• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So I called up DirecTV to see if I could upgrade my equipment and/or service to see what I qualified for. I don't think this is a published promotion as I couldn't find it anywhere on this site, but it's great since it applies to EXISTING customers, like myself. I was able to order a DVR receiver and, once installed, will receive a $100 instant rebate. I will also be getting 6 months of DVR service for $.99/month (normally $5.99).

Wanted to pass this along as it's not often there are deals for existing customers. I asked for the # to the department I was trasferred to. I'm not sure if this is a "retentions" department or what, but when I called back and confirmed, it was indeed notated in my account that I'm receiving this offer. Hope this helps out. I think it's quite likely that you can receive this or even more depending on length of service you've had with DirecTV. I've only been a customer since July 06, so by no means am I a long-standing customer.

Call 1-800-824-0739

Rate green for others please.

P.S.--Do not think that I committed to any longer contracts to get this, but it's possible. As always, YMMV.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have two of the TiVo HD Recievers(HD10-250) one about 2 years old and the other about a year. They will not be able t... (more)

jpnev (Sep. 01, 2007 @ 4:08p) |

I was still under contract for another year. Also they let me keep both Directv HD Tivos (one is owned and one is lease... (more)

jpnev (Sep. 01, 2007 @ 4:11p) |

For all the desi Directv subscribers having Hindi Direct 1 service.

I have been with Directv since April 2006. I called l... (more)

Chitu (Oct. 08, 2007 @ 9:39a) |

This is a new type of DVR. If you are used to the TiVo you have had for years, it is nothing like it. It is different and if you don't like change, even though it is 80 hours worth of recording time, don't bother.
Also, it does require a commitment of a year. I think the OP was so new, they gave it to him since he qualified. You will not get this unit w/o commiting a year, or close to it left on your contract.

Any DVR or HD receiver requires a TWO YEAR Commitment, regardless of what they tell you. You've been warned - If you are in a commitment, you will start a new two year term from the date you place the order.

Note that the commitment is ONLY for the base Total Choice. You can downgrade to it, but must maintain it for the contract. They will make you get a one year HD package. They will most likely offer you a credit for the difference (it costs $10 more) or make the component free. You may drop it at any time though as the contract conditions is only for the base Total Choice...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you read the complaints about DirecTV before you order. They arbitrarily send you to collection no matter what. BE AWARE! They are very annoying. It's not a single case.

Google DirecTV collection calls
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great deal for existing DirecTV customers... and no extension of service commitment... offers like this are certainly uncommon!

Yeah, not common at all. Also, if others can post whatever deals they get and how long they've been customers, can help out others get a deal as well and gauge what is possible to ask for.

I just called and was told in order for any DVR promotions I would have to extend my contract for 2 years.

I have been with Direct TV since June '05 and am not under any contracts with them now. I have one DVR and was looking to upgrade my other receiver to a DVR.

No luck here.

DirecTV has good specials if you happen to talk to the right people

I just switched to DirecTV complitely. Had Comcast before and my bill doubled with them (went to $88.95 from $44.95 just for the Comcast portion). They didnt want to offer anything good so I switched and pay about the same I did before and no contact extensions or commitments

Comcast digital cable 2 rooms with HBO/Encore: $44.95
DirecTV International with Base Package 2 room: $44.95
------------------------------------------------------
Total $89.90 plus tax

now

DirecTV 3 rooms: $59.97
International: $29.99
HBO: $2.00 ($10 Statement Credit for 6 months)
Starz/Encore: Free (3 months)
Showtime/TMC: Free (6 months)
3rd room installation is free as well
-----------------------------------------------
$91.96 plus tax

I called retentions last week and got the following:

Free HR20 (Hi-Def DVR)
Free 5 LNB Dish
Free Multiswitch
Free installation
Free Sowtime for 6 mos
Free HD service for 12 mos
10 off service for 12 mon
10 off HBO for 6 mos

I did have to pay 19.95 for shipping (for something, I'm not sure what). I also had to renew my K for 2 years. I've had service for 4 years.

This deal is similar to others as reported in these forums.

I'd bet you did not know you "renewed". I've read a number of times folks post deals and then find out latter that they did NOT realize they had just committed to a year or two of service for the freebies. But hey, lets be realistic, like you said, you have not had service long, why would they want to just give anything away? Just something to think about. I hope you get the stuff for free OP, but.......

