• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Yeah.....I just received mine and was looking for the orig post. Seems to have vanished. Thanks for the repost info.

Previous thread had one post that stated this device slowed down access.

I am not seeing that at all.

DSL reports tests are equivilent to what they were before installation 1200+ down 200+ up....

This is a nice little device.
It is true that most of the features are in most any DSL/Cable router, but the programmers for this device obviously knew what they were doing. Logs, reports, custom services, etc. I am glad I bought it and would recommend it to almost anyone else. Although it can utilize a rather complex setup the built in wizard should be easy enough for anyone....

anyone have experince with cervix-inl.com ? neve herd of em.

think i stick with my linksshys this one is kin dof an old model.

p

thanks to hevnsnt go here for info

I got mine today as well and I am trying to set it up. However, mine appears to have a problem. When I connected to my network (through the uplink port) I can't ping it. I don't get link lights and the power and test lights are on solid. I wonder if I got a dud? It does look like it might be used (although the web site didn't say so).

I got mine yesterday a few things I noticed.
1) When you first turn it on the test light stays on for a while but it eventually goes off, seemed like a long time but I don't remember how long.
2) If you are trying to hit the web interface make sure you are on the same subnet. The default IP address for the device is 192.168.1.251, make sure the computer you are using has a static ip of something like 192.168.1.4 (Netmask 255.255.255.0), then you should be able to http to it.

I do like the logs and stuff. I only wish the other ports were 10/100 but for $30 for a hardware router with SPI and the possiblity of VPNing into your network, it seems worth it.

Hope this helps.
and Thanks for reposting the docs again.
JDJr

I'm in!!

Now to figure out this thing out!!!

Those PairGain ~ ADC, ADSL Modems for $1 in the same section look interesting. No AC power adapter though. Might be nice to have one to see if it works with my ADSL service. Could use it as a backup.

Mine appears to be used. The bottom rubber feat are kinda flaking off.

Can't complain for $30 though

Grrrr, I just got a call from Fed-Ex. Centrix sent my package to the wrong city..a few hundred miles away. I would have received it last Friday had Centrix put the correct address on the shipping label. After seeing on some other posts where the firewall (of which I ordered 2 plus a lot of other stuff) seems to be used and some others are having problems with it, I am tempted to refuse delivery and request my card be credited back.

Not sure what to make of it, but the sticker with the model # and serial # on the bottom of my unit was ripped off, can still see all the adhesive goo.

gja said:

<< Not sure what to make of it, but the sticker with the model # and serial # on the bottom of my unit was ripped off, can still see all the adhesive goo. >>



mine too. i'm pissed.

Anyone connect their Webramp to their Linksys router yet?

If so what did you do to get it working?

JDJr said:

<< If you are trying to hit the web interface make sure you are on the same subnet. The default IP address for the device is 192.168.1.251, make sure the computer you are using has a static ip of something like 192.168.1.4 (Netmask 255.255.255.0), then you should be able to http to it.
>>



The system defaults to supplying DHCP so just renew your lease and it will give you a valid IP address for its configuration.

The easy way to do this is reboot after you connect to the router.

For Windows 95/98/ME winipcfg will pop up a GUI dialog for the IP configuration and you can release and renew the lease.

In NT/XP/2000
c:\ipconfig /release
c:\ipconfig /renew

Also can then use
c:\ipconfig /all
to see your current configuration.

from Centrix sales:

"these are new webramp, and due to the way webramp ship them to us and the
remove of there own labels, it dose make the unit look use. if your not
satisfied with the unit please return it, and will issue you a full refund "

i guess its cool, as long as I can crack the darn thing.

myn said:

<< Anyone connect their Webramp to their Linksys router yet?

If so what did you do to get it working?
>>



Just curious, why do you want to do this? This unit should replace the Linksys router, not sit in front or behind it. Or are you trying to estabish a VPN connection between the two?

Whatever your answer, let us know how you are planning on hooking it up and maybe we can offer some advice.

willp2 said:

<< myn said:

<< Anyone connect their Webramp to their Linksys router yet?

