• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I believe Page Plus Cellular is the cheapest prepaid service utilizing Verizon's network. Although Page Plus does not promise FAR phones, its service will work with most Verizon phones.

Initial service costs @ $5 and includes 100 minutes. I activated my old Verizon phones through a seller on eBay. I provided each phone's ESN and my area code. After the seller activated my phones, the seller emailed simple instructions for programming each phone.

Minutes last 120 days and adding any card will rollover unused minutes. Page Plus deducts $0.50 on the 25th of each month. On an annual basis you lose about 50 minutes due to monthly fees.

The first 360 days of service should cost less than $30 and includes about 216 minutes.

Initial 120 days..........$ 5.00.....100 minutes
Second 120 days......$10.00.....83
Third 120 days..........$10.00.....83
Monthly Fees..........................-50

Total.......................$25.00......216 minutes

Page Plus Cellular

Card Daily Minutes
$10 Card 83 Minutes
$25 Card 300 Minutes
$50 Card 700 Minutes
$80 Card 1400 Minutes

Text messages are $0.08 to send or receive.

No roaming charges on Verizon Wireless/Page Plus network. Off-Network rate is $0.59/minute, including long distance.

Numbers can be ported into and out of Page Plus.

Page Plus' website needs work and account information cannot be checked online. I called Customer Service at Page Plus three times with questions before posting. Each time I found the representatives helpful.

7-digit dialing works in my area code.

Cellguru.net has a comparison of prepaid providers and a description of Page Plus.

cellguru.net

*I updated the activation, porting, rates and roaming info.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Very happy with their service so far. Paying the ETF with Verizon was actually a pleasure because I know that PagePlus w... (more)

mitchgroff (Aug. 10, 2007 @ 2:53p) |

I have a question about this. We are located in upstate New York Near Poughkeepsie. Generally speaking Verizon has had... (more)

CasualObserver (Aug. 12, 2007 @ 10:03p) |

It will roam but at 59 cents a minute I believe. Check out hofo prepaid forums, pageplus has a forum of their own there... (more)

sledhed (Aug. 13, 2007 @ 10:22a) |

thanks to Len:
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/577860/10341473#m10341473
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I hated dealing with Verizon CS and swore I'd never go back to using them, but they did have great coverage. This might enable me to keep my promise and get the benefit of using their network.

This is an interesting deal, and a nice detailed post. Green for you, OP.

Thank you!

I've had them for over a year. It works great! If you want a phone for emergency or occasional use, they can't be beat.
p.s.It works great in my area. Verizon is the only dependable provider where I live.(I've tried them all) If you or any of your friends have a problem getting a signal from Verizon, forget it.

Since, Beyond Wireless stopped taking new TDMA customers and STi Mobile started charging a daily fee, I thought Page Plus might be a good alternative.

Prepaid Verizon cellular...sounds like something I've got to look into. Green for you, OP!!

Sweet! Thanks a bunch OP, looking into it right now. What exactly is involved in converting a regular Verizon phone to Page Plus tho - the eBay auctions don't really specify?

cliftonchick said: Sweet! Thanks a bunch OP, looking into it right now. What exactly is involved in converting a regular Verizon phone to Page Plus tho - the eBay auctions don't really specify?

The seller I used activated my phones using the ESNs and area code I provided. Afterwards, the seller emailed me instructions for updating my phones. I think it took about a minute to make the changes. It was nice not to wait in line or on hold to sign up. Since I activated two phones, the seller gave me consecutive numbers.

Although other sellers may be different, the procedure should be the same. Page Plus cannot activate a Verizon phone that is in use, so I waited a day after I closed my postpaid account.

I updated the activations instructions in my original post for clarity.

Topped becuase more people need to take advantage of this great deal (i.e. I don't want to see this company go under...)

Forgive me for my selfishness

New activations on eBay have dropped a couple of dollars to around $7.

Nice post OP!

Is there a list of compatible phones anywhere that will work?