Bozo said: I'd bet you did not know you "renewed". I've read a number of times folks post deals and then find out latter that they did NOT realize they had just committed to a year or two of service for the freebies. But hey, lets be realistic, like you said, you have not had service long, why would they want to just give anything away? Just something to think about. I hope you get the stuff for free OP, but.......

Honestly, I wouldn't care even if I did. I signed up with a 2 yr committment anyway, what's an extra 6 months for a free DVR? I didn't get DirecTV to get rid of it in the next year or 2. Even with a 2 year committment, this is still pretty decent. The only thing I would be wary of is if your contract is up or almost up....then I would think you could squeeze more out than just a DVR upgrade.

As always YMMV and everyone's situation is different, but there are worse things than extending a contract.

I was recently offered new DVR's and a smaller discount than you. I did not take it because I have the DirecTivo's and have heard such bad things about the Direct TV DVR on places such as tivocommunity.com.

nice deal, but since my TiVo is hacked guess I will stick with what I got, for everyone else sounds like a great thing to jump on.

GR00316 said: nice deal, but since my TiVo is hacked guess I will stick with what I got, for everyone else sounds like a great thing to jump on.

Could always just get another for free if you have a 2nd standard receiver

You know, DirecTV CSR's will say whatever you want to hear, but their policy is whenever you get new equipment you get another 2 year contract.
Reply here in another month or two and let us know if you indeed do NOT have that extended contract. Their track record lately hasn't been very
good with this issue (esp. since ALL NEW EQUIPMENT IS LEASED, NOT BELONGING TO THE CUSTOMER).

We've been with them for nearly 5 years, too. Just an FYI.

And remember that LEASE=more $$ on the bill each month, unless they're giving you specific concession to offset that (which will have a time-limit!).

OK... I have like 5 people who I act as liaison for with DirecTV. (ie: my 74 year old mother in law)

I have on (rare) occasion gotten a deal like this but traditionally it is with a commitment. (which as many have said really doesn't matter to most people)

I will say (because I've done it twice) the BEST way to get something from D* is to call and ask for customer retention. I one time called (in a huff) and asked about turning off 3 different accounts (they jerked my mother in law) and the CSR gave me whatever I asked for and some I didn't.

I had a legitimate beef, but it never hurts to bluff.

I called retentions last week and got the following

What phone number did you call please.

1 800 directv and ask for retentions.

wombatme said: I was recently offered new DVR's and a smaller discount than you. I did not take it because I have the DirecTivo's and have heard such bad things about the Direct TV DVR on places such as tivocommunity.com.
I have DirecTV's DVR and it works just fine. My only minor gripe is that the menu system is kinda slow. In the past, I've tried Comcast's and Dish Network's DVRs and it works better than those.

GR00316 said: nice deal, but since my TiVo is hacked guess I will stick with what I got, for everyone else sounds like a great thing to jump on.

Alot of greens, but I wonder if anyone else has actually gotten this deal (without contract)

Got shot down. Called twice and both offered to me at $99. The first was very clear about I would be signing up for an additional 2-years.

I told them that I knew some people that got it for free and they claimed it was based off of location and account history....guess I don't live in the right area...however it is they determine that??

I'll probably be calling that number again...this time to cancel.

on commitments and DTV - we got slammed for a two year commitment even though the offer they emailed us explicitly stated "You are not obligated to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration" for taking advantage of the offer.

ya right...

Just found out about this a couple weeks ago. So now I have to write a letter to the billing dept to dispute this with the evidence. grrr

I got the free DVR plus 3 months of discounted DVR service. I don't know why I didn't get 6 monhts, but still happy with what I got.

Forget the nickel & dime stuff...just pay $7500/year and go with DIRECTV TITANIUM service....it gives you everything !!
Bring on the GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=========================================================================================================================
Limited Access to an Unlimited Experience
Only a select few will have the opportunity to experience the ultimate in TV: The Limited Edition DIRECTV TITANIUM™. For one yearly payment of $7,500, you'll receive unlimited programming, impeccable service and superior technology with the most comprehensive entertainment package ever designed.

Membership is reserved for a select few.To find out if you qualify, please contact a TITANIUM representative who will provide you with the utmost in personal service at 1-877-337-4388.

