• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Build Your Own Phone Plan With Virgin Mobile Custom| Virgin Mobile USA
Disclaimer
I didn't see this posted so if it's a re-post sorry.

Virgin Mobile and Wally World are teaming up with a new VM smart phone plan.

For me the following would work:

250 min
500 text
200 mb
For a total of: $22.48

Check it out:  Linky 
(Click under Plan > Custom)

If you add 2 or more phones the deal is even better because you can share the min/txt/data

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Shame RP doesn't offer GSM service, this would be perfect for my mom(83) very little use but Sprint service stinks where... (more)

WindWalker (Aug. 28, 2014 @ 10:56a) |

Remember, to use this plan you will need to buy one of currently only three phones ranging from $80-130. So factor that ... (more)

anonguy (Aug. 28, 2014 @ 12:26p) |

It's also available if you activate online.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
$30 per month—Unlimited web a... (more)

vinster (Aug. 28, 2014 @ 12:31p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Terrible IMO:
Ringplus, also an MVNO of Sprint: $9.99 Bella Plan,
400 Minutes
400 SMS
300 MB

These new services are great, however I don't know if you can compare a company like ringplus with a company owned by Sprint.
I don't know if I would trust porting my phone number to ringplus?
Has anyone had any luck with them?

anyone know if you can use your existing vm phone? For instance, my wife and i both have the zte awe (which is 3G).

sundansx said:   anyone know if you can use your existing vm phone? For instance, my wife and i both have the zte awe (which is 3G).
  No it looks like they have three different LG phones you have to buy from WalMart
 I am grandfathered with the $25 plan with VM and want to upgrade to LTE but don't want to pay $35 for it.

knowit2 said:   These new services are great, however I don't know if you can compare a company like ringplus with a company owned by Sprint.
I don't know if I would trust porting my phone number to ringplus?
Has anyone had any luck with them?

I've been with RingPlus for over a year. They're trustworthy; no need to fear porting your number in...worst case scenario, it takes longer than you want for customer service to help.

Ownership doesn't matter, but RingPlus doesn't have rock-bottom prices by delivering service as good as a more expensive provider. Sometimes calls fail or there's lots of VoIP lag. I hate phone calls, and on one hand it's a good excuse to tell people to text or email, but on the other hand it occasionally makes me hate calls even more. I've seen their service fail before, on their end (so the tower is live and you have a good signal but calls fail). Mostly it just works.

For me, it's well worth the cheap service to pay a cheap rate for something I hate either way. When I have wifi I don't even use it anyway, it's basically just while I'm driving or shopping.

knowit2 said:   
sundansx said:   anyone know if you can use your existing vm phone? For instance, my wife and i both have the zte awe (which is 3G).
  No it looks like they have three different LG phones you have to buy from WalMart
 I am grandfathered with the $25 plan with VM and want to upgrade to LTE but don't want to pay $35 for it.

I just upgraded my Samsung Reverb 3G from the grandfathered $25 plan to an LG Volt LTE. The difference is fantastic. The phone is so much more responsive, even with 3G coverage. Worth $10 per month more in my opinion.

Where can I see "$698"  using the links you provided?    And if it's $6.98 per month, include "per month" in the heading.

PC Mag said: - Virgin's new plans don't save heavy users money, but they may benefit light users and families.
- Virgin's Custom Plans look like a great deal. But they have one political twist: they're completely non-network-neutral.
- LG model equivalents, more.

PC Mag story

we pay 35 with discount for total of 30 for 300 minutes unlimited text 3 gb of lte then throttled to 3g. have the iphone 5c the service is better than i expected south of houston.

Build Your Own Phone Plan With Virgin Mobile Custom| Virgin Mobile USA
Disclaimer
DonC said:   Where can I see "$698"  using the links you provided?    And if it's $6.98 per month, include "per month" in the heading.
  http://www.virginmobileusa.com/custom/#/

For $6.98 a month, you get 20 minutes and 20 messages.

