• filter:
  • 1495051 52 53
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
i just bought the whisper today off the hoover site. link doesn't work, but you can search for it. coupon codes work great! 15% off and free shipping!

rated:
Direct link to Hoover site

SECRET20SALE and PINKFSU for free shipping and 20% off: $80+tax total.

rated:
The prior links to Hoover.com are not bad. Problem is that Hoover.com does not allow redirects, which is what all links on FW automatically become. Instead of linking, just list the URL so folks can manually copy & paste:

http://hoover.com/products/details/u5184900/whisper-cyclonic-upright

also be sure to uncheck "Yes, automatically link URLs in my message" before clicking REPLY

rated:
no longer on sale at Hoover.com, now $139.99 - 20% promo code + free shipping promo code = $111.99 + tax

rated:
One thing I've found to help keep my Hoover Whisper running tip top is to take it completely apart and blow out all the nooks and crannies with compressed air. I have a compressor in my garage so it's easier for me but you could do it with a can of compressed air. Also get a pair of scissors and cut all the strings and hair off the roller. If you do this on a regular maintenance schedule you will be less likely to be breaking belts and burning out motors.

rated:
DoctorDeals said:   ladydi said:   I'd keep the dyson, it's also got a 5 year worry free guarantee.....
But worrying about having paid too much will last a lifetime.

I would argue buying something solely for its warranty is not really the FW way, but to each their own.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

rated:
After 4 years, i regret buying the mach 4. Total loss of suction even tho the filter is repeatedly cleaned. The dander also gets stuck on the top of the canister for some reason, so you can definitely tell that the suction is not as good. Wish I bought something better...

rated:
Xaven said:   brisk3 said:   where can i buy parts for my hoover whisper?
the orange cone inside the canister fell out while i was emptying it.
parts = Hoover.com

orange or red cone = if you are referring to the center tube, this often comes loose; check out what cycloneman had to say about that here

We lost our center tube and I can't find it, just that tube anywhere!! Does anyone know if that is sold alone?? Id rather not pay $45 for the entire upper section for just the tube I need when a new one is just double that!

rated:
Is this still the best model to buy? I noticed WalMart no longer has it in stock. They have other models such as the T-Series, Pet Rewind, etc. Is the Whisper still the best?

rated:
syneas said:   We lost our center tube and I can't find it, just that tube anywhere!! Does anyone know if that is sold alone?? Id rather not pay $45 for the entire upper section for just the tube I need when a new one is just double that!I'd ask Hoover directly at 800-944-9200. Let us know what you find out.

rated:
New Friends & Family 20% off coupon code (valid through Nov 14, 2011): FFSALE20

Freeshipping code (valid through Oct 31, 2011): PINKFS

rated:
I bought one a couple of years ago, it's crap. burned out within 20 uses. the technology might be good, but this implementation is not. I bought a dyson animal on a previous fw link, it's 10000% better.

rated:
brisk3 said:   so i have the whisper and i just picked up a dyson dc25 animal.
honestly the dyson picks up more even right after i vacuumed with the whisper.
but is it worth the extra $300 or so? i don't think so...
i am most likely going to return my dyson.

where can i buy parts for my hoover whisper?
the orange cone inside the canister fell out while i was emptying it.

I just did a search on this site for a dyson animal, $280 at Kohls, seriously the hoover is crap. this is a case of hype that I bought into, but your choice.

rated:
Been a big fan of the Hoover Whisper since this thread was started 5 years ago.

My 5 year old Hoover Whisper just "died" today! It was working fine one minute, I cleaned out the cannister and when I went to restart the unit, it would not power on. When I press the button for the brush-roll, it still spins no problem, but there is no suction at all.

Is this unit done for? Did I burn out that second motor? Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

rated:
One more voice here.... I'd stay away from the Hoover Whisper. I bought one (based on the advice in this thread) two years ago, and it died this month after being the most unreliable vacuum I've ever had. By the time it finally just refused to run, four separate parts had broken off, it had developed an overheating/shutoff problem, and the suction had steadily declined.

