Kroger Co. Family of Stores gift cards, Green Dot prepaid reloadable products, MoneyPaks and American Express Variable Load, Visa Variable Load, 1-2-3 REWARDS® Reloadable Visa Prepaid Debit Card and MasterCard Variable Load gift cards. Offer may be modified or discontinued at any time without notice. Fuel discounts are limited to up to 35 gallons of fuel per vehicle per purchase, subject to fraud prevention limits on the amount of purchase. Not valid where prohibited by law.

Woot! Nice timing, too, since gas prices are on the way down. It was nauseating to burn my last round of 4x points just to claw back the spike in gas prices in early summer.

Time to stock up on Shell, Amazon and kid's apparel gift cards.

I really hope Giant Eagle jump in the game and matches this soon!

Is there an amount you can't go over to get the 4x points? If I buy a $500 visa will I get 2000 points or does it have to be broke up in smaller transactions?

foutz said:   Is there an amount you can't go over to get the 4x points? If I buy a $500 visa will I get 2000 points or does it have to be broke up in smaller transactions?
 No, you can buy as many as you want, in whatever combinations you want. The catch is, they expire at the end of the following month, and you can only use 1000 points per fill-up. So you're limited by how much fuel you can take (max 35 gallons per 1000 points).

FWIW, here in Atlanta, the dates are 8/6 thru 9/2.

are there fees on buying the gift cards though?

tranzaction said:   are there fees on buying the gift cards though?
Not for the store cards. Details are available for each card on the website listed in the OP, but it looks like cards that usually have fees aren't included anyway.

There are no fees on buying the gift cards, but the Visa/MC/Amex type cards generally have activation fees, so they aren't a good deal to buy.

Here's how I break down the economics of Kroger fuel points: Kroger has some of the best prices for fuel around me, similar to QT. Both of our cars take premium, and Kroger & QT are two of the few around here that have a $0.30/g add for premium. Most others it's more like $0.40. So for ME, there is no downside to buying gas at Kroger. Therefore, it's easier evaluate by applying the discount to the gift cards, rather than the gas. I don't consider my gas to be cheaper, I consider what the value is of the cards I buy, vs. what I pay for them.

Normally Kroger gives you 2x points on gift cards. Buy a $100 Amazon (or whatever) gift card, you get 200 points. That 200 points is worth a $0.20/g discount at the pump, or $7 if you get the maximum 35 gallons that you can redeem the points for.  So that's equivalent to getting a 7% discount when buying things at Amazon via Kroger gift cards, or 14% if you buy them when they are doing the 4x points promotion.  I have an Amex BCP, which give me 6% back on grocery store purchases, so that works out to 20% (or really 15% if you consider I would otherwise get 5% CB using a different CC @ Amazon).  20% is nothing to sneeze at... it's just a form of payment, so it can be combined with any other coupons/deals you can find at whatever store you're talking about.

The keys to maximizing the savings are:

1. Don't get more fuel points than you can use by the end of the following month.
  2. Always get the max (35 gallons) when you fill up.  If you only get 15 gallons, the 14% discount during 4x becomes a 7% discount.
  3. End the month as close to an even 100 points as possible, without going under.  If you end the month with 1000 points, that can be redeemed for a $1/g disount.  900 points is worth $0.90/g, but 990 points is still worth $0.90.  You'll never be able to use less than 100 points, so those 90 points are worthless.

Unless you have a vehicle with a huge tank, maximizing the 35 gallons can be difficult.  I've read that some people will take two cars at once.  Supposedly that's "against the rules", but the bigger issue to me is that would be a huge hassle.  Finding a time when you and your SO or whomever are both available and BOTH need a full tank of gas, can be hard.  The Kroger near me tends to be very busy, getting two cars next to the same pump would be a PITA.  I have a bunch of these.  They are MUCH easier to dispense fuel from than the typical containers you can get at a home store.  They are rated for 5g, but they will hold 6.25g.  They are bulk packaged 4 to a box, so if you buy 4 you will probably get the box they come in.  You can cut it in half to get a container to hold 4 jugs so they don't fall over when transporting in your vehicle.  Take four with you to the gas station, you only need to be able to fit 10 more gallons in your car.

dscline said:   There are no fees on buying the gift cards, but the Visa/MC/Amex type cards generally have activation fees, so they aren't a good deal to buy.

