• filter:
  • 14950 51 5253
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
The only downside to the whisper:

It pulls up so much dust and dirt that I have to empty the canister after I've vacuumed every room. When I think about how slowly my old vacuum (a dirt devil) filled up, it makes me kind of sick.

rated:
Whisper is currently $89...

What does everyone here think about this $130 Shark model?
http://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Upright-Bagless-Cleaner-NV22L/dp...
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/9350588/shark-navigator-no-loss-...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Navigator-with-Premium-Pet-Acces...

Is this a Dyson clone? Reviews seems great everywhere.
I don't mind spending $130 on it if it won't be a *itch to maintain like I've read about the Hoover Whisper here.

rated:
Some Bissell rebates are active between 3/20 and 5/15 for those who might be considering a purchase.

Link to info.

Direct link to rebate (pdf)

Glad to see this thread is still active. I wish cycloneman were still around to fill us in on current models.

rated:
did u decide? Did u find any other info on this shark? They also have another model called the lift-away. Thanks.

L0thar said:   Whisper is currently $89...

I don't mind spending $130 on it if it won't be a *itch to maintain like I've read about the Hoover Whisper here.

rated:
Searching for info on a good bag-less canister, this Hoover seems to get good reviews but I really don't want an upright.

Thinking of Dyson, but $$$$$$$ yiewwwww.

EDIT: Went out today to Target and got this little guy for 150, seems to have good reviews, I've run it once so far and I do like it....
Hoover Multi-Cyclonic

rated:
nemo77 said:   did u decide? Did u find any other info on this shark? They also have another model called the lift-away. Thanks.

Decided to get the Hoover Whisper.

FatWallet knows best. I figure that if Shark was so great, someone would have mentioned it by now in this thread besides me.
Despite the numerous overwhelming positive reviews about that Shark model, I went with my instinct and saved $30.
Why pay $30 more than you have to?

rated:
Oh, man! Just when I was going to post links about how much better the newer Shark is compared to the older Whisper.

Oh, man!

rated:

I love my Shark Navigator! I've had it about 2 months now. It has fantastic suction, it's relatively quiet and relatively light weight.

My first vacumm cleaner was an Orek XL, nice and light, easy to do stairs but after many years of use it just wasn't doing the job any more, not to mention the expensive bags.

Second was a Bissell Healthy Home (1st version). Still have it, but it's relegated to the basement. It is too heavy for me, about twice the weight of the Shark, terrible to manuever around furniture. The stupid tapered dirt cup means stuff gets stuck in there and you have to reach in and empty it out with your hand.

Third vacuum is a Dirt Devil Dynamite that I got on a great black friday deal a year and a half ago. It's lightweight and easy to use, but the cord is short and it's very noisy. No attachments. The filter is kinda expensive, but I wash it a few times (even though you're not supposed to) before I finally replace it.
It works well on bare floors, so that's all I use it for since I got the Shark.

Fourth Vacuum, Shark Navigator, this thing cleans really well. I can't believe how full the dirt cup gets in one time around the house. The dirt cup is easy to empty. The cord is long enough to do the whole first floor from a central outlet. It's relatively quiet. It's easy to get around and under furniture. The attachemnts are easy to use. The only real flaw is that it doesn't pick up very well on bare floors. Oh well, since most of the house is carpeted, I can live with that limitation.

rated:
I am loving my new Whisper so far. It picks up way more than my old Hoover self-propelled Windtunnel bag vac whose belt broke every other use. Though I have to pick out some if the clumps when dumping that get stuck, I still like it a lot. And it IS quiet, which is nice when you have young kids and a dog. Happy with my purchase after 1 month.

rated:
Thought about getting the Whisper. Ended up getting the Bissell 82H1 Cleanview Helix at Sears. They matched the online price of $71.25 +tax and there is a $10 MIR. Amazon price is $79.99.

rated:
Whisper is at EOL for me after 2 years of use.. it's smelling of belt wear I think... Is this common and just belt replacement should fix it ? Or is it Shark's time

rated:
I own the Bissel equivalent. These vacuums are amazing, well worth buying.

rated:
k000 said:   Whisper is at EOL for me after 2 years of use.. it's smelling of belt wear I think... Is this common and just belt replacement should fix it ? Or is it Shark's time

What exactly are the symptoms beside the smell? I've had various "burning" smells on more than a few occasions, and always managed to correct the problem. Blockages can cause it too, so is the blockage light ever going on? Thankfully mine's still going strong for about 2.5 years now.

rated:
schwoozer said:   k000 said:   Whisper is at EOL for me after 2 years of use.. it's smelling of belt wear I think... Is this common and just belt replacement should fix it ? Or is it Shark's time

What exactly are the symptoms beside the smell? I've had various "burning" smells on more than a few occasions, and always managed to correct the problem. Blockages can cause it too, so is the blockage light ever going on? Thankfully mine's still going strong for about 2.5 years now.

