• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I Just saw a thread about US/State employee's getting a discount and didn't realize how many people don't know they have a discount available to them.

Verizon Wireless has discounts available to so many company's employees you would not believe it. I no longer work there and so do not have access to the current lists. But basically how it works is any company that has a business contract with Verizon will also have some % off for that company's employees. That discount ranges from 1-25%off of service and accessories depending on the size of the contract. Many many companies have 15-20%. I remember the day i had training on the discounts I did a search for every job I had worked and many of the companies my friends worked for and 90% of them had some sort of discount.

My personal recommendation would be to call and try to add the "employee discount" for wherever you work. Just act like you know it exists and they will most likely find it.

I would also try calling back and getting another rep if the first can't find it. (this mostly has to do with the employee discount recently being added to customer services responsibilities ... it used to be business services that would do it... so not all csr reps are trained on it) When I quit there and got a new job recently it took me 3 reps to get one that knew how to deal with the employee discounts and find my current employer in the lists.

Many of the companies that you would get Verizon's discount don't really know that their employee's get the discount...So don't assume yours doesn't because you haven't heard anything.

Sorry this post kinda rambles. Bottom line is your company probably has some kind of Verizon Wireless discount and you can just add it on to your existing plan with no penalties whatsoever. May as well give them a call.

Edit*

While I personally think Verizon is the best carrier out there right now, this thread isn't meant to be "why Verizon is better or worse than other carriers". It's just a way for some people to save some cash if they have already decided Verizon is for them.

Edit*

The post following mine is much better at keeping the discounts current so I removed my outdated list.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
sherwin williams 15% used to be 17%

oOoBoNgOoO (Sep. 23, 2007 @ 9:39a) |

draws (Sep. 23, 2007 @ 10:00a) |

National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) = 8%

Shep (Sep. 23, 2007 @ 10:07a) |

Register Your Line Form

Form necessary to register line.

https://b2b.verizonwireless.com/tbmb/rylEnterEmailAddress.do - Enter your work email and it will tell you if discount: then just follow directions. will not actually have to show "Proof" if you respond to the email they send to your work.

State of Indiana - 15%
Morgan Stanley - 20%
Raymond James Financial - 15%
University of Minnesota - 17%
School Districts Utah 15%
Rochester Institute of Technology - 10%
SallieMae - 10%
State of New Jersey Employees - 15%
State of New Jersey Municipal Employees - 20%
State of Pennsylvania - 18%
University of Wisconsin - 19%
General Electric - 25% (Updated as of 12/13)
SAIC - 17%
Andersen windows 15%
Emco 15%
Aspen Research 15%
Renewal windows 15%
Kyocera Wireless 13%
Quest Software 15%
Airgas 13%
Milgard 19%
Quest Diagnostics 17%
University of Southern California 13%
BAE Systems 17%
Frontier Communication Solutions 13%
Cornell University 19%
University of Maryland 17%
Syracuse University 15%
University of Central Florida 15%

Abbott Labs: 19%
Accenture: 18%
Acorn Engineering: 6%
ADP: 17%
Alstom 15%
Apollo Group 13%
Bank of NY: 17%
Best Buy: 20%
Boeing: 20%
BofA: 20%
CA State Sniversities: 17%
Caterpillar: 20%
CBS Radio: 20%
Circuit City: 20%
Cisco Systems: 17%
Citigroup: 20%
Cleveland Clinic: 15%
Comcast: 15%
CSC: 19%
Dell; 19%
Delphi Automotive: 19%
Dept. of Commerce: 15%
Deutsche Bank: 17%
Disney: 20%
Dow Chemical: 15%
Dow Jones & Company: 19%
Duke University: 15%
eBay: 10%
Eclipse Inc.: 8%
EMC: 17%
Emory University: 20%
ExxonMobil: 19%
FDS: 17%
Fidelity Investments: 18%
Gap Inc: 25%
General Dynamics: 19%
Glaxosmithkline(GSK): 18%
Goodyear: 20%
GE: 20%
GMAC Mortgage: 21%
Goldman Sachs: 17%
Greatbatch and subsidiarires: 10%
HP: 25%
HCA 20%
Halliburton: 15%
Hitachi: 15%
Home Depot: 25%
IBM: 21%
Kaiser Permanente: 18%
Kodak: 25%
KPMG 19%
Liberty Mutual: 15%
Lockheed: 20%
McDonalds: 19%
Merck EEs: 17%
Merrill Lynch: 21%
MetLife: 15%
Microsoft: 19%
Morgan Stanley: 20%
National Information Solutions Cooperative: 8%
National Semiconductor: 17%
New Mexico State University 18%
New York Times: 15%
North Carolina State U 19%
Northrop Grumman: 19%
Oracle: 17%
Penn State University: 19%
Pfizer: 21%
PG&E: 17%
Purdue University: 15%
Qualcomm: 19%
Raytheon: 20%
Rite Aid: 15%
Rochester Inst of Tech: 10%
Shell Oil: 19%
Siemens: 17%
Starbucks: 18%
State of Wis: 8%
Stony Brook U. Hospital: 19%
Sunoco Inc.: 15%
Temple University: 15%
Teradyne: 17%
Thiel College 18%
Time Warner: 22%
Triad Guaranty: 8% (12% on data plans)
Tribune Company: 8% (up to 17%?)
Tyco: 17%
University of California, Berkeley: 15%
University of California, San Francisco: 17%
University of Florida: 15%
University of Minnesota: 17%
University of PA: 15%
University of Wisconsin: 19%
UPS: 22%
U.S. Dept. of Labor: 15%
US Airways: 19%
USPS: 20%
Warner Bros.: 22%
Vanguard Group: 15%
Viacom: 20%
Wachovia: 20%
Walgreens: 15%
WebMD/Emdeon: 15%
Wegmans: 13%
Xilinx: 17%
Sumtotalsystems Inc 6%
Intel: 17%
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