Here's how I break down the economics of Kroger fuel points: Kroger has some of the best prices for fuel around me, similar to QT. Both of our cars take premium, and Kroger & QT are two of the few around here that have a $0.30/g add for premium. Most others it's more like $0.40. So for ME, there is no downside to buying gas at Kroger. Therefore, it's easier evaluate by applying the discount to the gift cards, rather than the gas. I don't consider my gas to be cheaper, I consider what the value is of the cards I buy, vs. what I pay for them.

Normally Kroger gives you 2x points on gift cards. Buy a $100 Amazon (or whatever) gift card, you get 200 points. That 200 points is worth a $0.20/g discount at the pump, or $7 if you get the maximum 35 gallons that you can redeem the points for.  So that's equivalent to getting a 7% discount when buying things at Amazon via Kroger gift cards, or 14% if you buy them when they are doing the 4x points promotion.  I have an Amex BCP, which give me 6% back on grocery store purchases, so that works out to 20% (or really 15% if you consider I would otherwise get 5% CB using a different CC @ Amazon).  20% is nothing to sneeze at... it's just a form of payment, so it can be combined with any other coupons/deals you can find at whatever store you're talking about.

The keys to maximizing the savings are:

1. Don't get more fuel points than you can use by the end of the following month.
  2. Always get the max (35 gallons) when you fill up.  If you only get 15 gallons, the 14% discount during 4x becomes a 7% discount.
  3. End the month as close to an even 100 points as possible, without going under.  If you end the month with 1000 points, that can be redeemed for a $1/g disount.  900 points is worth $0.90/g, but 990 points is still worth $0.90.  You'll never be able to use less than 100 points, so those 90 points are worthless.

Unless you have a vehicle with a huge tank, maximizing the 35 gallons can be difficult.  I've read that some people will take two cars at once.  Supposedly that's "against the rules", but the bigger issue to me is that would be a huge hassle.  Finding a time when you and your SO or whomever are both available and BOTH need a full tank of gas, can be hard.  The Kroger near me tends to be very busy, getting two cars next to the same pump would be a PITA.  I have a bunch of these.  They are MUCH easier to dispense fuel from than the typical containers you can get at a home store.  They are rated for 5g, but they will hold 6.25g.  They are bulk packaged 4 to a box, so if you buy 4 you will probably get the box they come in.  You can cut it in half to get a container to hold 4 jugs so they don't fall over when transporting in your vehicle.  Take four with you to the gas station, you only need to be able to fit 10 more gallons in your car.

At Christmas time, I bought lots of visa/mastercards, and had 14000 fuel points.  Since they are good until following month you can plan out your purchases.
If you have 2 rewards cards, you can alternate purchases. Kroger uses points by most-first, not oldest first. If you had August purchases for 2000 points, and September purchase of 4000 points, they will automatically use the 4000 first.  Thus 2 cards to alternate, making sure you are using your oldest points first

Anyway, this sale runs into Sept, so if you buy Sept 1, those fuel points will expire October 31.  August purchases will be good until Sept 30.

Lastly, when I had points I wasn't going to use, I'd give to a friend that is struggling financially, or can use a little boost, having them enter my phone number into the Kroger pump. Even if they sved $7 bucks, it helped out.

My area Shell is teamed with Kroger, so you can buy Shell gift cards, earn points, to reduce the price at Shell, while paying with the gift card you bought.

Works out nice.

flipr said:   
My area Shell is teamed with Kroger, so you can buy Shell gift cards, each points, to reduce the price at Shell, while paying with the gift card you bought.

Works out nice.

Only makes sense if you do not have a credit card that offers 5% CashBack for gas purchases - Chase Freedom AND Discover this quarter.

We are going to pick up $100 in Shell, BUT hold until October. 

flipr said:    At Christmas time, I bought lots of visa/mastercards, and had 14000 fuel points.  Since they are good until following month you can plan out your purchases.
If you can use/store 490 gallons in two months, you are out of my league. I thought I was doing well having 16 of those VP racing cans. I can store 100 gallons, plus what our two vehicles hold. That would last us a little less than two months.
If you have 2 rewards cards, you can alternate purchases. Kroger uses points by most-first, not oldest first. If you had August purchases for 2000 points, and September purchase of 4000 points, they will automatically use the 4000 first.  Thus 2 cards to alternate, making sure you are using your oldest points first
I don't follow the need for two cards. In my experience amnyway, it seems they will use the most points first ONLY if that results in you using more points in a trip, otherwise they use the oldest points. So if you had 700 points in August, but 1200 points in September, they would pull 1000 points from September to give you a $1/g discount, rather than giving you only $0.70/g from August points. But when I've had 1000 points from Aug, and 2000 points from Sept, either way the max you can use in one fill-up is 1000 points, so they've always taken the oldest in this case. Regardless, at least at the Kroger I go to, you have the option to specify how many points you want to use instead of the max. As per their FAQ, you can use this to ensure you use last month's points even if that means getting a lower discount:
Can I choose to use part of my points at the Kroger fuel pump?
At Kroger Fuel Centers, to use a piece of your discount, simply select option 2 (CHANGE AMT) and enter in the amount you wish to use today. Points will come from your prior month’s earnings first if the balance is greater than 100 and the amount entered is available. Otherwise the amount will come from what you have accumulated for this month.