In an issue in spring 2011, Consumer Reports added all Hoover upright vacuums to its "do not recommend" list due to a much higher than average rate of reliability problems.

Anyway, c'est la vie. Considering how little I paid for the Whisper, I don't feel too unhappy with that purchase. Definitely not buying a Hoover for the replacement, though.

rated:
Really? I love my whisper. My wife managed to kill ours last night- by installing the filter upside down. Dust got into the motor.. and, well, the thing is history.

I'm a little disappointed that the price is so high -got mine for $69 from WalMart.com- but even at $139 I might just buy another one.

rated:
The Hoover Whisper is back in stock at WalMart for $85 with 97 cent shipping or free pickup.

Link

rated:
I ordered on for $85 with $.97 shipping. They are shipping it FedEx for 97 cents. Nicer than setting foot in a WalMart.

rated:
I've had a whisper for 3 or 4 years now. Still going strong. That's even after I essentially used it as a shop vac for a remodeling project.

rated:
now $79 at WalMart, plus 97 cent shipping to home

rated:
now $69 at WalMart, plus 97 cent shipping to home, after $10 MIR (purchase + postmark by 4/22)

rebate form
(note: you must manually copy & paste this URL as Hoover does not allow direct links from FW)
http://hoover.com/rebates/battle_of_the_vacs.pdf

rated:
So I've had my Hoover Whisper for 2 years now. I really enjoyed it overall. It was light and held strong suction. However, it will be retired this week after the canister took a nice drop down my stairs and shattered. My one complaint about this vacuum from the very start was the canister. It felt brittle and prone to break. My suspicions are now confirmed. Wrestling with whether to get another one especially because the price is so low right now at WalMart.
Anyone have other suggestions or alternatives?

rated:
scubasteve said:   I've had a whisper for 3 or 4 years now. Still going strong. That's even after I essentially used it as a shop vac for a remodeling project.

Shouldn't have posted this update. The bristles no longer spin on my Whisper

Currently using it on all my hardwood floors and tile tho.

rated:
The Hoover Whisper lasted less than a year with moderate usage. It picked things up like a vacuum should. But I'm disappointed that I'll have to get a new vacuum so quickly.

rated:
Our Hoover Whisper died after less than two years. Probably only used it a half-dozen times, because our main vacuum is an Electrolux. I know it was cheap, but come on--it should last longer than that.

rated:
now $75 shipped at WalMart

rated:
scubasteve said:   Shouldn't have posted this update. The bristles no longer spin on my Whisper ...Did you check the belt / End caps (bearings clogged with dirt, hair, etc...)?

rated:
after nearly 4 years now my whisper is still going strong. the hinge to the canister lid for throwing away the dust broke off within the first year when i bang it too hard on the ground while emptying it. however the locking mechanism still managed to tuck it in closed quite well as long as i dont mind getting down and dirty everytime i empty the canister to adjust it just right. my problem is now with the foam filter that looks like it's getting really ragged after many washing/drying cycles and then i dont know where to find replacement for the tiny slit of HEPA filter in the front.... it's getting smelly.

rated:
SteelRing said:   after nearly 4 years now my whisper is still going strong. the hinge to the canister lid for throwing away the dust broke off within the first year when i bang it too hard on the ground while emptying it. however the locking mechanism still managed to tuck it in closed quite well as long as i dont mind getting down and dirty everytime i empty the canister to adjust it just right. my problem is now with the foam filter that looks like it's getting really ragged after many washing/drying cycles and then i dont know where to find replacement for the tiny slit of HEPA filter in the front.... it's getting smelly.

Might check your WalMart clearance section if your store has one. I bought like 4 of them on clearance for $2/ea.

rated:
now OOS at WalMart

rated:
After 3.5 years of faithful service, we finally put our Whisper out to pasture two weeks ago. We were moving, and by that point, the attachment brush, trap door on the dirt bucket, and the handle had all broken. Despite this, it still worked fine, but it was time for a new one.

