• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Found this Garmin C530 for $298.49 at Buydig. I think it's a good buy for people that are in between the C330/C320 and Nuvis because it's basically the C330 with a brighter screen and improved antenna. I don't give a hoot about Mp3 abilities or that it's a baby brick so saving $100 is totally worth it.

Found a hack to turn it into text to speech! That was the only thing keeping me from buying
Looking at price of C330 vs C340, I value this hack at $100!

Link to C540 Hack

$5-off orders $100-$299.99
coupon code: affgoo2
$10-off orders $300+
coupon code: affgoo3
You can also do GCO for an extra $10 off.

Math: $298-$5(CP)-$10(GCO)= 283

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
hacked mine last weekend too. Really easy, but my laptop imploded and I lost all my backup files
Anyone know where I ca... (more)

stash182 (May. 29, 2007 @ 10:17a) |

My C530 died after only 13 days.

zc8 (Jun. 06, 2007 @ 1:07a) |

Did buydig quit selling them? Staples.com too.

Slickone (Jun. 06, 2007 @ 9:30a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This was $375 not including shipping from costco.com around Christmas. Competition is sure good for bringing down the prices. Garmin and Magellan had a near monopoly on the mid-end gps devices until other companies like MIO started getting into the lower end market.

Tempted with the c550 for $439. I just received a tomtom 910 and have been using it for a week, and while it has it's points....it's making me really miss the ease of use of a Garmin. The POI on a Tomtom really suck. I use them alot and want to verify the ones I pick are really the ones I want before bothering to calculate a route. The Tomtom's don't do this and it infuriates me. I may be selling my Tomtom, most likely at a loss soon, but I'll be much happier with a Garmin and the c550 will give me enough of what the 910 has that will keep me very satisfied.

OMG!!! I was just checking out HackaDayand what do you know, today's hack was to turn a Garmin C530 into a C540 text to speech unit!!!! How sweet is that?! I'm so glad I bought this unit now. I think that makes this deal flaming.

A friend of mine bought one after much research and just raves about this unit. After hearing all he had to say about it, I went off to find one for a price better than the $399 that he paid. Trust me, he puts a LOT of thought into his purchases, but clearly does not have FW blood in him!

Ahhh hah...all I came up with was a Google Checkout deal and coupon HEREto make it $299 including my $5 filler item.
It shipped and is due out for delivery on Monday!

Btw, the biggest selling feature for me was that he said it's EASY to use...sets up in less than ten minutes and oh, he loves changing the voice on it...
said that now instead of his wife telling him what to do, he has a British woman telling him where to go!

What does "Convertible to C540 (Text to Speech)" mean?

maybe i am the minority but I dont care for the text to speech function. I actually turn it off on my c340. they always say it in a weird way and takes too long to read the whole direction out, IMO

I have one of these and love it. Although at first i thought it had text to speech and was disappointed that it didn't have it considering marketing placed this higher in their product line compared to the c340 (which has tts).

So when I read your thread title and saw these are now convertible to c540s well I just had to google it. Here's one site that talks about how you can go about enabling this function on the c530.

Thanks for the conversion explanation. Too bad there isn't something similar for the C320 to a C340. I just got one from Fry's and it would be great.

Any idea why all the red's are from Richh32? Does he like getting lost or something?

Thanks OP

hey fatherted, what do you mean by verify the POIs? I've been using the TT 910 for a little while now and have really liked it, I'm figuring out mp3 playlists on it right now. I've use both the 910 and the ONE by tomtom and have found both really easy to use.

Confirmed. I was able to get Text To Speech working on my c530. Upgraded functionality for free.. that's the best kind of upgrade!

So while I have TTS now, the voice is not as crisp as the standard voice that says "turn right in 400 feet". Thus far, I've tried American Jill and British Emily and I think I like the British Emily a little better (just doesn't sound as digital as Jill). So I took the TTS on a spin today and I saved a few lives by not having to look down at the navi..

