• 1 234512
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
HOT! Save ~$28/mo on your Cablevision bill!

I just called Cablevision to see if they are running any promotions on their Optimum Online and/or Cable TV services. Turns out they are finally running two promotions for existing customers.

1) They will apply a $10 credit towards your Optimum Online bill for 3 months bringing the cost down to $34.95 per month.
2) They have a $29.95 per month plan for Broadcast Basic + Family Cable that runs at least until the end of June. Regular price for this service is $47.25. That is an additional savings of $18 per month.

I had no problem getting in on *BOTH* promotions - a $138 SAVINGS over the next 6 months. Just call and ask to speak to RETENTION department. I politely mentioned that I was considering dropping Optimum Online because it was getting too expensive for me and asked if they could do anything to lower my monthly cost.

Good Luck!

FYI - my Cablevision area is Oakland NJ
link for cablevision phone list

Update 11/02/06: Just got 6 months of iO Gold at a promotional rate of $59.95, instead of the $87.95 regular price. I could not get the free DVR box for 12 months, like others have reported getting, because the area in which I live does not qualify - translation...FiOS not available yet

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It's supposed to be available now according to their ads (I know that the franchise agreement with NYC was approved). If... (more)

billrubin (Aug. 18, 2008 @ 12:18p) |

Anybody got a solution for getting Optimum Online Boost cheaper? I'm trying to host a very small webserver with equipme... (more)

CycleGeek (Sep. 17, 2008 @ 8:54p) |

My year of discounted triple play is up and now my triple play costs me $145 (instead of $98).
I never made use of the DV... (more)

forthill (Sep. 23, 2008 @ 10:04p) |

PLEASE POST CV (new cust) PROMO DEALS HERE:
If you get a mailer or a new cust offer please post it here, so that current customers may call to receive the same promotion...

For those upgrading to IO GOLD - $25 SHOWTIME rebate availble HERE

CV to increse TV prices FEB 2006
IO Silver $66.95 to $67.95
IO Gold $86.95 to $87.95
Cable box $4.95 to $5.50

Current OOL promo as reported by denysel
$23.90/mth when you install it yourself. Thru 1/31/06. FREE shipping on Modem.
You can only access it thru an AOL browser, BUT if you don’t have an account, it tells you you can’t signup online, to call 1-866-916-FAST (3278) to signup. New Optonline customers only. Current cable subscribers are offered a gift.
YMMV maybe this can be used for some leverage in negotuating...

The Dolans are offering too little too late. I went with DirecTV to get away from them. I told their phone sales person that if they raise the price of Optimum Online one cent more, I will go to DSL. They are thieves. Amazing how you can have a monoply and lose it due to ineptness.

Cablevision's price is so ridiciously high. They have just raised their price in NJ. I am thinking switching to verizon DSL, and just keep the broadcast cable.

lktlkw said:

<< Cablevision's price is so ridiciously high. They have just raised their price in NJ. I am thinking switching to verizon DSL, and just keep the broadcast cable. >>

I'm also in Northern NJ but unfortunately for me, verizon DSL is not offered in my area yet. Hard to believe!

Check here to see if it's offered by you

Edit: I just checked and it turns out that Verizon DSL is now available for me. Go figure, last month it was not! Now I can make more than an empty threat to leave Optimum Online.

Yike. Hang in there, verizon will eventually come.

On the side note, I was at cablevision one day and overheard a guy paying his bill and was over $100/month for cable. That's insane!

nomar05 said: I'm also in Northern NJ but unfortunately for me, verizon DSL is not offered in my area yet. Hard to believe! >>

More or less likely your location is too far from relay station. Therefore no dsl period whichs bites.

I see you updated your status. Good for you; relay station was not your problem.

lktlkw said: Yike. Hang in there, verizon will eventually come. On the side note, I was at cablevision one day and overheard a guy paying his bill and was over $100/month for cable. That's insane! >>

Indeed if he has the OLD box (analog) he should get ala carte. About $25(basic & choice of 2 movie pkgs) a month plus $29 for online.

Willysemptywallet:

What program are you referring to when you say "he should get a la carte" ..? Please elaborate.

