• 1 234525
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Update - 04/28

Archos 20 GB MP3 Jukebox,
List Price: $299.99
Price: $179.88
You Save: $120.11 (40%)
- $50 rebate
= $129.88 Free shipping,

Check your Gold Box!
$152.90 (gold box price) - $50 MIR
= $102.90 AR in Gold Box
$72.90 AR shipped with new Amazon credit card activated

Good find, read the reviews, they are really scary.

Thanks OP. looks hot to me. the lowest on pricegrabber is 226.00

the price grabber price can't be right. Amazon had this onsale for $129 AR a few times. When people start to buy, Amazon will up the price to $149 AR.

i've heard some pretty bad feedback about these... thanks for the post though!

I've had mine a few months.
No problems at all. You should install the RockBox software, obviously. Before that... it's sketchy at best.

Got one and thanks OP.....

The bad things that people have heard was before the firmware upgrade that has fixed most problems that the unit had......

My older model has worked great since the upgrade for the unit...

Not your every day jogging unit as it is a little heavy and bulky.....

Does anyone know if this model has an audio out to run into a receiver and such?????

Did you upgrade to rockbox or just the archos upgrade ?

purplehaze said:

<< Got one and thanks OP.....

The bad things that people have heard was before the firmware upgrade that has fixed most problems that the unit had......

My older model has worked great since the upgrade for the unit...

Not your every day jogging unit as it is a little heavy and bulky.....
>>


Ive had an Archos 20 gig recorder for two years now, it gets about 10 hours of use a week and still works great!

Thanks OP, just got one.

Primarily need it for playing it in car and occasional voice recording and burn CD's from it.

Those who have it what adapter will play it in the car ? any suggestions ? FM or the cassette ? Any suggestions ?

I used an irock fm modulator and it was a pos. I don't have a tape player in my car but tried a cassette tape adapter in my friends car and it worked much better.

purplehaze said:

<< Does anyone know if this model has an audio out to run into a receiver and such????? >>



Most of the Archos models come with miniplug/left and right RCA jack cord. Even if they don't, they are pretty cheap. Hooks right up.

For those like me who have been worried about Archos Tech Support horror stories (lack of support):

I have had an JBMM20 for the last eleven months. Everything has worked fine but I recently discovered that the analog line in recording feature didn't work. Called their toll Tech Support number, was on hold for about 10 minutes, spoke to a CSR for about 5 minutes, got the RMA number. Much, much better than I expected given all the stories over the last few years. Wished they had a toll free number (email didn't seem to work), you have to pay for shipping to them (tracking/insured) and it might be somewhat of a wait to get it fixed. On the plus side is the one year warranty vs. some of the 90 day wonders. We'll see what I say after I get it back. So far so good.

spidy said:

<< Did you upgrade to rockbox or just the archos upgrade ?

purplehaze said:

<< Got one and thanks OP.....

The bad things that people have heard was before the firmware upgrade that has fixed most problems that the unit had......

My older model has worked great since the upgrade for the unit...

Not your every day jogging unit as it is a little heavy and bulky.....
>>

>>



Archos......

WheelSucker said:

<< purplehaze said:

<< Does anyone know if this model has an audio out to run into a receiver and such????? >>



Most of the Archos models come with miniplug/left and right RCA jack cord. Even if they don't, they are pretty cheap. Hooks right up.

For those like me who have been worried about Archos Tech Support horror stories (lack of support):

I have had an JBMM20 for the last eleven months. Everything has worked fine but I recently discovered that the analog line in recording feature didn't work. Called their toll Tech Support number, was on hold for about 10 minutes, spoke to a CSR for about 5 minutes, got the RMA number. Much, much better than I expected given all the stories over the last few years. Wished they had a toll free number (email didn't seem to work), you have to pay for shipping to them (tracking/insured) and it might be somewhat of a wait to get it fixed. On the plus side is the one year warranty vs. some of the 90 day wonders. We'll see what I say after I get it back. So far so good.
>>



I was refering to the unit itself having an audio output.....My old one does but dont say much on Amazon site about this one....

