• filter:
  • 1 2 345102
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Viewer said: After waiting on hold for too long ...
got the promotion, no questions asked. I simply said I wanted to take advantage of "the promotion."

Same here.

rated:
No problem getting the promotion. The only question I was asked was "Is the radio in your house or your car?"

rated:
rushhound said: Wow it only took 7 post for this crap to start up. If you want Sirrus buy it. Since I have XM I don't really give a daaaaamn about "crappy playlists you hear , takeing Sten off of the air, and filling up your radio time with crappy ads." None of this applies to XM. Clear channel owns a small percentage of XM. I have had XM for 2 years and love it. Could care less about any axe you have to grind with Clear Channel.

Then don't read my post or respond to it...or maybe you do care about my axe!

I assume you meant Stern...isn't that a paradox? Taking Stern off the air while creating crappy playlists at the same time? By taking Stern off the air, doesn't that automatically make the playlists at least a little less crappy? lol

Depends if you think censoring people is crappy.

don'tcha just love the trolls who come out of the woodwork and spout misinformation?

Tunaktun, if you can point to any current financial records that show any significant stake in XM by clearchannel, please do so. if not, take your tripe elsewhere.

Clearchannel *used* to be a relatively *small* stake (my recollection is it was in the 5-7% range) in XM. they divested themselves of what little they had last fall. they had *no* board members and *no* controlling stake and *no* influence of any significance. GM was--and is--the largest individual shareholder.

*sigh*

pick which service you like based on what you think of the service. their channel lineups, their equipment, their prices. don't listen to uninformed trolls spouting something they read on a conspiracy page.

both services are great products. both bring fresh blood and a reemergence of *music* as the primary focus of their offerings. neither has commercials played on their music channels. and it behooves us all that both services survive and remain strong, because competition is what drives innovation and customer service.

*smacks the Tunaktun's of the world upside the head*

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/press_release_1999_06_08.html

Reading is hard? Now go punch yourself in the face twice, for getting interweb-physical with a girl over a radio station and an opinion.

I can't believe all the vitriolic speech from you guys. Seriously did XM save your kitten from a burning building?

rated:
Funny how I get labeled a troll for stating a reason not to buy. Does that mean I can label that weirdo with cow avatar a fanboy? Or Fanbovine?

rated:
Massimo said: I am current subscriber with XM and I have a Delphi SkyFi. I just called in and said I saw the promotion on their website and they changed my subscription to it without so much as a whisper of eligibility requirements. And I have been a paying customer for about 6 months now. Good luck all!

Ditto here (I said EXACTLY the same thing to the CSR on the phone), only diff is that I have been a subscriber for about a year. Thanks OP

r2

rated:
Every time I try, they want to check my eligibility requirements. Grr....

rated:
just got the deal

rated:
Tunaktun said: Funny how I get labeled a troll for stating a reason not to buy. Does that mean I can label that weirdo with cow avatar a fanboy? Or Fanbovine?

call me whatever you want. doesn't bother me. thing is, i think sirius is great, too. so, to be accurate, call me a fanboi or fanbovine for "satellite" radio, not XM or sirius.

Tunaktun said: http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/press_release_1999_06_08.html

Reading is hard? Now go punch yourself in the face twice, for getting interweb-physical with a girl over a radio station and an opinion.

i guess reading *is* hard. it says they were an investor in *1999*. that's 5 years ago, for those who are counting. and, like i said, their investment no longer exists. they divested last fall.

can't find the specific link on the site, just a quote from the article on www.insideradio.com (hate people without search engines on their site). but here's an article from december 03 on insiderradio.com.

"XM's last radio simulcast is off the satellite -- KIIS-FM.