Or you could go with Ultra Mobile at $20 ($19 + $1 recovery fee) for unlimited calls and text and 100MB of data. Add another 200MB of data for $2.50.

Actually this new plan is horrible. For example, 500 minutes/500 texts and 1GB data would be $35.98.

$6.98 for 20 minutes, 20 texts and no data.

Why not get the Republic Wireless $10 plan for unlimited minutes and texts. It also uses the Sprint network. Unlimited data is $15 more.

ajaslow said:   Terrible IMO:
Ringplus, also an MVNO of Sprint: $9.99 Bella Plan,
400 Minutes
400 SMS
300 MB

Ringplus is known to be an on  again off again service, just just like for a better way to say it
Who wants to have a service that does not work when you need it....????/
just plug and play is the way to go

VM has for $35 a month and no added fees

Unlimited text and date
300 minutes...

At Target, VM Event phone
$19.99 and you get a $15 gift card for Taco Bell, Burger King, Starbucks and others....

The AWE phone, $49.99
 and you get a $15 gift card for Taco Bell, Burger King, Starbucks and others....

ICE COLD 'DEAL'

While a deal may not be for you, obviously it will be great for some....
There is also the Tracfone $7 a month offer, great for some, it sucks for others.....

I will not screw around with those like ringplus and others.....
Ad many wont....

yesidonoitall said:   VM has for $35 a month and no added fees

Unlimited text and date
300 minutes...

Yes. This plan looks good. All they have to do is lower price to $30 to compete with T Mobile $30 plan!!!

hong said:   

Unlimited text and date
300 minutes...

Yes. This plan looks good. All they have to do is lower price to $30 to compete with T Mobile $30 plan!!!

How can you switch and why when Tmobile will not work....
But where is the $30 plan please?

It is a better deal if you add 3 phones.
Here is an example of what you can get to share between the three phones:
500 talk
1000 text
1 gig data
for $55.44 / 3 = $18.48 per phone per month.
You can also instantly move up or down talk/text/data through a smart phone app too.

If all you cared about is talk/ text for three phone you can:
750 talk
1500 text
38.94 / 3 = $12.98 per phone per month.

So, what's the best plan for 2 phones, unlimited talk, text and data. My contract is expiring soon and I am paying way too much! Both will need to be iphones.
Thanks in advance!
Cybernep

cyberneptune said:   So, what's the best plan for 2 phones, unlimited talk, text and data. My contract is expiring soon and I am paying way too much! Both will need to be iphones.
Thanks in advance!
Cybernep

That would be the regular VM $35 a month for unlimited talk/txt with 3gig 4g data before throttle.
  It is actually $30 a month each phone if you register a credit card.

Interesting. SO is currently on VM $25 grandfathered plan with 300 minutes with ZTE AWE. Unlimited messaging, data and web. Data at 3G at best. Not a heavy data user nor texter but here and there.

Could get 250 mins, 250 texts and 250 MB of data for $20.48 and with LTE phone would get 4G LTE data and not 3G. Cheaper than current plan if you are a light texter and/or data user.

"Adjust your plan as often as you would like". Need to know how that works. Starts a new month?

I must be an idiot!  I can't seem to locate this on their web site.... can you post linky?
 I can see everything you said, except for the unlimited talk minutes. They are showing 300  talk mins, unlimited data and text  for $35. Am I just missing the unlimited talk?

Thanks!

Though I mainly use data, my trick to using RingPlus is using:

1) Groundwire with the G729a Add-on and Voip.MS for outgoing calls with CallerID set as the Google Voice number for outgoing calls
2) Google Voice to forward incoming calls to my Voip.MS number
3) Google Voice for SMS using the Xposed XVoice+ plugin to allow any SMS app to send via Google Voice.

Basically $0.00 unlimited SMS, and each voice minute at around $0.01 in data charges (calculated at the G729a rate) + 0.01 for Voip.MS almost anywhere I call. As long as you have good Sprint coverage, solution works very well.

cyberneptune said:   I must be an idiot!  I can't seem to locate this on their web site.... can you post linky?
 I can see everything you said, except for the unlimited talk minutes. They are showing 300  talk mins, unlimited data and text  for $35. Am I just missing the unlimited talk?