Did you check the beater bar? Any plastic/fiber that gets wound around can generate tremendous friction (causing heat), and that can cause all/most of your issues. Take a pocket knife and cut out any fibers.

rated:
7Enigma said:   schwoozer said:   k000 said:   Whisper is at EOL for me after 2 years of use.. it's smelling of belt wear I think... Is this common and just belt replacement should fix it ? Or is it Shark's time

Did you check the beater bar? Any plastic/fiber that gets wound around can generate tremendous friction (causing heat), and that can cause all/most of your issues. Take a pocket knife and cut out any fibers.

I'm having the same problem - The brush won't spin at all, and there's a burning rubber smell. I cut away whatever hair/fibers I could find, but the brush is still 100% locked in place. I wasn't sure how to take it apart, so I decided to check in this thread (since this is the thread that prompted me to buy it in the first place).

rated:
Can anyone answer how these newer vacuums, i.e. Dyson, Shark, etc. compare to central vacuums in suction power? We have a central vacuum but my wife absolutely detests hauling the hose around. Me, being the "don't need another vacuum, this one is fine" advocate, is beginning to wear thin with her. My argument is, no dust and allergy issues in house, and no decreasing suction at all.

I am just not sure though that my statements are very accurate anymore? Advantages of a vacuum like the Shark, pick up and go! Maybe more intense suction and better cleaning capabilities???? I don't know any more! LOL!

rated:
Had the same rubber burning problem and replaced the agitator roll for 19 dollars and works perfectly now

rated:
.A

rated:
kubiac said:   Had the same rubber burning problem and replaced the agitator roll for 19 dollars and works perfectly now

How did you conclude it was agitator roll and not the belt ? I am thinking of replacing the belt or maybe the agitator roll (as you said).. where did you buy it from ?

rated:
Cycloneman,
I run into the Hoover WindTunnel Max Multi-Cyclonic at Costco the other day. It has 12 cyclones and it looks sturdier than Whisper. Any idea if it cleans as good as the Whisper?

rated:
I have had the Hoover Whisper over a year. Now it stopped working. The brush roll won't spin. I have cleaned it thoroughly and also replaced the belt. But it looks like the belt motor that spins the brush roll may not be working, as when I turn the vacuum on, I don't even see it spinning. Any idea on how to fix this problem?

rated:
Is the whisper discontinued? My mother in law was impressed with mine and wants one, can't find them except through third party Amazon sellers. Anyone recommend another vacuum around $100 that sucks up dirt as well?

rated:
oopsz said:   Is the whisper discontinued? My mother in law was impressed with mine and wants one, can't find them except through third party Amazon sellers. Anyone recommend another vacuum around $100 that sucks up dirt as well?

It appears that is has. Looks like I am going to go with the Shark NV22L that the other FWer said. I came back to this thread hoping someone knew of a place that still sold it.

rated:
nicemann said:   oopsz said:   Is the whisper discontinued? My mother in law was impressed with mine and wants one, can't find them except through third party Amazon sellers. Anyone recommend another vacuum around $100 that sucks up dirt as well?

It appears that is has. Looks like I am going to go with the Shark NV22L that the other FWer said. I came back to this thread hoping someone knew of a place that still sold it.

Looks like it can still be ordered from Hoover directly here for $99.99 + $8.95 S/H. Use coupon code RMN15 to knock off $15 and NEWHOOVERFS to give free shipping to bring it to $84.99 before tax.

Edited to add free shipping coupon code.

rated:
I have had the Whisper for two years. I have disassembled the entire canister and cleaned it twice. It gets really dusty/filthy. The front part the canister broke off, fixed with super glue. The rubber gasket on the bottom of the canister needs replacing. I keep the roller and filters clean. I have recently began to have a lot of the dreaded 'suction blocked' light blinking. It goes away with some tapping. The problem with this vacuum cleaner is that the suction is excellent, however all of the dust/debris eventually starts to degrade the mechanical parts. This vacuum is very high maintenance. I decided to keep my 4 yr old Bissell for backup. My old bag Hoover lasted 17 years. I replaced the belts twice. They don't make them like this anymore.

rated:
princea1 said:   I have had the Hoover Whisper over a year. Now it stopped working. The brush roll won't spin. I have cleaned it thoroughly and also replaced the belt. But it looks like the belt motor that spins the brush roll may not be working, as when I turn the vacuum on, I don't even see it spinning. Any idea on how to fix this problem?

Open the plastic cover of the bottom part of the vacuum and clean the brush roller motor. The motor might have some hair/thread stuck which might be preventing it from rolling.