The Rick Dees morning show remains the cornerstone of that particular satellite channel, which retains the "Kiss" branding. But XM's Chance Patterson tells Inside Radio it will henceforth be produced in-house with XM's own talent. He says there was no static between XM and KIIS-FM owner Clear Channel: "This is nothing more than a natural progression." It's a "creative decision" of XM, and he says XM would rather use its "own programming approach." One big item, we'll bet: shorter stop-sets for satellite radio subscribers. (Remember that XM runs some commercials in its music programming. Sirius doesn't.) XM had to program features or filler-songs during particularly long blocks of commercials from the L.A.-based KIIS-FM. Clear Channel owns 2% of XM, though its intial stake has shrunk as other investors have increased their holdings. Several Clear Channel/Premier talkhosts like Glenn Beck and Phil Hendrie still air on various XM channels. The initial concept was to make stations like KIIS-FM, country WSIX, Nashville and hot AC KHMX, Houston into "superstations" by simulcasting them on XM. WSIX and KHMX were replaced last December in a lineup shuffle, and now KISS-FM is off."

Note teh line in there where it says they own 2%. this is after they shorted the stock in the fall. Hard to have a lot of influence on the programming of a company with only 2% of the stock.

but hey, if that's enough to make you hate them, I can't stop you. I just hate seeing people scream that the sky is falling when they get hit with an acorn on the head.

in the end, i think people should pick the service that gives them the equipment and the stations that they want. sirius is for some, xm is for others. but neither of them is evil and neither of them is gold, at least not compared to each other.

rated:
I personally think sirius had better programming due to the NFL package being the main reason. But who can justify 12.95 a month for radio. XM being 60.00 for a whole year sounds reasonable. And they do have more channels with talk and sports, minus the NFL games. I know they have costs of putting the stuff out there for us, but AM/FM radio is still free and for 140.00 a year on sirius just seems like a lot to me.

rated:
Way to go FatWallet! I called and said I saw it this morning but I couldn't call in while I was at work and that the offer was gone. The CSR went to check to see if I was eligible (I bought a SkyFi unit). She came back and said that offer was to get former users who let cancelled their service back on XM and she couldn't offer it to me. I offered to cancel my service, and she said "I was hoping you'd say that!" She said she was told that she could only offer it if someone tried to cancel their service and gave me the deal. Took about 5 minutes. I was pleasant the whole way and so was she. Good Stuff, Thanks OP!

rated:
Get XM even if you aren't eligible for the deal. I have had mine for 9 months & haven't listened to commercial, static filled FM once since. If you love music it is a steal at $10/month.

rated:
hahaha

cooleyo said: Way to go FatWallet! I called and said I saw it this morning but I couldn't call in while I was at work and that the offer was gone. The CSR went to check to see if I was eligible (I bought a SkyFi unit). She came back and said that offer was to get former users who let cancelled their service back on XM and she couldn't offer it to me. I offered to cancel my service, and she said "I was hoping you'd say that!" She said she was told that she could only offer it if someone tried to cancel their service and gave me the deal. Took about 5 minutes. I was pleasant the whole way and so was she. Good Stuff, Thanks OP!

rated:
I love my XM and got this great deal for my new $50 Roady no problem. Thanks guys!

rated:
I called them (I have a SkyFi - not through GM). Rep said it was a no-go - the website had been updated and the reps had been told not to give it without the proper qualification. I asked when I was up through (I pay by credit card each month) so I could cancel. Rep gave me an answer and I said I would call back then to cancel. I hung up semi-dejected.

Two minutes later, my phone rang. The rep said she could give it to me. What service!

Thanks OP.

rated:
doublejbass said: I love my XM and got this great deal for my new $50 Roady no problem. Thanks guys!

I called, asked for the deal, they said yes and started to sign me up for the package. While doing that I realized that in order to do the switch they were canceling my original package subscription (the $49 Roady deal) and signing me up for the $60/year plan. They were prorating and giving me credit for whatever was left and paid for from the Roady deal. I asked if they can let my original plan go for 6 months and then switch me to the $60 plan and they said that when one requests the $60 plan they have to switch to it at the time of the request.
Anyway, canceling the roady plan before the 6 months period (even if the XM service is kept) would mean a $60 charge to my CC. The roady deal shows up in their computers as a sponsor's plan (i.e. metrononline). And when I look at my billing history it shows no payments. Probably we pay metrononline and they (the sponsor) pay XM. Once the Roady plan gets canceled, probably metrononline gets no more money and we pay XM directly. Hence, metrononline will charge that $60 penalty.