If so what did you do to get it working?
>>



Just curious, why do you want to do this? This unit should replace the Linksys router, not sit in front or behind it. Or are you trying to estabish a VPN connection between the two?

Whatever your answer, let us know how you are planning on hooking it up and maybe we can offer some advice.
>>



The webramp only transfers at 10mbit <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0> which is fine for Internet transfers but for file sharing a 10/100 full duplex would be ideal. So my thinking was to use the webramp for nothing more then a firewall to the internet and the linksys router (that I already have) as more or less a Hub. This way you can transfer files at 200mbit full duplex and still be protected with the webramp.



<< The webramp only transfers at 10mbit <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0> which is fine for Internet transfers but for file sharing a 10/100 full duplex would be ideal. So my thinking was to use the webramp for nothing more then a firewall to the internet and the linksys router (that I already have) as more or less a Hub. This way you can transfer files at 200mbit full duplex and still be protected with the webramp. >>



Makes sense.

Just come out of the one of the LAN ports on the Webramp into the uplink port on the LAN side of the Linksys with a regular ethernet cable. Or use the uplink port on the Webramp into one of the regular (not uplink) ports on the Linksys. As long as only one side is in an uplink port, you should be fine and the Linksys becomes just a switch. You won't be using the WAN port on the Linksys.

You also will need to turn off DHCP on one of the boxes and make sure the IP address for both are on the same subnet, but a different IP.

yabbadabbadoodoo said:

<< anyone have experince with cervix-inl.com ? neve herd of em.

think i stick with my linksshys this one is kin dof an old model.

p
>>



Ordered mine last week, received immediate confirmation and it was on my doorstep within 2 days - great service. And although this is an "old model" you can easily upgrade to the latest SonicWall firmware. This unit will easily beat your linksys for quality and features...

Kev

ps - by the way, were you drunk when you created that post?? Gave me a headache just trying to read it! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>

I can't get IRC DCC SEND to work with the WebRamp installed.
Has anyone managed to get DCC SEND to work?

CyberGuy said:

<< I can't get IRC DCC SEND to work with the WebRamp installed.
Has anyone managed to get DCC SEND to work?
>>



Go into the DCC Options and make sure you specify a port range. eg 5000 - 6000.
Then go into the webramp configuration and portmap ports 5000 - 6000 to that particular IP mIRC is running.

Then go into the mIRC options "Connect" "local info" and make sure Lookup method is set to "Server". Also make sure both checkboxes above are checked.

Reconnect to the IRC server and try it out.

If you want to test it, I can be found on EFnet with the nick "myn"

myn said:

<< CyberGuy said:

<< I can't get IRC DCC SEND to work with the WebRamp installed.
Has anyone managed to get DCC SEND to work?
>>



Go into the DCC Options and make sure you specify a port range. eg 5000 - 6000.
Then go into the webramp configuration and portmap ports 5000 - 6000 to that particular IP mIRC is running.

Then go into the mIRC options "Connect" "local info" and make sure Lookup method is set to "Server". Also make sure both checkboxes above are checked.

Reconnect to the IRC server and try it out.

If you want to test it, I can be found on EFnet with the nick "myn"
>>



I still can't DCC SEND. I probably did the portmap wrong.
How exactly would I go about doing a "portmap" with the WebRamp?
Also, by "particular IP" do you mean my private IP or public IP?

I bought a couple of these and it's a good deal for the money, but the units aren't that dependable.

I noticed after a while that I was constantly having to click a link 2 times in order to get the request to go through the router. I switched back to my old RT314 and everything is much better now. I'd like to check the logging though. Oh well.

Caveman:

I haven't noticed that. I even run additional software firewall on top of WebRamp and I'm fine.

Ok, for the folks saying these aren't dependable, RTFM.

The best feature for these is the "STANDARD" mode.

What this does is act like a filter (no nat) so you can use it BEHIND an existing router.

