• filter:
  • 14 5 67853
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I talked my parents into taking back their Dyson they purchased at Sam's for about $500 and buy the Hoover Fusion. The Fusion is a great vacuum and I haven't noticed the dust back in the air issue at all. Just make sure you keep everything clean. On the Fusion box, it even has "Outcleans Dyson by 13% (models DC07, DC14, DC15)"

I personally use a Eureka Boss Yellow Vacuum I bought at Costco last year. I'm very interested in the Dirt Devil Reaction Dual Cyclonic (Blue) as it boosts twin cyclone tanks and promises twice the suction as the Fusion. Any one have this Dirt Devil ?

http://www.dirtdevil.com/Products/productDetail.aspx?id=36967

Thanks!

rated:
Picked one form Princeton, NJ - nice vac... I still need to be convinved it's dyson clone. So I am going to vac with my regular vac and then run this over the carpet.. let's see

rated:
I've been looking for a good vaccum that will pick up dog hair and carpet fuzz with ease. Ya'll convinced me, im going to my local wally world tonight to buy one. If i dont like it WalMart does have a great return policy and its just a few mins from my house.

Bob

rated:
I had to call around to the 3 local WalMarts before I found the last one on Woodruff Road in Greenville, SC had 2. I went and bought one of them today, leaving one in the store at 12 noon.

I haven't even gotten it out of the box yet, but of all things, I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm a typical guy - I hate vacuuming - but to get the house clean I had to get motivated, so thanks to everybody for the information on this vacuum cleaner.

rated:
I think Hoover has another Dyson knockoff, with more features than the Fusion, selling under the Elite Rewind model #U5507-900.

Hoover doesn't advertise this vac as having a cyclonic feature but it sure looks like it operates that way to me! In addition to the Fusion vac features, it has a lifetime HEPA filter, rewind cord storage, and a headlight.

I've used a Dyson DC07 several times and this vac has a few similar features.

Amazon has it for $95, and Costco is selling it in store for $89.99 under item #104536.

Darren

rated:
picked the last one in my local WalMart in Orlando.

Green for u OP !

rated:
For those skeptics out there - I've been using this vacuum for about three weeks now. It is amazing. Very sturdy, sucks up so much dirt. I am very impressed for $98 bucks!

rated:
Went to WalMart and right next to the Hoover Fusion, is a Dirt Devil Action, it's the same price, and it's also got the cyclonic action, they look very similiar. The Dirt Devil has a 3 year warranty vs the hoover fusions 1 yr warranty, and it's got a slightly longer cord, 30' vs. 25'....so i'm torn...by any chance has anyone out there compared these two and figured out which one is better?

rated:
dkcs said: I think Hoover has another Dyson knockoff, with more features than the Fusion, selling under the Elite Rewind model #U5507-900.

Hoover doesn't advertise this vac as having a cyclonic feature but it sure looks like it operates that way to me! In addition to the Fusion vac features, it has a lifetime HEPA filter, rewind cord storage, and a headlight.

Amazon has it for $95, and Costco is selling it in store for $89.99 under item #104536.

Darren

Interesting - why would they not state it clearly ? Link

rated:
dkcs said: I think Hoover has another Dyson knockoff, with more features than the Fusion, selling under the Elite Rewind model #U5507-900.

Darren

Well, any type of cyclonic vacuum could broadly be considered a "Dyson clone" I suppose, since
he originated the idea of using a cyclone to spin the dirt out of the air. However the Hoover Fusion's design is specifically based on an old Dyson patent, hence it get's the official "Dyson clone" title.

Interestingly enough, the Hoover Elite Rewind is made for Hoover by LG Electronics. LG Electronics' Original Version is here

rated:
97 shipping available now, so it is $99.85 delivered for this vacuum:

Hoover Fushion cyclonic upright vacuum

rated:
k000 said: dkcs said: I think Hoover has another Dyson knockoff, with more features than the Fusion, selling under the Elite Rewind model #U5507-900.

