• 1 234514
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Saw this posted on a forum elsewhere. You can buy a Creative Muvo MP3 Player for $299.99 + shipping right now. Extract the 4GB Microdrive inside and put it in your Digital SLR camera. This drive sells for $499.99 everywhere. If you have a 1GB Microdrive, stick it back in your Muvo and still have a funcitional 1GB player.

Interesting! Very creative find!

Ripped from dpreview as well.

Instruction

This is pretty hot I think. The 4GB 299.99 price is at Creative's website. I did not see this model listed in Pricegrabber.com. Does anyone know where else this unit is for sale at? Perhaps we can find it cheaper and use coupons, etc.

Also, from Anan---- forum, the Apple mini pod 4GB model supposedly uses the microdrive too. These are showing up for $238 on pricegrabber. I am not sure you would be able to use the mp3 player again after you took it apart. With the Muvo unit, I can put my old 1GB microdrive back in and reflash it and it will supposedly work.

Smilie

Canucklehead said:

<< Interesting! Very creative find! >>



ha!! I get it, creative find! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

Sounds like we could save $60 and sacrifice the iPod, or spend $60 and still have a serviceable MP3 player. Hmm.... decisions, decisions...

or, I could be good and just wait. But I don't like waiting!!

thanks.

thanks.

ipod mini is cheaper

hightechie said:

<< ipod mini is cheaper >>


What kind of drive is in the iPod mini?
FO

FarmerOak said:

<< What kind of drive is in the iPod mini?
FO
>>


the ipod mini thread said this one

Very surprised to hear they were using microdrives. I'm going to go under the assumption at the moment that the iPod mini also uses this, as Hitachi is the only one right now making 4GB drives for all the MP3 players (MuVo/iPod mini/Nitrus).

Nice find. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>

hightechie said:

<< FarmerOak said:

<< What kind of drive is in the iPod mini?
FO
>>


the ipod mini thread said this one
>>



So... The iPod mini holds a 4GB microdrive too. Is there anyway we can extract the drive from the iPod? Also, do the normal iPods hold microdrives? I read the stuff on their website, but it doesn't mention it.

Thanks,
FO

Amazing find. I enjoyed AndyMack.com's site. Pretty smart dude over there in Hong Kong...

FarmerOak said:

<< So... The iPod mini holds a 4GB microdrive too. Is there anyway we can extract the drive from the iPod? Also, do the normal iPods hold microdrives? I read the stuff on their website, but it doesn't mention it.

Thanks,
FO
>>


I am sure it is not any more difficult to get the drive out of the ipod than the muvo. The normal ipods are not microdrives (which is why they are larger). I would do a little research first, because these all might be rumors

Can some1 help clarify:

I can take out the 4GB CFII Microdrive from Muvo, and use that microdrive in the same slot just I would with CFI in Canon Digital Rebel?

$300 can only buy like 2 x 1GIG CFI now(in a sweet deal), so this is an execellent deal.

thanks in advance

ObiWan said:

<< Can some1 help clarify:

I can take out the 4GB CFII Microdrive from Muvo, and use that microdrive in the same slot just I would with CFI in Canon Digital Rebel?

$300 can only buy like 2 x 1GIG CFI now(in a sweet deal), so this is an execellent deal.

thanks in advance
>>



Canon Digital Rebel accepts both CF I and CF II cards.

I would imagine the use of this card would forefit your warranty rights on both the Muvo and the product you use the CF in. Just a thought.

FYI - you CANNOT remove the 4GB Hitachi drive from the new 4Gb Muvo2 and use it in another device. Unlike their 1.5Gb model, Creative ordered these drives with a proprietary connector for this very reason. It is not a CF/ATA type connection. I had a lenghty discussion about this very fact with a couple of Creatuve engineers at CES last week. They also had an exploded version on display in one of their CES displays. When you open the 4Gb Muvo2 it has the drive sub-chassis soldered to the Muvo2 MB. Creative was also selling these at CES for $199.99 + $7.00 FedEx 2nd day S&H.

