• filter:
  • 12 3 4553
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm not all that happy with my Dyson, it bugs me a lot. The beater bar seems to catch more than it vacuums, and must be cleaned a lot. My wife and kids and pets have a lot of hair and it just mostly gets in the beater bar and not sucked up (probably happens to all vacs though). Also, the annoying cow catcher on the front makes it nearly impossible to clean anything bigger than a pebble without tipping it sideways or possibly going backwards all the time to pick up slightly larger debris. The corner/side pick up performance is atrocious, going along a wall it doesn't pick up anything (and won't pick up from the front either because of the cow catcher), but I can go by with my hoover cannister and it picks up fine. The hose ripped on me, that is not covered under the warranty, ~45-70 for a new one, could almost buy a new vac for that. Overall I won't buy dyson again most likely.
Thanks for the info on the hoover, I'll check it out.

rated:
hangman said: We have a 2 storey home and instead of having to carry the vacumm up and down the stairs, we decided to buy 2 vacuums. We have the Dyson DC7 abd the Hoover Fusion. I think the Fusion is a better vacuum than the Dyson. They both vacuu, very good and I would not say that one has better suction than the other, just that the Hoover is much lighter than the Dyson so it makes it alot easier to push the vacuum than the Dyson.

Don't you vacuum the stairs? In doing so you automatically transport the vacuum from one storey to the other. Sounds like another example of typically American excessive spending.

rated:
I bought the 4870 at WalMart yesterday and found that the Brushroll is not working if you don't move the vacuum, even when it is not in the upright position.

May be I am mistaken about the "motorized brushroll" feature but I think it means that a motor rotates the brush and not the up and down, manual sliding motion such as with other vacuums. However, as I said this vacuum is not doing that - the brushroll is off even when the vacuum is ON and is not in an upright locked postion. Is this normal or do I have a lemon?

The Eureka 4870 has a switch at the bottom to turn the brush on and off manually, I believe. Make sure that switch is set to the correct position.

rated:
Rang up at $98.88 at the Wal-Mart on Precient Line and Harwood in Hurst, TX. Bought one, still one left.

rated:
z0s010 said: Rang up at $98.88 at the Wal-Mart on Precient Line and Harwood in Hurst, TX. Bought one, still one left.

Got 1 at 98.88 also.

rated:
I just bought this yesterday for $112. Has the price dropped? If others are seeing this for $98, please let me know so I can get an adjustment. Thanks.

rated:
I stopped by the new Super Wal*Mart in Rosemead, CA (it's about TIME we got Super ones here) to see if the price had dropped. They only had one left (they had three two days ago) and to avoid carrying it to the price scanner I tried scanning the various bar code labels on the shelf for it (none worked). So then I grabbed the box and lugged it over to the scanner. No go..still $112 here.

When I was putting the box back on the shelf somebody appeared out of no where and said "Dude, please tell me you are NOT buying that." I was like, "woah...no, I already have one I was just seeing if the price dropped." He was thrilled that he could buy it so I asked if he had heard about it from Fatwallet. He said "no, Patrick works here and he told me to buy it." So I proceeded to tell him how good it was and that he should keep checking the price because it should be dropping to $98.88. He said "well, I need it NOW." I said he could bring the receipt back and do a pricematch when it does drop. He said thanks and asked if I worked there....heh heh "no."

At any rate, I think momentum is slowly rising on these. If you are on the fence go buy one and keep the receipt handy for a pricematch if you don't get it for the $98 price yet!

rated:
Can the people that found it for $98.88 post their locations, please? I'm curious if other parts of the country besides Texas are seeing the markdown price. Thanks.

rated:
Atrac said: Can the people that found it for $98.88 post their locations, please? I'm curious if other parts of the country besides Texas are seeing the markdown price. Thanks.

Got one at 98.88 in Maryland. The sticker on the display still has the old price, so I believe the drop is recent.

rated:
Herkimer NY 13350 is $98.88...off to get one!

rated:
Thanks OP -- Just bought one online for $98.88

rated:
Atrac said: Can the people that found it for $98.88 post their locations, please? I'm curious if other parts of the country besides Texas are seeing the markdown price. Thanks.
Austin, TX

rated:
got it for 98.88 at clearwater, fl

rated:
sklar said:
Went and dug up the magazine. Hoover Fusion U5180-900 and eureka optima 431a are Not Recommended to to release of high emissions. The hoover released some dust into the air hen tested, the eureka blew out a plume of dust when they started the tool test.

