• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've had cablevision for 6 years and have seen charges double. I am in NY and was paying $50.75 for Family Cable without any premium channels. Here is what I did today:

Call customer service and go straight for cancellation department. Ask that cable service be terminated not immediately, but in a week or so. The CSR didn't offer a better deal immediately. He verified all of my information and inquired about the date I wanted service terminated. Only at the very end of the conversation did he ask why I wanted to cancel. I said that it has gotten too expensive and I was thinking of either switching to another company or not having cable service at all. After that he offered to reduce my monthly bill by $20 for 6 months. I said OK. That's it. I recommend that you ask for service to be disconnected in a week instead of immediately in case you don't get an offer and want to keep cable. In that case just call back and tell them you want to cancel the cancellation <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

P.S. People with more expensive cable packages might be able to get an even better deal since they have more to bargain with (this of course is a pure speculation on my part).

Edit by Moderator: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here.

<<<<<UPDATE>>>>>
The thread moderator is talking about is a different deal. It has to do with Tier Buy Through that gets you local channels only. I am talking about getting charges reduced for regular cable which includes CNN, Discovery, Learning, History, etc channels.

eh - i tried this with time warner in nyc just now - they couldn't care less if i cancelled or not - i even small talked with her and asked if alot of people were defecting due to the price increases and she was like "oh yeah some are, but not many, but if you ever want to pick us back up give us a call" <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif"border=0>

now i have to remember to uncancel the cancellation w/i two weeks! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif"border=0>

Such tactics works with the company that wants customer and want to say in business. Not with Comcast... I tried this so many times and every time I got blunt answer "do whatever you want to do". I think even KMart treat customer better than Comcast <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>. I am so fed up from them, me and my friends are looking for townhouse in town where Comcast is not present.

Not that it makes that much difference...but I was wondering if anyone in NJ made such a call to CableVision and if so - how successful were they?

For those interested in reducing their cable bill (with any cable company) to the lowest $ possible this thread has one way of doing it. It's also good for people that want to be able to add premium channels without having to pay for a package deal that includes a bunch of stuff they don't care for.

I tried this with Charter before. I was told it's us, a dish or antenna. The counter person just stared with a blank look obviously not caring one way or the other.

I think alot depends on the time of day you place your cancellation call. The customer retention department probably works 9-5.So don't bother trying this at night.

I work for a large cable company in the high-speed cable side, but we get calls about cable TV occassionally. I know on our side we'r authorized to give up to a month's free service to "retain" a customer. Cable TV side is authorized to give those types of discounts, but it all depends on who you talk to. When I've spoken to a customer who's rude, bad-mouths the service, etc., I just give them directions to drop the equipment off (as there is a service charge for a tech to come pick up the equipment.) However, and yes I've done this, if someone is actually NICE on the phone AND they haven't received a lot of credits already AND I can see they've had some issues, I'll issue them the a whole month's free service for their cable modem (about $50 or so) and if it's cable TV they have a problem with, I'll even get them a credit on that.

Just my 2 cents worth. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif"border=0>

Wavester said:

<< Not that it makes that much difference...but I was wondering if anyone in NJ made such a call to CableVision and if so - how successful were they? >>



I am from Northern NJ. We used to get family package in our Apt complex, though we paid for basic.My daughter is enjoying the Cartoon Network and Nick. Jr.etc. One day, they put filters on all the lines and just the basic channels are allowed. Out of 20 basic channels, 10 are spanish and useless. I was so irritated that I cancelled immediately. The dumb CSR asked the reason. Told him that I am switching to Dish.