BTW - The new Creative 40GB media player looks very promising and was by far the most popular product debuted.

Before you crack into your MP3 player, make sure you can use this drive in your camera. Many cameras - such as my $2000 Fuji S2 - still use FAT16. That means that even though this is a 4GB microdrive, I could only use 2GB of it.

Witold
www.witold.org

thanks for the info. I think I rather not take the risk on this. saving of $200 vs losing a $900 camera is kind of lopsided <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

it's a good post though, thanks OP.

cnIsfg said:

<< FYI - you CANNOT remove the 4GB Hitachi drive from the new 4Gb Muvo2 and use it in another device. Unlike their 1.5Gb model, Creative ordered these drives with a proprietary connector for this very reason. It is not a CF/ATA type connection. I had a lenghty discussion about this very fact with a couple of Creatuve engineers at CES last week. They also had an exploded version on display in one of their CES displays. When you open the 4Gb Muvo2 it has the drive sub-chassis soldered to the Muvo2 MB. Creative was also selling these at CES for $199.99 + $7.00 FedEx 2nd day S&H.

BTW - The new Creative 40GB media player looks very promising and was by far the most popular product debuted.
>>


Thats strange.....so is this website procedure basically wrong? Maybe the mp3 player they got was a proto version?

Has anyone else tried this procedure?

Thanks,

Smilie

Smilie said:

<< Thats strange.....so is this website procedure basically wrong? Maybe the mp3 player they got was a proto version?

Has anyone else tried this procedure?

Thanks,

Smilie
>>


That site tested a earlier Asian Muvo model. The US version is the Muvo2 which uses diffeent firmware and is smaller. The US 4Gb Muvo2 is also in a black bezeled case.

cnIsfg said:

<< FYI - you CANNOT remove the 4GB Hitachi drive from the new 4Gb Muvo2 and use it in another device. Unlike their 1.5Gb model, Creative ordered these drives with a proprietary connector for this very reason. It is not a CF/ATA type connection. I had a lenghty discussion about this very fact with a couple of Creatuve engineers at CES last week. They also had an exploded version on display in one of their CES displays. When you open the 4Gb Muvo2 it has the drive sub-chassis soldered to the Muvo2 MB. Creative was also selling these at CES for $199.99 + $7.00 FedEx 2nd day S&H.

BTW - The new Creative 40GB media player looks very promising and was by far the most popular product debuted.
>>


Ah, thanks for explaining. I was thinking that they would never use microdrives either because of cost to them, or that people would figure this out and buy the player only for the drive... thanks for confirming. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

does that mean -- if i get the asian ones -- i can rip out the microdrives? cause i have family back there and should have no problem getting them and getting them brought over here..

cnIsfg said:

<<
That site tested a earlier Asian Muvo model. The US version is the Muvo2 which uses diffeent firmware and is smaller. The US 4Gb Muvo2 is also in a black bezeled case.
>>



Dpesnt seem correct - His site clearly says its a Muvo2. Even if you look at the picture on the site, it says MUVO2 on the case. And except for the color seems identical to the one pictured on the creative US shopping site

Besides I havent heard of an earlier 4GB version either. It doesnt make sense for a manufacturer to make differed hardware internals for different parts of the worldAny link or information on that.

Some useful links
News Story

Hitachi Press Release


Hitachi's new 4GB Microdrive, (officially known as the Hitachi Microdrive 3K4 series), is designed to the Compact Flash Type II industry standard and is compatible with a wide variety of devices that accept CF+ Type II media

Either way, it kind of says something about how overpriced the 4gb Microdrives are. If Creative can buy them cheap enough to put in their units and still make a profit off the full unit, it kind of says that the individual 4GB drives are sky high.

Here is another guy who has done this. Hes used a US model.