Every show. Every movie. Every sports subscription. Everything.

With your TITANIUM membership, you'll receive everything DIRECTV has to offer and additional benefits designed precisely for you. Every movie, sports subscription, concert, Pay Per View, adult program* and HD channel is yours.

Up to 10 receivers — any combination of the most technologically advanced HD, DVR and HD DVR
Personalized concierge customer service, 24/7
Priority service
Unlimited Pay Per View (without the "pay") movies, concerts and events
Access to all adult programming, including Playboy TV*
Over 30 premium channels: HBO®, SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®, Starz® Super Pack, Cinemax®
All sports subscriptions including NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and MEGA MARCH MADNESS™
All Regional Sports Network channels
Every HD channel DIRECTV has to offer**
All Spanish Language and International channels
70 XM Satellite Radio channels
Subscription to ON DIRECTV™ Magazine

I canceled my DirecTV account on Friday. I needed a new receiver and DirecTV wouldn't go for it without a commitment. I told the CSR that I had been with them for over 11 years and never received anything. I purchased (at my expense) all my equipment prior to this. I would have even purchased a new R-15 DVR for $109.99, but it still would have required a 2 year commitment. These folks are morons. Their business model stinks. I got a better deal going back to cable. So now DirecTV can spend $800 or more trying to get me back. Next stop Verizon Fios. They should be active in my neighborhood within the year. DirecTV, if you read this... you are no better than the cable slime out there.

JimboBriggs said: DirecTV, if you read this... you are no better than the cable slime out there.Did you ever doubt that?

ruhroh said: You know, DirecTV CSR's will say whatever you want to hear, but their policy is whenever you get new equipment you get another 2 year contract.
Reply here in another month or two and let us know if you indeed do NOT have that extended contract. Their track record lately hasn't been very
good with this issue (esp. since ALL NEW EQUIPMENT IS LEASED, NOT BELONGING TO THE CUSTOMER).

I've been with them for nearly 5 years, too. Just an FYI.

And remember that LEASE=more $$ on the bill each month, unless they're giving you specific concession to offset that (which will have a time-limit!).

This is not true. I ordered basic DirecTV last year around this time. I received two receivers free -- not leased. I even canceled one of the rooms after one month and tried to give back the second receiver, but they said it was mine to keep. Its sitting in the garage.

mbwd said: ruhroh said: You know, DirecTV CSR's will say whatever you want to hear, but their policy is whenever you get new equipment you get another 2 year contract.

I've been with them for nearly 5 years, too. Just an FYI.

This is not true. I ordered basic DirecTV last year around this time. I received two receivers free -- not leased. I even canceled one of the rooms after one month and tried to give back the second receiver, but they said it was mine to keep. Its sitting in the garage.

Did you ever think that maybe their policies changed in the LAST YEAR....please don't post a know-it-all kind of post when you haven't dealt with a company in a year. Times change.

the directv lease subject has been a Hot Topic on other forums for quite a while. You no longer own the receiver. They could still choose not to have you send it back, but you no longer "own" it. I believe the DVR fee has simply changed names to "lease fee" or the like, so it's not really an added charge, just a change in how it's listed on the bill..

I've got to wonder if that's another way of preventing some of the "hacking" that goes on. I have 2 DirecTivos and I've put 300gig drives in both. I've not purchased one of the new DVRs because of the bad reports I've read about shows not always recording, etc. However, this was at launch and for a few months afterwards. After that, I stopped following the discussions and have no idea how reliable they are now.

There seems to be one common theme on like/dislike in discussions. The people who like the new DVR tend not to have ever owned a DirecTivo. Those that have DirecTivos are almost always disappointed.. again, I only followed posts for a month, maybe two before I decided I'd stay with what I already own. I'll probably shed some tears the day they die (adding a new HD is no problem, but if the circuit boards go, I'll be SOL).

We have 3 DirecTivos w/a lifetime TiVo subscription. Paid $200 for it 5 yrs ago and still going strong.

I haven't bothered to check w/DirecTV about getting new equip and keeping my lifetime because I'm sure the rep of the minute will tell me no problem. Then when I get the equip I'll get billed $5.99 a month with a "Sorry the rep must have made a mistake" appetizer.