To set this up ( I have a RT314 YMMV)

If you are running any services, it can be a bit tricky, but can be done as I am running it

First off get the firmware upgraded to the current version

(if you don't know about ports, and services, read up, then reread this post)

everything behind the netgear is on 192.168.0.0

netgear lan port connects to webramp wan port

Plug in switch to lan port on webramp

Webramp can be ANY ip, (just remember what it is so you can admin it!)

set up mode for STANDARD

set up port forwarding for specific service (i.e. 21 for FTP) to point at the REAL server on the netgear (don't worry about the webramp yet)

go into webramp and set up service to specific machine (so basically you are forwarding the port again)

That's it!

Nifty thing you can do with this firewall is specify ip ranges that are denied. (i.e. don't want asian hackers? Block em!) Go into rules and specify the ip range that you DON'T want (leave service as DEFAULT) and click the deny button. Thats it!

If you want to check to see how well your system is secured, go to www.dslreports.com and do the security test. (or www.grc.com for a smaller version)

If i have a block of IP addresses from my DSL and set the firewall to Standard mode and turn NAT OFF, can i still retain all the ip settings on each computer? so that it will filter all of my traffic?

You can use the 1 to 1 NAT and assign each ISP address to a different internal address.

I would like to keep the IP's public and not use NAT at all, is that possible? i know at work my 3COM Superstack Firewall can do it <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>

I got one of these just to play with....can some one help me set it up?

Currently I have a Linksys modem-->router-->switch.

I tried this and it didn't work: modem--->router WAN, router LAN to ramp wan, hub on ramp to switch.

Thanks.

puppyc73 said:

<< If i have a block of IP addresses from my DSL and set the firewall to Standard mode and turn NAT OFF, can i still retain all the ip settings on each computer? so that it will filter all of my traffic? >>



If you are saying that you have public ips on each machine, yes you can. it will just act like a filter...

nukem said:

<< You can use the 1 to 1 NAT and assign each ISP address to a different internal address. >>



You don't need to...


Page 49 from the manual


...Use Standard if your network uses valid IP Addresses and users require authenticated remote access to lan resources...


RTFM <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>

realMTAX said:

<< I got one of these just to play with....can some one help me set it up?

Currently I have a Linksys modem-->router-->switch.

I tried this and it didn't work: modem--->router WAN, router LAN to ramp wan, hub on ramp to switch.

Thanks.
>>



What mode did you have the Webramp in? In that configuration you would want to be in standard as your router is already providing NAT.

This is a really stupid question, but I have to ask. Where can I download the Webramp Installation Wizard?

TIA

humuhumupukapuka said:

<< This is a really stupid question, but I have to ask. Where can I download the Webramp Installation Wizard?

TIA
>>




It is built into the firewall. When you first connect to the webpage for the firewall it will walk you thru setup...

wkendrvr said:

<< nukem said:

<< You can use the 1 to 1 NAT and assign each ISP address to a different internal address. >>



You don't need to...


Page 49 from the manual


...Use Standard if your network uses valid IP Addresses and users require authenticated remote access to lan resources...


RTFM <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>
>>




RTFP (P=Post)

I said you CAN not you HAVE to... You would want to use 1 to 1 NAT if not all of your resources should be set with a public IP. You are correct though you can use standard if your entire network uses valid IP addresses.

I have it in standard mode. Maybe I need a crossover cable.

Not that it matters much for the average user, but unless there is a specific reason for not doing so, it is usually desirable to use NAT over public IPs. NAT provides another layer of protection in that it actually hides whats going on behind it. Knowing what the real IP address is of a machine is provides information useful to hackers and the like, both about the machine itself and the network behind the firewall.

So unless you have a specific need to, Id do NAT anyway.

What are the differences between the webramp 5.1.1 firmware and the sonicwall 5.1.7 firmware? Are there any benefits of upgrading?

Got mine and updated to the SonicWall firmware, but if NAT is enabled it removed the option for LAN In, and couldn't access my Apache web server after lots of tinkering...oh well, will try again...

Skipping 18 Messages...
It still is available
Its for $35 now though.

700s-5BR - $35.00 (Can be upgraded usually via software to unlimited users etc)



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014