Dont purchase one from this guy --------->>>>WOW!!!!!!!!!!<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0>

To sweeten this deal a little further.

Go to the Amazon.com's home page and apply for the visa card. You can use the card immediately and there is a $30 discount on the first purchase. It is applied automatically. There is no code to mess with.

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping (5-9 business days)
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $179.88
Shipping & Handling: $6.76
Promotional Certificates: - $36.76
------
Total for this Order: $149.88

MIR: -$50
------------------------------------------
$99.88

dcxx20 said:

<< the price grabber price can't be right. Amazon had this onsale for $129 AR a few times. When people start to buy, Amazon will up the price to $149 AR. >>



err ... I looked on PriceGrabber.com, and the only store selling the Archos 500577v2 (the model on Amazon) is eCost ... so its not exactly a great example on prices... (and I didnt know that pricegrabber included store Rebates in its pricing ...

NexTag has MacMall / PCMall as its two vendors (both OOS) at $242.99

Shopper.com doesn't even have a listing ...

However, with other Archos 20gb units being over $200, I guess $129 AR isn't bad ...

@shley

purplehaze said:

<< Dont purchase one from this guy --------->>>>WOW!!!!!!!!!!<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif"border=0> >>



I wonder what this guy is upto? is he just trying to see how many idiots there are out there? ... I mean, WHO in their right mind would buy anything from someone with his prices (let alone his ratings)

@shley

I have an archos studio 10 and the build quality is really bad. I've taken it apart and had to re-solder many of the connections, especially the ones to the headphone and speaker-out jacks. It's not as if I was constantly connecting and disconnecting plugs from these jacks either; they just failed prematurely and spectacularly. If you're not handy with the soldering iron, you might want to spend a bit more for something else.

Amazon messed up the specs. This thing can't weight 3 pounds, specs on Cnet for other version are about 10-12 oz.
For those who have this Archos, it can be used like USB drive right? (just plug in and transfer)

edit: my bad, I found the answer, just drag and drop

YuGiOh said:

<< Amazon messed up the specs. This thing can't weight 3 pounds, specs on Cnet for other version are about 10-12 oz.
For those who have this Archos, it can be used like USB drive right? (just plug in and transfer)
tia
>>



Yes..it's just an agnostic USB drive that happens to play mp3's.

Dude, that's the shipping weight!

YuGiOh said:

<< Amazon messed up the specs. This thing can't weight 3 pounds, specs on Cnet for other version are about 10-12 oz.
For those who have this Archos, it can be used like USB drive right? (just plug in and transfer)
tia
>>



Yes - it works just like a USB hard drive. I have a 5GB player (almost 2 years) and a 15 GB recorder ( over 1 year) and have never had a problem. Treat it like the hard drive based device that it is and it works fine. If you want to go jogging, buy a flash based player.

TeamEldo said:

<< Republicans can have the Ipod, This player is for the rest of us. Ive had an Archos 20 gig recorder for two years now, it gets about 10 hours of use a week and still works great! My apologies to any republicans that like Archos. >>



this comment makes me want to vote republican. I love the ipod.

So how big is this thing, anyone can describe? Say compared to a 2.5" notebook hard drive, is it bigger or smaller?

Dimensions 112 x 81 x 29 mm (4.5 x 3.2 x 1.3)
Weight 300 g (10.7 oz)

We've owned this unit since it first came out. It has always worked just fine with absolutely no problems. Upgrading to current firmware/software is always a good idea anyway with these things as they work some bugs out of them. The Archos is a bit bulky for an MP3 player these days, but for moving data around at that price, it's a fine choice.

I always warn people reading MP3 player reviews to watch out for the iPod hit and run reviewers. In what I can only imagine to be an inferiority complex, some of these people will storm review sites with messages like, "this player sucks, get an iPod," or "this one made my cat vomit - you only want the iPod," or "you have no friends without an iPod." <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

Of course, they don't have a clue about anything but their iPod, but to not evangelize Apple is to somehow be a traitor to the cause.

I personally think the iPod is a stylish and very easy to use unit, but not everyone wants something with a six hour battery life, a high price tag, and a player that won't handily support MP3, and for those who use it, WMV.