This is what happened to my Hoover whisper. Opened it up and took out lots of hair that was blocking the brush motor from spinning. Also, the belt on my vacuum was gone and brush was bad. ~$20 for new brush roll and belt and vacuum is like brand new.

rated:
gssethi said:   princea1 said:   I have had the Hoover Whisper over a year. Now it stopped working. The brush roll won't spin. I have cleaned it thoroughly and also replaced the belt. But it looks like the belt motor that spins the brush roll may not be working, as when I turn the vacuum on, I don't even see it spinning. Any idea on how to fix this problem?

Open the plastic cover of the bottom part of the vacuum and clean the brush roller motor. The motor might have some hair/thread stuck which might be preventing it from rolling.

This is what happened to my Hoover whisper. Opened it up and took out lots of hair that was blocking the brush motor from spinning. Also, the belt on my vacuum was gone and brush was bad. ~$20 for new brush roll and belt and vacuum is like brand new.

I already cleaned the brush roller. But that didn't help. Are you sure the hair might be stuck in the motor, or were you referring to the roller itself?

rated:
princea1 said:   gssethi said:   princea1 said:   I have had the Hoover Whisper over a year. Now it stopped working. The brush roll won't spin. I have cleaned it thoroughly and also replaced the belt. But it looks like the belt motor that spins the brush roll may not be working, as when I turn the vacuum on, I don't even see it spinning. Any idea on how to fix this problem?

I already cleaned the brush roller. But that didn't help. Are you sure the hair might be stuck in the motor, or were you referring to the roller itself?

Yes, I meant hair stuck in the motor. To clean that, you have to open the bottom assembly and see if there is any hair stuck in the motor. The easiest way to check this is take out the brush roller and belt. Then turn vacuum on and turn brush motor on and see if the motor is spinning (you should be able to see this when the belt is out). If its stuck, then open the motor assembly and try cleaning the motor.

rated:
princea1 said:   gssethi said:   princea1 said:   I have had the Hoover Whisper over a year. Now it stopped working. The brush roll won't spin. I have cleaned it thoroughly and also replaced the belt. But it looks like the belt motor that spins the brush roll may not be working, as when I turn the vacuum on, I don't even see it spinning. Any idea on how to fix this problem?

Sounds like the common problem - I experienced this as well and somewhere back in the thread I was given the solution. You need to remove the brush roller bar, and pry the end cap off with a screwdriver or other flat object. Odds are you'll find a mess wrapped around the axle. Clean it off, snap the end cap back on and re-install the brush roller bar. Hope that solves your issue.

rated:
Are these all the same? I was about to purchase the Hoover Whisper from their website, but now see Target carries a Hoover WindTunnel - Animal.

rated:
I have to chime in that after maybe 2 years maybe only 1.5 that our Whisper still sucks (in a good way of course). I still can't figure out all the crap it seems to suck up constantly, almost seems like its sucking the pad through the carpet sometimes or just sucking out carpet fibers The wife abuses and uses it about once a week and never empty's the canister so it tends to build up but still keeps on sucking. I clean the roller/prefilter when I can and replace the little HEPA one with Arm & Hammers for $2 clearance at Wallyworld.

rated:
After going thru this thread I just ordered one from the Hoover website along with an extra HEPA Filter.
I hope it sucks

Thank you all...

rated:
Thanks for the Hoover.com promo codes Jason986. Ordered another Whisper for my girlfriend. Was shipped FedEx Ground only a day after I ordered - sweet. $84.99 plus tax.

rated:
Just realized I've had mine for 3 years now and it's still going strong.

rated:
so i have the whisper and i just picked up a dyson dc25 animal.
honestly the dyson picks up more even right after i vacuumed with the whisper.
but is it worth the extra $300 or so? i don't think so...
i am most likely going to return my dyson.

where can i buy parts for my hoover whisper?
the orange cone inside the canister fell out while i was emptying it.

rated:
I'd keep the dyson, it's also got a 5 year worry free guarantee.....

rated:
ladydi said:   I'd keep the dyson, it's also got a 5 year worry free guarantee.....
But worrying about having paid too much will last a lifetime.

I would argue buying something solely for its warranty is not really the FW way, but to each their own.

rated:
brisk3 said:   where can i buy parts for my hoover whisper?
the orange cone inside the canister fell out while i was emptying it.
parts = Hoover.com

orange or red cone = if you are referring to the center tube, this often comes loose; check out what cycloneman had to say about that here

rated:
Does anyone know if these are still available? Looks like someone purchased it today on Hoover.com but it's not coming up? Thanks!

rated:
Tarapuppy said:   Does anyone know if these are still available? Looks like someone purchased it today on Hoover.com but it's not coming up? Thanks!Links from FW won't work because Hoover.com apparently doesn't allow redirects. FW staff is looking into it but hasn't found a solution. For the time being, you'll have to manually copy & paste the URL:

http://hoover.com/products/details/u5184900/whisper-cyclonic-upright

Quick Summary on Page 1 lists two useful Hoover.com promo codes provided by Jason986.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14950 51 5253
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014