• filter:
  • 1 234553
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
*UPDATED* Special thanks to cycloneman for his continued contributions to this thread!

Be sure to check your local Wal*Mart for the Hoover Whisper! This is probably THE Dyson Killer! It's now $98.86 and the model number is U5184-900. (Thanks cycloneman!!!) http://www.WalMart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10258692

If you're looking for the Hoover Fusion thread, it's still this one. I've changed it though to reflect the new Hoover Whisper and now older MachX Series (Mach3 and Mach5). They are newer versions of the Fusion (the Fusion is discontinued).

Hoover Whisper - Now $98.86 !!(Online and B&M) <--- The one to get!!

Hoover Mach3 - $89.94 (Online and B&M) <---virtually identical to the fusion, though hopefully with better emissions (untested by Consumer Reports yet).

Hoover Mach5 - $168.44 (Online and B&M) <---adds a HEPA Filter, Longer Cord that Auto-Rewinds, and an On/Off Brush Roll control for bare floors.

Hoover Fusion - $61.19 Shipped @ Amazon -- Price Fluctuates

These are definitely designed to give Dyson a run for its money, and at a considerably lesser price.

Please posts your comments on these models if you buy one! Thanks to clb4g9 for alerting us to the new model Mach3!

The below information is my original post on the Hoover Fusion, which is now discontinued.

Your store may have lowered the price to $98.88. Online price was confirmed @ $98.88 but it is no longer on their website.
Sam's Club has the Hoover Fusion Plus - Must choose instore pickup to view it for $109.86. It is green and blue, has a longer hose, and a bare floor attachment.

An identical unit is sold at Home Depot under the Maytag Legacy name (Maytag owns Hoover). It is currently selling for $119.99 and is similar to the Hoover Fusion Plus, although it is purple and silver in color.

I'll start off by saying that I've found people's opinions on vacuums vary A LOT. Any time a vacuum thread starts here the arguments begin. I've yet to read a review of a vacuum where EVERYONE agrees. I am only posting this to let people know that this particular vacuum is out there and "I" consider it a hot deal.

Wal*Mart has been selling the Hoover Fusion Cyclonic Vacuum for about a year now. It was originally $128.88 but the price has dropped in typical Wal*Mart "Rollback" fashion to $112.88. Hoover Fusion at Wal*Mart.com It is exclusively available at Wal*Mart (test marketing?).

I decided to purchase this vacuum mainly because there have been a few "unconfirmed" reports on several review sites that it is based on the Patent for the original Dyson DC-01. From what I've read Dyson either let the patent expire or they forgot to renew it (forgot? Unlikely if you ask me), and Hoover swooped in and bought the Patent and released this Fusion.

My first thought was BS, simply because it didn't seem like it could be true. Never-the-less I bought one and so far, I'm sold. I used an Oreck on my carpet that hadn't been vacuumed for a week (which includes the "remains" of my two cats that love to track their litter around). After I was finished, I setup (very easy) the Hoover and let it do it's thing. It proceeded to pick up a LOT more hair, dirt, dust, etc., than the Oreck.

I've cherished my Oreck, but I'm going to sell it and stick with this Fusion. I've used a Dyson before (returned it simply because I'm cheap and had buyer's remorse) and this puppy immediately brought back memories of it. While I have no proof that it's a Dyson in Hoover's clothing, I will say that if any concrete evidence is ever brought forward that it is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If I still had the Dyson to do the same test I did with the Oreck, I'd be even more convinced. But from what I have seen from it, I'm sold.

Yes, it's supposedly based on an older Dyson design, so it's not like you're buying the Dyson technology that's available now. But you are buying in my opinion a heck of a vacuum for a little over a hundred bucks.

epinions.com reviews of the product. As always, pretty mixed. Like I said, it's hard to nail down a vacuum with 100% positive reviews.

From what I understand, Consumer Reports gave it a bad review. But they gave the Dyson a bad one too.