/syf3r

syf3r said:

<< Willysemptywallet:

What program are you referring to when you say "he should get a la carte" ..? Please elaborate.

/syf3r
>>

Q: What does it mean when a channel is offered on an a la carte (per-channel) orpay-per-view basis?
    A: “A la carte” means that a channel is offered on an individual per-channel basisrather than as part of a package or tier of programming. For example, premium movie services are often offered on an individual basis rather than as part of a package of several channels. “Pay-per-view” means there is a separate charge for each program or event. For example, a separate rate may be charged for each movie or for a specific sports event. The rates charged for per-channel or pay-per-view programming are notsubject to review by federal or local authorities.

LINK From FCC Document

Tier Buy Through

Save on your cable bill - Tier Buy Through

Lower Your Cablevision Cable Bill by $20 for 6 months (YMMV??)

WillysEmptyWallet said:

<< Indeed if he has the OLD box (analog) he should get ala carte. About $25(basic & choice of 2 movie pkgs) a month plus $29 for online. >>

Why only $29 for online?

I just got off the phone with Cablevision and it seems the offer expired 1/31/04.

It would have been nice though.

DEAD OFFER!

Can Tier Buy Through Cut Your Cable Bill?
    Little-Known Law Can Save Money

POSTED: 11:20 a.m. EDT May 23, 2003
    UPDATED: 2:40 p.m. EDT May 23, 2003

BOSTON -- Do you want to save money on your cable bill? There may be a way, using a rarely publicized federal law.

It's called tier buy through, and it allows consumers to pick and choose the channels they want, without having to buy packages.

For example, in Boston, you can buy the basic cable service for $6.21, which includes 20 regular broadcast channels. Then, you can add HBO for an extra $13.99, for a total of $20.20.

Using the package deals Comcast advertises, most consumers think they have to buy a package for $56.12, which includes 80 other channels you might not want.

The law can be confusing, even for the cable companies, so Consumer Reporter Susan Wornick held a live chat. If you missed it or had computer difficulties, click here for a transcript of the entire chat.

Also, we've included a couple of links on this page for more information about the law and other rights you have as a cable consumer.

LINK

My broadband is only 17 bucks. I wanted to cancel. Instead of loosing, they offered for 17. As always, YMMV. I have many options, like DSL, Direcway, cable, etc.,. If they raise, they will loose my business.

nomar05 said:

<< lktlkw said:

<< Cablevision's price is so ridiciously high. They have just raised their price in NJ. I am thinking switching to verizon DSL, and just keep the broadcast cable. >>

I'm also in Northern NJ but unfortunately for me, verizon DSL is not offered in my area yet. Hard to believe!

I just checked and turns out it is now available
Last month it was not!
>>

Of course though Verizon DSL is really, REALLY a ton slower then Optimum Online.

I know, I recently moved into my new house and my wife and I decided to get DishNetwork satellite TV (Which we LOVE!) and dump the crooks at Cablevision. And the internet connection speed doesn't even compare...in fact I've considered going back just for internet cable connection...DSL is really too freaking slow for me.

On my cable modem I was getting 600-700 mbps transfer rates....and on DSL the best I've achieved is 105 or so. Terrible.

duijver said:

<< I just got off the phone with Cablevision and it seems the offer expired 1/31/04.

It would have been nice though.

DEAD OFFER!
>>

Not dead...I called a little over an hour ago...TODAY!

nomar05 said: Not dead...I called a little over an hour ago...TODAY! >>

I just got off the phone with them. Seems deal is still ON ! Be patient, but be polite and persistent. to get deal PLUS back months credit.

pm6163 said: Why only $29 for online? >>

People who signed for a 2 year contract (buy your own modem) are still under price protection($19.99 amonth) till 2007.

People that sign " The Wiz " contract($29.99) must take look @ the contract old rate is still protected. If they increased you during this contract they own YOU $$$, be place back @ old rate, plus 3 months free. Sorry lost the link plus I can not get the "Campbell Settlement" out of my mind.

YMMV(Check with your AG) In most states if cablevision has a lower offer. They must also give you that same offer.

