• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just left Lowes with (6) 25 lb. bags of Pennington Tall Fescue Marked $22 and change but rang up at 8.12 a bag.

I'm guessing these were confused with 10 lb. bags or something.

-'course I'll probably blow all my savings buying fertilizer for it now, eh, at Lowes! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border=0>



Oh, yeah: SKU# 93074 25LB KY31 Penkot Grass Seed.


Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Green for the deal, although I am not really a fan of KY31. It's a rather coarse cultivar, and not the nice deep green I like. It's a decent seed though, and that price for a fescue is very good. It'll do well enough in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Claymore said: [Q]Just left Lowes with (6) 25 lb. bags of Pennington Tall Fescue Marked $22 and change but rang up at 8.12 a bag.

I'm guessing these were confused with 10 lb. bags or something.

-'course I'll probably blow all my savings buying fertilizer for it now, eh, at Lowes! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border=0>



Oh, yeah: SKU# 93074 25LB KY31 Penkot Grass Seed.what type of lawn would this seed work well? hot/sun/shade?

Where is the Lowes where you purchased the seed located?


That you are right my friend, but with 2.25 acres to overseed, I beleive bluegrass would bankrupt me for good.

<img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border=0>

$32.50 at my lowes

bigghek said: [Q]Where is the Lowes where you purchased the seed located?

48197

neo2299 said: [Q]Claymore said: [Q]Just left Lowes with (6) 25 lb. bags of Pennington Tall Fescue Marked $22 and change but rang up at 8.12 a bag.

I'm guessing these were confused with 10 lb. bags or something.

-'course I'll probably blow all my savings buying fertilizer for it now, eh, at Lowes! <img src="i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border=0>


Oh, yeah: SKU# 93074 25LB KY31 Penkot Grass Seed.

what type of lawn would this seed work well? hot/sun/shade?

Full sun or part shade. Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, etc.. anywhere bluegrass would do well.


wonder if lowes matches prices from other lowes

This may be a dumb question, but how long should this seed keep in a basement or garage? I live in the MidWest and would like to stock up for when I seed in the Spring time (probably around late March or April). I missed the pre-winter opportunity, as there is snow everywhere now. Does anyone have experience or advice to share? I'm going to check this out later tonight I think. Thanks.

Great deal! Too bad it's not available here. Green for you, OP!!

joeyjoejoe said: [Q]This may be a dumb question, but how long should this seed keep in a basement or garage? I live in the MidWest and would like to stock up for when I seed in the Spring time (probably around late March or April). I missed the pre-winter opportunity, as there is snow everywhere now. Does anyone have experience or advice to share? I'm going to check this out later tonight I think. Thanks.

I found this from Yardcare.com:
While unused grass seed may remain viable for years, its rate of germination will decrease over time. Be sure to keep seed stored in a cool, dry environment. To maintain optimum viability, the rule of thumb for storage is that the temperature and the relative humidity added together should be less than 100.

Unless your lawn already contains a mix that includes tall fescue, do not purchase seed with tall fescue in it. Most midwestern lawns already have tall fescue in the mix (many builders seed with KY31), but if you have a lawn that was originally sodded or you have shyed away from tall fescue, don't start now just because it is cheap. You will regret it when your lawn looks like it got a bad haircut 4 days after you mowed.

I have found that each lowes has the ability to price clearance items differently. Even in Austin I find HUGE differences in clearance prices and whats on clearance just between north/south austin locations

Just a word to the wise...

Keeping grass seed in your garage in the winter provides an all you can eat smorgasbord for mice. Trust me. They love the stuff. So just be careful. Good deal, though.

computerquest said: [Q]Unless your lawn already contains a mix that includes tall fescue, do not purchase seed with tall fescue in it. Most midwestern lawns already have tall fescue in the mix (many builders seed with KY31), but if you have a lawn that was originally sodded or you have shyed away from tall fescue, don't start now just because it is cheap. You will regret it when your lawn looks like it got a bad haircut 4 days after you mowed.

Excellent advice. Cheap definitely does NOT equal better when it comes to grass seed. There's the kind of grass seed that the plant along the highway, and then there's grass seed you'd want in your front yard.

If you want to know what works best in your area and get a decent price, pick up a bag of Scott's at your local store, read the label carefully to see what kind of seed it contains, and then find some other less expensive brand that contains something similar. Scotts.com is an excellent resource.

Moreover, grass seed is definitely regional, although you'll likely not find stuff at your local store that wouldn't grow in your area of the country.

If you want a lawn which is the envy of your neighborhood you should educate yourself about grass seed. KY31 is like straw it looks and feels horrible. You can read all the performance tests for all the different seeds available at the National turfgrass site NTEP . The easiest most valuable thing you can do is learn how to read the required seed label on every bag of seed.

cheaperndirt said: [Q]Just a word to the wise...

Keeping grass seed in your garage in the winter provides an all you can eat smorgasbord for mice. Trust me. They love the stuff. So just be careful. Good deal, though.

I hope that they ate the ten pounds that disappeared from my garage. I fear that I'll be finding it stashed in all sorts of places.


skidmark said: [Q]cheaperndirt said: [Q]Just a word to the wise...

Keeping grass seed in your garage in the winter provides an all you can eat smorgasbord for mice. Trust me. They love the stuff. So just be careful. Good deal, though.

I hope that they ate the ten pounds that disappeared from my garage. I fear that I'll be finding it stashed in all sorts of places.

When your attic turns into a botanical garden you'll know...



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014