I say with Wal*Mart's very liberal return policy, we can decide how hot of a deal this is.

Walmart
Need a Walmart coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

whisper (2.82kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
My Mach 5 is on its last legs. †What would be my best alternative for a similar vacuum? †It performed well - just lookin... (more)

telstar (Nov. 24, 2013 @ 8:47p) |

try the Hoover Whisper Cyclonic from allbrands. com (see posting just before your note)
Our 2 units are still going after... (more)

gardenstate (Nov. 24, 2013 @ 9:42p) |

Greetings people of the once-bustling Hoover Whisper thread.

How long and how wide is the center tube that people have w... (more)

navelgaze (May. 31, 2014 @ 10:37a) |

HOOVER WHISPER CYCLONIC UPRIGHT - Model U5184900 (updated 4/7/12)

available online at WalMart.com for $75 shipped
WalMart product page

also available online at Hoover.com for $139.99

NOTE: links from FW to Hoover.com are not working (redirects not allowed) so manually copy & past URLs

Product Page
http://hoover.com/products/details/u5184900/whisper-cyclonic-upright

Owner's Manual PDF (3.34 MB)
http://www.hoover.com/file/449

Promotion Codes (h/t Jason986, DoctorDeals and yuchar168)
SECRET20SALE = 20% off
RMN15 = $15 off

NEWHOOVERFS = free shipping

Combine Discount and Free Shipping Promo Codes For Max Savings
$139.99 - 20% off plus free shipping = $111.99 plus tax

note: Whisper has not been available at WalMart since Spring or Summer 2011

OTHER VACUUM CLEANERS - MANY OR ALL OF THESE MODELS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Consumer reports rated the Hoover Fusion as not recommended due to emmisions, although it is true that the vacuum has good suction. The Hoover Mach3 and Mach5 are brand new and not reviewed by Consumer Reports at this time. Hopefully Hoover has fixed the emission problem. The Mach5 *does* have a HEPA filter, so hopefully that model filters better than the original Fusion and Fusion Plus!

Hoover Mach 3, Mach5 and Fusion are only available at Wal*Mart online or B&M (in stores).
Hoover Fusion Plus only available at Sam's Club online or B&M.
The Maytag Legacy is only available from Home Depot B&M.

More reviews.

Another site with a discussion (also mentions "the patent" issue).

The only 'care' which the Mach 5 will need is:

Remove the cyclone assembly from the clear bin once a week, turn it upside down, and remove the hair/fluff that clogs the exit from the tapered cyclone. This is important to do with ALL the Hoover cyclonic models: fusion/fusion plus/maytag legacy/mach 3/mach 4/mach 5/fusion 2.

Wash the pre-motor filter once each month, using water only, no soap, allow to dry.

Wash the post-motor Hepa filter once each year, using water only, no soap, allow to dry.

Change the drive belt once each year.

From Cycloneman:
The Bissell Healthy-Home is a copy of the multi-cyclone design of the Dyson DC07/DC14 series. That means it separates even more of the very fine dust from the airstream, keeping it away from the filters.

Bissell Volocity and Hoover Mach 5 are dual-cyclone models. They work just fine, but require somewhat more frequent cleaning of the pre-motor filter. Mach 5, in addition, has a tip cover on the end of the tapered cone, which has to be cleaned (takes just a moment) when the bin is emptied. Just pull the hair/fluff off the tip of the cone, and you're ready to go.

Eureka 4880 series came out about seven years ago. Instead of using two cyclones traveling at different speeds (as in Dyson and all other copies), Eureka's machine uses two cyclones spinning at the same speed. At the time 4880 was designed, Dyson's patents were still in force. Eureka 4880 passes a large amount of fine dust to the pre-motor filter (which IS washable). Which means you will spend more time cleaning the vacuum up than with other models. Also, the Eureka is VERY heavy.