Tmobile doesn't work at my folks' lakehouse, and they have Tmobile right now. Trying to decide between Cingular and Verizon for a prepaid phone to just leave down there.

Thanks!
-Ed

PagePlus has been a good deal for a long time BUT they are costing themselves a LOT of potential customers because they won't allow you to port your existing number over to them. Maybe there's some valid reason for this but the CSR's sure have no idea why they won't do it. If they'd have ported my numbers, I would have gone with them instead of T-Mo because of the better coverage of the Verizon network. Maybe one day they'll get a clue and stop losing business to the competition over this.

what is a good, cheap, dependable verizon phone that can work with this service and where can I get it. Sorry, but don't know much about this. I had a Nokia for a while through T-Mobile.

Almost any Verizon prepaid phone will work. If you don't have an old Verizon phone, check FW for sales on Verizon prepaid phones. It might be possible to use an unlocked CDMA phone from another provider.

I have PMed ryeny3 with this question but I might as well ask everyone:

Hi, I have a question about pageplus activating verizon cellphone into prepaid. I am using a verizon cellphone that I switched to another verizon cellphone a week ago however this desactivated cellphone is still showing my original phone number therefore I can't do the *228 activation. Did it happen to u? I already got the new number from the eBay seller by the way.
Thank you.

PS: the cellphone that i am trying to use for prepaid is a current model motorola on the verizon website

Page Plus nows allows porting in and out.

bigbang2nd said: I have PMed ryeny3 with this question but I might as well ask everyone:

Hi, I have a question about pageplus activating verizon cellphone into prepaid. I am using a verizon cellphone that I switched to another verizon cellphone a week ago however this desactivated cellphone is still showing my original phone number therefore I can't do the *228 activation. Did it happen to u? I already got the new number from the eBay seller by the way.
Thank you.

PS: the cellphone that i am trying to use for prepaid is a current model motorola on the verizon website

When I called to confirm porting info, I asked about activations. Page Plus told me that you need to enter *22890.

FYI, I just bought one of the $5 activations for Page Plus on eBay. After choosing "Buy it now" I paid with Paypal. Then I sent a message to the seller with my phone's ESN (it was an older Verizon phone) and my area code. The seller sent a message back with my new phone number, a "card number" and a brief message that said: "dial (star) 22800 to program your phone over the air and your all set." I tried *22800 and that didn't work (it said "call failed" or something like that). Finally I figured out that my phone was still programmed with the old Verizon number in it, so I found instructions on the internet (google and the Wayback machine are your friends!) on how to program my particular phone. I used that method to change my phone's number to the new number (I believe your phone number is called a NAM). Then I was able to dial *22800 and listened to the instructions for reprogramming it. Next I tried to make a phone call but it said there was insufficient funds. Then I figured out I had to dial #737 to activate the "card number" (also known as PIN) that the seller had given me. I entered the card number and the system said it was a valid PIN, but when I pressed 1 to activate it, the system said that sometimes you have to wait 24 hours after activation of the phone to be able to activate PINs. So I will try again tomorrow and see if it works! I hope this is helpful to somebody out there...

This is a good way to get around Verizon's B.S. (Business Services?)

I'm a happy Sprint user myself -- I get free roaming included in my plan, so I can use Verizon's network when I'm out of Sprint PCS service area or on the fringe.

This is great -- good way to get around paying Verizon.

Green for you!

Been using Page Plus for about the last 6 months - very happy with the service.

HI, mugudu

I got the same problem as you described, but I didn't find any instruction on google about how to change phone numbers on a cell phone. how did you find it out?

Any deals around for phones? I can't find any.

Does that mean that Page Plus do not charge $1/day access fee?

And what is their rate for calls to Canada and other foreign countries?

TIA

ryeny3 said: I believe Page Plus Cellular is the cheapest prepaid service utilizing Verizon's network. Although Page Plus does not promise FAR phones, its service will work with most Verizon phones.

My initial service cost less than $10 and included 100 minutes. I activated my old Verizon phones through a seller on eBay. I provided each phone's ESN and my area code. After the seller activated my phones, the seller emailed simple instructions for programming each phone.