It's probably moot anyway. With their upcoming price increase/reduced channels "To Give us Better Service!" I'll probably drop them and go w/someone cheaper. We only watch a few channels as it is.

mbwd said:

A simple search on tivocommunity and dbstalks will show that my statements are in fact, true.
Also, call customer service and ask them point blank.

Directv isn't the company they used to be. As boober said, they are just like cable now.

Thanks OP. I just called the 800-824-0739 number and was given the next 6 months of free DVR service. She offered me the DVR receiver, but I have 3 already so I declined.

mp

seemayur said: Thanks OP. I just called the 800-824-0739 number and was given the next 6 months of free DVR service. She offered me the DVR receiver, but I have 3 already so I declined.

mp

As someone seemed to suggest above, is this offer limited to a certain geographic area? Is D* somehow giving the offer to only selected customers but not others? I currently have two DVRs - one a Directivo unit and one a Directv DVR unit. I like the TiVo one better, but its capacity is too limited. If I knew how to add a larger hard drive, I might do that. My cost is getting to dang high, so I need to contact them and see what they'll do to lower my monthly bill.

ruhroh said: You know, DirecTV CSR's will say whatever you want to hear, but their policy is whenever you get new equipment you get another 2 year contract.

We've been with them for nearly 5 years, too. Just an FYI.

I beg to differ on this one: LEASE=more $$

DIRECTV is going the same route as Dish had been doing from the get go. The mirroring fee that you used to see on your DIRECTV bill, is now being called "Equipment Lease Fee" in the same amount as your mirroring fee, i.e., $4.99 per device after the first one.

Hi,

I have called every once in a while to ask about promotions for current customers. Sometimes I get shutdown, sometimes I get free channels or money off my bill.
This time I called 1-800-824-0739 and received $10 off my bill for 6 months. Not bad for a 5 minute phone call.
Thanks OP for the reminder.

Rob

Not to poo poo on the OP's deal but after a call to CS / retention asking about a previous credit I was to get from the DSL promotion they somehow shut my account off for a minute to "apply" the credit. Upon restarting my account an "instant" later my programming package price had gone up $7.00. It seems that (so they say) if you have an old programming package under an old price structure and you make a change the old package reverts to the current equivalent package. So I now pay $7 more a month PLUS the additional $3 from THIS YEAR's rate hikes AND I lose some channels too!

What a sweet deal for them. I get a credit that was due to me and they get it back two fold.

In my anger I decided to call the cable company and Dish Network to see what they have to offer. I can get a Hi Definition DVR that outputs to one HDTV and one standard tv. They'll install FREE and I also get $20 a month off for 10 months - even having been a customer previously. Also, they appear to have more HD channels than DirecTV does. I know, DirecTV will have 150 later this year but there aren't 150 HD channels yet available. Add to that the fact that DirecTV's satellites were to be launched via sealaunch which just had another horrendous accident that blew up and destroyed a satellite, and their satellites anmd capacity are now delayed till who knows when.

For my $$ I'll just have to do what appears to be right - send my $$ to another provider, one that may want my business. It will be hard to let go of my TiVo and DirecTV but considering I have to let go of TiVo to record HD it makes no difference other than money and principle to me.

Now back to the DirecTV deals for the lucky.......... just watch out that they don't screw you over!

We replaced one of our two DirecTivo receivers with the new High Definition HR-20 DVR receiver and to reiterate what was said above, it is just awful. DirecTV's DVR system is absolutely inferior in every single way to TiVo's. Even though the picture quality obviously is great on one of the limited numbers of HD channels DirecTV has available, we're giving some thought to canceling the HD service and just going back to our old DirecTivo receiver.

With TiVo, you can hit the "Live TV" button and switch back and forth between two channels, rewinding to where you left off without losing any content. Although the HR-20 also has two tuners, it cannot switch between them in this fashion and you lose everything you were watching when you change channels.

The search functions are more difficult to use, don't always pull up movies I can find on my other TV's old DirecTivo receiver, and DirecTV's version of Season Pass doesn't always work - I've lost quite a few episodes here and there, plus sometimes it makes me switch channels if something I'm recording is about to start, even if I'm only recording on that one channel and should have the other channel free.

