• filter:
  • 1 2 34553
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
elgatoxl said: sklar said:
One note, unless i'm mistaken the fusion just got a 'not recommended' by consumer reports due to excessive emissions...throws dust in other words...something about something not being sealed well? I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

Thanks for that info, i'll look into it also...

Anyone found this info out? That's more important to me than super duper suction.

rated:
RobD said: Have you made the trip yet? I'm debating about jumping on this deal, but am interested in what the extra $12 might get me. I only have a WalMart close to me, so I can't check my Sam's Club until they finish building it.

Went to Sam's yesterday, seems the only difference is just extra hose for longer reach, say up a set of stairs. I wasn’t really impressed with the display, looked pretty cheap/flimsy. And the canister was a PITA to remove compared to my old Hoover Windtunnel. Needless to say, I did not pick one up, still debating…

rated:
elgatoxl said: Went to Sam's yesterday, seems the only difference is just extra hose for longer reach, say up a set of stairs. I wasn’t really impressed with the display, looked pretty cheap/flimsy. And the canister was a PITA to remove compared to my old Hoover Windtunnel. Needless to say, I did not pick one up, still debating…

Thanks for the info. $12 isn't worth 4' of hose to me, I don't have any stairs. But I do have carpet and hard floors to clean. 4 cats and a rabbit leave enough hair around the house to keep any vacuum busy. I will have to make a trip to WalMart and look at their display to see about this canister removing problem. I will also be waiting to hear about this emissions issue. Right now I use a 6yo bagged Hoover, but it is starting to show its age despite a new belt.

rated:
RobD said: Thanks for the info. $12 isn't worth 4' of hose to me, I don't have any stairs. But I do have carpet and hard floors to clean. 4 cats and a rabbit leave enough hair around the house to keep any vacuum busy. I will have to make a trip to WalMart and look at their display to see about this canister removing problem. I will also be waiting to hear about this emissions issue. Right now I use a 6yo bagged Hoover, but it is starting to show its age despite a new belt.

About the canister... the display was cabled to the shelf about 4.5' from the ground, that could be why it was pretty PITA. Lower may be easier. And I'm also interested about the emmissions...

rated:
This is exact copy of one of the original dyson's, they changed because this one tends to clog up more than dysons newer design so you will have to take the cone shaped center piece out and brush it off more frequently but, when it is clean, it actually has more suction than the current dyson, very good deal, hoover had no r and d costs since they just copied a dyson design

rated:
Slickone said: elgatoxl said: sklar said:
One note, unless i'm mistaken the fusion just got a 'not recommended' by consumer reports due to excessive emissions...throws dust in other words...something about something not being sealed well? I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

Thanks for that info, i'll look into it also...

Anyone found this info out? That's more important to me than super duper suction.

Went and dug up the magazine. Hoover Fusion U5180-900 and eureka optima 431a are Not Recommended to to release of high emissions. The hoover released some dust into the air hen tested, the eureka blew out a plume of dust when they started the tool test.

For ratings comparisons between the "cr best buy kenmore 35922", the "cr best buy eureka", the dysons and the hoover fusion, with 1 being bad and 5 being great...

Model Carpet bare floor total airflow noise emissions ease of use List Price Total Score
Kenmore 35922 5 5 4 3 5 3 $300
Eureka 4870 5 5 3 3 4 3 $150
Dyson DC15 3 5 3 3 5 3 $500
Dyson Dc07 3 5 4 2 5 4 $400
Dyson DC14 3 5 3 3 5 2 $550
Hoover Fus 3 4 3 3 1 3 $130

Worst vac they tested:

Eureka 2981 3 3 1 3 4 3 $80

Not so bad if you're only doing carpets...

rated:
I have had one of the Fusions for a year now and absolutely adore it. Having 3 cats makes for a lot of pet hair, and it does a great job. I would highly suggest this thing. Even bought one for my randmother. good price and well worth it if you have pets.

rated:
I was at a WalMart this weekend and saw this vacuum on the shelf. There were two left and I thought about grabbing one. Then I turned and saw an entire pallet full of these, so I thought I have more time to make up my mind.

There was also another Hoover there that caught my eye, the Wind Tunnel II. Does anyone have any input on this model? It costs $294, so it's not cheap, not an alternative to the Fusion I guess, but a couple things about it caught my eye:
- Self-cleaning HEPA filter cleans itself every 6 seconds to maintain cleaning power. You never have to touch or replace the filter

- Automatic brush shutoff automatically stops the brush when in the upright position

Also the belt isn't right near the edge of the brush bar so it should clean better near the edges I'm assuming. Has anyone used this model before?

rated:
I have had the Eureka 4870 for three years. Still runs perfectly. An excellent vacuum that I would recommend to anyone. Has bags but no mess when changing them. Also has auto brush shut off when the handle is raised upright.

rated:
anyone know if any others stores such as target, kmart, Sears have these ?

rated:
Streamer said: I have had the Eureka 4870 for three years. We went back and forth the past week, and pulled the trigger today on the 4870. Final factors that swung it were: $100 delivered to our door (vs. $113 + tax + gas + time, since there are now WMs close to us), and bags over bagless....

rated:
gocint said: anyone know if any others stores such as target, kmart, Sears have these ?