The next day, I got a call from corporate guys, wanted to know the reason behind my cancellation. I told them that I am pissed off that Cablevision didnt give us any time before putting filters and my daughter is driving us crazy as we are not getting cartoons. He was so apologetic and gave us 6 months optimum package which includes HBO, Showtime, Starz etc for the rate of basic. He said he will call back by the end of 6months to see if any deal can be worked out!!

in New york they have monopolies

Queeens is TWC
Brooklyn is Cablevision

so if you say you want to switch to a different company they will laugh in your face, cause there is no other company

Burzhui said:

<<
so if you say you want to switch to a different company they will laugh in your face, cause there is no other company
>>



However, you can always claim that you want to transfer to DirectTV

what are you smoking? RCN is in NYC... they are much cheaper than TWC, tho there service is not as good and they only cover some areas, maybe 50%.

mlr

I live in Brooklyn, NY and have Cablevision.
If I order Basic, does it require that I use a cable box?
I think they charge the service separately and charge for the rental of the descrambler box separatey. Do you need to use the descramble box to get Basic from Cablevision Brooklyn?
I think the rental of the box was quite expensive.
If anyone from Brooklyn is doing this, your input would be appreciated.

Also, my girlfriend has Time Warner in Manhattan.
I think the same hold true for TW.
Anyone info would be appreciated here also.

nevermind... i'm an idiot

cablevision(optimum online) will bent. i tried to cancel a couple of weeks ago after seeing the price hike and was given a matching deal at dsl price, $30/m for a year.

cablevision is rather nice. I was given a 10 dollar discount called to cancel my service.

I usually pay my cable/broadband bill on the phone with a credit card every month to save a stamp and check (and to get my cash back or miles on my credit cards). A few months ago, I got my bill and it claimed they had not recieved my payment! I checked my VISA statement and it had the charge on it. I called the cable company and they could not find a record of me paying. I not only faxed them a copy of the charge on my VISA, but also had the confirmation number the CSR on the phone gave me when I paid it.

The point of the story is, that once they found out THEIR mistake, after a few calls back and forth. The CSR ended up giving me a $25 credit on my next 3 bills! I didn't even ask for it or even act mad about the whole situation. So if they screw up your bill, ask about a credit then too.

See a link in my earlier post. It answers these questions.

kcroach said:

<< I live in Brooklyn, NY and have Cablevision.
If I order Basic, does it require that I use a cable box?
I think they charge the service separately and charge for the rental of the descrambler box separatey. Do you need to use the descramble box to get Basic from Cablevision Brooklyn?
I think the rental of the box was quite expensive.
If anyone from Brooklyn is doing this, your input would be appreciated.

Also, my girlfriend has Time Warner in Manhattan.
I think the same hold true for TW.
Anyone info would be appreciated here also.
>>


Sorry OP but this is a COLD deal. My guess all you were on vacation in June. Take a look @ this cable deal FOR ALL ANALOG CABLE SERVICE !

Save on your cable bill - Tier Buy Through

A EXCELLANT POST by DVDerek . His/her post saved me big time. My bill went from 140 bucks to 50 bucks and I have MORE movie channels.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0> But I lost HSN and the rest of the info commerials. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif"border=0>

Edit The 50 bucks also includes online service. Yep the old ooops they broke the contract deal. So I settle for 19 bucks a month for 2 years. Thank you NJ States Attoneys Office ! End edit

To all that posted in thread read here.Cut Your Cable Bill !

Doesn't help me. I only pay $12.50/month for the basic channels. The bulk of my monthly payment is the $40/month for the cable internet service. And that's with me owning the modem and getting $10 off the monthly internet rate for also having cable tv with them.

I did post a link to that very same post a few messages below my original post. I am aware of that deal, but I do not care for any of the premium channels (never have). I do want to have CNN, Fox News, Discovery, Learning and History channels and those do not come with Tier Buy Through price plan.

WillysEmptyWallet said:

<< Sorry OP but this is a COLD deal. My guess all you were on vacation in June. Take a look @ this cable deal FOR ALL ANALOG CABLE SERVICE !

