• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have been waiting for this code for a few months now and happy to get this code in the mail for free enrollment/re-enrollment fee - $17 savings.

Code: 12637
Expires: Aug 15, 2006

YMMV as this code is applicable only in Northern California, Nevada & Utah territory.

You need to pay $49/year for the membership.

I have to get AAA because my car is older and I just dropped my comprehensive coverage. Without
comprehensive coverage and not being a Costco Executive member, AMEX insurance thru Costco does
not offer roadside assistance.

Update:
(Sep 28, 2006) The code still works
LftL (Link for the Lazy)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Any new codes for AAA NY?

gogirl (Jan. 22, 2008 @ 6:08a) |

If you are in Minnesota or Iowa.

Farm Bureau members receive up to 20% discount off AAA membership , applies to new and r... (more)

knowit2 (Jan. 22, 2008 @ 9:13a) |

Any one has codes for MA?

titusjohn (Jan. 23, 2008 @ 1:58p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

are you saying that costco executive members get roadside assist? or do you have to buy AMEX insurance?

Very nice OP, over 25% off.

From AAA web site "Total of 4 service calls". Is this a joke? 4 service call a year for $94. AAA will not be in the business long.

I didn't know that besides the $49 membership fee, you still need to pay for enrollment...

huzz777 said: I didn't know that besides the $49 membership fee, you still need to pay for enrollment...

i didnt either!

orangespot said: are you saying that costco executive members get roadside assist? or do you have to buy AMEX insurance?

Costco Executive members: one-year free roadside assistance for vehicles covered through the Auto Insurance program; and extra travel benefits.

jadekey said: From AAA web site "Total of 4 service calls". Is this a joke? 4 service call a year for $94. AAA will not be in the business long.

LOL. Do you have any idea just how long AAA has been in business? They've been perfectly fine for decades.. I'm sure that won't change anytime soon.

I had a 87 sport 'scort, which I used up my 4 tries in a year, they suggested I shouldn't renew the next year.

S105dude said: jadekey said: From AAA web site "Total of 4 service calls". Is this a joke? 4 service call a year for $94. AAA will not be in the business long.

LOL. Do you have any idea just how long AAA has been in business? They've been perfectly fine for decades.. I'm sure that won't change anytime soon.

FWIW-There is no enrollment fee in the Mid-Atlantic region.

jadekey said: AAA will not be in the business long.

A good "Stupid Quote of the Day" for me to use. Thanks .

orangespot said: are you saying that costco executive members get roadside assist? or do you have to buy AMEX insurance?

If you are a Costco regular member and have AMEX liability only insurance then roadside is not offered to you.
If you have Costco executive membership and AMEX liability only, you can get roadside.
Where as if you have comprehensive AMEX insurance thru Costco, you can get roadside for like a buck a month.

huzz777 said: I didn't know that besides the $49 membership fee, you still need to pay for enrollment...

I know.. its stupid and ridiculous. This is the reason I've been waiting for this code.

bokey said: FWIW-There is no enrollment fee in the Mid-Atlantic region.I'm in this area and have never heard of an enrollment fee. As four the four service call limit, money could add up fast if you were paying that out of your own pocket. I'm going on my 25th year with them thanks to my dad hooking me up as a teen.

jadekey said: From AAA web site "Total of 4 service calls". Is this a joke? 4 service call a year for $94. AAA will not be in the business long.

Most people never need to make any service calls, it's just peace of mind insurance. Also, the service stations/towers have a contract with AAA to tow at a reduced rate. I'm sure they get a lot of vehicles that have to come into their shop for service that allows them to make money, otherwise they would not participate.

AAA saved me a ton of Cash Back in the late 70's when I got my license and had my '70 Roadrunner. The car would fly but would then die for a couple of hours. I found it later that it was vapor locking.

S105dude said: jadekey said: From AAA web site "Total of 4 service calls". Is this a joke? 4 service call a year for $94. AAA will not be in the business long.

yeah, very long. My parents were always members, and I have been for years, although I only pay 29$ a year. It USED to be one got a great deal of stuff from them, the triptics, for mapping out routes and trips, of course this is moot with the internet, gps, etc. But, the guide books and actual physical maps are nice. As well, they offer DMV services for registration and renewals, so don't stand in line at your local DMV.

But, the MODEL is, that at least the last time I researched it they were providing 1 SERVICE CALL A YEAR PER 12 people, so it is a profit center to be sure.