There have been some issues with quality control from Archos with some of their earlier generation units, but as I've said, we've had no problems with ours. Now the "freedom fry" contingency can now chime in and remind people Archos is a French company, so they are evil anyway. <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif"border=0>

TeamEldo said:

<< Republicans can have the Ipod, This player is for the rest of us. Ive had an Archos 20 gig recorder for two years now, it gets about 10 hours of use a week and still works great! My apologies to any republicans that like Archos. >>



I'm not sure exactly why you bring politics into this deal. I'm Republican and was considering buying this. But, maybe I'll buy an iPod now instead and claim that you stole it from us. Dang Microsoft, "rest of us", and Archos!!!! Can't you build your own technology?!!

<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif"border=0>

Lessthanzero said:

<< TeamEldo said:

<< Republicans can have the Ipod, This player is for the rest of us. Ive had an Archos 20 gig recorder for two years now, it gets about 10 hours of use a week and still works great! My apologies to any republicans that like Archos. >>



this comment makes me want to vote republican. I love the ipod.
>>

no wonder it's election year

Ipods for Artbutts,
Republicans do not like art;
only farts and darts and money carts.
And those precious charts. Charts!

Be smart, have a heart.
Don't be such a worry wart.

Klingsor said:

<< Ipods for Artbutts,
Republicans do not like art;
only farts and darts and money carts.
And those precious charts. Charts!

Be smart, have a heart.
Don't be such a worry wart.
>>



Uhhmmm.............














Okay!

YuGiOh said:

<< Amazon messed up the specs. This thing can't weight 3 pounds, specs on Cnet for other version are about 10-12 oz.

10-12 oz is the net weight of the player itself. 3lb is the gross weight of the who package. It should include a charger. The change is probably heavier than the player. So 3 lb is a reasonable weight.

YuGiOh said:

<< Amazon messed up the specs. This thing can't weight 3 pounds, specs on Cnet for other version are about 10-12 oz.

10-12 oz is the net weight of the player itself. 3lb is the gross weight of the whole package. It should include a charger. The charger is probably heavier than the player. So 3 lb is a reasonable shipping weight

toothlessbaby said:

<< To sweeten this deal a little further.

Go to the Amazon.com's home page and apply for the visa card. You can use the card immediately and there is a $30 discount on the first purchase. It is applied automatically. There is no code to mess with.

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping (5-9 business days)
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $179.88
Shipping & Handling: $6.76
Promotional Certificates: - $36.76
------
Total for this Order: $149.88

MIR: -$50
------------------------------------------
$99.88
>>



Could I apply for the card, use the 30 dollar gift certificate, immediately pay off the credit card and then cancel? I don't like dealing w/ credit cards.

ordred this... Thanks OP

does any1 has a suggestion for a carrying arm belt/ case for this, cant seem to come up on google...

incendiary said:

<<
Could I apply for the card, use the 30 dollar gift certificate, immediately pay off the credit card and then cancel? I don't like dealing w/ credit cards.
>>



You can do that if you want to, no one can stop you from cancelling the card. Also read the TOC for the gift card and the CC before applying.

Have a question for who already has this unit.
Is the adapter for charging the battery 110 V/60 Hz only or universal (for 110 and 220V)?

ibm650 said:

<< Good find, read the reviews, they are really scary. >>



People who have problems tend to be the loudest.

I first had the Archos Gmini 120, didn't like it so it got returned.

Now have a V2 Recorder with RockBox installed. It performs flawlessly. The newest version of Rockbox even plays movies. The screen isn't really suited for this, but it does work nonetheless.

I ordered my second yesterday. Can't pass it up at this price.

Also, the AC adaptor is:
120V AC 60hz input
6V DC (700ma) output
Tip positive barrel negative

I believe the V2 Recorder also charges when connected by the USB cable.

This seems like a good price for a player, especially (in my case) when you just use it as a stationary MP3 player. I wish it did play WMA but I can live with it....

For $129 for 20GB, seems like a great deal....

Skipping 934 Messages...
I mailed in my rebate materials on May 7th and my check arrived June 30th.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014