• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I got this model yesterday and thought this deal may be of use to others. Its simple, it worked w/o hassle for me, but you do have to buy a 20% off coupon for home depot.

Search eBay for 20% off homedepot. You will find a ton of contractor coupons. Search for buy it now and you can get these usually around $10 shipped. Use at your local home depot on honda products. Honda's are not excluded and the coupon that was sent to me didnt have an expiration date.

This may barely be warm for most due to requirement of coupon purchase, but for those who are looking to buy a Honda lawn mower, this was the best price I could find after wait and see for almost a year.

List price: 629.00
20% off: 503.2
Coupon Price: 513.2
Finally mowing the huge yard after killing most of the grass? Priceless.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks for the response.

Anyone else see the Honda lawn mowers discounted at their Home Depot? Please list the city, sta... (more)

trade4jka (Sep. 01, 2007 @ 6:31p) |

This weekend, I picked up the HRX217 with the cruise control (no electric start), Home Depot part number 247765. Regula... (more)

Macros (Sep. 05, 2007 @ 7:39p) |

Fairfield, OH store had the HRX 217VKA marked down from $629 to $549. All remaining units (all HRR's) full price still.... (more)

typer801 (Sep. 27, 2007 @ 7:29p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Wow... never thought anybody here would pay that much for a push mower... Ok, it's a honda, but I've got a Craftsman that cost $200 new (I got for $40 at a garage sale), and it's been running solid for me for 5 years now... and that's used! Haven't spent a dime on it (fixed the pull cable myself cuz it broke at the end...) $500 for a push mower? Tough call. But kudos for the 20%. I'm going to look into that.

Canucklehead said: Wow... never thought anybody here would pay that much for a push mower... Ok, it's a honda, but I've got a Craftsman that cost $200 new (I got for $40 at a garage sale), and it's been running solid for me for 5 years now... and that's used! Haven't spent a dime on it (fixed the pull cable myself cuz it broke at the end...) $500 for a push mower? Tough call. But kudos for the 20%. I'm going to look into that.

Well, Honda and Craftsman aren't comparable IMO. However, I did get the Toro super recycler 2 years ago (#2 rated Consumer Reports behind the Honda that year but $200 cheaper) It is very very nice, especially with the personal pace self propelled and the aluminum deck. If you have never used personal pace, it would be hard to go back to another system. You walk slowly, the mower goes slowly. You walk fast (up to 4.5 or 5 MPH) it goes fast, you stop, it stops. It never drags you around. The mower mulches very well too. This is the one I have, I've never seen a bad review

toro super recycler 20054

Link is just for referrence, I got mine from eBay but I don't sell the things, I only have one!

After having used similar Honda mowers professionally in the late 80's(making it about 20 yrs. old now)I can say they are well worth it. That is if Honda has maintained the same level of quality. I believe they were in the $700 range at the time.

They're self propelled, durable, lightweight, powerful and quiet. I walked behind the same mower for 6 years of daily(seasonal)use, far more than what an average homeowner would mow. Probably 3-5 acres a day. I personally wore out 3 blades cutting only pristine lawns. When I quit that job it was still running like new and they were still using it when I dropped in for a visit a few years ago. Mine was the oldest of a fleet of 4.

I like Toro as well. In the early 80's I worked at a golf course with some really basic 2 stroke 21" push only Toro mowers and they were beasts. Nothing bogged them down.

I'm old and lazy now so I mow my lawn with a Craftsman 21" electric mower which I can't seem to find for sale anywhere. It works nearly as well as a gas mower and has lasted 5 yrs. even after leaving out in the weather the last couple of winters. I have a pretty good size lawn(about 1/3 acre).

Canucklehead said: Wow... never thought anybody here would pay that much for a push mower... Ok, it's a honda, but I've got a Craftsman that cost $200 new (I got for $40 at a garage sale), and it's been running solid for me for 5 years now... and that's used! Haven't spent a dime on it (fixed the pull cable myself cuz it broke at the end...) $500 for a push mower? Tough call. But kudos for the 20%. I'm going to look into that.

Somebody always says this. Yet they seem to understand the difference between a Corolla and a Lexus.

