• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is a follow-up to an incredible deal first brought to the attention of FW'ers by FW-member Sness back in December.

Ancestry.com US Deluxe and World Deluxe Memberships are EXPENNNSIVE. But ultimately if you are serious about online genealogy research, it is an important and incredibly useful resource. The US version typically costs $155.40/year or $29.95/month. The World version typically costs $347.40/year or $39.95/month. Youch! It's certainly a worthwhile investment, but it is far from obtainable for many. And though they occassionally have deals making the costs a bit less, they are nothing quite like this find here.

As Sness said in the initial post, Although I've been using the site for a LLOONNGG time, I have NEVER seen this offer
Initially we had to use different browsers, repeatedly delete cookies and keep hoping that clicking on a link from one page would take us to the one we wanted. No more - we found direct links - and no more jumping through hurdles to get them.

Edit:
NOTE: It is unclear whether upon renewal if the price reverts to the "then current" pricing or if you retain your cheapo rate. There are differing reports, but I believe you retain your reduced subscription rate. And if not I'm sure that it could still be finagled with customer service when you re-up.

So without further ado...

MEMBERSHIPS

US Deluxe - $47.40 yearly
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:8117:0

World Deluxe - $95.40 yearly
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:8118:0

US Deluxe - $6.95 monthly
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:8124:0

World Deluxe - $11.95 monthly
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:8125:0

TRIALS
(Fair warning - Ancestry is notorious for being difficult to part ways with after their trial periods end. If you truly want to cancel, YOU must be responsible for doing so, not them.)

US Deluxe - 1 year free trial
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:7582:0

World Deluxe - 6 months free trial
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:8037:0

UK Deluxe - 1 year free trial
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:7975:0

Canada Deluxe - 30 days free trial
https://secure.ancestry.com/subscribe/welcome21.aspx?offerId=0:7793:0

Another note, Sness initially reported finding the US membership for $34.95/year or $4.95/month and the World membership for $95.40/year or $7.95/month. Aside from the annual World membership, they seem to have vanished and we haven't been able to find these links.

As can be seen in the URLs above, they follow a pattern, all ending in "=0:XXXX:0" with the X being a number.
I have searched thru 7500-8301, and posted only those links that are not duplicate, dead, confusing, misleading or more expensive nor their other individual miscellaneous offerings.

If anyone is so inclined to help out and do some additional poking around (URL hacks), choose a specific range to test and then post a reply with the link if you find an even cheaper offer. If nothing is found, then just post the range you searched so others won't repeat it. The URLs range from somehwere around "100" up through "10900" or so. But don't be put off by that- most are junk and easily swept through.

FYI, it is helpful to sign in at one of the resulting screens - you will get a more descriptive explanation of what the offer is. When doing so though, it may serve you well to use a "throw-away" email address - you can get as many free addresses as you like at hotmail.com

Thanks again to Sness for first finding this. For those of us who are genealogy buffs, this is BIG.
And definitely check out Sness' original post - some good feedback from FW'ers who got in on this and what they were able to find.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just called in and they noted my account that I should get the $95.40 when my trial ends, they just said that I had to... (more)

kg4dkf (Feb. 19, 2007 @ 11:33a) |

Any updates which might see other discounted rates?

I missed out - couldn't convince my SO sign up back in Feb, now she w... (more)

Overzeetop (May. 08, 2007 @ 7:12p) |

I just canceled the six month trial subscription. It took less than 30 seconds over the phone.

retire35 (Jun. 20, 2007 @ 5:23p) |

Free trial requires credit card.

note that I am not providing a link that will benefit me, but there are places to sign up for ancestry as a trial that can get you free things.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Green for an incredible effort in checking the URLs and writing up the post.

I'm sure I can find the answer at ancestry, but a quick note from someone who knows about the US vs. world membership and whether they have enough info in the world section to make it worthwhile would be helpful.

Also, is the trial crippled in terms of features, ability to save work, etc?

buzzy said:
I'm sure I can find the answer at ancestry, but a quick note from someone who knows about the US vs. world membership and whether they have enough info in the world section to make it worthwhile would be helpful.

whats the use.. in the end everyone will have the same ancestor. Apes

Zaanwar said: whats the use.. in the end everyone will have the same ancestor. Apes

But which apes? I'm hoping I'm part of the cool ones.

We all know our ancestry.Text

Thanks OP I went with the World Version for 6 months free. I copied the cancel program details which I will post here:

We hope you enjoy Ancestry.com.To avoid being charged the annual fee of $299.40 once your free trial ends, US members call us at 1-800-558-0078. For contact information for non-US members click here.

To ensure uninterrupted service of Ancestry.com, your annual subscription of $299.40 will be automatically renewed in one year from the time your free trial ends and your paid subscription begins.

I plan to follow that as I do not need more than 6 months. Thanks again OP.

