• 148495051 52
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Started migrating to namesilo.

Bye Bye GoDaddy. Nice knowing ya!

rated:
And a big Me Too here as well. I just migrated nearly a dozen domains out of GoDaddy and onto NameSilo. More may follow.

I did this ENTIRELY because GoDaddy has gotten so stingy with their renewal coupons. I was perfectly content to keep re-registering every year after hunting up a working coupon, paying GoDaddy its $9-$25 per domain. (This despite their many other problems with massive ugly upselling and questionable practices and SOPA etc.)

But not this year. No decent prices, no GoDaddy business from me. (Unfortunately NameSilo doesn't support too many TLDs.) I saved approximately $50 by transferring my domains out rather than renewing them. And I won't get jacked up on next year's renewals.

Almost went with Namecheap, but I was put off by their lousy customer relations (two of their "social media" people act like complete dickheads on the various webhosting forums, getting aggressive and nasty against polite complaints) and their very bad hosting limits -- 200 MB for IMAP mailboxes.

Name.com was a strong contender except that they're owned by Demand Media the content spammers. In the end I liked NameSilo's size and style. Everyone else is owned by EIG/Endurance International Group, the evil conglomerate who have destroyed HostGator.

One note to transferers -- you WILL want to change your Name Servers AFTER the migration is complete. While NameSilo successfully migrated my DNS settings, they did NOT switch out from GoDaddy's name servers. After the transfer, GoDaddy's name servers were still part of the new NameSilo whois record. (This probably doesn't apply if your name servers are held at a separate webhosting site.)

In other words, all my DNS resolutions would fail until I changed to NameSilo's name servers; there's a quick procedure for it on their site.

You will ALSO probably need to manually reproduce or change any e-mail forwards or parked pages or mailboxes, etc., that you were relying on at GoDaddy.

rated:
What domain registrar has the best prices for transferring domains?

rated:
thanks op just bought 2 domains and saved $4

rated:
LOOPHOLE said:   
jodancer said:   GoDaddy Doesn't seem to care... I sent a mail saying that due to the prices and lack of renewal coupons I would be transfering domains to another registrar they replied
GoDaddy said: Thank you for contacting Online Support. I understand you are upset at the discounts codes your receive. Our marketing department does occasionally send out emails containing promotional codes. If you haven't been receiving such emails you can still opt in by updating your account settings.
To subscribe to email special offers, follow these directions:

Answers like this confirm that I must move elsewhere! I don't want to pay for a club when I have a lot of domains and am  (WAS!) a loyal customer. I just want a fair price!

That's what happens when they get $2.2 billion from KKR, ungrateful bastards!

Well, I think Bob got that $2.2 Billion.  If that's what it was.
Bob is running his Harley dealership now.

The KKR guys are now there every day, and they have big debt service so they are raising prices.
That's how LBOs work.  Go watch the movie "Barbarians at the gate", or read the sad story of Simmons Mattress Co and the VCs.

But I doubt this will ultimately be successful for them, most people who have a lot of domains went to GoDaddy to save money. 
I think GoDaddy will survive but it will have a much smaller footprint in the domain industry, which is probably good. 
They were the bad boys for a long time. 

In case you don't remember, Network Solutions was the first domain registrar and we paid $35. That was the cost, pay or go away.
Then register.com
showed up and was $25 and they did your DNS for you, which was an improvement, so I went over there.  Lots of people did.

Then the floodgates were opened and a thousand registrars started up and were mostly about $15, but GoDaddy with their promo codes was the cheap option.
So those that have a lot of domains switched to GoDaddy for lower cost.  I was one of them. 
I'd guess most of you are in that category.

But the VCs have bills to pay so they are putting the hammer down. 
We are moving.  Most of us, the bigger users.
They'll be smaller, and not sure how that's gonna work for them, they never had the level of service that I wanted, but what they did have that some other registrars didn't was phone support. 
Not that I like having to call on the phone, I'd rather not. 
But some registrars don't *have* a phone.

Still looking for a promo code.  Just got two renewals, $14.99 and $16.99. Pretty pricy for me.

One thing I did notice, I had two domains in my cart at GoDaddy, a .com and a .net. I added a third, it was a .net, and it entered at $10.82, the other .net was at $16.99.
So I removed the two more expensive renewals and did the $10.82 one.

Another thing I noticed is the auto renew was turned on for the renewed domain, and I could not see the auto renew settings in my account, but after editing the columns I could. 
So GoDaddy is putting everyone on auto renew at sky high prices and hiding the setting from us.
You can see if but you have to go and look.  Bad business practices, if you ask me. 