My choice would be based upon several factors. IF you want to clean bare floors AND/OR want to use the attachments often, I would definately get a model with a brush shut-off switch. Bissell Total-Floors Volocity, or Hoover Mach 5. IF it's not that important, but carpet cleaning IS, I would recommend the Hoover Mach 3 or the Bissell Volocity. The only real difference is the brush shut-off switch.

Bissell Healthy-Home DOES indeed weigh more than all others, even a pound heavier than the already-heavy Eureka 4880.

I see nothing wrong with the Total Floors Volocity Bissell. IF you add a pre-motor electrostatic filter to the filter drawer, the Total Floors give you everything you would want in a cleaner - great suction, dual-cyclone filtration with NO tip to clean on the tapered cyclone, a very long hose, brush shut off switch, and a very well balanced machine. Also, since the Bissell uses an identical brush bar to the Hoover's, it should clean just as well.

My ONLY gripe about the Volocity (either the standard or the "Total Floors" model with brush shut-off switch) is that the upper cyclone stays in the machine when the dirt container (bin) is removed. This allows a small amount of fine dust to fall upon the body of the cleaner while the bin is removed. A small price to pay for a very good machine at a decent price. Oddly, the Bissell Volocity series (regular and total floors models) as well as the Power-Trak series have an odd smell for the first few uses. It's a combination of the plastic used to make the cleaner and the smell of the Hepa filter. One of the ingredients of ABS (the plastic used to make vacs) is "Benzene" (the "B" in ABS) and in some cases it can have an odor, especially as it gets warm (hot) when a vacuum is used for a while. This smell passes with a few uses, but it IS noticeable for a short while. Hoover and Dyson machines, which also use ABS (but from a different supplier) have no odor.

Multi-cyclonic "should" refer to the fact that there are more than ONE tapered, high efficiency cyclone. In ALL U.S. Dysons, the Dirt Devil Spinnergy, the Bissell Healthy-Home, and the Shark Infinity - they use 'true' multi-cyclonic technology (developed by Dyson). It means that these machines have the maximum amount of airflow, and the maximum amount of separation with regard to fine dust.

Dual-Cyclone units use the "original" Dyson technology (developed in 1983). There is only one high efficiency cyclone (tapered) and one 'low efficiency' cyclone (the walls of the clear bin). Dual-cyclone technology is still light years ahead of a pleated filter in the bin (like in all other bagless machines).

ONLY the Hoover series (Fusion/Fusion Plus/Maytag Legacy/Mach 3/Mach 4/Mach 5) does the tip of the tapered cone need frequent cleaning. But even at that, it takes no more than 5 seconds to pull the hair/fluff from the tip of the cone.

The Eureka 4880 series does NOT use true dual-cyclonic technology since there is NO tapered high efficiency cyclone. As such, the Eureka does not suffer from dirt collecting at the tip of the tapered cone. However, the Eureka *does* suffer from a pre-motor filter that is forced to take a large amount of the fine dust, reducing suction and causing frequent cleaning of the pre-motor filter.

Interestingly, the Hoover, Bissell, and Dirt Devil models all use virtually identical brush bars. Since Dirt Devil and Hoover are now the same company, and both brands are made in the same factory (in China) by the same people, and the same engineers work on developing both brands, the cleaning ability of the Dirt Devil Spinnergy and the Hoover Fusion/Mach series as well as the Bissell Volocity series, is about the same. It's really only the convenience features (hose length, brush shut off switch, thickness of plastic parts) that differ. Of the three (Hoover, Dirt Devil, Bissell), while it's true the Dirt Devil uses more 'advanced' multi-cyclonic technology, the Dirt Devil does NOT work significantly better than the Hoover or Bissell versions to recommend it OVER the Hoover or Bissell.

Each purchaser should ask themselves the question "how important is the brush shut off switch to me" before deciding on one of them.