When it comes to tools, I usually look for the best quality at the lowest price like this post.

- Better welds
- Thicker steel in the deck and handle tubing
- Quad cutting blades (on some models), blade clutch (on some models)
- Rear wheel drive (better on hills)
- Honda quality engine with superior oil pumping system (than B&S, Tecumseh, or MTD)

Toro seems to be #2 behind Honda, which I considered, until I looked at the quality of the welds and the thickness of the steel and the attention to manufacturing detail. Good on the Toro but better on the Honda.

I'm glad I got the Honda. With care it should last 15 years.

And there's NO comparison between Honda and Briggs and Stratton engines. LOL. There's a lot of companies that put a Honda engine on their own chassis but that doesn't make it a Honda. Hondas whole mower is just a better built machine.

BTW, you never seem to find a Honda at a garage sale (well I don't anyway). I would buy a used one but the only place I find them is at landscaping equipment dealers, and they're not all that much cheaper.

My Physolophy: Crappy tools suck.

I personally can not stand the self propel controls on the new hondas.

I would look at the lawn boy with personal pace at home depot for the best deal. It has a better bagging setup than the toro of similar price, and mulches just as well imho.

around 350 if i remember right, and with the 20% coupon, it is a deal.

wonkman said: Canucklehead said: Wow... never thought anybody here would pay that much for a push mower... Ok, it's a honda, but I've got a Craftsman that cost $200 new (I got for $40 at a garage sale), and it's been running solid for me for 5 years now... and that's used! Haven't spent a dime on it (fixed the pull cable myself cuz it broke at the end...) $500 for a push mower? Tough call. But kudos for the 20%. I'm going to look into that.

Somebody always says this. Yet they seem to understand the difference between a Corolla and a Lexus.

When it comes to tools, I usually look for the best quality at the lowest price like this post.

- Better welds
- Honda quality engine with superior oil pumping system (than B&S, Tecumseh, or MTD)

Toro seems to be #2 behind Honda, which I considered, until I looked at the quality of the welds and the thickness of the steel and the attention to manufacturing detail. Good on the Toro but better on the Honda.

And there's NO comparison between Honda and Briggs and Stratton engines. LOL. There's a lot of companies that put a Honda engine on their own chassis but that doesn't make it a Honda. Hondas whole mower is just a better built machine.

BTW, you never seem to find a Honda at a garage sale (well I don't anyway). I would buy a used one but the only place I find them is at landscaping equipment dealers, and they're not all that much cheaper.

I agree but not on the briggs and stratton engine, that one on my toro could go 15 years too with oil changes. Honda engines may be better but you'll never notice unless you mow commercially. Certainly I'll never notice with my 1/4 acre yard, I got the self propelled due to the huge hill I have in the back.

My dad had an old Craftsman mower with 3.5 HP B&S engine. This was back in the 70s and the mower was a POS. Hard to use, no features, hard to start. This was before B&S engines started the first or second pull. Remember those nasty foam air filters? Anyway, my dad never changed oil in his mowers, he just mowed. He went 11 years without an oil change. That thing smoked like a pig after 11 years with no oil change but it still ran. I was a teen at the end and I would leave a cloud of smoke as I mowed the yard. I had to add oil every time I mowed. If they can take that, well my 6.5 B&S Quantum engine should last almost forever if I change the oil once per year. BTW, I started changing the oil fall and spring because Pat Goss, the car mechanic for motorweek says when you store a motorcycle for the season, drain the oil and put in fresh, used oil is corrosive. I'm not worried about 10 minutes time and 20 oz of store brand 30 weight oil, so I change it at the beginning and the end of each season.

RadagastMOD said: I personally can not stand the self propel controls on the new hondas.

I would look at the lawn boy with personal pace at home depot for the best deal. It has a better bagging setup than the toro of similar price, and mulches just as well imho.

around 350 if i remember right, and with the 20% coupon, it is a deal.

Another good option, however I believe the decks are steel. The super recycler is the toro to get, not the recycler IMO.

I hope this helps someone who is looking to buy honda. Didn't buy it without a lot of consideration and after test driving my neighbors Honda as it compares to my very good MDT w/ Kawasaki Engine.