I'd have no problem with auto renewal if I could set the price, but an automatic future financial transaction where the other side is in control of the prices, uh, no.

rated:
I just renewed a .com for $9.99 by letting it expire first. It expired on 5/29/14 and there is a 12 day renewal grace period with no penalty fees (which is $80). I turned off all auto-renewals per my post here on 1/13/14. Before expiration GoDaddy wanted $14.99 to renew and after it changed to $9.81 + 0.18 ICANN fee = $9.99. I will do this for my other domains as they expire and check out NameSilo in the meantime...

rated:
ShatterGhost said:   I hope this helps, good luck with whatever you choose to do .  
Thank you ShatterGhost for the guide.
I've just transfered a few domains from GoDaddy to NameSilo. The process was very easy, and took about half an hour.

rated:
sivatag said:   I just renewed a .com for $9.99 by letting it expire first. It expired on 5/29/14 and there is a 12 day renewal grace period with no penalty fees (which is $80). I turned off all auto-renewals per my post here on 1/13/14. Before expiration GoDaddy wanted $14.99 to renew and after it changed to $9.81 + 0.18 ICANN fee = $9.99. I will do this for my other domains as they expire and check out NameSilo in the meantime...

That's fine  for some domains but domains with content and or mails I couldn't do that as it means downtime as they are quick to change the DNS and  mails are lost. Not to mention if Googlebot visits at that time!!

rated:
Can you post the link to '...read the sad story of Simmons Mattress Co and the VCs'?

rated:
GoDaddy Domain Name RENEWAL Coupon Codes :

• SAS15ORDER - Save $15 OFF Any $75+ Purchase
  • SAS10ORDER -Save $10 On All Renewals

rated:
sas10order didn't work for .com renewal.

rated:
nanga said:   sas10order didn't work for .com renewal.
  didn't work for me either. guess i would have to check out namesilo after all...

rated:
35 % off any .com / .net / .org / etc domain

WOWxx90xs

enjoy

rated:
HIENA said:   35 % off any .com / .net / .org / etc domain

WOWxx90xs

enjoy

~~The promotional code you entered is invalid or ineligible for some of the items you are purchasing.

rated:
GoDaddy Coupons 35% Off Renewals
gd4639 

GoDaddy Coupons 35% Off Purchase
WOWcjc295d

rated:
wow this is extensive. thanks for taking the time!

rated:
McLovin said:   GoDaddy Coupons 35% Off Renewals
gd4639 

GoDaddy Coupons 35% Off Purchase
WOWcjc295d

Nope
gd4639
The code you entered is invalid

rated:
no re-newal codes working. just paid $12.50 to re-new one.
but once Google Domains go live, i'll be transferring all my domains. Free Private registration woot!

rated:
It's been few months . GoDaddy is not good for renewals anymore .. they are trying to build the numbers to go public and competition from google started few weeks ago .  I have moved around 705 of my domains to some one else ..

rated:
still no renewal code

GD4639: The code you entered is invalid.

rated:
30% off - mma30mma30 

rated:
jodancer said:   
sivatag said:   I just renewed a .com for $9.99 by letting it expire first. It expired on 5/29/14 and there is a 12 day renewal grace period with no penalty fees (which is $80). I turned off all auto-renewals per my post here on 1/13/14. Before expiration GoDaddy wanted $14.99 to renew and after it changed to $9.81 + 0.18 ICANN fee = $9.99. I will do this for my other domains as they expire and check out NameSilo in the meantime...

That's fine  for some domains but domains with content and or mails I couldn't do that as it means downtime as they are quick to change the DNS and  mails are lost. Not to mention if Googlebot visits at that time!!

I have transferred a lot of live domains to namesilo and there is no loss of mails or downtime. namesilo keeps the current nameservers and does not change them so there is no reason for downtime.

rated:
grapeeatsplum said:   30% off - mma30mma30
  30% off - mma30 
tried it, works

rated:
ShatterGhost said:   
You should have time to transfer the domain if the domain has not expired yet, they like you to do it within a week of expiration but it should go through as long as GoDaddy has not put the domain into a expired locked status.  The transfers that I did to namesilo took about 30 minutes to complete so the process is pretty much streamlined and straightforward.  I followed these steps to make the process simple. 