For ratings comparisons between the "cr best buy kenmore 35922", the "cr best buy eureka", the dysons and the hoover fusion, with 1 being bad and 5 being great...

Model Carpet bare floor total airflow noise emissions ease of use List Price Total Score
Kenmore 35922 5 5 4 3 5 3 $300
Eureka 4870 5 5 3 3 4 3 $150
Dyson DC15 3 5 3 3 5 3 $500
Dyson Dc07 3 5 4 2 5 4 $400
Dyson DC14 3 5 3 3 5 2 $550
Hoover Fus 3 4 3 3 1 3 $130

Worst vac they tested:

Eureka 2981 3 3 1 3 4 3 $80

Not so bad if you're only doing carpets...

If I'm reading that right, the Fusion got a 1 in emissions? Much worse than any other.
FYI, Fusetalk only shows one space no matter how many you put. Try using periods to space text apart. Also some commas or asterisks or something to separate your column headings would make them easier to figure out. But thanks a lot for the info.

rated:
CuriousGeorge said:
Quick research reveals that bagged vacuums are a MUST for families with ALLERGIES like mine and should be a concern for everyone, really.

So Dyson is full of BS? They claim the bag vacs are the ones that put dust back into the air, and that theirs do not.

rated:
RobD said: Went and looked at the vacuum last night at WalMart. I guess the dial does have a bare floor setting. Can anybody with this vacuum tell me if the brush disengages when it is on this setting? That would keep the kitty litter from being scattered around the floor.

Brush does not disengage at any setting!

rated:
Sam's Club has a ton of the Hoover Fusion Plus. Say's online only but the store had endcaps full of them. I went with this since it had the longer reach with the tools and came with the bare floor adjustment. And I saw it was $110 and the other was at $112 before.Hoover Fusion Plus

rated:
It's $98.88 on the website. Maybe it's lowered to get rid of them?

rated:
SUCCESS!!! Got the last one in Tuscaloosa, AL!

rated:
Herkimer NY store had 2 left...got one and seems to work fine.

rated:
samx said: Brush does not disengage at any setting!

Drat! I just bought one yesterday on the way home from work. Guess I'm not going to even unload it from the van. Maybe I can find someone with a Sam's membership and get the Fusion Plus for $10 more. Otherwise, I might have to just get the Eureka and hope it doesn't break.

rated:
RobD said: samx said: Brush does not disengage at any setting!

Drat! I just bought one yesterday on the way home from work. Guess I'm not going to even unload it from the van. Maybe I can find someone with a Sam's membership and get the Fusion Plus for $10 more. Otherwise, I might have to just get the Eureka and hope it doesn't break.

Good idea! Once you put the handle in it wont come out for repackaging. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and I am not able to take it out as well.

rated:
samx said: Good idea! Once you put the handle in it wont come out for repackaging. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and I am not able to take it out as well.

This is very true. My curiousity got the best of me and I wanted to see if it was really possible to remove the handle once it's installed. You can, but you have to unscrew the panel on the back near where the handles goes in, then push on tabs on the inner locking mechanism, then....you get the idea. It's definitely not designed to be removed easily once you push it in. It's a clever design to be sure, but not user-friendly for removing!

rated:
It looks awesome! I'm in for one. Hopefully the Wal*Mart near me will have it, but I'm still unsure about the emissions problem.....

rated:
Just gave it a test drive. Suction was great, much better than my old cheapo bissel. Decided to replace it due to expensive HEPA filter replacement. It sucks out a lot of DUST rather than carpet fiber than my old bissel.