With Regard to Dyson Models:
The DC07 offers the most Bang for the Buck. It's a true multi-cyclonic machine and has lifetime filters. DC14 cleans no better and is NOT a better value than DC07. DC15 "the ball" is heavy and awkward to use, cleans no better than DC07 or DC14, and is not the best value for the buck. DC17 has an extremely aggressive brush bar, which means it *can* remove more carpet nap than the softer DC07/DC14/DC15 brush roller (a concern for anyone with expensive, high pile, thick plush carpets).
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
i bought this a few months back at the 129$ rate.I love the vacuum and haven't had any problems with it at all.
The suction is superb.Well worth the price in my opinion.

rated:
Do we know if it is in-store as well ?

rated:
What are the major differences b/t this and the "Fusion Plus" sold at Sam's Club (aside from color, obviously)? Per an eBay listing, it seems like the "Plus" has a slightly longer hose...but is that the only real difference?

rated:
Yes, k, it's available in-store.

rated:
chewskydoo said: Yes, k, it's available in-store.

Thanks

rated:
All the Samís Club specs for the Plus (@ $124.78) say that it comes with an Ďextra longí hose (no specs) and bare floor attachments. The WalMart specs (basic, $112.28) says theirs comes with a powered pet tool (not as good as they pimp them to be). Iíll have to check out the Samís Club to get more info from the box, but either way Iíll be getting a new vacuum this week. Our old Hoover Windtunnel has needed replacement for a while. Thanks OP!

rated:
There's no such thing as a Dyson clone...

rated:
coolbreeze said: There's no such thing as a Dyson clone...

Yeah, that was pretty silly to say OP.

rated:
Imitation is the best form of flattery. Looks like Hoover thinks Dyson is the best They sure did try to copy it!

rated:
I saw this one in my quest for a replacement vac. I considered it, but since my last hoover sucked not in a good way I passed and got a dyson.
It did look good though.

rated:
I've had the best luck with hoovers vs anything else i've tried.

As far as imitation, its either flattery or they got tired of seeing people get suckered in by a product that was 75% marketing, 25% content and decided they wanted to sell something to those folks too.

One note, unless i'm mistaken the fusion just got a 'not recommended' by consumer reports due to excessive emissions...throws dust in other words...something about something not being sealed well? I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

Same issues, dyson was rated middle of the pack, and near the bottom in the new 'pet hair' testing.

That ~$100 eurkeka that there have been some threads on is still near the top of the ratings, along with some kenmores and hoovers, which were near the top on pet hair.

Ok, CR ratings and dysonazi baiting aside, almost any new $100+ vac is going to work better than your 5-8 year old one. Its got a tired motor, all sorts of stuff jammed into nooks and crannies throughout, bent hoses and its all clogged up. Hey, i'm talking about the VACUUM here...

Taking any empty vac (even your old one) and doing a 'second run test' over the already vacuumed carpet will produce further stuff you didnt get on the first pass. Taking your new fancy vac to your parents house, where they're still employing a 20 year old vac, will produce amazing results. Heck, the parents will make noises of awe just to encourage you to come vacuum their house for them!

rated:
sklar said:
One note, unless i'm mistaken the fusion just got a 'not recommended' by consumer reports due to excessive emissions...throws dust in other words...something about something not being sealed well? I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

Thanks for that info, i'll look into it also...

rated:
Hey any Vac that has a price tag of $112.xx has my intrest. My Wal=Mart is OOS already

rated:
In stock for me

rated:
Need to check the local B3stbuy. If they have this model, then PM will slide 10% of the diff into my pocket

rated:
Bmr4life said: coolbreeze said: There's no such thing as a Dyson clone...

Yeah, that was pretty silly to say OP.

The Dyson is in a league of its own.

I bought 3 different models of vacuums at WalMart. They all fell apart within 2 years of purchase. I don't have pets and I didn't have any kids at the time.