Note that the XM rep was nice and tried to help, talked to her manager, and never had a problem with the fact that I already had the Roady deal. They looked at the roady deal as a sponsor deal and recommended to check with the sponsor about the roady deal rules. I had no more time today to call metrononline or XM (again). I was told that this $60/year deal ends August 31st. Please post your experience with these plans.

rated:
I just signed up. No problems getting the deal, hardly any wait time either. I have a Roady 2, new account, self installed; I just asked sweetly for the $60/year deal I had "seen" on their website. Also, don't know if this matters, but the webiste lists one number to call, the paperwork in the unit's box lists another number, and the number listed at the top of this thread is different from the other two and I didn't see it published anywhere. That's the one I called.

Thanks for the tip!

rated:
Thanks OP. I have had XM for a while but have not listened in about a year. I have just been wasting money. I called and asked about the promotion and she asked if I had an Acura or GM vehicle. I actually have a Suburban with a Delphi unit. She changed me over to the $60 plan without hesitation.

rated:
man, i just called, they said it was not available for delphi customers but i can get 1 month free. i asked when my paid sub was running out so i can cancel. she was going to give me a number i can call to cancel but i said can i cancel right now? she said sure and cancelled my account. Fudge!

rated:
Thank you OP. Worked like a charm.

rated:
just tried petrson put me on hold and came back to say the promo was only for persons who had a free three month promo and did not renew the service. no go for me

rated:
You'd think they'd give it away for the first year just to get subscriber base for future years. No real competition so they can soak the existing customers at that time.

rated:
I called this morning about the promotion, got on hold for awhile, than asked for some numbers on my delphi unit, and that was it,....got my $60 promotion deal instead of paying now every month $9.99,....live is good!

rated:
thanks op, got this deal no problem, was on the phone for 4min

rated:
What a great deal 5 mins tops on the phone

rated:
shot down...was told if this was only for customers who let their service lapse for a couple months...

rated:
Took 5min with a very nice CSR to complete the deal. Why would XM do this as I have
auto-billing on my CC for the $9.99!! Great deal OP!! If you got shot down on this deal
call again. A month ago I emailed XM that if they signed Stern I'd cancel...Stern puts down
all the good things in life and is bad for our minds...fithly!!

rated:
Shot down. Was told it was for owners of vehicles that let their acct lapse.
Cancelled service in the mean time as I was having a problem with my radio.
Might pick up the Roady $50 deal in the mean time.

Slightly annoyed.

EDIT. Should I have lied and said I had a car w/ factory xm? Would they have known?

rated:
brotherhpj said: ... A month ago I emailed XM that if they signed Stern I'd cancel...Stern puts down all the good things in life and is bad for our minds...fithly!!

Yep, he regularly puts down Pres. Bush, the Catholic Church, KKK, Anti-Semetics, Homo-Phobia etc, all the truly good things that make America great and the envy of the world.

I will take the honesty of Mr Stern over the double-talking, money-grabbing politicians anyday. As for our minds being made 'bad', I like to think Im a little more complex than allowing a radio show to make me 'filthy'...

rated:
brotherhpj said: A month ago I emailed XM that if they signed Stern I'd cancel...Stern puts down all the good things in life and is bad for our minds...fithly!!
People who don't appreciate our freedom of expression are bad for our minds. If you don't like him, then don't listen to him.

rated:
I've been thinking about getting XM for my Alpine unit that says it's XM Ready (if I remember right).

Can anyone tell me - is this like the stupid music choice channels that have a bleep in the songs just to screw up the play for those who might want to try and record it (and p*ss off those who actually are just listening to it)?