Now the cons:
For me, its not usable on vinyl flooring. Runs over the dirty rather than picking it up. Also, the latch is a bit flimsy.

rated:
Price matching worked fine for me today too. Down to $98.88.

rated:
I just took a look at these at my local wally world. 2 left in stock. To me, this vacuum looks like a piece of junk. I already have the hoover Windtunnel-type model, and I cant IMAGINE for the life of me that this all plastic POS would work any better.

rated:
I bought this vacuum two weeks ago on a whim. Sure, it doesn't look the fanciest- but last time I checked the looks of a vacuum don't really matter. I think it's sleek and it definitely goes where i want it to, right up against the wall, in tight corners, etc. I have vacuumed the living room and bedrooms of the apartment I am in. It picked up so much pet hair(thank you puppy!) and dust I was amazed. I take it outside to empty it, but i imagine you could do the same in a garbage can inside. I do not agree with people saying it can't be a dyson clone, etc. I actually think it's better than a dyson(which i have owned previously) and for the price you really can't beat it. It is not at all bulky or heavy. I really suggest buying one. As a matter of fact, I'm getting them for my parents and friends as christmas gifts just because i know they work so well.

rated:
Hi I know I seldom have anything to say on fatwallet. But I am adding my information for whatever its worth. The October 2006 issue of Consumer Reports gives the Hoover Fusion a big thumbs down and it does not recommend it at all and does not even rate it and basically says it is a lousy machine.
I havent had a Hoover in years but I remember they used to be a great vacuum. I now have a great Oreck vacuum. I got luck when an online company went out of business and merged with Gaiam and I got the Oreck XL and the baby cannister for $150. Its worked great for years since. Not a bit of trouble exceot when my darlng (?) husband threw out the filter holder and we couldnt figure out why the bags kept falling down inside the machine. A visit to the repair shop solved the problem.

rated:
Allot of pros and cons found here on this vac but the wife "loves it" and thats all that matters to me. She wanted to get this "Rainbow" thing for like $450...gasp! I used it on one rug and was amazed on how much it picked up. Ugly? Not at all! Heavy! A little. Quite? Gosh it sure beats our old vac! Cheap? Yes, yes, yes!
Those who blast this must work for Dyson!

rated:
Thanks OP! Finally got a real sucker for sub-$100. I have never owned a Dyson and after using this today , I realised I definitely dont as long as I live in my current home. Seeing the dust collect in the cup and how easy it was to empty it, I am amazed. And all the hair from my carpet is GONE.

And yeah it was marked 112.xx but rung up 98.88 - Old Bridge, NJ.

rated:
Got the last one in Fairfax, VA (Fair Lakes). I'm surprised there were any left considering how Wal-marts around here hardly keep their shelves stocked.

rated:
yup picked one up for $98.88. Its fantastic! I vaccumed my room yesterday not knowing I would pass by a Wal-Mart and pick this up. I vacummed again using the Hoover and was amazed at how much it picked up. I thought I was fully cleaned yesterday but this hoover proved me wrong. For $100 its great...cant beat it and def would buy again. Im thinking about buying another one for the basement...its really simple and easy to use! Def recommend

rated:
wildferret said: Hi I know I seldom have anything to say on fatwallet. But I am adding my information for whatever its worth. The October 2006 issue of Consumer Reports gives the Hoover Fusion a big thumbs down and it does not recommend it at all and does not even rate it and basically says it is a lousy machine.
I havent had a Hoover in years but I remember they used to be a great vacuum. I now have a great Oreck vacuum. I got luck when an online company went out of business and merged with Gaiam and I got the Oreck XL and the baby cannister for $150. Its worked great for years since. Not a bit of trouble exceot when my darlng (?) husband threw out the filter holder and we couldnt figure out why the bags kept falling down inside the machine. A visit to the repair shop solved the problem.

Some of that might be true, but some of it isnt. They most certainly rate the vacuum, and rate it as a good product. They do have it, as mentioned earlier, on the 'not recommended' list due to high emissions. They never said it was a "lousy machine".

Isnt it a bit diametric to note the consumer reports rating of the hoover and then crow about a product that consumer reports has rated just so-so, the Oreck?

rated:
sklar said: wildferret said: Hi I know I seldom have anything to say on fatwallet. But I am adding my information for whatever its worth. The October 2006 issue of Consumer Reports gives the Hoover Fusion a big thumbs down and it does not recommend it at all and does not even rate it and basically says it is a lousy machine.