THANK YOU! I just called Cablevision in Woodbury Long Isalnd NY and followed your instructions and I got my family + Basic lowered from $45.77 to $29.95. Thanks again.

kaitya said:THANK YOU! I just called Cablevision in Woodbury Long Isalnd NY and followed your instructions and I got my family + Basic lowered from $45.77 to $29.95. Thanks again. >>

Your welcome; glad to see you do not listen to nay sayers'.

While you whiners pout about Optimum Online and long for the day you can give Verizon your money for 1.5Mbit/90kbps (150K down, a whopping 11K up) I just thought I'd leave you with this:

Optimium Online is 10Mbit/1Mbit

Transferred: ygs2-log.part11.rar 14.31 MB in 13.08 (1,120.08 KBps)

I also upload at 115KB/s

You all have a ball with your dsl

<< The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten -Benjamin Franklin >>

hrmmmm they said that they cant give me two offers at once

WillysEmptyWallet said:

<< ...plus I can not get the "Campbell Settlement" out of my mind. >>

Holy cow! I missed this somehow....nice. Free hands-free device (Or at least $15 off) and some credits or a calling card. Nice indeed.

Thanks for pointing it out!

cc624 said:hrmmmm they said that they cant give me two offers at once >>

Hello AG !

AboveBARDesigns said:Holy cow! I missed this somehow....nice. Free hands-free device (Or at least $15 off) and some credits or a calling card. Nice indeed.

Thanks for pointing it out! >>

Your welcome. BTW continue to read. You will find you can also get the second offer PLUS the first. etc etc

WillysEmptyWallet said:

<< People that sign " The Wiz " contract($29.99) must take look @ the contract old rate is still protected. If they increased you during this contract they own YOU $$$, be place back @ old rate, plus 3 months free. Sorry lost the link plus I can not get the "Campbell Settlement" out of my mind.
>>

I signed on with " The Wiz ", but can't find my contract. It must have been about 2 years ago. I wonder how I can find out how long my contract was and if the rate was locked in for a certain timeframe. I just signed up with their on with their Online Bill Payment so I can get my account info online. Perhaps I can get some answers once my account has been activated.

Edit: Found my contract. Looks like it's a 12 month contract I signed in Apr-2002 for $34.95 per month. I don't think they overcharged me during those 12 months. Modem was free without any agreement.

For the lazy....

Chat With Susan Wornick Regarding Cable Tier Buy Through
    May 23, 2003, 1 To 2 p.m.
    MODERATOR: Welcome to The Boston Channel.com chat with NewsCenter 5's Susan Wornick.

MODERATOR: Susan will be answering your questions about the cable tier buy through law and how it could save you money.

MODERATOR: This is a moderated chat, so your question may not show up right away. Also, if several people ask the same question, we'll just put one of them up, to avoid confusion.

MODERATOR: Be sure to hit the "Submit to Moderator" button to send in your question, or we won't see it.

mmodar: Is this a new regulation or a little-known new one?

Susan Wornick: the law was passed in 1992 but the cable companies had 10 years to comply for alot of reasons .. some technical. the grace period ended last fall .. so that's why we are just hearing about it now /EDIT YEAH RIGHT ! END/EDIT

mmodar: As a Comcast subscriber (Basic Expanded Basic) I'd like to be able to cherry-pick the channels I want, but can't get rid of the likes of home shopping center. Would I be able to do that now?

Susan Wornick: yes. if you pick just the very basic service .. you will get the 20or so over the air regular network programs .. and then be able to select which premium channels you want a la carte (and for a price ranging from 12.95 to $13.95

bostonguy: question about the price in the news article, don't you also need a box and remote to get a channel like HBO?

Susan Wornick: there are different kind of kixes and need for them .. digital for example mandates a different box for receiving HBO. Call your company to find out if you need a box and which one

taranfive: I live in Goucester with basic cable and it runs about 41.00 a month is there anyway to lower my bill?

Susan Wornick: yes. you can get the very basic service for under $10 ..

bostonguy: standard cable channels are not offered ala carte correct, I think you are just saying that HBO and movie channels are a la carte correct?