Looks like this is the way to go or try it with the IPOD

Another successful 4GB extract

muniala said:

<< Here is another guy who has done this. Hes used a US model.

Looks like this is the way to go or try it with the IPOD

Another successful 4GB extract
>>



Yes that is the US model case. However, that is not the final version that will be available in the US as the 4Gb Muvo2. It is close, but the US version has the drive soldered to the MB on three sides and is not in its own discreet Hitachi microdrive case. My guess is that it is probably from one of the preliminary press kits? The drive connector on the 4GB Muvo2 is also not CF/ATA and the Muvo2 connector is supplying 1.5V vs the 3V ATA/CF standard. As I posted earlier, I met with Creative a couple engineers about this speciic issue at CES. Under Creative's contract with Hitachi, their US shipping version of the Muvo2 will not have a removeable drive. The US unit will not even start shipping until next week even though it shows as in stock on their website (call and verify if you want) . I ordered two (The max you could order) at CES for $414 shipped that are supposed to be delivered by 1/30. The shipping proirity is as follows.... Press kits, CES preorders, Retail VARs, website orders. According to the 1-800-998-1000 CS line website orders of the 4GB Muvo2 are not expected to ship until late February.

what to do? what to do? <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif"border=0>

/pacing

muniala said:

<< Here is another guy who has done this. Hes used a US model.

Looks like this is the way to go or try it with the IPOD

Another successful 4GB extract
>>


My two cents.....
For those who simply want a bigger storage capacity to-go, consider the download / off-load method by using the X'S drive (link).

P.S. I am not affliated to this company. Just think they have a great idea.

While this is all very confusing to those of us without products in our hands, I asked the OP in this forum

Link to Another Discussion on Microdrive

where he got his Muvo2, and you can see the reply for yourself.

matucla said:

<< While this is all very confusing to those of us without products in our hands, I asked the OP in this forum

Link to Another Discussion on Microdrive

where he got his Muvo2, and you can see the reply for yourself.
>>



Ok, can we get this straightened out? The guy in the other forum bought his Muvo2 just last week. But cnIsfg is saying that a "new" revised model will be shipped within a week, one that the drive cannot be removed. So.... if we order now, will we get the "old" removable version, or the "new", screw-you-I'm-soldered-in version?

FO

Anyone? Yeah, I'm impatient <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif"border=0>

FO

This sounds like a sweet deal! Thanks OP!

I ordered on the website today and it says it will be here in 4 days. I will try the removal then, and I will let you guys know. If it does not work and is soldered in I will return the unit to Creative. Just have to be careful removing the warrenty stickers. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

manwdaplan said:

<< I ordered on the website today and it says it will be here in 4 days. I will try the removal then, and I will let you guys know. If it does not work and is soldered in I will return the unit to Creative. Just have to be careful removing the warrenty stickers. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0> >>



Awesome, let us know how it goes. I really don't feel like paying $499 for one of these drives <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif"border=0> . Worst case scenario for you is you could sell the Muvo on eBay and get your money back.

FO

I will be very interested in how this turns out. Can you say Cliff Clavin?

FedEx just delivered my two 4GB Muvo2s that I ordered last Friday at CES. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0> They had originally told me it would be the end of the month. When I get home I will crack into these and see if the Htachi 4GB microdrive is soldered to the MB like the Creative engineers were stating at the show.

Let us know how it goes.....I cant wait to hear. I have one on the way and it will be here on Wednesday. I am hoping this works so I dont have to deal with getting rid of a MP3 player.

thanks

Yeah! Let us know real soon!

FO

Skipping 513 Messages...
I purchased a Muvo2 back in January for about $200. The drive sold for over $300 on eBay. Now I just popped in a 256MB Sandisk CF Card. It went to recovery mode and was able to format. But I had to connect to the PC and re-load the firmware afterwards to get rid of the "Media Error". Same exact firmware version.

Eric



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014