Nope. It's a "Wal*Mart Exclusive."

rated:
Jobronie said: Streamer said: I have had the Eureka 4870 for three years. We went back and for the the past week, and pulled the trigger today on the 4870. Final factors that swung it were: $100 delivered to our door (vs. $113 + tax + gas + time, since there are now WMs close to us), and bags over bagless....

Good move. Why anyone would want a bagless vacuum is beyond me.

rated:
this doesnt clean hardwood floors does it ?

rated:
mtcincot said: Good move. Why anyone would want a bagless vacuum is beyond me.Hey, this is FW.

Bags cost MONEY!!!!

rated:
get hard wood floors and you wont need a vacuum

rated:
From Consumer Reports as stated earlier:

Model.........Carpet bare floor total airflow noise emissions ease of use List Price Total Score

Eureka 4870.....5........5................3............3..........4............3..........$150
Hoover Fus.......3........4................3............3..........1............3..........$130

Consensus:

So the Fusion is $112.88 at WalMart= good price on a good BAGLESS vacuum

what about the Eureka 4870 at $135.64 at WalMart? DIRECT LINK A little more $$$ for a better BAGGED vacuum?
note: I may get this. It doesnt say it on the WalMart site, but Bestbuy says it comes with 6 dust bags in the box. According to Amazon reviewers, the 4870GZ is a slight update to the 4870DT, which is a WalMart exclusive for $139.23.

Quick research reveals that bagged vacuums are a MUST for families with ALLERGIES like mine and should be a concern for everyone, really.

rated:
Picked one up today. Beats the heck out of my old Panasonic. Much more suction for sure. It is a little tipsy as many reported, and a bit heavy, but it works very well. It's interesting to see what it picks up, as opposed to not being able to see what's in a bag.

Food for thought: The more abrasive a vacuum's beater brush is, the more carpet fiber it will chew/pick up. Hence people saying "wow! I can't believe how much more it picked up than my old..." However. The faster your carpet wears out.

rated:
CuriousGeorge said: From Consumer Reports as stated earlier:

Model.........Carpet bare floor total airflow noise emissions ease of use List Price Total Score

Eureka 4870.....5........5................3............3..........4............3..........$150
Hoover Fus.......3........4................3............3..........1............3..........$130

Consensus:

what about the Eureka 4870 at $135.64 at WalMart? DIRECT LINK A little more $$$ for a better BAGGED vacuum?
note: I may get this. It doesnt say it on the WalMart site, but Bestbuy says it comes with 6 dust bags in the box. According to Amazon reviewers, the 4870GZ is a slight update to the 4870DT, which is a WalMart exclusive for $139.23.

Quick research reveals that bagged vacuums are a MUST for families with ALLERGIES like mine and should be a concern for everyone, really.

Why don't you just get the 4870gz from Amazon? $150 - $25 coupon = $125 w/ free shipping and no tax. I bought this when there was a deal on it during one of their Friday sales, and this thing is pretty strong. It nearly filled up the bag when I first vacuumed the house with this. Don't know if I should be ashamed of saying that or proud to have such a strong vacuum. =/

rated:
Thanks for the tip asdf! I may just do that! My Amazon Prime is still active, too, so free 2-day shipping!

code: FALLSAVE
$25 off $125
Expires Sept 30, 2006

...if anyone else was interested.

rated:
CuriousGeorge said: From Consumer Reports as stated earlier:

Consensus:

Actually I just replaced our Eureka 4870 last Friday with the Fusion, mainly because the motor in the Eureka just burned up and of course it's out of warranty - which is actually ridiculous since we use the thing about twice a week - no reason for the motor to burn out already.

Initial impressions are almost the opposite of what CuriousGeorge shows from Consumer Reports - it picks up better on our carpet (especially the dog hair); not as well on the tile floor; and it is MUCH quieter that the Eureka (also MUCH lighter). I mainly went with this because of the price and the bag less feature - one thing is for certain, both the kids and the wife see the dirt in the chamber and toss it out immeditaly because "it's gross". In the old vac I was the one always checking the bag and often found it totally full. We'll always get better suction because the bag will never be full as in the past.
Thanks again OP!!

rated:
DAKn2 said: Actually I just replaced our Eureka 4870 last Friday with the Fusion, mainly because the motor in the Eureka just burned up

In the old vac I was the one always checking the bag and often found it totally full.
Could that maybe be why the motor burned out......?

rated:
I am glad you bought up hard wood floors. I just built a home and the entire house has hard wood floors, I use my old vacume but it sounds as though you have a better tool to clean it with. Help me? what do you use?