You get what you pay for.

rated:
I bought this vacuum when it first came out and have no regrets. It really is a value. I wanted a dyson, but couldn't stomach the prices. I also bought keeping in mind the liberal return policy. The only complaint I have is emptying the canister could be done more effectively. I would expect future designs will improve this functionality. It's still much better than emptying our old Dirt Devil Vision.

rated:
SteveG said: ... but since my last hoover sucked ....

LOL!

rated:
OnePenny said: Need to check the local B3stbuy. If they have this model, then PM will slide 10% of the diff into my pocket

The Hoover Fusion is only available at Wal*Mart (Online and In-store).

rated:
Atrac said: OnePenny said: Need to check the local B3stbuy. If they have this model, then PM will slide 10% of the diff into my pocket

The Hoover Fusion is only available at Wal*Mart (Online and In-store).
+
Thanks, your reply saves some gas.

rated:
I have the Fusion Plus, it beat the Dyson's (which are a piece of crap by the way) in a Consumer Reports test.. beat the DC01, DC14, and DC15 (think I have those right)...

Anyway, so far so good. Its a very solid vacuum.

rated:
sklar said: Taking any empty vac (even your old one) and doing a 'second run test' over the already vacuumed carpet will produce further stuff you didnt get on the first pass.
Thanks for making that point. This "test" is long-standing marketing BS and I am amazed that people still fall for it. Like you say, your old vac will "outperform" a new vac when the old vac does the second pass just as easily as the new vac can "outperfom" if it does the second pass... They will always pick up more stuff "that your vacuum left behind" (like the Orek ad).

rated:
elgatoxl said: sklar said:

Thanks for that info, i'll look into it also...

Please post here with your findings if you do test/buy the vacuum.

I'm also looking to buy something in the ~$100 range within the next week.

I was also considering the Eureka 4870, which is for $150 minus the $25 off $125 housewares promotion at Amazon. It was rated #4 in the Consumer Reports test (and was chosen as a "CR Best Buy"), but it seems a few members here say it's not as good as it sounds. I went to check it out at Best Buy, and it seemed ok. The floor unit wasn't in the best condition, so that raises dobts to it's durability. Plus, I think you have to buy the $20 HEPA filter every year or so.

Besides the Eureka, I was considering the Hoover Tempo U5140-900 bagged vacuum (rated #8 in CR). It was listed with an MSRP of $60 in CR, and was $63 shipped at Amazon yesterday, but now it's up to $70 at Amazon, and I don't think anyone near me carries it locally.

Anyway, any feedback to the Fusion vacuum (or any other ones in the $60-120 range) is appreciated.

rated:
kenmarks said: sklar said: Taking any empty vac (even your old one) and doing a 'second run test' over the already vacuumed carpet will produce further stuff you didnt get on the first pass.
Thanks for making that point. This "test" is long-standing marketing BS and I am amazed that people still fall for it. Like you say, your old vac will "outperform" a new vac when the old vac does the second pass just as easily as the new vac can "outperfom" if it does the second pass... They will always pick up more stuff "that your vacuum left behind" (like the Orek ad).

I dunno. I guess it depends on how many times you go over the same area with the same vacumm and consider it a "pass." There has to be a point in which a lesser quality vacuum can't pick up dirt in an area that a superior vacuum can.

rated:
biskit said: I bought this vacuum when it first came out and have no regrets. It really is a value. I wanted a dyson, but couldn't stomach the prices. I also bought keeping in mind the liberal return policy. The only complaint I have is emptying the canister could be done more effectively. I would expect future designs will improve this functionality. It's still much better than emptying our old Dirt Devil Vision.
What don't you like about emptying? It surely is easier than emptying a bag, right?

rated:
Slickone said: biskit said: I bought this vacuum when it first came out and have no regrets. It really is a value. I wanted a dyson, but couldn't stomach the prices. I also bought keeping in mind the liberal return policy. The only complaint I have is emptying the canister could be done more effectively. I would expect future designs will improve this functionality. It's still much better than emptying our old Dirt Devil Vision.
What don't you like about emptying? It surely is easier than emptying a bag, right?
Probably not. Bags are a lot easier to replace, its just a PITA keeping them in stock. I have to empty my bagless outside because dust goes everywhere.

rated:
Any new reviews?

rated:
You can't compare a new vaccum with any other when its new.
Any new vaccum will suck whether its Dyson or Oreck, the real test
is when its little old.