Some of that might be true, but some of it isnt. They most certainly rate the vacuum, and rate it as a good product. They do have it, as mentioned earlier, on the 'not recommended' list due to high emissions. They never said it was a "lousy machine".

Isnt it a bit diametric to note the consumer reports rating of the hoover and then crow about a product that consumer reports has rated just so-so, the Oreck?

Here's what Consumer reports say exactly:

In the overall test summary:

"Our tests found one model, the Hoover Fusion U5180-900, that leaked dust or broke consistently enough to be judged Not Recommended."

In the specific comments on the Hoover fusion:

"RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
Not recommended: This bagless vac emits large quantities of dust. There are better choices."

The composite score is a 50 which puts it as the 3rd to last rated vacuume cleaner out of about 40. There are models costing as low as $50 that score better (bissel powerforce).

That said the consumer reports vacuum cleaner reviews certainly do not reflect popular opinion. Favorites such as the dyson and Oreck get bested by $150 Eureka and curiously Sears/panasonic is top rated even though the kenmore salesperson at my local Sears recommened a dyson instead of the top of the line kenmore.

In another thread I postulated that this diference between the tests and popular opinion was because the consumer reports test did not include pet hair, something dyson owners rave about. In this latest review consumer reports tested several models on pet hair. The dyson was just OK, and of course the Sears/panasonic where excelent at removing pet hair.

rated:
Speaking of Dyson "Clones," I was in Linens 'N Things and saw these two vacuums:

Infinity NV30 upright vacuum

and

Infinity NV31 Extended reach vacuum

Yet another line that claims to "never lose suction." At $199 & $249, respectively, they are certainly more than the Hoover Fusion. While these probably aren't true Dyson "Clones," it certainly looks like there was some reverse engineering going on here. These have 24 mini-cyclones instead of Dyson's seven. I checked one out in the store and it worked very well on the dirty Dyson carpet they had out. One thing that is nice is there is a plug over a hole that you can put water in to clean out the cyclones. Dyson's you are not supposed to put water in to. These units also include a HEPA filter (unlike the Fusion) AND the ability to turn off the rotater brush while you use attachments.

Of course my little test in the store hardly makes me an expert on these, so maybe someone out there will be venturesome enough to give one a go? I can tell you it has the same sliding handle like the Hoover Fusion, but this one has a button that lets you easily remove it (easier to get it back in the box if you don't like it).

The units are made by Shark/Euro-pro. The website listed in the manual is http://www.infinityvac.com.

With a 20% coupon code (or use a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon in store), you can get the NV30 for $159 and the NV31 for $199.

Just thought I'd throw these out there to anyone concerned about HEPA or turning off the brush.

24 cyclones...seems excessive, no?

rated:
Atrac said: ... One thing that is nice is there is a plug over a hole that you can put water in to clean out the cyclones. Dyson's you are not supposed to put water in to.
The units are made by Shark/Euro-pro...
24 cyclones...seems excessive, no?

that seems like a nice idea to have a hose plugin to wash the cyclones...

made by shark/euro-pro... well my previous experience with euro pro bagless was not so great... their filter will clog up easily making the vaccum useless... it's also very noisy and runs very hot...

maybe they need 24 cyclones to produce the same suction power? maybe their cyclcone will clog up so they provide a hose down solution?

it's be interesting to see some review and user opinion on it... only the linen'n'things product link comes up in google search... no other info on it...

thanks for the heads up...

sg

rated:
Thanks OP. I ordered one online because I don't have a WalMart near me. I'll give it a try. I had 2 Eurekas in the past and neither of them lasted more than 2 years, so now I'll try a Hoover.

rated:
98.88 price confirmed in Bay Area CA. I picked it up at the Milpitas Wal-Mart on Saturday. Tried it and saw it picked up large amounts of dirt and hair in the cup. Much better than my 5 year old Dirt Devil and much quieter too. I am very impressed for the price of this thing. It just plain feels like it is working. I don't have much experience with the more expensive vacuums like Dyson and Oreck but for this price I am happy none the less.

rated:
I picked one up for $98.88 at the Naperville, IL store and thanks to my mom's employee disc, got it for under $90. Works well so far and its pretty light compared to some other ones.

Thanks OP

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 12 3 4553
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014