both companies i've worked for had a %15 discount off the main package, meaning, if you have a family plan $60/month...you'll get %15 off the $40 main plan, not the $20 2nd line.

GE has a 20% discount

2X post...

Like any discount there is fine print. Though it's not extremely restrictive in this case. You are correct however Employee discounts will only be applied to lines that are 39.99 or more.

Edit* This is not always the case. It seems some employee discounts work with lower plans as well.

So if you have a family share plan the additional lines will not get the discount.
Though currently additional lines are $10 instead of $20. If you are not on current pricing you would almost surely benefit by switching to current pricing.

20% for Circuit City

20% for lockheed employees and phones are like half price

Abbott Labs is 19%

I am currently under contract with Verizon. But, I plan on getting out of it based on their new price changes for GSM, $0.40 administration fee, and their eliminating free calls on holidays. All of these changes were indicated on the back of the statement over the past few months, but few people notice them. I also read somewhere that they will eliminate free weekends. But, I have not been able to confirm this.

I called T-Mobile, and they also have % discounts... i.e.free activation and a percentage off your monthly bill. T-Mobile seems to be the only carrier with 1 year contracts on free phones.

BTW, all the cell carriers probably have some discount for major companies.

Sprint has a fairly large list of employee discounts as well. Pay the $5 extra and roam on VZW's networks without actually having to pay VZW's prices.

JPMorganChase 22%

Citigroup, 21% or 20%

There's already a post detailing this in the archive. Search for it.

Sprint not only offers the ability to roam, it is included for free on many of the new plans. Also the sprint discount is applied to the entire plan price (not only the main line but all plans or phones on the account). I just got the discount applied to my account as did a couple of my family and friends. I am saving about $25 a month (somehow I spend that and more through this site every month. ) The number I called to find and apply my discount is:

Sprint Bussiness Services
1-888-788-1518

I hope this helps those of you that have sprint and are working for a corporation.

Courtjester2001 said: Like any discount there is fine print. Though it's not extremely restrictive in this case. You are correct however
Employee discounts will only be applied to lines that are 39.99 or more. So if you have a family share plan the additional lines will not get the discount.
Though currently additional lines are $10 instead of $20. If you are not on current pricing you would almost surely benefit by switching to current pricing.
Well, not really, because only in the last month, Verizon got greedy and jacked up its minimum FamilyShare plan to an all-time high at $69 per month, two lines. The $10 increase of course is not offset by the discount.

NotAClue said: Abbott Labs is 19%

I am currently under contract with Verizon. But, I plan on getting out of it based on their new price changes for GSM, $0.40 administration fee, and their eliminating free calls on holidays. All of these changes were indicated on the back of the statement over the past few months, but few people notice them. I also read somewhere that they will eliminate free weekends. But, I have not been able to confirm this.

So is verizon moving to the GSM network?

NotAClue said: . But, I plan on getting out of it based on their new price changes for GSM, $0.40 administration fee, and their eliminating free calls on holidays. All of these changes were indicated on the back of the statement over the past few months, but few people notice them. I also read somewhere that they will eliminate free weekends. But, I have not been able to confirm this.

whoa. I just signed up for the family share plan about a month ago.

will I be able to back out of the contract? I don't remember any mention of eliminating free weekends. That's getting frickin greedy.

Accenture 18%

Nice.

Microsoft 19%

link626 said: NotAClue said: . But, I plan on getting out of it based on their new price changes for GSM, $0.40 administration fee, and their eliminating free calls on holidays. All of these changes were indicated on the back of the statement over the past few months, but few people notice them. I also read somewhere that they will eliminate free weekends. But, I have not been able to confirm this.

will I be able to back out of the contract? I don't remember any mention of eliminating free weekends. That's getting frickin greedy.