IMHO, mostly, you get what you pay for !

So don't compare and buy it based on your needs and budget !

rated:
Atrac said: kenmarks said: sklar said: Taking any empty vac (even your old one) and doing a 'second run test' over the already vacuumed carpet will produce further stuff you didnt get on the first pass.

I dunno. I guess it depends on how many times you go over the same area with the same vacumm and consider it a "pass." There has to be a point in which a lesser quality vacuum can't pick up dirt in an area that a superior vacuum can.

Absolutely. But running your old vac over a carpet and then running a new one over it doesnt constitute an objective "test" of the new vacuum. If you were to perform multiple passes with a new model of the old vac until it failed to put anything in the bag/container, THEN went over it with a different vac and came up with something, THATS an indicator of the new vac being a better performer.

Otherwise you're comparing the ability of a brand new sucker vs an old one, where the old one might have taken up just as much on a second pass as the new one did on its first pass. And you havent got any good correlation between the new vacuum and how well it would have done in place of the old one. "cutting the room in half" is fine, but traffic, soil and adherence may be wildly different from one part of a room to another, and from one day/week to the next. Some areas of carpet have different levels of wear and attract/surrender soil differently. Some areas of carpet may have different moisture levels and that affects how well soil is held.

Equally and uniformly distributing materials to a variety of flooring types, including those that have been uniformly worn and then testing various vacuums on that uniform test bed is about the only way to get a fair analysis. Thats been done and the results widely reported.

All that having been said, everyones cleaning needs and environment are variable and its plausible that one units brush type, how it contacts the carpet, its suction, and the form factors and usability characteristics may be better for one person than another, and a magazine test cant determine that.

All THAT having been said, some people want to spend a lot of money on a well marketed, recognized "top of the line" product and will convince themselves by one means or another that its better whether it is or not.

I just want something that inexpensively and effectively cleans my floors. I see no "cool factor" in my vacuum cleaner

In that vein, this particular vacuum (minus the CR complaint about emissions) is a good performer, and so is the eureka, both in the $100 range. If you want to spend $300-500+ for a vacuum because its cool looking, has a guy with an english accent that tells you in vague terms that its better, or because you think it'll be more reliable...you oughta do it.

rated:
I have had on for a few month now. I was at Sam club about to buy the Dyson when I saw the Hoover. For $124.00 buck plus the good old return policy I could not lose. All I can say is WOW! What a great vacuum. I don't know why Hoover has not sold more on them. No bags or filters to replace or try to find. From my internet research is seem Hoover got the old Dyson patent rights to this vacuum. I am very please!! Some what on a pain to totaly clean the hard plastic filter but that is why I have a Ridge shop vac.

rated:
I'm in!

rated:
Thanks Op. Im sold. dyson clone or not, Im gonna give it a try.

rated:
you don't renewal patent, once its expired, its fair game that anyone can copy it.

rated:
Thanks OP, although this machine does not have a HEPA filter, I will try this since i cant afford to dish out $450 for a dyson.

rated:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the possibility of the Hoover being Dyson design.