I was eager to buy another once we were in the new place, but WalMart had them no longer. So I started researching, and I think I found one that is a worthy addition to this thread: the Hoover Remedy.

Reviews are good, and this one has twelve cyclones (from what I can tell, most of the cheaper cyclonic vacs have one or two). WalMart has them on clearance right now for $99 with free shipping, and FedEx got ours here in two days. I will report findings once I have a floor dirty enough to warrant vacuuming (they just installed new carpet in the apartment we moved into). Build quality and features already are better than the Whisper.

I sure wish cycloneman were still around.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1206375

rated:
My early reviews on the Hoover Remedy are extremely positive overall.

I could not believe the amount of dust this thing got up from a small area of carpet that was very recently installed. It was definitely dust and not carpet fibers, although those were certainly present too. Overall, I was quite impressed. My wife also noted how easy it seemed to push. It also has better features than the Whisper (upholstery attachment, better wands, fold down handle for storage, only one filter to clean instead of two). It is louder than the Whisper, but not obnoxiously so.

What I will only be able to tell with time, I think, is how effectively the 12 cyclones are separating the dirt prior to reaching the filter. I know by the end of the Whisper's life, I was having to wash the foam filter VERY frequently to prevent red blockage lights from flashing. Of course, I probably should have just replaced it and was too cheap to do so since I knew I wouldn't have it too much longer. With that said, the Remedy doesn't even have that filter, and the fine-ness of the dust I noticed in the canister gave me much hope things should be better.

A scare occurred when one short fall onto linoleum caused the upholstery attachment to completely fall apart. Thankfully, I was able to re-assemble it easily enough.

Now my favorite part. The older apartment complex we are living in until we find a house had a cockroach crawling around yesterday. Knowing we saw him, he quickly hid in an impossible to reach location in a corner between trim and the wall. Giddily, I got the vacuum, put the hose in the corner, and turned it on.

Remedy 1
Hiding cockroach 0

rated:
mintfresh said:   So I've had my Hoover Whisper for 2 years now. I really enjoyed it overall. It was light and held strong suction. However, it will be retired this week after the canister took a nice drop down my stairs and shattered. My one complaint about this vacuum from the very start was the canister. It felt brittle and prone to break. My suspicions are now confirmed. Wrestling with whether to get another one especially because the price is so low right now at WalMart.
Anyone have other suggestions or alternatives?

Exactly what just happened to our Whisper. So now we are on the hunt too.

rated:
try here
Hoover Whisper for sale

Our Whisper is still running but the hinge on the canister door broke off -- seems to have been a common problem.

rated:
Reading the last ~100 replies and the reviews on Amazon, I'm not sure I'd buy this should it ever come back in stock. However, is there any standout alternative that doesn't cost $100+?

The root cyclone tech looks neat and I'm sure it filters very well, but how much of a practical difference does it make versus the standard dual cyclone models around $50-60?

rated:
The Hoover website is offering free shipping until December 14, 2012. Use the promo code SHIPHOLIDAY. Great if you need consumables like HEPA filters or belts. They also have a one day sale today (12/12/12) on a few of their vacuums and carpet cleaners.

rated:
Well - the Hoover Mach 5 I bought after reading this thread four years and three months ago is finally dying on me. Trying to figure out what to go with next. I'm leaning towards going with one of the Dyson models. Expensive - yes, but pretty consistent positive reviews from people. Anybody got any other advice? My main need is pet-hair on rugs and some hardwood floors (but most-importantly, rugs) in a mid-sized apartment.

rated:
My three yr old Whisper's blocked light is on continuously. Does anyone have a fix for this?

rated:
Retailnever said:   My three yr old Whisper's blocked light is on continuously. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Do a search for "blocked" in this thread. Quite a few messages come up. It sounds like it could be several things. Did you wash the motor filter and cap yet? Let us know what you find.

rated:
thats great I luv this
Atrac said:   *UPDATED* Special thanks to cycloneman for his continued contributions to this thread!