FWIW, I've found that AAA is a rip-off. Heck, if you have Cingular, Verizon, or T-Mobile (and who doesn't?), you can sign up for Cingular RoadSide Assistance or T-Mobile Roadside Assistance for $2.99/month (Verizon Roadside Assistance is a penny more, $3/month); that comes out to just under $36/year. this is Cingular's features, though all of them have these and are pretty much the same:

"Roadside Assistance, previously known as MobileAssist to former customers of AT&T Wireless, provides you with fast, efficient service throughout the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands 24 hours a day, every day of the year! Simply call the toll-free number and a qualified professional will be dispatched to your location to provide the services you need. New subscribers may qualify for a 30-day free trial. Be sure to ask a company representative about your eligibility.

Cingular helps you get the assistance you need, when and where you need it, including:
Towing
Battery service/jump start
Flat tire assistance
Fuel delivery (up to three gallons, gas or diesel)
Lockout assistance
Key replacement
Hertz rental car savings

Each service call is limited to a maximum benefit of $50.00 per service event. Your coverage will become effective 72 hours after enrollment and includes four free service calls per year, per wireless number. You will receive a Roadside Assistance information package after enrollment that contains complete service details and limitations. All Roadside Assistance services are provided by Asurion.
"

Let's see...just under $100/year for AAA, or pay ~60% less through your mobile phone provider, and get the same features/benefits (4 service calls per year, etc.) Now tell me again why AAA is better? Oh, right - it's not. :rolleyes:

I am collecting all US maps and tour guide books to cover my AAA membership fees......

HotStuff2 said: FWIW, I've found that AAA is a rip-off. Heck, if you have Cingular, Verizon, or T-Mobile (and who doesn't?), you can sign up for Cingular RoadSide Assistance or T-Mobile Roadside Assistance for $2.99/month (Verizon Roadside Assistance is a penny more, $3/month); that comes out to just under $36/year. this is Cingular's features, though all of them have these and are pretty much the same:

"Roadside Assistance, previously known as MobileAssist to former customers of AT&T Wireless, provides you with fast, efficient service throughout the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands 24 hours a day, every day of the year! Simply call the toll-free number and a qualified professional will be dispatched to your location to provide the services you need. New subscribers may qualify for a 30-day free trial. Be sure to ask a company representative about your eligibility.

Cingular helps you get the assistance you need, when and where you need it, including:
Towing
Flat tire assistance
Lockout assistance
Key replacement
Hertz rental car savings

Each service call is limited to a maximum benefit of $50.00 per service event. Your coverage will become effective 72 hours after enrollment and includes four free service calls per year, per wireless number. You will receive a Roadside Assistance information package after enrollment that contains complete service details and limitations. All Roadside Assistance services are provided by Asurion.
"

Let's see...just under $100/year for AAA, or pay ~60% less through your mobile phone provider, and get the same features/benefits (4 service calls per year, etc.) Now tell me again why AAA is better? Oh, right - it's not. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I didn't know that before.

YMMV as this code is applicable only in Northern California, Nevada & Utah territory.

Utah territory?? Didn't they make Utah a state a few years back?

Lots of people don't, though the option is clearly marked on just about every wireless provider's website and is usually on the bill too. Most people say "I have AAA" or "I don't need this" withotu looking into it any further. Oftentimes, Cingular, T-Mobile, or Verizon will offer more than the 30-day-free-trial period; last year I got 12 months for free. The features are identical to AAA, cost WAY less, and are easier to deal with - you always have yoru cel phone on you, and just call them. I've also found they respond faster, IMHO.

nickmdeal said: S105dude said: As well, they offer DMV services for registration and renewals, so don't stand in line at your local DMV.

But, the MODEL is, that at least the last time I researched it they were providing 1 SERVICE CALL A YEAR PER 12 people, so it is a profit center to be sure.

The DMV thing, is that a local offering?

For people who need AAA, this is good.

I got roadside from Geico for $15 and a GPS (for a few hundred dollars).
Used to be with AAA but could not justifying spending that much for
something that I rarely use.

I think AAA is losing business unless they cut price.

HotStuff2 said: FWIW, I've found that AAA is a rip-off. Heck, if you have Cingular, Verizon, or T-Mobile (and who doesn't?), you can sign up for Cingular RoadSide Assistance or T-Mobile Roadside Assistance for $2.99/month (Verizon Roadside Assistance is a penny more, $3/month); that comes out to just under $36/year. this is Cingular's features, though all of them have these and are pretty much the same:

Towing
Flat tire assistance
Lockout assistance
Key replacement
Hertz rental car savings

"

Well, it all varies I guess. T-Mobile/Cingular coverage is per line as they explained. I guess if you play tricks and if your spouses line has the coverage, and you call your spouse to place a service call when your car is broken, so you can get away with just 1 coverage covering 2 people. If I pay for 2 line coverage, it will be $72, plus close to 20% tax (in this area) Cingular charges (as they said). AAA for me only $55 for member/spouse coverage, which is cheaper.