My area Shell is teamed with Kroger, so you can buy Shell gift cards, each points, to reduce the price at Shell, while paying with the gift card you bought.
This may vary by region, but around here you can only redeem 100 points at a time @ Shell ($0.10/g discount), but you can redeem 1000 points ($1/g) at Kroger. So Shell is only a good option around here if you don't have many points (or if you go through so much gas that using all your points before they expire is never an issue).

shank said:   
flipr said:   

Works out nice.

Only makes sense if you do not have a credit card that offers 5% CashBack for gas purchases - Chase Freedom AND Discover this quarter.

I buy gas 35 gallons at a time, so the math works better for me this way, I use amex bcp at kroger...

shank said:   
flipr said:   

Works out nice.

My math figures different. The 5% Cash Back on the purchase of a gallon is 17.5 cents with gas at 3.50/gallon.  I can spend $250 at Kroger, get $1 off a gallon, and still get Cash Back at whatever percentage applies by shopping at the grocery store with my Cash Back credit card. True, I gotta lay out $250 in advance, to earn the points/  I guess I see it different since I'm gonna spend the $$ anyway.

dscline said:   
flipr said:    At Christmas time, I bought lots of visa/mastercards, and had 14000 fuel points.  Since they are good until following month you can plan out your purchases.
If you can use/store 490 gallons in two months, you are out of my league. I thought I was doing well having 16 of those VP racing cans. I can store 100 gallons, plus what our two vehicles hold. That would last us a little less than two months.
I don't follow the need for two cards. In my experience amnyway, it seems they will use the most points first ONLY if that results in you using more points in a trip, otherwise they use the oldest points. So if you had 700 points in August, but 1200 points in September, they would pull 1000 points from September to give you a $1/g discount, rather than giving you only $0.70/g from August points. But when I've had 1000 points from Aug, and 2000 points from Sept, either way the max you can use in one fill-up is 1000 points, so they've always taken the oldest in this case. Regardless, at least at the Kroger I go to, you have the option to specify how many points you want to use instead of the max. As per their FAQ, you can use this to ensure you use last month's points even if that means getting a lower discount:
Can I choose to use part of my points at the Kroger fuel pump?
At Kroger Fuel Centers, to use a piece of your discount, simply select option 2 (CHANGE AMT) and enter in the amount you wish to use today. Points will come from your prior month’s earnings first if the balance is greater than 100 and the amount entered is available. Otherwise the amount will come from what you have accumulated for this month.

This may vary by region, but around here you can only redeem 100 points at a time @ Shell ($0.10/g discount), but you can redeem 1000 points ($1/g) at Kroger. So Shell is only a good option around here if you don't have many points (or if you go through so much gas that using all your points before they expire is never an issue).

LOL, lots of driving for work, and 3 vehicles, so it added up wuickly.  Now I have a company car, and company credit card, and I moved from Kroger marketing area, so no longer works for me.

As for the multiple cards, they added the 'partial usage' feature after I lost out, and it only applies at Kroger pumps.  Lets say I carry over 500 points from July, expiring August 31.  Now I buy gift cards in August, earn 1000 points.  At Shell, I can't choose partial points, so it uses the most points first,August earned, and gives me the $1 off.  If I am not careful I may lose credit for my July purchase.

True, now, buying gas at Kroger, I can select 50 cents off and use my July points first. So once burned, I just started alternating reward cards.

flipr said:   
shank said:   
flipr said:   

Works out nice.

My math figures different. The 5% Cash Back on the purchase of a gallon is 17.5 cents with gas at 3.50/gallon.  I can spend $250 at Kroger, get $1 off a gallon, and still get Cash Back at whatever percentage applies by shopping at the grocery store with my Cash Back credit card. True, I gotta lay out $250 in advance, to earn the points/  I guess I see it different since I'm gonna spend the $$ anyway.

But he was responding to your post about getting gas at Shell.  I guess in your area you can use a full 1000 points @ Shell?  Here we can only use 100 points, which is worth $0.10/gallon vs. the $0.175/g figure.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014