Minutes last 120 days and adding any card will rollover unused minutes. Page Plus deducts $0.50 on the 25th of each month. This charge reduces minutes based on a 0.14 per minute rate. On an annual basis you lose about 43 minutes due to monthly fees.

The first 360 days of service should cost less than $30 and includes about 199 minutes.

Initial 120 days..........$ 7.00.....100 minutes
Second 120 days......$10.00.....71
Third 120 days..........$10.00.....71
Monthly Fees..........................-43

Total.......................$27.00......199 minutes

Page Plus Cellular

Card Daily Minutes
$10 Card 71 Minutes
$20 Card 150 Minutes
$50 Card 400 Minutes
$80 Card 800 Minutes

Text messages are $0.08 to send or receive.

No roaming charges on Verizon's network. Roaming off Verizon's network costs $1.99 per minute.

Numbers can be ported into and out of Page Plus.

Page Plus' website needs work and account information cannot be checked online. I called Customer Service at Page Plus three times with questions before posting. Each time I found the representatives helpful.

7-digit dialing works in my area code.

Cellguru.net has a comparison of prepaid providers and a description of Page Plus.

cellguru.net

*I updated the activation and porting info.

No daily access fee. There is a 50-cent monthly fee.

GlassVial said: Any deals around for phones? I can't find any.

Same here. Keen to hear about any deals, the whole idea sounds pretty good to me.

Nostrada said: GlassVial said: Any deals around for phones? I can't find any.

Same here. Keen to hear about any deals, the whole idea sounds pretty good to me.

Verizon is the only carrier for prepaid around my home area, so this sounds great to me. Phone deals would be a plus! Can a person get a Verizon InPulse prepaid phone then use it with this? Not sure about the cost though, even at BB. I have CallWave prepaid now, $8 a month, free refurb nokia phone, 17 cents a minute but minutes do not expire... this sounds cheaper...

sledhed said: Can a person get a Verizon InPulse prepaid phone then use it with this?

Yes, as long as it's not activated when you purchase it. Otherwise, you have to wait until the ESN is released, which may take a long time. Any non-active Verizon phone can be used for PagePlus.

For unknown reasons, my phone wouldn't activate "on air" with the *228 or *22890. So I had to call Page Plus Customer Service 1_800_ 550 2436. They couldn't do anything for me, so they gave me a non toll free # of their service person - who had to walk me through manually programming the phone. He really knows his phones and took care the problem right away. The whole process isn't as bad as it sounds versus dealing with the waiting and sales pitches at Cingular, T Mobile or Verizon! Really the whole "problem" only took like 5 minutes to resolve.

FYI, Page Plus has been around for about 17 years, they started out doing beepers and transitioned into prepaid wireless. Yeah, their website doesn't have it but really for the value and service I've received from the company so far - it's been well worth the trade off. I like that it's simple and easy. I had a Nextel phone and disconnected three years ago. I had a $1.32 credit on my account - Even though I've called three times - including speaking with a supervisor - to get the money issued on a check or just have them zero it out, we've still been receiving paper statements in the mail for three years!

I've called Page Plus' customer services several times and have alway received pleasant and responsive people. So far so good, the phone is so much clearer than my Cingular - I can't wait to disconnect them!!!!

Bestbuy.com has a flip phone for $30, I bought the Nokia 2128i for $40 AR, at Rite Aid this week (note - I don't think
this is much of a deal for this phone, but I wanted a Nokia, and I wanted it quickly).

There's an eBay seller out there right now w $5 (no shipping fee) activations. I sent him the ESN and desired area code w my payment and s/he replied very quickly w the phone number. Over the air programming worked fine, after I waited several hours.

Couple of questions:

Best place to buy airtime?

Are there roaming charges? If I use outside of my 'home' area - does it cost more than usual? [According to Page Plus web site 'no charge for roaming' can anyone confirm?]

This is a smokin' deal for use of the Verizon network...