The honda won hands down.

For those who are thinking of getting a good lawn mower, the Honda is a really good option and it is consistently rated as a one of the top mowers. The following two reasons are the deal maker for me in addition to things already mentioned :

1) It mulches excellent. This voids the need to frequently fertilize your lawn.
2) Its vacuuming action is really good. No need to rake up leafs.
3) Minor - the engine can keep running while the blades stop running. Allows you to pickup branches/golf balls as you mow

clearanceman said:
Well, Honda and Craftsman aren't comparable IMO. However, I did get the Toro super recycler 2 years ago (#2 rated Consumer Reports behind the Honda that year but $200 cheaper) It is very very nice, especially with the personal pace self propelled and the aluminum deck. If you have never used personal pace, it would be hard to go back to another system. You walk slowly, the mower goes slowly. You walk fast (up to 4.5 or 5 MPH) it goes fast, you stop, it stops. It never drags you around. The mower mulches very well too. This is the one I have, I've never seen a bad review

Link is just for referrence, I got mine from eBay but I don't sell the things, I only have one!

I will second the Super Recyler rec. The personal pace system works as advertised. Soooo much easier than walking at the mower speed, changing speed, etc. I'm sure the Honda is well built, but I love the PP system.

I have a Honda Mower and love it. It is so much better than my previous Murray which it should be since it cost 3x as much. I am normally pretty cheap but I got sick of the crappy carb (made entirely out of plastic that went bad every other season) on the B&S engine on the Murray and it didn't mulch well or handle thick grass (it would stall out, due to the way the deck was desgined causing grass to build up). The Honda is a dream muclhes incredibly well, very reliable self proplusion unit and will mow the tallest grass without hesitation.

It is not just the engine that makes Honda better but the whole package and how it is put together. Much better engineered. I think the quality of the mower you want and how much you are willing to pay is a function of how big your lawn is. When I was at .2 of an acre I didn't care what I mowed with but with nearly an acre the Honda is worth every pretty penny I paid for it. Though I am also sure there are other good options out there including the Toros mentioned here which I also looked at and liked.

I picked up HRT216 for $250 at the end of the 2004 season (October 2004)... at the time Honda was quoting $650 MSRP.

End of season is the best time to pick up these items.

Picked up an Ariens 5520 Snow thrower with electric start for $275 in April of 2005.

To the Honda naysayer and Craftsman glorifier, a lot of the new Craftsman mowers come with Honda engines.

As to the oil change schedule. I change the oil at the end of the season with either snow thrower or mower. This way it sits in the off-season with fresh oil in there. I do the same for the Motorcycle.

Edit: Don't use automotive oil in motorcycle. Use oils that don't have friction modifiers, such as Rotella T and Esso... (no star burst on the label) Friction modifiers will make your clutch slip.

wonkman said: Canucklehead said: Wow... never thought anybody here would pay that much for a push mower... Ok, it's a honda, but I've got a Craftsman that cost $200 new (I got for $40 at a garage sale), and it's been running solid for me for 5 years now... and that's used! Haven't spent a dime on it (fixed the pull cable myself cuz it broke at the end...) $500 for a push mower? Tough call. But kudos for the 20%. I'm going to look into that.

- Better welds

But why do I need a Lexus to mow the lawn (!) lol

Giser said: After having used similar Honda mowers professionally in the late 80's(making it about 20 yrs. old now)I can say they are well worth it. That is if Honda has maintained the same level of quality. I believe they were in the $700 range at the time.

And the good ones still are . . . about 10 years ago Honda started making TWO lines of stuff . . . a 'Pro' line that was equal to their current build quality, with the oversized air filters and spin-on oil filters . . . . and a 'Consumer' line meant to be sold through the like of HD.

The HD ones are faily priced, but they will not last like the pro models.

Personally, I have a 10 y.o. 3-speed Toro Super Recycler . . . leaves a beautiful cut, as nice as my reel mower . . . except you don't have to rake.

Visited the Parksburg, PA HD last weekend and noticed a similar sale. I didnít get the model number, but the original price was $599. They had about 6 brand new units marked down to $398. It was grey with plastic body and the green ball lever that could do mulch or bag. Good deal if I didnít have a 2-cycle Lawnboy commercial. =)

I have a hard time hearing but I can cut grass and talk on my cell while mowing with my Honda and it is three years old now.