1. Created an account on namesilo.com
2. Logged into my GoDaddy account and launched the Domain Manager on the domain you want to transfer.
3. Under DOMAIN SETTINGS manage the LOCK setting and unlock the domain so it can be transferred. (I think GoDaddy has them locked by default)
4. Scroll down to the AUTHORIZATION CODE section at the bottom and have it email you the authorization code. (You use this code to initiate the transfer on namesilo)
5. Once you receive the authorization code, log into name silo and select the TRANSFER tab.
6. Put your domain name in the transfer a single domain and click search.
7. Put in the authorization code that GoDaddy emailed you and click Transfer these domains.
8. At this point I believe you pay for the domain transfer using the code buckoff it should be $7.39 
9. You will receive an email from GoDaddy about the transfer and you need to click the approve link in the email.  
10. It will log you into your GoDaddy account and you can either approve or deny the transfer.  Approve it if you want to allow the transfer to go through.
11. You then should get an email from namesilo and you go to your account there and accept the transfer and it is done. 

It sounds like a long process but the back and forth emails are there to protect your domain from just anyone initiating a transfer so although it seems like a hassle it is a good thing all around.
The emails that they send are not confusing and they explain the whole process.  Since you already used the authorization code in the initial transfer and have unlocked the domain at GoDaddy, godday will allow the transfer to take place and it will only take about a half of an hour for the whole process to work it's way through and you will see the domain name in your namesilo account. 

As far as what happens if you don't renew at GoDaddy, well a few things can happen.  GoDaddy may put a grace period on it, I have had an expired domain sit for about 30 days with no action happen to it but I wouldn't count on that since GoDaddy is all about making money so they may put a price tag on that grace period, if the domain goes defunct it may end up in the available domain pool so you can acquire it again or one of those domain squatting companies may buy it up and then charge you a premium price to buy it back.  I haven't let a domain expire in awhile or looked them back up when they do so the process could be different these days, I am sorry that I don't have any current information on that situation for you.  Perhaps some other people on here can chime in and let us know about their experiences with expired GoDaddy domains. 

I hope this helps, good luck with whatever you choose to do .  

Race cars and hot female spokespersons must cost lots of money.
all the distant good feelings I had about GoDaddy are all but washed away by their outlandish prices. 

thanks for the guide, it simplified the process of removing my domains from the financially treacherous grasp of GoDaddy
Hello namesilo!

rated:
Can't get any of the renewal codes to work.  My domain expires today and it's the same price as last night. It's $9.62 + .18 = $9.80.  It says it's 35% off.  Seems some people got different prices for domain renewal.  Anybody get anything lower than $9.80?

rated:
ONJ said:   Can't get any of the renewal codes to work.  My domain expires today and it's the same price as last night. It's $9.62 + .18 = $9.80.  It says it's 35% off.  Seems some people got different prices for domain renewal.  Anybody get anything lower than $9.80?
  Yeah, coupons are hard to find. 

rated:
I tried to get one of the offers for a new domain (I don't even bother trying with renewal codes now as none work and it's far cheaper at Namesilo anyway) but the 1.99 and 2.99 codes looked tempting. Forget it! none would work. Probably will for new customers but if you were a long loyal customer you get treated like ****.

rated:
Signed up a site for $0.99. Coupons hard to find though.

rated:
ONJ said:   Can't get any of the renewal codes to work.  My domain expires today and it's the same price as last night. It's $9.62 + .18 = $9.80.  It says it's 35% off.  Seems some people got different prices for domain renewal.  Anybody get anything lower than $9.80?
  How did you even get $9.80?  That's good.  I'm trying to renew 4 domains, and the lowest I get is $51 with varying prices ($10.81 to $14.99)..

rated:
Just got my Beta code for Google Domains, I am going to begin the process of switching over since all the coupons have dried up.

rated:
dedicke said:   Just got my Beta code for Google Domains, I am going to begin the process of switching over since all the coupons have dried up.
  Thanks for pointing this out. How long did it take to get your code? How much? -I apologize if this was covered in a previous post.

rated:
I just switched all of my domains from GoDaddy to Namecheap and Google Domains (you can find Namecheap promo codes here: https://www.namecheap.com/promos/coupons.aspx).

I took the conservative route and paid a slight bit more because I'm not comfortable going all in with NameSilo yet, but maybe next year. I'm definitely keeping them on my list of registrars to watch.

rated:
Found these.. gd4735c for 39% new products, total order and WOWUS35OFF for Labor Day Up to 35% Off Entire Order

rated:
$1.49 .com or transfer
code mma149

rated:
I just renewed my hosting package and registered a new domain for two years with privacy.

The prices were as follows:

no coupon = $128.20

30off = $116.41
mma30 = $116.41
go32off6 = $115.49
35off = $114.11
WOWxx90xs = $114.11
mma199 = $112.20
mma149 = $111.70
cjcrmn3cp = $99.23

After I placed the order they presented me with a summary and the discount code I used took nothing off of the hosting package. The discount all applied to the new domain and privacy.

I should have ordered the domain separate from the hosting to get two different discounts.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 148495051 52
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014