Susan Wornick: yes you are right. The law allows the cable companies to decide which channels they want to offer as premium channels. Comcast has 5 .. HBO Starz Encore The Movie Channel Cinemax and Showtime .. (I think that's 5!)

number13: if you return their box and remote can ;you get options

Susan Wornick: yes. you should be able to start from ground zero with the very basic service (I assume you are talking about digital and the digital box) you have options that Comcast says they are happy to discuss with you if you call the customer service numberon your biill. By the way .. Comcast also is moving many of those customer reps to Mass... they used to be in other parts of the country .. so it will be better communication

bostonguy: Does Comcast make you sign a contract like Direct TV?

Susan Wornick: I am not familiar with a contract you must sign .. like with dirtect tv .. but a signature may be required to receive certain equipment

lovelymari: Susan, I've tried in the past to change my programing. What should I do if I still get resistance from Comcast?

Susan Wornick: call us .. we'll call their PR person (who has really been very helpful to us in the past) She insists Comcastis trying to become more customer friendly and we are holding her to that. We are not shy about calling her with individual problems.

pwocker.: Hello Susan: Comcast has moved NESN from its Premium Channel to its Extended Basic Bundle. Because of this move they require that customers buy into their Extended Basic Service to watch the Red Sox Game. This increases NESN from a $10.00 Premium channel to a $38.00 bundle. Is this prohibited under the Cable Buy-through Federal Legislation?

MODERATOR: Thanks for all your questions. We have many queued up, so don't be surprised if it takes a while for Susan to get to yours. Also, see if someone else is asking a similar question.

Susan Wornick: no .. unfortunately it is not. And another thong .. none of this applies to Digital because digital wasn't a factor when thelaw is written. We have to get congress to go back and amend the law to make it all inclusive. But back to your question .. NESN is not included inthe premium channels available a la carte .. no such luck... I do think that is calculated on the part of the cable companies .. I'm sure baseball is a huge money maker for them. By the way .. alot of how channels are designate

/EDIT HEADS UP READ THIS ! /END EDIT
    snakemyst: what if you have a different cable company other than comcast?

Susan Wornick: It doesn't matter. This is a federal law .. applies to every company around the country

bostonguy: you can't pick just regular cable channels a la carte, just premium, i believe you missed the point on one of those questions earlier

Susan Wornick: yes .. sorry if I missed that .. to be clear .. a consumer can only pick certain station a la carte .. 5 premium stations that I listed above

Susan Wornick: make that certain stationS a la carte

cajopzz: Is there nothing that cab be done about the cost for service for digital tv and my options?

MODERATOR: Thanks for all your questions. We have many queued up, so don't be surprised if it takes a while for Susan to get to yours. Also, see if someone else is asking a similar question.

Susan Wornick: not really .. as I said .. the law applies only to analog .. but the companies do have various digital packages .. so maybe you can something cheaper than you have currently.manies

NancyPowel: Does this apply to satallite also - they offer the same programming

Susan Wornick: no .. cable companies like Comcast see satellite as their competition by the way ..

mariejane: gan the cable refuse to down grade your service until your bill is up to date

Judy115: I'm Comcast in Wey., paying $105. a mo., but no HBO, TMC,etc. It's ridiculous.

Susan Wornick: I am not sure .. but probably. The can probably freeze your account .. or cancel srvice altogether until your finanical committment is set

Mandaj: I have comcast - do i jcall them and tell them that I want the basic plan plus hbo (or whatever additional channels that i want)?

Susan Wornick: wow .. that is alot for no HBO. Yes ..call them and tell them you want the basic package .. and then whichever premium channels you wants for movies .. and .. you can get only one .. or all 5 .. the key is you pay a la carte

tommyo: I have just recently purchased a HDTV; I do realize the need for a digital tuner,however, Comcast charges to use a Comcast box. I thought HDTV was afree service, as this is the future broadcasting method. Any thoughts ?

Susan Wornick: too mamny thoguht to rerally get into here .. but essentially .. the cable companies charge for the digital service .. the HDTV IS free .. just not available unless you pay the premium for digital ..

greggp: Comcast obviously doesn't want to publicize this...is there "A Script" to say to them to have them spill the beans?

Susan Wornick: by the way everyone .. I apologize for my spelling and typos .. I'm trying to go really fast and I'm not that great a typist (AND I spell poorly!!!)