Super great idea for 20% off. Green for the OP!

Its a great deal. I recently bought 2 Troy-Bilt's with Honda engine's. One for me and one for my Dad. They seem to be a real good machine, they dont have the Blade Clutch that the Honda does, but they were a couple hundred less.

I got em at Loews, with the 10% "i just moved coupon"

I have only used mine once, and it bags really well, Even the wet spring grass up here in Seattle.

And they are Fire engine red, like a Ferrari

I'll take a $300 Ferrari over a $500 Lexus anyday..........

snake said: clearanceman said:

I will second the Super Recyler rec. The personal pace system works as advertised. Soooo much easier than walking at the mower speed, changing speed, etc. I'm sure the Honda is well built, but I love the PP system.

Honda has that too: SmartDrive. And a blade clutch which allow you to stop cutting without stopping the engine.

flyupfront said: Its a great deal. I recently bought 2 Troy-Bilt's with Honda engine's. One for me and one for my Dad. They seem to be a real good machine, they dont have the Blade Clutch that the Honda does, but they were a couple hundred less.

I got em at Loews, with the 10% "i just moved coupon"

I have only used mine once, and it bags really well, Even the wet spring grass up here in Seattle.

And they are Fire engine red, like a Ferrari

I'll take a $300 Ferrari over a $500 Lexus anyday..........

Ummm... red paint doesn't make a car a Ferrari. You actually have a Lexus engine in a Camry body. Oh wait... Troy-Built? I mean Corolla.

Just thought it was worth mentioning that the Honda engines used on other brands are not the same engines used on Honda's own mowers...

Visited the Parksburg, PA HD last weekend and noticed a similar sale. I didnít get the model number, but the original price was $599. They had about 6 brand new units marked down to $398. It was grey with plastic body and the green ball lever that could do mulch or bag. Good deal if I didnít have a 2-cycle Lawnboy commercial. =)

Huge "thank you" to Webcobra.
Went to Parkesburg HD last week and got one of the last Honda HRX217TDA at $398+tax. I had been looking for a clearance sale since last year but no luck until now. (Was about to go for the Costco MTD Pro with a Honda engine and stainless deck).
Used the Honda today for the first time and it does a nice job.

To all NEW Lawnmower owners in areas where there is winter.

Before putting the unit away for the winter, you have to rub the deck and other metal parts down with machine or engine oil to prevent corrosion. Add Stabil to the tank, run for a few minutes, drain the tank and run the carb dry. Drain the oil and put fresh oil in. Take out the spark plug, pour a spoonful of oil in there, give it a few turns to spread the oil. Replace the spark plug.

Make sure you read the manual and follow it to ensure long life.

blueiedgod said: To all NEW Lawnmower owners in areas where there is winter.

Before putting the unit away for the winter, you have to rub the deck and other metal parts down with machine or engine oil to prevent corrosion. Add Stabil to the tank, run for a few minutes, drain the tank and run the carb dry. Drain the oil and put fresh oil in. Take out the spark plug, pour a spoonful of oil in there, give it a few turns to spread the oil. Replace the spark plug.

I have a 12 yo MTD rider that I have changed the oil on 3 times. Never did any of the other things you suggest. Faithfully cuts 3/4 acres all summer with a B&S engine.

Save your time and money.

nailman said: blueiedgod said: To all NEW Lawnmower owners in areas where there is winter.

I have a 12 yo MTD rider that I have changed the oil on 3 times. Never did any of the other things you suggest. Faithfully cuts 3/4 acres all summer with a B&S engine.

Save your time and money.

I have a Craftsman snow thrower with a Tecumseh engine that has a build date of 1973. This is what the previous owner was doing to it. It still starts on the first crank in the middle of a -20įF Blizzard.

Your rider most likely has a spin on filter...

Have you changed the air filter? Spark plugs?

Do you live where it snows for at least 6 months out of the year and the mower just sits in the garage?