Regards,

SRL

On its website Page Plus lists the cities/counties and their surrounding areas that "are included in the Verizon Wireless/Page Plus network. In these areas you will be charged the local calling rate when using a TRI-mode handset. When outside these areas, calls will be charged the OFF-Network rate of $0.99/minute, including long distance..."

Page Plus Roaming

Using Page Plus for 2mo on a new Nokia 6015i (they can activate used Verizon phones).Took 3 trys to activate phone *288 etc.We have both Cingular & Verizon Prepay phones choosing best signal.You can program your phone to home only.Most find Nokia's have the best reception.My Motorola had stuby antenna(Replaced),phones with retractable antenna (when extended) gives 1 More bar.

I think this is a great deal. I had an old Motorola Startac sitting around, paid an eBay seller 3.00 for activation and 100 minutes, 30 minutes later i'm up and running on the Verizon network. You can't beat that deal with a stick since where I live Verizon has by far, the best network around. We currently have 2 phones (one on contract) with Verizon and if this is as good as it seems it's goodbye Verizon, hello Page Plus

hellocallingcards.com has $10 refill cards for $9.75. Anyone find a cheaper place? Seems funny to be talking about a 2.5%
discount on FW!

--SRL

sledhed said: Nostrada said: GlassVial said: Any deals around for phones? I can't find any.

Verizon is the only carrier for prepaid around my home area, so this sounds great to me. Phone deals would be a plus! Can a person get a Verizon InPulse prepaid phone then use it with this? Not sure about the cost though, even at BB. I have CallWave prepaid now, $8 a month, free refurb nokia phone, 17 cents a minute but minutes do not expire... this sounds cheaper...

BEWARE - check for local number availability before buying an activation. They have NONE in my state, even though Verizon is strong here. If you have a number to port, and if the company you are with now allows you to port it out, then it should work anywhere on the verizon network, according to what I was told... for me it would end up being long distance... CallWave won't allow a port-out of my number (which is illegal and I will report them to the fcc), so I cannot get a local number with page plus.

srl99 said: hellocallingcards.com has $10 refill cards for $9.75. Anyone find a cheaper place? Seems funny to be talking about a 2.5%
discount on FW!

--SRL
myminutes.com offers a 4% discount after you register for free on their website. Folks on howardforums.com have bought PP minutes from them with no problems, but I have no personal experience. PP is starting to look like a good replacement for my soon-to-be-gone free2go.

Link

I have used myminutes.com for 3 refills. Maximum of one order per 24 hours.

Anyone know of any current deals on Verizon prepaid phones? Haven't seen much lately. Kinda sucks having to buy yet another phone, so if I can't find something decent for less than $50 I might end up with T-Mo instead. It's not much more to get a $100 card and then have service for $10/year thereafter.

For Verizon Inpulse phones, check WalMart (including WalMart.com), Rite Aid, and Longs Drugs. Just don't activate the phone with Verizon.

There's a current Rite Aid deal for a $20 rebate on a Nokia Vzn phone. [I have this phone, and it's pretty good, but basic. ?Nok 6130?] About $50 after rebate (rebate submission on the web).

--SRL

Skipping 94 Messages...
CasualObserver said: I have a question about this. We are located in upstate New York Near Poughkeepsie. Generally speaking Verizon has had pretty good service here, Tmobile stinks, Cingular is decent not great.

Does PagePlus use only the basic Verizon service or do they roam onto the same networks that Verizon does? Basically I am asking would the service be the same if I had a Verizon phone on a monthly account versus a PagePlus phone? Or would the Verizon phone be more robust at romaing while the PagePlus would not roam onto other networks that Verizon has agreements in place with? It's hilly where we are and it seems many phone providers extensively utilize roaming agreements here.

Thanks!

It will roam but at 59 cents a minute I believe. Check out hofo prepaid forums, pageplus has a forum of their own there and at least 2 pageplus employees seem to regularly post answers there, one is pageplusguy. link: hofo pageplus

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014