I have brazilian cherry and basically needs cleaning every other day... 4-5 days without vacumming and you see a very nice clear layer of dust.

any help on how to make this job easier would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

rated:
mtcincot said: Good move. Why anyone would want a bagless vacuum is beyond me.

Why? Explain your opinion or your point is meaningless.

CuriousGeorge said: Quick research reveals that bagged vacuums are a MUST for families with ALLERGIES like mine and should be a concern for everyone, really.

All I find is that an exhaust HEPA filter is recommended. If your statement is because there is potential for debris to be reintroduced back into the room when a bagless is emptied, just empty it in the garage or outside (as I do). No reintroduction.

With the 4870gz, bags are about $2 each. About how long are they good for, say with moderate use?

rated:
Tweety11 said: I am glad you bought up hard wood floors. I just built a home and the entire house has hard wood floors, I use my old vacume but it sounds as though you have a better tool to clean it with. Help me? what do you use?

I have brazilian cherry and basically needs cleaning every other day... 4-5 days without vacumming and you see a very nice clear layer of dust.

Thanks in advance.

I'd skip the upright and go with a canister. They have better suction and (most) lack the rotating brush, which just scatters debris on hardwood.

rated:
Finally gave in, bought one from WM. This thing is cool, outsucks Dysons by 13% at 1/4th the price! Anyway, we replaced our 4 yr old bagged Eureka Boss which I could not kill despite repeated attempts (need to try harder). The difference between the two is day and night. Fusion sucks way more even both are rated 12AMP, its very easy to move around both on hardwood and carpet. I did the whole house (HW downstairs/carpet upstairs) in 1/3rd the time compared to and a day after vacuuming with the old Eureka and was surprised to see whole lot of cr*p in the bucket. I am still new to the bagless thing and didn't like the way I had to empty it (now I know what that Orek dude was talking about!), however, like the idea of emptying it outdoors as someone suggested earlier. Build quality seems OK, they are all so plasticy anyway. Did not like the colors but hey..the price!

rated:
Tweety11 said: I am glad you bought up hard wood floors. I just built a home and the entire house has hard wood floors, I use my old vacume but it sounds as though you have a better tool to clean it with. Help me? what do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Try Swiffer dusters such as Swiffer Max. They pick up dirt and dust very well without blowing the dust back into the air as a vacuum will (and then settle onto your floor again). Link to Swiffer Max at Amazon

rated:
CuriousGeorge said: Quick research reveals that bagged vacuums are a MUST for families with ALLERGIES like mine and should be a concern for everyone, really.

Need to do some more research then. This bag/bagless thing is something I just dont get. We have allergies and my wife has asthma. Bags cost a lot and unless you change them about once a week you're going to be limiting your suction and leaving allergens on the ground.

I take the canister outside, open the top of the trash bin, turn the canister upside down inside the can and walk away. No dust near me, no mess, no problems. I wouldnt do it on a gale force windy day, or inside a house or apartment. But who with a brain in their heads would do that in the first place? I guess if you live in an apartment building in a city with no dumpster or outside trash bin, it'd be a problem...other than that...

rated:
One other thing for people to try. Except for vacuums that automatically set the 'brush height', which by the way usually does a lousy job, most people set and forget it. Some vacs brush and suction setups work better if the brushes are a little bit further up or a little further down than would seem prudent. I know a lot of people who break belts left and right on their vac and its because their brush height is set too low. All you want the brushes to do is remove surface hair and agitate the carpet, not grind into it. Too low a setting and you're slowing the brush and limiting suction.

Try playing with the carpet height on each type of carpet you have, you might be surprised that a higher or lower setting produces better results.

This and variances in carpet type and wear may be why some people have different experiences with the same vacuum.

rated:
Okay, either Im an idiot or I got some sort of refurb version. I just picked one of these up and it wont turn on. I connected the black connectors from the vacuum to the handle and verified its connected. It still wont turn on. Anyone have any ideas? Might I have missed something? It was the last one at the store so if I can avoid returning it, Id like to.