Darren

Marketing, or possibly they have an exclusive contract with WalMart? For $89.99 plus tax at Costco it is definitely worth a look! You always have the Costco return policy to back you up!

rated:
This is a great vacuum for the price IMO. I have had this for several months. It's leagues above my old dirt devil. Never used a dyson before. It picks up a lot of dirt and hair. Suction is great and it's quiet compared to my old vacuum which is a big plus. Emptying the canister and cleaning the cone isn't that bad. I highly recommend doing it outdoors though. I have not experienced dirt and dust being shot back into the air with my unit. I haven't noticed it at least... I sure can see all the dirt it does collect in the canister though. This vacuum has my thumbs up recommendation for under $100.

rated:
I have been using Hoover Fusion for the past 5 months and have found it to be terrific so far. It cleans deep and efficiently and is very quiet. My earlier vaccum was a Eureka that had good suction for may be 2 years is still working but pretty much useless for real vacuuming. I have never used a Dyson before so have nothing to say from a comparitive standpoint.

Now on the negatives: Design of Fusion's dirt canister from a cleaning/emptying standpoint, in my opinion just like a few others on this thread, is simply poor. For those with severe dirt allergies it may be an issue but for others like me it's not that big of a deal. Unless, for whatever reason, you happen to be cleaning a whole lot AND collecting a lot of dust more than a few times a week. In which case, yes, cleaning this vacuum could soon get tiring and you quickly begin to question the Price/Value ratio.

I will clarify though that whatever Consumer Reports have to say about this vacuum throwing dust when cleaning is definitely not true (surely not in my case). Unless I misinterpert CR and what they are really implying is the same issue I mention above of empyting/cleaning the canister after you are done vacuuming.

rated:
I have this vacuum as well along with a $1500 brand. This outcleans it hands down. You will not be disappointed. You will be amazed at what it picks up. Why pay so much for a Dyson when you can own this 4 or 5 times over, get a better clean, and be satisfied.

rated:
bas2000 said: I talked my parents into taking back their Dyson they purchased at Sam's for about $500 and buy the Hoover Fusion. The Fusion is a great vacuum and I haven't noticed the dust back in the air issue at all. Just make sure you keep everything clean. On the Fusion box, it even has "Outcleans Dyson by 13% (models DC07, DC14, DC15)"

I personally use a Eureka Boss Yellow Vacuum I bought at Costco last year. I'm very interested in the Dirt Devil Reaction Dual Cyclonic (Blue) as it boosts twin cyclone tanks and promises twice the suction as the Fusion. Any one have this Dirt Devil ?

http://www.dirtdevil.com/Products/productDetail.aspx?id=36967

Thanks!

I am personally very interested in checking this one out. Just curious where does it say (or promise) twice the suction as Fusion ?

rated:
For those considering this vacuum, I have had one for a few months. The suction is awesome -- I can pick up a shoe with it. My one complaint would be that the hose is way too short when using the tools for edging or stairs, causing the vacuum to fall over if you aren't really careful.

rated:
The Hoover Fusion is definitely the cheapest "Dyson Clone" on the market, although realistically speaking, it is a clone of a Dyson Model that we have never even seen in the U.S (because the technology was so old it was way before Dyson debuted in the States). If you are more interested in a more "up-to-date" clone (one that mimic's Dyson's Root Cyclone Technology -- meaning more than two cyclones used to assist in suction), there are several choices:

1) Bissell Healthy Home Vacuum - This one sells for around $299.99 or less, depending on sales. Bissell chooses to highlight it's "allergy" features in lieu of it's Root Cyclone Technology (which in my opinion is jaw-dropping in how close it copies Dyson's technology). This vacuum in my opinion is the BEST value if you don't want to spend the money on a Dyson. If you have asthma or a problem with allergies, this vacuum should be considered. It sells at Target, Linens 'N Things (think 20% off coupon), Best Buy, and Sears. It is made by Samsung and sold under the Bissell name.

2) Sears Kenmore Iridium Canister Vacuum If a canister is more your thing, you should consider the Kenmore Iridium. It also is a pretty close copy of Dyson's Root Cyclone Technology, although in canister form. I personally have not tried this vacuum but have heard good things about it. It's MSRP is $499.99 but is often on sale for $399.99. It is manufactured by LG Electronics and is sold exclusively at Sears under their Kenmore name. Sometime next year expect to see an upright version. At the $399.99 sale price, it's not much less than a Dyson DC-07.