For you sports fans who like to rewind and see if the player was inbounds with your own slow motion replay, well, there's no "Slow" function with the new DVR. If you want to fast forward, often it staggers and pauses for a few seconds and when the picture resumes, suddenly you see that you are two minutes past where you wanted to be.

The new DVR's remote has too many poorly positioned buttons that aren't intuitive to use and it's not backlit either. In fact, it has four function buttons that aren't even labeled - they are different colors. And speaking of remotes, although it should be able to do this, mine won't program to operate the volume and mute buttons on my very common Onkyo HT receiver, which my old DirecTivo's remote did very easily.

I also started getting black screens instead of programming. Menus still showed up fine, but I obviously am not paying money to watch a blank spot on my wall. Tech support had me completely reset the whole unit, which installs a firmware upgrade that seems to cure the problems, but I lost about 15 shows and movies I had recorded that the reset wiped clean off the hard drive.

The instruction manual that comes with the HR-20 is also quite inadequate and seems like it has less than a quarter of the content of the old TiVo receiver's manual.

When I called DirecTV customer support on some of these issues, they agreed with me that the new system is greatly inferior to the old TiVo system and that no firmware upgrades were planned to give the HR-20 any additional features it is lacking. One of them also told me that she had looked into one of the internet rumours I had asked about, whether DirecTV had recently entered into negotiations with TiVo to try to bring back the TiVo system to replace their POS DVR system and she stated that when DirecTV severed their ties with TiVo, they did so permanently with no intent of talking with TiVo again about any new collaboration.

Yeah, I just had one of my HR10s (DirecTiVo) replaced under warranty by the HR20. I was upset by it, but nothing I could do. I haven't hooked it up yet, but everything I've heard about it is that it's inferior. I might, however, dispute that they aren't working on any of its shortcomings. According to some of the DBS message boards, they are making constant updates to this unit.

lousygolfer said: One of them also told me that she had looked into one of the internet rumours I had asked about, whether DirecTV had recently entered into negotiations with TiVo to try to bring back the TiVo system to replace their POS DVR system
This kind of reminds me of when flight attendants give passengers the "inside scoop" that they've overheard in the crew locker room about how the airline is going to do X, Y, and Z very, very soon. Not saying that's what happened, here, but it's certainly possible.
and she stated that when DirecTV severed their ties with TiVo, they did so permanently with no intent of talking with TiVo again about any new collaboration.
Again, that kind of absolute statement is reason to doubt the knowldege level of the person conveying the information. If it's in DirecTV's and TiVo's business interest to jump back in bed with each other tomorrow morning, they won't hesitate for 2 seconds to do it.

fatluncher said: 1 800 directv and ask for retentions.

That's about the worst possible strategy, because they'll know instantly what it is that you're up to. Instead, call and tell the first CSR that you want to end your service at the end of the current billing cycle, end of the month, whatever. They ask why, and you say, "Because there's this sweet deal from my cable company that's been advertised in the paper and I want to take advantage of it." They try to fight back, you persist in wanting to cancel. THAT's when THEY offer to transfer you to retentions, and the conversation starts over again with you saying you want to quit in two weeks. THAT's when they start to wheel and deal and offer things. If retentions shoots you down or doesn't provide what you want, say fine, set a service cut-off date, and end the call. You can always call back a couple days later and say you "changed your mind" about switching to cable or you've "reconsidered" what they offered to keep you as a customer.

With DirecTV's new price increase, it's time to look at the other options again. For those with DirecTIVOs like me who are afraid to switch, TiVo and Comcast cable just demo'd a Comcast DVR with TiVo software that will supposedly be offered as a software upgrade to existing Comcast DVR customers sometime soon...

TIVO cable box

Comcast is set to install the first week of March....... the soonest they could get out. Last time they were out they couldn't install due to needing to upgrade facilities in my part of the block. One other time they wanted over 2K to install. Prior to Comcast it was MediaOne / AT&T and they wanted 7K to install.

TiVo on Concast would be fine with me.

Skipping 60 Messages...
For all the desi Directv subscribers having Hindi Direct 1 service.

I have been with Directv since April 2006. I called last week to cancel the service. And here is what I got.

I got a free upgrade to Hindi Direct 2 service (Thats the additional FILMY channel)- $10 a month for a year

A free DVR including free DVR service for 1 year

My choice HBO/Cinemax/Starz free for 3 months

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014