• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

knife (67.73kB)
Disclaimer
SharkStores.com is having a Zwilling J.A. Henckels Knives Sale with up to 54% off, plus take an extra $20.00 off each knife with coupon code SBJAH20. Free shipping is also included on these items.

Knives available:

SharkStores
See SharkStores coupons that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
This topic is also a Best Deal.
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Watch out for the Santoku knives. The vertical edge of the knife closest to the handle is very sharp and it is very easy for your hand to slip up so you cut the front edge of your index finger.

We ended up wrapping it with some tape. Unsightly and makes it harder to wash but better than cuts.

rated:
Note: These are all "B" line knives, which means they have small imperfection (shouldn't affect it use at all though).

rated:
anything Henckels is "B" line.

get yourself a proper knife, buy a japanese gyuto like the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, Richmond Artifex or JCK CarboNext.

rated:
Maybe you should grid it on the vertical edge if you don't want it that sharp.  I would think it should be a simple correction instead of unsightly Band-Aid on the knife.

rated:
lqdforce said:   anything Henckels is "B" line.

get yourself a proper knife, buy a japanese gyuto like the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, Richmond Artifex or JCK CarboNext.

Pfft...it's not a real knife unless you get a $2,400 Bob Kramer knife. 
/sarcasm

rated:

rated:
i like my victorinox fibrox/forschner series better than my henckels, though I do like some of my wusthof more than the victorinox, they are also about 4x as much per blade.

i have a few shun knives that are nice, but they are VERY pricey.

I'm a knife addict as I am a bbq/smoking/fishing/hunting guy. my knives get a workout. i have to say, the scimitar forschner blade is the best breakdown knife for larger fish I've ever dealt with, and at the price, you can't go wrong. wusthof's thin flexible blade fillet knife (culinar series) is the best knife i've ever seen at more delicate fish butchery.

For everyday use, my fibrox get used quite a bit. I can get them reground pretty simply, and when they are wore out, they are cheap enough to toss without too much angst.

And I do have to say: I find santoku knives to be a bit of a fad/gimmick. they aren't really great at anything. i'd take a slicer and a chef's knife over a santoku.... if you have those, there isn't anything a santoku is really "better" at.

rated:
MSUICEMAN said:   And I do have to say: I find santoku knives to be a bit of a fad/gimmick. they aren't really great at anything. i'd take a slicer and a chef's knife over a santoku.... if you have those, there isn't anything a santoku is really "better" at.
I'm a vegetarian, so don't have a need for as wide of variety of knives as others, but I find myself reaching for the Santoku knife before my chef's knife. I also use the heck out of a Chinese chopping knife/cleaver a lot. 

rated:
hardwhere said:   Maybe you should grid it on the vertical edge if you don't want it that sharp.  I would think it should be a simple correction instead of unsightly Band-Aid on the knife.
  The knife has a square edge so grinding might help some but it also quite thin so it probably would still irritate my finger.

But this is a design flaw. If you look at a chef's knife, they cut a big circle on the edge of the knife in front of the handle so your finger does not press against the blade.

it's not worth fooling around with this style knife unless they change the design.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014