Susan Wornick: I would use my name. I suspect by now they have had so many inquiries about my report they are all very aware of what the law is and the services are

anniep: did i understand, that, if you have a digital box, your options are different?

Susan Wornick: yes. digital is different than analog. The new law applies to analog only because digital wasn't a factor in 1992 when this was passed. But that doesn't mean you must have digital. The cable company can't force you to have digital (tho they do a really good job of marketing its advantages. Those advantages are more money of course!)

armstead: What if you don't want any premium channels only channels like History, Discovery etc. Do you have to buy packages for these?

Susan Wornick: yes

mami1: i've repeatedly called Comcast about getting a less expensive option and they've sid that if Iwant HBO then the plan I have is my only option and that option costs me $75.00 a month...there must be a cheaper alternative

Susan Wornick: if you have analog service you can get the basic service and buy HBO a la carte. That's the essence of the new law

beno: I have digital cable and I understand the law does not apply to digital...why is this?

Susan Wornick: becasue the law was written and passed in 1992 .. and digital wasn't a factor.

LAFlats: If I was to cancel my cable with ComCast, reinstate it with basic cable (approx 7.50/month) and HBO (ala carte) would I get the exspanded basic stations?

Susan Wornick: no .. you would get the channels provided with the basic service (about 20) and HBO or any other premium movie channel you wanted to add a la carte

norash833: comcast doesn't tell you about the digital classic which is cheaper than digital plus

Susan Wornick: Comcast told us they are inthe process of updating their website as well.

sue66: Can you pick which channels you want in "expanded basic"?

cablerocks: I just got HDTV service from Comcast.....the HDTV box is ONLY $2 more per month ($7.25).....they offer PBS, ABC

Susan Wornick: there are actually several digital packages as there are with analog. You have to ask .. "what's the cheapest?"

scout9: My Comcast bill says basic service is $12.62, but I thought you said it should be $6.00 and some change

Susan Wornick: expanded basic is a package. O you canot pick which channels you want to be in that package.

SVIATOR: i live in fall river is there another cable company other than comcast?

Susan Wornick: the very basic service is analog only and doesn't include any premium channels.

Susan Wornick: I don't think so .. another problem with cable (in my opinion) is that there isn't a free marketplace where many companies can come into town and compete all at the same time. Cities and towns have their own commissions and generally they decide which comany (one company) will provide the service. The other big provider in Massachusetts is RCN

ultrav22: will I be charged to switch from digital to analog?

Susan Wornick: you shouldn't be. I haven't heard of a penalty clause .. tho some companies may charge for a service call to have boxes picked up. Call a custoer service rep and make sureyou ask specifically of there's a charge and what it is for

simonsmom: You answered my question about getting non-premium channels but I would like to know if you need to have their equipment to get these. We have on occasion gotten some of these by mistake for a few days just fine w/o their equiqment but they seem to try to push their cable box saying it's neccesary for channels other than basic.

Susan Wornick: you do need certain boxes for some premuim stations. For example .. a couple of weeks ago I couldn't get a certina movie at home because I discovered I didn't have the roight equipment in the room.. I was however able to get the movie in another room.It's all very confusing!!!

anguspet: I have Charter mini basic @13.01 and satellite tier for 36.58 just to get NESN. Anyway to get around this?

paaunt: I have comcast cable. When I called and asked if I could purchase NESN separately, I was told no and I wonder why?

Susan Wornick: I am not familiar with Charter .. or their price loist .. but I doubt that they offer NESN a la carte .. and the only way to get it would be either buy a package thru them .. or they was you are doing it. By the way .. as I mentioned earlier .. cable companies see satellite compsnies as their big competitors .. not other camble companies (probably because as I said .. it isn't exactly a free markektplace!!)

SusanKB: How can they charge for "basic" AND "expanded basic" ?

Susan Wornick: it is 2 different services with different channels inthe packages

Reffer: How do I get a list of what the "basic" 20 channels is?

MODERATOR: If you have a problem getting timed out, just send something to the moderator, even nonsense. I won't publish it, but it will keep you in the chat.