3) Infinity Vacuum This particular line from the usually not too reliable Shark Company also uses the Root Cyclone technique, this time with a stunning 24 Cyclones. It comes in two versions, $199 and an "Animal" version which sells for around $249.99. Kohl's actually had the $199.99 version on sale for $97 a few weeks ago. It was posted here to Fatwallet and no one seemed to care! D'oh!

So that's my summary of the "True" Dyson Clones that are currently available in the United States. As I said, I'd favor the Bissell Healthy Home over the others, since the price is right and it specifically concentrates on not polluting your home with emissions. The Bissell actually claims to clean your air while you vacuum!

It's true, the Hoover Fusion does not appear to emit dust. But it's lack of a HEPA filter really makes me wonder. A HEPA Filter can remove at least 99.97% of dust, pollen, mould, bacteria and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 micrometres (m) at 85 litres per minute (L/min). SO if the Hoover Fusion really IS throwing stuff back into the air, unless you have microscopic vision, you are not going to see it. I'd be inclined to take Consumer Report's word on it.

Obviously the above choices cost considerably more than the Hoover Fusion. The companies know they are copying Dyson so they are charging more for it. Considering a Dyson sells for $400+, these particular manufacturers still they you are getting a bargain over the alternative.

rated:
Atrac said: .....
It's true, the Hoover Fusion does not appear to emit dust. But it's lack of a HEPA filter really makes me wonder. A HEPA Filter can remove at least 99.97% of dust, pollen, mould, bacteria and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 micrometres (m) at 85 litres per minute (L/min). SO if the Hoover Fusion really IS throwing stuff back into the air, unless you have microscopic vision, you are not going to see it. I'd be inclined to take Consumer Report's word on it.

OP: Good point about relying on CR for fallback rather than guess work. After some research, I found this about HEPA - "A HEPA vacuum cleaner is a useful investment. It captures fine particles that a typical vacuum cleaner would blow back into the air. Better-built HEPA vacuums have tighter housing that prevents these fine particles from leaking out. An alternative to HEPA vacuum cleaners is a central vacuum cleaner that exhausts to the outside."

Like two sides to any argument, here is another seemingly convicing medical study neutralizing the benefits of HEPA.

"High Efficiency' Vacuum Cleaners No More Effective Than Standard Models At Reducing Exposure To Dust-mites"

Further, my own usage of HEPA-enabled vacuum (Eureka) leaves me questioning whether everyone replaces their HEPA filters in time for maximum efficiency? When does a HEPA filter clog completely and looses its cleaning capacity? More importantly, how do you know it's completely clogged? Visual checks I guess. Admittedly, the high cost of replacement pushed me to replace the filter to a much later date than desired. My point being does it really makes sense to have a HEPA-enabled vaccum when you don't replace it regularly or better still, in light of the above study does it really to have one in the first place?</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>

rated:
Best Vac we ever had.

Had Commercial Grade Vacs.
This is the best - very quite,
HEPA filter not necessary.

rated:
k000 said: dkcs said: I think Hoover has another Dyson knockoff, with more features than the Fusion, selling under the Elite Rewind model #U5507-900.

Darren

Its not; read the user guide and there is no cyclonic action going on there.

rated:
I don't know cyclonic. We bought the Elite Rewind at Costco and are very happy with it. It appears that someone has been listening to all the various complaints about these bagless vacuums and solving them. This one has a long pushrod to empty the dust container into your garbage bag (outside, I presume). So you don't get your hands near the dust. (No bags to buy.)

It also has an indicator to tell you about a full collection chamber.

Lifetime HEPA filter (I'm a bit suspicious about this).

Cord rewind.

That about solves all my usual complaints about vac's, except for having to push it around myself, which would suggest an iRobot product .

It does NOT have a British guy as it's spokesperson.

Ours came complete w the Costco guarantee of satisfaction.