Thanks!

Copy below and paste.  The link doesn't work, it goes to the phones page.
   http://www.virginmobileusa.com/custom/ 

Ringplus is on Sprint as well. It doesn't matter that Sprint owns Virgin Mobile the service isn't any better. Virgin and Ringplus are approximately equal so the big difference is price. Being on postpaid Sprint would give you roaming. Beware the "no roaming charges" claim on the Virgin Mobile site. Last I checked there are no roaming charges because there is no roaming capability. I don't believe Ringplus gives you roaming either. Republic wireless(also on the Sprint network) will give you domestic roaming capability similar to that of Sprint postpaid. Some changes to the roaming situation on Republic Wireless are coming but they relate only to data and roaming is not expected to be eliminated entirely. I would not recommend this Virgin Mobile plan for a single person on low usage. Ringplus is better there. Pageplus is also good for single person low usage and it's on Verizon which has better coverage for most people.

Where I see this Virgin Mobile possibly making sense is possibly for multiple low use people.

My favorite low use plan.
Pageplus: Starts at $10 prepaid, credit lasts 120 days. Comes to about $3.33 per month. $10 = 100 minutes and the minutes will roll over as long as you add minutes every 120 days. For the extreme cheapskate unlimited QNC data(incredibly slow) is available free if your phone supports it. 3g data is a little pricy on Pageplus.

yesidonoitall said:   
hong said:   

Unlimited text and date
300 minutes...

For the T-Mobile $30 plan, I believe you have to get it thru WalMart.  Its a joint venture with WalMart and Tmobile.  This is a great plan if you have good service in your area.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443...

knowit2 said:   
cyberneptune said:   So, what's the best plan for 2 phones, unlimited talk, text and data. My contract is expiring soon and I am paying way too much! Both will need to be iphones.
Thanks in advance!
Cybernep

That would be the regular VM $35 a month for unlimited talk/txt with 3gig 4g data before throttle.
  It is actually $30 a month each phone if you register a credit card.

Unless they change their policy, the $30 a month is only for iPhones (IIRC).  If it works for Android, I won't mine upgrading from my $25 grandfather plan.  

For someone who is a light user who just talks and text and does not need data this can be a great deal. 250 mins and 500 texts for $14.48 per month seems like a solid deal. 

fantastic plan it's awesome deal

giqcass said:   
My favorite low use plan.
Pageplus: Starts at $10 prepaid, credit lasts 120 days. Comes to about $3.33 per month. $10 = 100 minutes and the minutes will roll over as long as you add minutes every 120 days. For the extreme cheapskate unlimited QNC data(incredibly slow) is available free if your phone supports it. 3g data is a little pricy on Pageplus.

Shame RP doesn't offer GSM service, this would be perfect for my mom(83) very little use but Sprint service stinks where she lives
I've got her on PTEL right now but looking at lower, somewhere

Remember, to use this plan you will need to buy one of currently only three phones ranging from $80-130. So factor that in to the total cost.

When this program was Zact (Sprint bought them out for the technology) the pricing and buckets were a lot more appealing to users. Sprint has jacked up the rates in this incarnation.

If there is a sweetspot to this plan in may be for lower-users with multiple lines or those wanting to control their kids' usage. 250 minutes and texts shared between two phones would $19.46. But, even then, you could beat that with paygo rates at PagePlus, Lycamobile, Ptel, etc.

HKSturboKid said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
hong said:   

Unlimited text and date
300 minutes...

For the T-Mobile $30 plan, I believe you have to get it thru WalMart.  Its a joint venture with WalMart and Tmobile.  This is a great plan if you have good service in your area.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443... 

It's also available if you activate online.
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
$30 per month—Unlimited web and text with 100 minutes talk
100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds
Now get unlimited international texting from the U.S. to virtually anywhere included in your plan—at no extra charge.

This plan is only available for devices purchased from Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014