Susan Wornick: call the cable company. Comcast tells me they are delighted to helpt thru their customer service reps. They also say they are adding dozens of new reps to cut down on wait time .. but the other side of that coin is that newer people may not know everyting theyare suppose to ..and that's why some are giving out wrong information

tedco: Susan, my mother moved into her new condo 3yrs ago and order cable...she never recieved a bill and assumed it was included in her condo fee, (it isn't however), yesterday she lost half her channels and is afraid if she calls the cable company they will try to charge her for the past 3 years, any suggestions?

Susan Wornick: yes .. ahve her call us next week (because of this story all our lines and voicemails are jammed up) and we will try to make a call in her behalf to negotiate something. 781 433 4265. I work with 2 wonderful women here .. Sarah and Michelle .. and tho we are often days (and sometimes weeks behind) we try to help everyone we can

paaunt: Thank you Susan for all you do for we -- the consumer!

Reffer: Are channels like ESPN or ESPN2 considered to be "Premium" Channels? I believe we had to buy the "expanded" basic in order to get those, when in fact, those would be the only ones we (my husband) would want.

Susan Wornick: that's the catch .. no .. ESPN 1 and 2 can only be accessed thru a package.

tutunjiana: In Belmont we cannot get FOX news. Comcast says it is BElmont's decision not to receive this channel ? Is this true ? The other neighboring towns all get it.

Susan Wornick: I am trying very hard to feel bad that you can't get Fox news .. but I'msure you understand .. !!!!!! Yes .. cities and towns have alot to say about what the carrier provides. That's why there are discrepancies bewteen towns even with the same company

djmichaud: My mother is currently using analog. She is under the impression that at some point everyone must switch to digital. Is this true?

Susan Wornick: no .. tho I don't think the cable companies would agree. They insist that digital is the way to go. Our technical people here tell me digital doesn't even necessarily mean better picture

saramiah: Susan, Are there taxes and surcharges on top of the $6,21 basic costs in Boston?

Susan Wornick: yes. there are state and federal taxes.

SVIATOR: isn;t it true that if you have cable ready tv's that you don't need a box?

Susan Wornick: the way I understand it you still need a box for certain programs .. but call you company to see which ones

MODERATOR: We've got about 5 minutes left for the chat, so we'll get to as many questions as we can.

saramiah: Susan, thanks for the chat and the consumer spot on the news. I now only watch channel 5 noon news. I love your side comments and relaxed style.

framingham: Hi Susan, Your the best person on WCVB!! We love to watch you

bunnyrun49: I guess it's like buying a newspaper - you can't just buy the sports section and the comics.

janny42: Thank you Susan for the opportunity to ask these questions.

bostonguy: don't forget about the box charges if you get premium channels, your quote did not include those, $20.20 is only programming charges...

turbo_37: moderator : can you tell me how to enlarge my "chat" screen size?

MODERATOR: turbo -- screen size is fixed.

Susan Wornick: right .. there are so many things to know .. and again .. I want to remond everyone .. Comcast says they really want to hear from customers with questions!! Don't be shy about calling them

janny42: As soon as 2: 00 arrives, I am calling the cable company to ask to switch to an analog box! If they refues me...what should I tell them?

cablerocks: sounds like we need to do another oen of these real soon

Ray39mo2: Thanks Susan for the information, your great.

Susan Wornick: ask to speak to a supervisor .. and tell them about what you learned about your rights. The Comcast PR personhas been very helpful to us and insists that they want to help people who call. They admit that some wrong infomration is going out and they are trying to educate all of their operators

deelh: Thanks Susan. Have a wonderful and safe week-end.

Susan Wornick: thatnks to all of you for participating (and putting up woith my bad typing and spelling) I truly appreciate all the nice comments and hope to do this regulalry on a variety of topics. Have a nice weekend everyone .. remember .. they aren't clising the malls of pizza places .. so .. forget the weather!!!

MODERATOR: Thanks everyone. We'll try to do another of these soon!

scout9: Thank's Susan!

Ray39mo2: Have a safe and dry weekend ha ha

MODERATOR: Good bye all!

janny42: Thank you again Susan, and have a good weekend. Rain Rain go away--come again another weekend!