--SRL

rated:
roninmagik1 said: Went to WalMart and right next to the Hoover Fusion, is a Dirt Devil Action, it's the same price, and it's also got the cyclonic action, they look very similiar. The Dirt Devil has a 3 year warranty vs the hoover fusions 1 yr warranty, and it's got a slightly longer cord, 30' vs. 25'....so i'm torn...by any chance has anyone out there compared these two and figured out which one is better?

I bought the Dirt Devil action. I've had bagless vacs then switched to an Oreck but just got tired of having to by bags.
I LOVE how easy it is to empty out the waste canister on the DD Action. No having to get down and dirty, just push a button to release the canister and pull a lever to empty the container right ontop of the waste basket. Washable filters including the HEPA one.

rated:
samx said: k000 said: dkcs said: I think Hoover has another Dyson knockoff, with more features than the Fusion, selling under the Elite Rewind model #U5507-900.

Darren

Its not; read the user guide and there is no cyclonic action going on there.

Have you actually used the Elite Rewind? Don't go by the PDF user guide....

rated:
Cool! I'm in for one! We have a business (shameless plug: Salon Supplies & Interiors in Folsom, PA) that manufactures custom salon furniture and our showroom is difficult to keep clean. If this vac is good and we only need to vacuum the showroom once per week, it will be well worth the money. We are tough on vacuums, with all the saw dust, bits of laminate, etc that get tracked into our showroom, if this thing lasts a year, I will be delighted.

Happy New Year to all!

rated:
Found this "recall" notice over @ Costco re: one of the Hoover models....

hoover

rated:
srl99 said:

Cord rewind.

That about solves all my usual complaints about vac's, except for having to push it around myself, which would suggest an iRobot product .

It does NOT have a British guy as it's spokesperson.

--SRL

I used to have a Sanyo 20 years ago and it had cord rewind. Can't believe most vaccums nowadays do not have cord rewind. technology going backwards.

BTW, he's a german guy.

rated:
bigtisas said: BTW, he's a german guy.

Actually, James Dyson is English.

rated:
I have this vacuum.. you get what you paid for. Very strong suction at first but you lose suction as stuff gets stuck in the fake cyclone cone at the top.

shoulda put that 98 bucks towards a dyson.

rated:
Paco said: Found this "recall" notice over @ Costco re: one of the Hoover models....

hoover

So?

ajun007 said: I have this vacuum.. you get what you paid for. Very strong suction at first but you lose suction as stuff gets stuck in the fake cyclone cone at the top.

shoulda put that 98 bucks towards a dyson.

Can't you open that top and rinse to get rid of the stucking stuff? I'm doing my research and wanna buy one, my bagless Panasonic is just killing me, you need 30 minutes to clean the filter with dust all over the place!

rated:
Well after going to WalMart three times and debating, i bought the vacuum today, just finished testing it out and i'm taking it back to Wal-Mart. it seems to do a decent job on carpets, but on tile it doesn't do a good job, i was vacuuming the bathroom, which is tile, and just looking on the floor, i could see small particles of dirt and stuff, that it wouldn't pick up! i pushed over the same area about 3 or 4 times, and it still wouldn't pick it up, so i got the vacuum i bought last month, a eureka the boss lite widetrack (from WalMart also, $40) and it picked up the small particles the hoover wouldn't!! So i'm returning the hoover, and i'll probably either 1> save up for a dyson or 2>buy another eureka. The only problem with the eureka super lite is that it doesn't have one of those tube things that you can attach extensions to for under the bed, or reaching cobwebs and the like.

So, i guess the search for the perfect vacuum goes on...

extra thoughts...

the hoover fusion has good suction, when i put my hand over the mouth of the tube extension, i feel alot of suction, which makes me wonder why it can't pick up the small particles. I had it on the low setting, but after taking a look, it seems like even on the lowest setting, i think the eureka boss lite is lower to the ground, maybe that explains it...actually, now that i think on it, when you move over the floor, it sucks up some stuff, but anything that doesn't get sucked up, shoots out the back, a small object, looked like a concrete chip or something actually shot out the back and hit my foot and stung me, (i was vacuuming barefoot), maybe it's the action of the rotating brush...