Be sure to check your local Wal*Mart for the Hoover Whisper! This is probably THE Dyson Killer! It's now $98.86 and the model number is U5184-900. (Thanks cycloneman!!!) http://www.WalMart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10258692

If you're looking for the Hoover Fusion thread, it's still this one. I've changed it though to reflect the new Hoover Whisper and now older MachX Series (Mach3 and Mach5). They are newer versions of the Fusion (the Fusion is discontinued).

Hoover Whisper - Now $98.86 !!(Online and B&M) <--- The one to get!!

Hoover Mach3 - $89.94 (Online and B&M) <---virtually identical to the fusion, though hopefully with better emissions (untested by Consumer Reports yet).

Hoover Mach5 - $168.44 (Online and B&M) <---adds a HEPA Filter, Longer Cord that Auto-Rewinds, and an On/Off Brush Roll control for bare floors.

Hoover Fusion - $61.19 Shipped @ Amazon -- Price Fluctuates

These are definitely designed to give Dyson a run for its money, and at a considerably lesser price.

Please posts your comments on these models if you buy one! Thanks to clb4g9 for alerting us to the new model Mach3!

The below information is my original post on the Hoover Fusion, which is now discontinued.

Your store may have lowered the price to $98.88. Online price was confirmed @ $98.88 but it is no longer on their website.
Sam's Club has the Hoover Fusion Plus - Must choose instore pickup to view it for $109.86. It is green and blue, has a longer hose, and a bare floor attachment.

An identical unit is sold at Home Depot under the Maytag Legacy name (Maytag owns Hoover). It is currently selling for $119.99 and is similar to the Hoover Fusion Plus, although it is purple and silver in color.

I'll start off by saying that I've found people's opinions on vacuums vary A LOT. Any time a vacuum thread starts here the arguments begin. I've yet to read a review of a vacuum where EVERYONE agrees. I am only posting this to let people know that this particular vacuum is out there and "I" consider it a hot deal.

Wal*Mart has been selling the Hoover Fusion Cyclonic Vacuum for about a year now. It was originally $128.88 but the price has dropped in typical Wal*Mart "Rollback" fashion to $112.88. Hoover Fusion at Wal*Mart.com It is exclusively available at Wal*Mart (test marketing?).

I decided to purchase this vacuum mainly because there have been a few "unconfirmed" reports on several review sites that it is based on the Patent for the original Dyson DC-01. From what I've read Dyson either let the patent expire or they forgot to renew it (forgot? Unlikely if you ask me), and Hoover swooped in and bought the Patent and released this Fusion.

My first thought was BS, simply because it didn't seem like it could be true. Never-the-less I bought one and so far, I'm sold. I used an Oreck on my carpet that hadn't been vacuumed for a week (which includes the "remains" of my two cats that love to track their litter around). After I was finished, I setup (very easy) the Hoover and let it do it's thing. It proceeded to pick up a LOT more hair, dirt, dust, etc., than the Oreck.

I've cherished my Oreck, but I'm going to sell it and stick with this Fusion. I've used a Dyson before (returned it simply because I'm cheap and had buyer's remorse) and this puppy immediately brought back memories of it. While I have no proof that it's a Dyson in Hoover's clothing, I will say that if any concrete evidence is ever brought forward that it is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. If I still had the Dyson to do the same test I did with the Oreck, I'd be even more convinced. But from what I have seen from it, I'm sold.

Yes, it's supposedly based on an older Dyson design, so it's not like you're buying the Dyson technology that's available now. But you are buying in my opinion a heck of a vacuum for a little over a hundred bucks.

epinions.com reviews of the product. As always, pretty mixed. Like I said, it's hard to nail down a vacuum with 100% positive reviews.

From what I understand, Consumer Reports gave it a bad review. But they gave the Dyson a bad one too.

I say with Wal*Mart's very liberal return policy, we can decide how hot of a deal this is.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1495051 52 53
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014