LOL. I've got a 10 year old Craftsman with a B&S engine that I've never done ANY maintenance to (oil, plug, nothing) that still starts and runs like a champ with no smoking etc. I keep waiting for it to die so I can go get a new mower but it just keeps going and going.

It's been used so much that the tread is completely gone off of the front wheels- and in fact one of them is so thin that it essentially had a "blowout" where about 3/4 of the wheel split off; I wrapped the entire wheel with black duct tape and it works as good as new. I call it the Termimower!! LMAO.

Just picked up a Toro recycler (steel deck) at the local lawn shop for $360 - there is a $40 rebate available on the electric start that the dealer sent in and gave me credit for. No mention of the rebate at the local HD (which also had the mower for $400). Not a smoking bargain, but a nice surprise; also the lawn shop put it together, gased it up, filled the oil, and charged the battery before they loaded it into my truck. Buy local if you can.

This Toro replaced a lawnboy that always bogged down if the grass was tall or damp. The wife managed to retire the lawnboy (only 2 years old) by finding a good sized rock that bent the shaft. Good riddance, too. Just did a full pass of the lawn - which was both wet and waaaay to high - without a single bog, and that was with the mower in recycler mode. Personal pace is _very_ nice, btw. I could live without the electric start, but the wife can mow the lawn now. $40 for electric start = me mowing the lawn less; that's $40 well spent!!

Aye, nothing gets a guys blood boiling faster than saying his mower is a POS! It's like the Ford vs Chevy argument-sheer opinion.

Around here, John Deere is considered the ultimate by most, though I don't own one. I've had good luck with Snapper Hi Vac (riding) and Lawn Boy commercial 2 cycle(I can't seem to kill it!). One of the funniest things I've seen was when a co worker was bragging about his z force John Deere and his other JD lawn tractor, only to be told that now JD uses Kawasaki engines in most of their lawn tractors! heh

I bought a Honda mower HRX217HXA for $479.20(Original price was $729)
Here is the math. My local Home depot has this mower on sale for $599 and I used the 20% off coupon.
I had checked in several Home depot stores and everyone has it for $729 except this one in Austin TX.

On my comparison between Honda and Craftsman. I was a former Sears employee at Home and Garden section.

Honda's engine built is great, but they have a whole lot more parts, which make it more "susceptible" to breaking down. I said "susceptible" not "will break down". Repair for these puppies are expensive. (First to introduce, electric start)

Craftsman's engine are usually either by Briggs & Straton, a very few honda engines. Quality has declined slightly over the years (ever so slightly), but less parts and more easily to replace. Quality is good grade.

Hursqevarna are thought of to be commercial grade. Very few problems, last time i remember they had the B&S motor, not sure, been a while. Very rare returns or problems.

Toro (never had any at Sears), are good machines at budget price. Toro is a competitor for Craftsman and equally stacks up with among different hierarchies of lawnmowers.

Just an overview from my 2 years @ Sears. Things could have possibly changed, since then.

- alvinmathew88

Where is everyone getting the 20% off coupon from ?

Can someone please guide me to the 20% off coupon? I was not able to find it on eBay. I need a mower fast!!! both of my old ones stopped working. Thanks.

Can't help you with the coupon, but if you are looking for a Honda mower the Parksburg, PA Home Depot has discounted them as of last weekend. I don't have the model numbers but the 700+ goes for 599. 500 goes for 350 ish.

Thanks for the response.

Anyone else see the Honda lawn mowers discounted at their Home Depot? Please list the city, state.

I am in Illinois and they have not dropped prices as of yesterday at the OaKbrook store.

Thanks Fatwalleters!!!

This weekend, I picked up the HRX217 with the cruise control (no electric start), Home Depot part number 247765. Regular price $729.99, marked down to $599.99, with 10% off coupon $539.99 (+ tax). There wasn't many of this version around. But they had the Smartdrive one for $549.99 (marked down from $629.99) and I think the 3 speed one at $479.99 (marked down from $529.99).

(Mentor, Ohio)

Fairfield, OH store had the HRX 217VKA marked down from $629 to $549. All remaining units (all HRR's) full price still. The smart drive system, however, has gotten such poor reviews from consumers I'm not sure I want this one.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014