Save on your cable bill - Tier Buy Through

A EXCELLANT POST by DVDerek . His/her post saved me big time. My bill went from 140 bucks to 50 bucks and I have MORE movie channels.<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0> But I lost HSN and the rest of the info commerials. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0><img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif"border=0>

Edit The 50 bucks also includes online service. Yep the old ooops they broke the contract deal. So I settle for 19 bucks a month for 2 years. Thank you NJ States Attoneys Office ! End edit
>>


shmoker said:

<< I've had cablevision for 6 years and have seen charges double. I am in NY and was paying $50.75 for Family Cable without any premium channels. Here is what I did today:

Call customer service and go straight for cancellation department. Ask that cable service be terminated not immediately, but in a week or so. The CSR didn't offer a better deal immediately. He verified all of my information and inquired about the date I wanted service terminated. Only at the very end of the conversation did he ask why I wanted to cancel. I said that it has gotten too expensive and I was thinking of either switching to another company or not having cable service at all. After that he offered to reduce my monthly bill by $20 for 6 months. I said OK. That's it. I recommend that you ask for service to be disconnected in a week instead of immediately in case you don't get an offer and want to keep cable. In that case just call back and tell them you want to cancel the cancellation <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

P.S. People with more expensive cable packages might be able to get an even better deal since they have more to bargain with (this of course is a pure speculation on my part).

Edit by Moderator: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here.

<<<<<UPDATE>>>>>
The thread moderator is talking about is a different deal. It has to do with Tier Buy Through that gets you local channels only. I am talking about getting charges reduced for regular cable which includes CNN, Discovery, Learning, History, etc channels.
>>



thanks, i just did the same exact thing as you. i got tired of paying 50 per month for online. i told them verizon dsl was 30 dollars a month and that i was considering switching to them, so he gave me ool for 30 per month for 6 months.

WiseWallet said:

<< I am from Northern NJ. We used to get family package in our Apt complex, though we paid for basic.My daughter is enjoying the Cartoon Network and Nick. Jr.etc. One day, they put filters on all the lines and just the basic channels are allowed. Out of 20 basic channels, 10 are spanish and useless. I was so irritated that I cancelled immediately. The dumb CSR asked the reason. Told him that I am switching to Dish.

The next day, I got a call from corporate guys, wanted to know the reason behind my cancellation. I told them that I am pissed off that Cablevision didnt give us any time before putting filters and my daughter is driving us crazy as we are not getting cartoons. He was so apologetic and gave us 6 months optimum package which includes HBO, Showtime, Starz etc for the rate of basic. He said he will call back by the end of 6months to see if any deal can be worked out!!
>>


I can't believe that you were upset with them for enforcing the service level which you were paying for. You were effectively stealing service and you're the one who is upset? And how much programming did you expect to get from Dish for the amount you were paying for the basic service? Give you a clue: the answer is none.

I also cannot believe that they actually gave you a good deal when you told them that you had been stealing service. This whole rearrangement of channels was so they could do exactly what you say -- put Broadcast Basic channels at the low end and allow them to filter out all channels above that for customers who do not pay for them. As for the garbage channels, the Spanish ones are "must carry", that is, they are local on-air channels which have arranged for Cablevision to receive a good feed, so Cablevision must carry them. And the others you're complaining about, which I assume are the shopping channels, actually make money for the cable companies because they get a piece of all purchases. And obviously people buy stuff because otherwise they wouldn't all be on the air.

JohnnyRay said:

<< Doesn't help me. I only pay $12.50/month for the basic channels. The bulk of my monthly payment is the $40/month for the cable internet service. And that's with me owning the modem and getting $10 off the monthly internet rate for also having cable tv with them. >>


Is this Cablevision or someone else? Cablevision doesn't give a discount on Optimum Online if you just have the basic service.

If Comcast interests you, try my thread as well.

I have compiled many rebates that are universel and not just limited to Comcast.

Link to the Comast Compilation Thread


Shahhere

billrubin said:

<< JohnnyRay said:

<< Doesn't help me. I only pay $12.50/month for the basic channels. The bulk of my monthly payment is the $40/month for the cable internet service. And that's with me owning the modem and getting $10 off the monthly internet rate for also having cable tv with them. >>


Is this Cablevision or someone else? Cablevision doesn't give a discount on Optimum Online if you just have the basic service.
>>



No, I am with MediaCom.




Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014