I'll try calling the hoover service center tomorrow if nobody has ideas.

thx

rated:
ok, trying to decide between eureka 4870 or the hoover fusion.

somebody clarify this please:

the fusion's emission problems are particles coming out of the vacuum while vacuuming, correct? this is not about when emptying the bag, right?

can fusion owners comment on the emission problem? or is this something so small that it cannot be detected in person?

could this have been just a fluke on the test model that CR used? thanks.

rated:
asianrebel said: the fusion's emission problems are particles coming out of the vacuum while vacuuming, correct? this is not about when emptying the bag, right?
Right.
can fusion owners comment on the emission problem? or is this something so small that it cannot be detected in person?
Not a fusion owner, but I really doubt Hoover would sell a product that leaks dust large enough that one can see from the naked eye. That is unless you're vacuuming in the sunlight, and you see the dust that way.
could this have been just a fluke on the test model that CR used? thanks.
I believe Consumer Reports actually tests the exact same models that are sold in-store...so it's pretty likely that their test subject would perform just as any other one on the market.

rated:
asianrebel said: can fusion owners comment on the emission problem? or is this something so small that it cannot be detected in person?

I've used mine a few times now and haven't noticed any emission whatsoever. So it is not something noticable to the human eye. I also did not find myself coughing or sneezing while or after vacuuming.

That being said, a HEPA filter (which this unit unfortunately lacks) removes at least 99.97% of dust, pollen, mold, bacteria and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 micrometres (μm) at 85 litres per minute (Lpm) (intelligence boost to that sentence courtesy of wikipedia.com). SO, we really *wouldn't* see the emissions that Consumer Reports is referring to.

You must draw your own conclusions at this point. Like I said, Wal*Mart has a pretty awesome return policy.

rated:
Dart said: Okay, either Im an idiot or I got some sort of refurb version. I just picked one of these up and it wont turn on. I connected the black connectors from the vacuum to the handle and verified its connected. It still wont turn on. Anyone have any ideas? Might I have missed something? It was the last one at the store so if I can avoid returning it, Id like to.

I'll try calling the hoover service center tomorrow if nobody has ideas.

thx

Did you plug it into a wall outlet? No really it could happen!

rated:
We have a 2 storey home and instead of having to carry the vacumm up and down the stairs, we decided to buy 2 vacuums. We have the Dyson DC7 abd the Hoover Fusion. I think the Fusion is a better vacuum than the Dyson. They both vacuu, very good and I would not say that one has better suction than the other, just that the Hoover is much lighter than the Dyson so it makes it alot easier to push the vacuum than the Dyson.

rated:
Streamer said: Also has auto brush shut off when the handle is raised upright.

I bought the 4870 at WalMart yesterday and found that the Brushroll is not working if you don't move the vacuum, even when it is not in the upright position.

May be I am mistaken about the "motorized brushroll" feature but I think it means that a motor rotates the brush and not the up and down, manual sliding motion such as with other vacuums. However, as I said this vacuum is not doing that - the brushroll is off even when the vacuum is ON and is not in an upright locked postion. Is this normal or do I have a lemon?

rated:
elgatoxl said: Went to Sam's yesterday, seems the only difference is just extra hose for longer reach, say up a set of stairs. I wasn’t really impressed with the display, looked pretty cheap/flimsy. And the canister was a PITA to remove compared to my old Hoover Windtunnel. Needless to say, I did not pick one up, still debating…

Been reading the two web pages a bit more to see the differences between the Fusion and the Fusion Plus. Looks like it is not just the 4' of hose, but also the Plus comes with the bare floor attachment (whatever that means, no picture). After looking at the Fusion manual at the Hoover site, it doesn't seem like the Fusion is really geared towards doing bare floors. I have cat litter all over the kitchen floor because my 4 cats refuse to "tap and shake" their paws until they are 20 feet away from the cat box. My current Hoover just pulls it in and shoots it out from the backside of the vacuum, no fun.

rated:
I've been telling people that if they don't like this vacuum it should be an easy return since it's Wal*Mart. I looked at it and realized that the handle needs to be removed to be put back in the box. I thought I would try to take it off and was unable to. I see the two tabs but I can't get them to push in (and a metal screwdriver would undoubtedly cause some plastic dings). I don't want to ruin it since I'm keeping it but was curious if anyone figured any easy way to get that sliding handle off?

rated:
Went and looked at the vacuum last night at WalMart. I guess the dial does have a bare floor setting. Can anybody with this vacuum tell me if the brush disengages when it is on this setting? That would keep the kitty litter from being scattered around the floor.

rated:
"May be I am mistaken about the "motorized brushroll" feature but I think it means that a motor rotates the brush and not the up and down, manual sliding motion such as with other vacuums. However, as I said this vacuum is not doing that - the brushroll is off even when the vacuum is ON and is not in an upright locked postion. Is this normal or do I have a lemon?"

If it actually is not turning when the handle is down, you have a lemon. But look at the brush itself; if you are looking through the little plastic viewing panel, it is sometimes hard to see the rotation.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2 34553
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014