if i buy another eureka, just one with the hose extension, who knows if it will be as good as the eureka super lite wide trak? just cause one model of a companies vacuum is good, doesn't mean they're all good. And if i do find another model eureka that is good, i'll still have to think about the performance it'll have 3 years from now, that's why i wanted the cyclonic action that doesn't loose suction over time...

i don't want to spend so much money on the dyson, but if i can find a deal, i might jump, i think i've gotten slightly over obsessed with vacuums...lol, if i wasn't so messy, i'd think i had OCD or something...

rated:
With the beater brush spinning (and no way to turn it off), you are better off using the hose with an attachment (not the one with the mini-turbine) on bare floors.

rated:
Yup! Atrac is right. I have Sam's version with the low floor thing and it works fine. Problem is, however, cleaning that cr#p from the clone cyclone. If there is any Dyson owner here, can you comment on the need to clean Dyson cyclones and how easy/difficult or actually messy it is? TIA.

rated:
I did try the bare floor attachment and it works good, but to vacuum with an attachment that is only a couple inches wide, well it would take me a long time to get the house done! =) I think i might go canister! Most of the house is tile.

rated:
$100 is about all I'm willing to spend on a vac. This thing beats the hell out of any other vac I've used. Good deal!

rated:
samx said: Yup! Atrac is right. I have Sam's version with the low floor thing and it works fine. Problem is, however, cleaning that cr#p from the clone cyclone. If there is any Dyson owner here, can you comment on the need to clean Dyson cyclones and how easy/difficult or actually messy it is? TIA.

I've had the Dyson DC07 that I've rinsed the "Cyclone" part without problems. I've never noticed a problem to begin with, but I always can't resist in trying to tweak things a little better, although I usually make things worse in the end.
I've actually broke some pieces of the plastic housing of the washable filter, oops.. hehe..
Would love another Dyson, but I'm all for spending $100 on something that comes close!

rated:
I ordered the Hoover Fusion Plus at HSN.com for $89.90. It appears to be identical to the model Sam's Club is selling for ~$110 (+ tax/shipping). The regular price at HSN is $119.90, with free shipping. Use code 101507 to save $30 (new customers only, on purchases of $70+)...combined with the free shipping the final price is under 90 bucks (as long as you're not in CA or FL or you'll have to pay sales tax).

Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm optimistic this will be a pretty dang good deal...

rated:
I decided to try out the Hoover Elite Rewind today from Best Buy. I've had a $100 gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I was curious about it, so here's what I've found:

1) It seems to pick up just as well as the Hoover Fusion. And it DOES use cyclonic suction. I witnessed the dirt tornado myself. The design inside the container is a little better as the cat hair did not get stuck around the top of the cyclonic chamber like it did on the Fusion (causing me to have to open both ends and pull the cat hair off of it each time).

2) It has a HEPA Filter (unlike the Fusion) so I'm less worried about dirt being thrown back into the air (not that I could see it blowing out with the Fusion though).

3) The cord rewind feature is awesome.

4) It is easier to take apart and put back into the box to return if necessary.

The Hoover Elite Rewind is made by LG Electronics and is actually sold in the UK under their own name:

LG Electronics Upright Vacuum

I'm wondering now who made the Fusion for Hoover? And why they blew it not including a HEPA filter.

At any rate, even though I started this thread, my Hoover Fusion went back to Wal*Mart. I could easily live with the Hoover Elite Rewind as a replacement.

rated:
i have both elite rewind and fusion, both bought around the same time. i think they are both good, but i prefer elite rewind because of the HEPA filter and cord rewind button. both suck extremely well but you all know that fusion is noted for releasing allergens back into the air. when i vacuum with fusion, i can smell something dusty, but with the rewind, knowing the HEPA filter is there is a big assurance of clean air. only thing bad about elite rewind is the short hose. it doesn't reach very far. if you have allergies, i'd go for the rewind. if you don't, maybe fusion will do.

rated:
Picked up the 4870GZ from Amazon for about $122.44 which is about $14 more than the Fusion since I do not have to pay tax.
I prefer the bagged versions over the bagless versions as in the past cleaning out the bagless vacuums were a huge pain. Also a HEPA filter is a must for me as it greatly reduces emissions and I really don't want to be breathing in more dust right after i vacuum.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14 5 67853
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014