Free holidays were already eliminated. Seriously though, you're worried about 6 days out of the year? Most people didn't even know it existed in the first place. It was also something u will not find in your contract anywhere. No one was ever promised free holidays. They were always just included.

As far as nights and weekend being eliminated, I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it.

Another nice thing to remember is Verizon does not have a history of changing Terms of existing contracts. So, even if they did remove nights and weekends (which they won't) if you already have nights and weekends on your current plan, unless you switch to a different plan, you will keep them even after your contract expires.

Courtjester2001 said: link626 said: NotAClue said: . But, I plan on getting out of it based on their new price changes for GSM, $0.40 administration fee, and their eliminating free calls on holidays. All of these changes were indicated on the back of the statement over the past few months, but few people notice them. I also read somewhere that they will eliminate free weekends. But, I have not been able to confirm this.

Free holidays were already eliminated. Seriously though, you're worried about 6 days out of the year? Most people didn't even know it existed in the first place. It was also something u will not find in your contract anywhere. No one was ever promised free holidays. They were always just included.

As far as nights and weekend being eliminated, I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it.

Another nice thing to remember is Verizon does not have a history of changing Terms of existing contracts. So, even if they did remove nights and weekends (which they won't) if you already have nights and weekends on your current plan, unless you switch to a different plan, you will keep them even after your contract expires.

Yea, they can't change parts of your plan that are outlined in your contract/agreement. Since free holidays was just really a bonus beyond your contract terms, it was easy for them to remove

boeing=20%

Raytheon - 8% ...big woohoo (also may be regional)

is Verizon actually verifying your employment with the company? When I called one of the local reps (posted on a flyer at work) she just took down my name and account number, no verification whatsoever that I actually worked there. Although i've heard now they are requireing that employees fax a copy of a paystub for the Raytheon discount

edit: I just noticed the online form which requires a copy of your work photoID, or recent paystub. I guess you could be sneaky (illegal?/unethical?) and copy a friend's paystub (esp. if they work at HomeDepot), photoshop the name and address, and bingo!

is Verizon actually verifying your employment with the company? When I called one of the local reps (posted on a flyer at work) she just took down my name and account number, no verification whatsoever that I actually worked there. Although i've heard now they are requireing that employees fax a copy of a paystub for the Raytheon discount

The official policy was always that you have to fax some proof in. Though there were times when this rule was overlooked (almost my whole stay w/ VZW). A good friend that still works there told me they are more strict with this policy now. So assume you will have to fax proof of employment.

Kind of makes sense since in the past all you had to do was call and say u worked for Home Depot and they would add a 25% discount to your account. Niftier for us that way? sure... but you see what I mean.

AverySLC said: eBay = 10%

if you own a business under eBay.... does that count?

TXAustin said: Sprint not only offers the ability to roam, it is included for free on many of the new plans.

How do you find out which plans...? I am going to need to get service at the end of the month, and was going to use Verizon for their coverage, but Sprint have better plans for me it looks like.

G

Vanguard Group: 15%

UPS: 22%

Well, assuming my company has a verizon discount........ will I be able to retroactively add the discount? That's the only way this would be hot.

Starbucks 17%

ADP = 17%

link626 said: Well, assuming my company has a verizon discount........ will I be able to retroactively add the discount? That's the only way this would be hot.

I'm sure you know the answer to this. But you would get it from your current billing cycle on.

IBM = 21%

I don't think there's free holidays anymore because I got charged on Labor Day >_<

CC gives 20% off plus $200 towards a phone-

I get 19% from McDonalds.

Gooe luck actually getting this applied to your account. Verizon Wireless has ducked us at every opportunity since we signed up 9 months ago. We've faxed the crap 5 times, and called a dozen or more, and keep getting shuffled from person to person and department to department.

gomoogo said: Gooe luck actually getting this applied to your account. Verizon Wireless has ducked us at every opportunity since we signed up 9 months ago. We've faxed the crap 5 times, and called a dozen or more, and keep getting shuffled from person to person and department to department.

Speak to a supervisor. If the attempts are documented they will be able to not only apply the discount but credit it retroactively. Verizon Employees and Supervisors have a LOT of empowerment as far as what they can do to help people out. It is of course up to them how much they decide to use it though.

I think I'm just going to fax my paystub without a call, in that way, they either hook my account with some employee discount or there is no such contract from my company. at least that'll save me a lot of call time.

When I was looking around I found this page. It seems simple just enter your work email address and it's supposed to work.

https://b2b.verizonwireless.com/tbmb/rylCheckEmailAddress.do

Skipping 263 Messages...
National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) = 8%

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014