I purchased a specific model of Eureka EZ Kleen a few years back from Wal-Mart for around the $100 range. I researched all the forums and was ready to pull the trigger on a Dyson before stumbling upon it. The story was the Eureka was based upon one of Dyson's first designs. There was either never a patent filed or it expired, escapes me right now which one it was. The Eureka has flat out blown away any vacuum I've ever owned prior. Suction is strong enough to literally pull the carpet up. The amount of junk in the canister is just incredible. Still have it today. Oh, and the EZ Kleen I have has a HEPA. Not sure if it is still sold or what model number it is. Don't have it in front of me right now. Next time I'm in Wal-Mart I'll have a look at the Hoover to see check out how it compares physically.

rated:
elgatoxl said: All the Samís Club specs for the Plus (@ $124.78) say that it comes with an Ďextra longí hose (no specs) and bare floor attachments. The WalMart specs (basic, $112.28) says theirs comes with a powered pet tool (not as good as they pimp them to be). Iíll have to check out the Samís Club to get more info from the box, but either way Iíll be getting a new vacuum this week. Our old Hoover Windtunnel has needed replacement for a while. Thanks OP!

Have you made the trip yet? I'm debating about jumping on this deal, but am interested in what the extra $12 might get me. I only have a WalMart close to me, so I can't check my Sam's Club until they finish building it.

rated:
Just wanted to say that I picked up this vacuum today since I needed one for my new apartment. I was pretty amazed with how much dirt/hair it picked up. Was definitely worth the money. If you're on the edge like I was, I'd definitely recommend getting it.

rated:
dyermaker said: Just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding the possibility of the Hoover being Dyson design.

I purchased a specific model of Eureka EZ Kleen a few years back from Wal-Mart for around the $100 range. I researched all the forums and was ready to pull the trigger on a Dyson before stumbling upon it. The story was the Eureka was based upon one of Dyson's first designs. There was either never a patent filed or it expired, escapes me right now which one it was. The Eureka has flat out blown away any vacuum I've ever owned prior. Suction is strong enough to literally pull the carpet up. The amount of junk in the canister is just incredible. Still have it today. Oh, and the EZ Kleen I have has a HEPA. Not sure if it is still sold or what model number it is. Don't have it in front of me right now. Next time I'm in Wal-Mart I'll have a look at the Hoover to see check out how it compares physically.
I wouldn't be surprise if Hoover and Dyson worked out a deal so Dyson can get into the large Wal-Mart market without dirtying thier high end name. They must have worked out a similar deal with Eureka before. If these models weren't exclusive to Wal-Mart/Sams then my theory is shot.

Anyways I picked up the vacuum and so far I think its OK. I wish it had a longer tube for the hand attachments. The dirt canister if much easier to empty then the Dirt Devil bagless I had. I really like the power switch on the handle. It didn't seem to get more dog hair from the big rug I have downstairs in the living room (hard flooring down there). It made it look really clean from a distance (from upstairs) but upon closer look it left a few small strands. The dirt canister did fill up quickly though when I did the upstairs hallway. Of course we haven't vacuumed in a while either. One more plus I haven't tried yet was the tool-less entry to the belts (unless you consider a quarter a tool). Belt access can be a major PITA. The Dirt Devil seemed to do a better job on the rug with the dog hair (but not by much, I think it has a better brush for that kind of app), and the Hoover better on carpet. I'll probably use that downstairs once I get a replacement belt and the Hoover upstairs. Just to clarify the Hoover removes all hair from the carpet.

Skipping 2045 Messages...
rated:
Greetings people of the once-bustling Hoover Whisper thread.

How long and how wide is the center tube that people have warned and/or complained about sometimes coming loose and falling out when shaking out the accumulated dust from the canister?

I ask because I've been doing some much overdue cleaning of the vacuum and there are no center tube parts which come loose, no matter how hard I twist or pull. I'm wondering if it might have fallen out and into the garbage at some point and I never noticed.

If the tube is the big red center tube, about 3.5" wide, then no problem, it's still there. However, if is a much smaller diameter tube that sits inside of the big red center tube, then seats itself within the slightly recessed rubber gasket in the center of the large red tube.. then I'm in trouble. It's probably long gone.

But then again... the vacuum seems to work just fine without it, so just how important is that tube anyway?

I've thoroughly searched this thread (and Google'd for it) and can find no pictures of this mysterious tube.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 234553
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014