How hard was the conversion? Did it take long? Any noticeable performance loss? I don't want to go breaking my new $300 GPS!

Arrived today and I love it! No joke. It's plug and play! 5 minutes out of the box and you are on the road! I'm not sure I'm ready to get the text to speech to function on it just yet. Having fun with it just the way it is.

It is SO EASY!

Here is another company that is offering the c530 w/ free shipping for the same price. Perhaps GARMIN had adjusted their pricing.

Erwincomputers C530

Grr... just saw on SD that there's a $5 off $100 and $10 off $300 coupon:
$10-off orders $300+

Neither of which I was smart enough to do. Will try to get a price adjustment later!

Darn being in NJ...there is tax at BuyDig. I just ordered it for $295 at Pc Nation. Will be selling my TomTom 910 shortly.

Is buydig.com a reliable merchant? I've never bought anything from them before. TIA.

buydig is pretty good

Thanks OP in for 1 at buydig.com, they've beed pretty good to deal with, no problems.

Anyone wanna buy a C320???

Does any one has good comparition between c530 and Magellan RoadMate 2000 GPS Navigation ? Roadmate 2000 is selling for $200.00 includes Chargable battery - make it real portable.--

Not quite what you were looking for but here is a comparison between garmin c550/tom tom go 910/magellan roadmate 6000t

Linky

Here's a review of the 2000:
Roadmate 2000

and here's a list in other units ranking from this site...says the roadmate 2000 is the best value buy:

Ranking

Jmaster said: Does any one has good comparition between c530 and Magellan RoadMate 2000 GPS Navigation ? Roadmate 2000 is selling for $200.00 includes Chargable battery - make it real portable.--

How is the Garmin C530/540 compare to Magellan 2200T? I bought the Magellan today at Costco for $300 + Tax. Did anyone have use both? I will take the magellan for a test drive tomorrow but if everyone said the Garmin is better I can go return it. It is costco after all

did any one actually hack the 530 to get the text to speech?

WalMart has c340 for $329.54 online. you have to add it to cart to see the price

stash182 said: Found this Garmin C530 for $298.49 at Buydig. I think it's a good buy for people that are in between the C330/C320 and Nuvis because it's basically the C330 with a brighter screen and improved antenna. I don't give a hoot about Mp3 abilities or that it's a baby brick so saving $100 is totally worth it.

Found a hack to turn it into text to speech! That was the only thing keeping me from buying
Looking at price of C330 vs C340, I value this hack at $100!

Link to C540 Hack

$10-off orders $300+

Math: $298-$5(CP)-$10(GCO)= 283

Why bother with a C340 that costs $50 more???
The C530 has a brighter screen, smaller body, smaller mount, and Sirf III chipset! Once you do the TTS hack it's far superior to a C340.

Just got mine yesterday and I love it. Way better than the C340 I bought my parents! Even the fascia is better lookin (metallic blue-ish).

How easy to hack this C530?

The new firmware of this unit will disabled the TTS hack.

Read updates here

I saw the C530 last night at Staples in SoCal (B+M) for $299.xx. Not too bad once it is hacked.

FYI, Amazon is selling c530 for $324.

Text

how do you enter coupon codes at buydig? I'm at checkout and theres no place to enter them.

how do you use google checkout? I just see an option to use paypal or enter cc info...........

joeblowxbox said: I saw the C530 last night at Staples in SoCal (B+M) for $299.xx. Not too bad once it is hacked.
That is exactly what I am going to use the Staples' 12% coupon for next week.

boo looks like buydig.com raised the price of the gps and also the c550

Just hacked my C530. Very easy.

hacked mine last weekend too. Really easy, but my laptop imploded and I lost all my backup files
Anyone know where I can get them from? I assume the files are interchangeable from one unit to another.

My C530 died after only 13 days.

Did buydig quit selling them? Staples.com too.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014