Will try a US membership. I have been spending some time on this and have been able to get lots of data via the library and rootsweb. I would like to do a year US then upgrade to a year of world later, but who knows if this will be available then. doing the research is like waiting for paint to dry.

one note for those interested, get the geneology software, they have links straight to alot of the web sites. determine where your state archive is and request as much of the birth, death, marriage certificates as you can then jump into this

Passed this on to my mother. She'll be signing up for the World Deluxe later today. Thanks OP!

Hey Buzzy,
All of Ancestry's trial memberships are full-featured - nothing crippled, hobbled, degraded, or otherwise restricted
~Porterlu

buzzy said:

Hi Buzzy,
Yes, it's especially helpful if you have UK ancestors, they have every available census back thru 1841 for most of the UK..also, the Hamburg and other Eastern European ports departure lists are up for those with Eastern Euro roots.

No, it's not and you can even save images to your 'puter. It's a really good free trial.

Also, major thanks to Porterlu for finding the URL's for my original deal post! I just hope this doesn't get thrown back for being a duplicate post!
Snessy

Hiya Porterlu,
One thing I should mention, when I last spoke to a CSR at Ancestry in early January, he said the renewals would be at the "then current" pricing and said it was a shot in the dark as to whether an annual subscription would renew at the el cheapo rate or the full rate..SO..just fair warning. You might want to edit that part of your post as I'm no longer certain it is still true that we get to keep the discount rates at renewal
Snessy

buzzy said: .... US vs. world membership and whether they have enough info in the world section to make it worthwhile would be helpful.

first question:
all depend where your family comes from. Mine [actually, my spouse's] came from main land Europe, mostly France-Germany-Switzerland, so I don't have any use for the World Collections. YMMV

US Collections
Access U.S. census, birth, marriage, death, immigration, military records, and more.

World Collections
Explore historical records from the United Kingdom, Ireland and other locations around the globe.

[the other locations, I believe is Canada]

2nd question: about the trial . It's just like the regular sub.

It is crippled in a way : you will soon find out it is not enough time to do a serious study.

I had a lot of work lined-up & ready to go from years of free use [tracking down all the misspelling in indexing is the most time consuming]

To give you an idea: I paid around Dec 19 - about a month. In that time, I have downloaded close to a thousand census PIX. It's only the tip of the iceberg.
That's one of the 2 reasons I never went for the free trial at usual price. Much too short.

I see you beat me to an answer to Buzzy. I did not see your post.

Sness said: .... the renewals would be at the "then current" pricing
I was pretty sure that will me the case. It was in the fine prints.
I better rush then , more to download.

GEEEEZ...I just realized that one of Porterlu's links is to a ONE YEAR FREE TRIAL...you gotta be KIDDING me..kill me now..
Sness

Hey Mikebeets,
Have you seen the free download for a PDF tool that lets you print/save your images to a PDF file that you can manipulate? It's been on several threads here and it's very cool especially because it works for the images that have no "SAVE" button...here's the link:

PDF995

Man, you'd better get an external HD to hold all this stuff, LOL!

Snessy

The info is there somewhere but I think the World version is definitely worth it if you intend to look outside of the US for ancestors, roots or even relatives. They have massive databases with high-res copies of original documents from all over the world that you can browse online - immigrations, international census, country and region-specific histories and family histories, international user-made family trees and forums, etc. This is not just for those of European descendency (although it does seem to be the most heavily documented) - there are large databases for the Jewish diaspora, African ancestry (including slave trade records, but I think the US version does too), Asia and South America, and I believe has histories of indigeonous peoples worldwide too. And remember, this version, not the US version, includes Canada and Mexico. It would be nice if the US Deluxe was the North America Deluxe, but it isn't.

Ultimately if you have the thought of getting it but don't know what they really have in relation to your needs, try the 6-month free trial instead and see if they have what you would want and need from a service that covers genealogy world-wide.

Hopefully they won't see this post, get mad and remove or change the links.

I used to work for Ancestry.com/Myfamily.com

I knew all the deals you could get even through special groups. They have never discounted like this before. I can affirm this is a great deal.

For what it is worth, this company puts your sub right back into the company. They spend mucho $ on new records, photocopying, indexing, and technology. They are working hard now in non-traditional countries to start geneological efforts as well.

I am actually kind of bored with it myself though.

Hot deal though.

Does anyone know if you can do this if you already have a membership? My parents already purchased a 1 year membership but I know they'd love to get an additional year for only 95.00. Thanks

Hi Dandrum5,
I doubt that they would allow your folks to extend an existing membership at such a deeply discounted future price..but>>>> RULE ONE, Whatever you do, DON'T CALL AND MENTION ANY OF THIS THREAD TO ANCESTRY.COM!!!
If you call, simply inquire as to whether any discounts are available for extending an existing membership beyond its renewal date. Don't want to spoil this for any potential new subscribers!