What I really want it for is to make sure to get the MSU Spartans when I'm up north (Michigan) and to get the Detroit Redwings (Yeah Baby!) . Anyone got any experience with XM in Michigan and getting these two sports teams in?

Thanks!

MSUtiny

rated:
why in g-d's name would you want to hear the spartans coke addict for a qrtr back throw an interception, when you can listen to the WOLVERINES??

rated:
geldrop said: why in g-d's name would you want to hear the spartans coke addict for a qrtr back throw an interception, when you can listen to the WOLVERINES??

I believe that you are referring to Smoker, and if you have not heard, he has already finished his career at MSU. I give him credit for turning his life and his career around. He led the Big 10 in passing and total offense last season. Now he is on the Rams roster. I am sure that you are doing much better than him.

Kent

rated:
Just got the deal for a factory installed system. The CSR did put me on hold to check if I was eligible.

rated:
Is there a one-time billing charge of $60 or will they bill $5 per month?
I checked my account online but see nothing indicating any changes made yet.
Anyone else?

rated:
kentman said: geldrop said: why in g-d's name would you want to hear the spartans coke addict for a qrtr back throw an interception, when you can listen to the WOLVERINES??

I believe that you are referring to Smoker, and if you have not heard, he has already finished his career at MSU. I give him credit for turning his life and his career around. He led the Big 10 in passing and total offense last season. Now he is on the Rams roster. I am sure that you are doing much better than him.

Kent

Yes, Jeff Smoker is gone. I was a senior when he left the team for his problem. From friends I know who hung out with him it was more of a "green herb" problem. But the correct thing is that he did lead the Big 10 in passing and offense.

I wouldn't want to listen to the Wolverines at all unless they were playing the Spartans. What's the point of listening to the Wolverine players whom are paid to play as evident through the "Fab 5 Fiasco"? I mean, people who should be in the pro's playing for a College isn't exactly a sport is it? The skill levels are very different between a College and a Professional team. If the Spartan's shelled out the same cash that the Wolverines did I'm absolutley positive that they would be ranked in the top ten in the nation as well.

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with XM and Michigan (the state of)?

MSUtiny

rated:
xtrabad said: Is there a one-time billing charge of $60 or will they bill $5 per month?
I checked my account online but see nothing indicating any changes made yet.
Anyone else?

I was told that it was going to be a one time charge of $60. They don't bill anything monthly, eventhough they tell you that it's 9.99/month regularly...they actually bill quarterly to save time/administration...or at least that's my understanding.

rated:
I was billed $60 plus tax, no activation fee.

Got my Roady2 in the mail - called - cried like a little baby about the deal I saw on the internet last week - and after I had given up all hope of streching the deal (they offered to waive activation) I thanked the Rep for her time and understanding and stated I was looking forward to using the unit and was thankful she at least waived the activation fee - she then said she was going to go ahead and honor the website deal b/c they had had such problems with it last week. I was stunned (and happy to keep the extra $60 in my wallet).

Now off to eBay to sell the 3 remaining Roady2's I purchased.

rated:
Tunaktun:
Thank you for your post about Clear Channel. I'm definatly leaning towards Sirrus now.

rated:
Just an update, I called yesterday. The rep that answered could not help me so I was transferred to their retention department. Being extra polite I asked for the deal. Unfortunately, since I have had service for over a year, her and her manager shot me down as I do not qualify for the particular promotion mentioned in this thread...

However, the retention rep gave me 3 months of free service. Not bad for a 5 minute phone call with a pleasant person!

rated:
TrixSlice said: Tunaktun:
Thank you for your post about Clear Channel. I'm definatly leaning towards Sirrus now.

Clear Channel was originally a major backer of XM, but as of now they have almost totally pulled out. Their investment is down to about 2-3%. Hell CC has even filed suits with the FCC agains XM for their new Traffic and Weather stations. Would you sue someone you were a major backer of?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2 345102
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014