I can't live without ESPN's Baseball Tonight

Well it did not work for me. I called and they have no promotions. Cablevision Warwick NY.

signed up last week for optonline 6 mths special of 23.95 per month then regular rate

zaraza69 said:Well it did not work for me. I called and they have no promotions. Cablevision Warwick NY. >>

"Susan Wornick: ask to speak to a supervisor .. "

Doh!

No go for me. Spoke to a person at the sales department who said there are no promotions for existing customers. Pretty much said that since you are a customer now, do you really think you're going to get a promotional discount? Then I asked to be transferred over to the retention/disconnect department. Spoke to the supervisor there and there was nothing they could do. Monmouth Cablevision.

WillysEmptyWallet said:

<<

>>

What was your previous rate for optimum online. I just called them and my request got denied. The reason is that I just got off previous promotion ($39.95), so I can't get new promotion.

Thanks.

jjfat said:

<<
What was your previous rate for optimum online. I just called them and my request got denied. The reason is that I just got off previous promotion ($39.95), so I can't get new promotion.

Thanks.
>>

I have been paying $44.95/mo since the beginning of the year.
Prior to that, I had a 3-month promotional rate at $34.95/mo as a "one time courtesy" because of the price increase.

It worked for me and I just got off of the $10 credit for Optimum Online customers (by request only). I spoke to the retention Dept, just like the original poster said, do not speak to any other dept. I told the that my husband and I are getting ready to make a decision about dumping optimum and Cable for satelite and DSL and my neighbor told me to speak to the rentention dept about a $29.95 rate for cablevision and the guy said no problem and changed my rate. It was really very quick. Do not speak to any other dept.

I have to admit, Optimum Online is pretty fast. Here are my test results:

http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/

test#1 2106 Kbps
test#2 2374 kbps
test#3 2396 kbps

Definitely worth $34.95/mo!

MorganNY said:

<< While you whiners pout about Optimum Online and long for the day you can give Verizon your money for 1.5Mbit/90kbps (150K down, a whopping 11K up) I just thought I'd leave you with this:

Optimium Online is 10Mbit/1Mbit

Transferred: ygs2-log.part11.rar 14.31 MB in 13.08 (1,120.08 KBps)

I also upload at 115KB/s

You all have a ball with your dsl

<< The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten -Benjamin Franklin >>

>>

thats right. with ool, u get the best performance/money ratio. you cant get 1MB/s dl and 120KB/s ul speed anywhere else. for people who dont do heavy dl, dsl might be better. ool dont cap your bw too. so u dont have to worry about how much you allow to dl per month. btw, im paying $50 per month for internet + tv. good deal? i got basic tv, but i can watch like 30-40 channels: mtv, mtv2, vh1, discovery, tlc, tbs, usa, espen, etc.

thanks- my rep would only give me one promotion or the other (either the TV reduction for 6 months or the otponline for 3 months), but saving 17.25 a month for 6 months is nice....

AboveBARDesigns said:

<< nomar05 said:

<< lktlkw said:

I just checked and turns out it is now available
Last month it was not!
>>

Of course though Verizon DSL is really, REALLY a ton slower then Optimum Online.

I know, I recently moved into my new house and my wife and I decided to get DishNetwork satellite TV (Which we LOVE!) and dump the crooks at Cablevision. And the internet connection speed doesn't even compare...in fact I've considered going back just for internet cable connection...DSL is really too freaking slow for me.

On my cable modem I was getting 600-700 mbps transfer rates....and on DSL the best I've achieved is 105 or so. Terrible.
>>

Unless you sole purpose of having Internet access is to download large files on a fairly regular basis, you will hardly notice a different between those reported cable speeds versus average residential DSL speeds for surfing the web.

Believe me, I know cable is faster on average, but speeds for cable vary greatly during peek hours. IDK about the rest of you, but I am in no rush to give the cable company any more money, so as long as DSL is available, that is what I will use.

Skipping 419 Messages...
My year of discounted triple play is up and now my triple play costs me $145 (instead of $98).
I never made use of the DVR so I'm thinking about cancelliing IO and going back to just Cable TV and Opt Online, then pick up a voip service from somewhere else.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014