Sness

looks interesting.
for someone who is new to all this which would be the best and easiest for a beginner?

For a beginner, I'd recommend going for the 1-year free trial to the US membership. That way you can get familiar with the whole notion of genealogy research for free before commiting to something long term.

camman97 said: ... this company ... spend mucho $ on new records, photocopying, indexing...
I have just downloaded [slow modem] 28 census PIX which have been so badly copied that 3/4 of each page is black. Nothing to do with original - you can see by the way they look. Bad copy.

Indexing:

At the beginning: I reported all the errors.
I gave up: for some census, it looks like they randomly picked-up people on a page and "reconstructed" families.

I was doing some research for an old cousin of my father:
in the 1930 census - her mother, herself & her sister are indexed under the neighbour's name.

Then, I saw worse: pages after pages where each kid is given to a random family, some spouses are bigamists,..etc...

That's why I cannot hope to find everything I am after. PIX -if legible - are the only answers.
To get whole townships in 1790 was a breeze - getting to 1900 is tougher - people have the bad habit of over breeding

Thanks for the info on "free download for a PDF tool" - I will check that.

By the way: I have never met a picture that could not be saved (Ellis Island for example - I get them out of the temporary files)

Just passed this along to my mom! Thanks OP!

You rock! Signed up for the US and UK trial. I have paid full price for both of these for years and finally had to give them up. Fantastic!

Scully

Where were you all our lives porterlu?

[Q= said: mikebeets]camman97 said: ... this company ... spend mucho $ on new records, photocopying, indexing...
I have just downloaded [slow modem] 28 census PIX which have been so badly copied that 3/4 of each page is black. Nothing to do with original - you can see by the way they look. Bad copy.

Yes, there are alot of errors and problems accross the board in Historical Research. Most of these things were purchased from other companies who did do a bad job. (Ancestry has purchased anyone that achieves even 10% of their sales.) They will be worked on in the future.</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>

WOW...fantastic deal on the one year free trial OP!!! Thanks!!

This is the same website used by the Family History Centers. Free to use at Mormon churches listed at the link above.

Signed up for 6-month international. Thanks OP!

I just signed up for 1 year. Looks like this deal is still going strong!

Signed up for the 6 month world trial. Is this site any good? I started off searching myself and my parents and it couldn't find any of us. Not a great start.

Hi UKOK,
It's a really great resource IMHO! There are 2 VERY important things to know when starting your research, #1, the US Census records are only available thru 1930 right now, so if you & your folks are younger than that, you won't be in the census, but birth, marriage, death, newspaper announcements, directories & other info may be available as well as census info for grandparents & other relations. The #2 REALLY important thing is that MANY times the original census records which are handwritten (often after the fact or from second hand info by the census takers) are hard to read and not always 100% correct. So when volunteers read the original info and transcribe it for the online index, there is the potential for LOADS of spelling and input errors by both the census taker and the transcriber. Be sure to search using various spellings, putting first names last and last names first and don't check the "EXACT SPELLING" box on the search form. Look for grandparents, siblings and other relatives in areas and years you believe they lived. It took me a LLOONNGGG time to locate my families' records as they were recorded as having come from Schliessen(??) instead of Ireland because the handwriting was so bad, LOL. Because spelling just wasn't important for immigrants in those days, my family name was spelled totally differently from what I know and it varied from year to year as well as from family to family..and that is NORMAL! Good luck, don't give up..if you're persistent you'll discover so much about your roots!!
Snessy

Signed up for the free 1 yr trial. Thank you!

I thought you could get ancestry free at your local library!

Is there a difference between this membership and the one libraries usually have?

Yeah it doesnt allow you to save personalised info since your using a multi user account.

Also you may not have remote access to the librarys account.

note that there are places u can sign up for ancestry.com and get paid for it. NOT providing links or doing anything to benefit me with this post

Sweet! I signed up for a year's trial. Thanks OP!

Sness said: ... the original census records which are handwritten ..... not always 100% correct.
and Ancestry made it worse by doing an awful indexing work.
In many cases, it looks like they randomly pick-up people on a page and "reconstruct" a family. I started to report these errors at the beginning - now I just gave up.

So, keep that in mind when looking for a couple, example:

John SMITH - wife Mary SMITH , they may have them indexed as
John SMITH - wife Anna MILLER , Mary SMITH - husband Albert JONES, and the children scattered among other couples.

Same thing about place of birth: Switzerland is often indexed as Sweden and Swaziland [!!!!]
Very frustrating at the beginning.

One other thing: keep away from OneWorldTree until you understand VERY WELL what it is.

Skipping 8 Messages...
I just canceled the six month trial subscription. It took less than 30 seconds over the phone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014