I guess over last 15 year I had AAA their benefit value has gone down some, since 10-12 years ago it was not easy to make "Trip-ticks" yourself. Now with all the mapping software, the only benefit of these is convenience. Same with maps, although in some areas you get pretty nice local maps updated every year.
They do have other benefits like $5 passport pics (again if you can not make pictures yourself and pring them for $.19), $5 off international driving permits.
What actually pays for my membership is $50 member discount on AAA property insurance which came out the cheapest for my house even without that discount. You also get member discount on AAA car insurance, although in my case it was more expensive then a couple of others, not by much though.

OM

For people having 21st century insurance, roadside assistance is covered free in insurance. There is no limit for number of calls per year.

I even use them to change flat tire at my home for my dad's car.

I have 21st century insurance and they have road-side included at no addtional cost.

Towing
Flat tire assistance
Lockout assistance
Key replacement
Hertz rental car savings

"

I actually think you are going to find this would be more money. Granted, the listed price is nice, but who pays 100$ for AAA?

I pay 29$, and the normal fees are 36-45$?

with that, I get up to 100 miles towing, FREE, no charges. You are not going to find that for less than 50$ anywhere from anyone. I see the Cingular plan as a real profit center for them, monthly AND if you have a problem.

with AAA, you get free gas, not gas brougth and billed at XX$$?

The DMV thing, is that a local offering?Yes, even AAA is a local thing - it is not one company. They are loose associations. For example, no DMV service in Ohio.

AAA membership is a ripoff. If auto insurance company provides ERS it is better to go with them. I have been with them for last 9 years and this is the first year I have given it a thought and I decided really need not pay $89 for basic membership for two. GEICO provides ERS for about 22/yr for both vehicles. I think I will buy a lot of maps for remaining $67.

garu1gsr said: AAA membership is a ripoff. If auto insurance company provides ERS it is better to go with them. ...

Well, I did that when I was with Geico. I called in for road side assistance when I was stuck. They serviced me and then raised the rates the next renewal because I made a claim (apparently roadside assistnce is a claim). From then on I am with AAA. I like them because they offer a maps, tour books and like their Hertz coupons and $ off hotel rates.

Ok one other thing for those of you that are in massachusetts i got a 5% discount on auto insurance for having AAA with commerce auto insurance. I don't know if this applies to all of the commerce places (the individual offices are basically franchises) and i was a new just turned old enough to get a car etc so this could have been a new person type thing though the discount has stayed with me (had car now for 2 years). Basically the 5% off made the AAA membership free (I may even have saved a few extra dollars on top of that) Anyways where ever you are with whatever insurance provider it costs you nothing to ask about it. YMMV

astro26 said: I had a 87 sport 'scort, which I used up my 4 tries in a year, they suggested I shouldn't renew the next year.You got the letter right ?

I am dropping AAA as my insurance provider because they are forcing me to renew my AAA service in order to use their insurance.

I always join them just before a roadtrip then cancel for
full refund later.

Allstate charges like $2 for roadside per car for 6 months. The deal is that you have a problem, you get it fixed and then send them a bill. They reimburse actual value upto $50 per incident 4 times per car.

If you can deal with getting a guy to come, this looks like a good bet.

OT, do you guys keep anything but liability on older cars? I have an older Lexus about $9000 worth. I am in a dilemma. drop coverage or keep it? I guess the reason I keep it is if someone totally creams the car, it is going to cost a lot or replacement value is going to be high.

What do you think?

N

needdealsnow said: ...
OT, do you guys keep anything but liability on older cars? I have an older Lexus about $9000 worth. I am in a dilemma. drop coverage or keep it? I guess the reason I keep it is if someone totally creams the car, it is going to cost a lot or replacement value is going to be high.

What do you think?

N

If the car is totalled, Allstate will only pay the actual cash value, which will be less than $9K. If it can be repaired for less than that then that's what Allstate will pay. Depending on what you are paying for comprehensive and liability, it may be worthwhile to drop it and invest the premium of those coverages.

Tacoma99 said: I always join them just before a roadtrip then cancel for
full refund later.

Even better - just join when you need a tow. You can do it all over the phone, from the road. So why pre-pay?

AAA+ rocks, i blew a headgasket at the drag strip 110 miles away cost me $25 tow home.
that would have been EXPENSIVE bill otherwise! teach you to play with nitrous

hos01 said: I have 21st century insurance and they have road-side included at no addtional cost.
damn, I d
I didn't know that .

Skipping 96 Messages...
Any one has codes for MA?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014