Home Depot Mulch $2.50/ bag

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Forgot the brand but picked up 4 bags yesterday at $2.50 each, normally $3.50. Brand was something like American ... and I think is dyed red cedar, thought it strange that the bag did not say so but smelled it and sho nuff it smelled like cedar.

Bought in Staten Island, NY on Forest Ave

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Only good if you live near a Menard's (mid-west)

phlydude (Apr. 25, 2007 @ 1:11p) |

I bought 20 bags of the red mulch from HD in Waltham, MA for $2.50 per bag then I had a $10 discount bringing the total ... (more)

jfeirouz (Apr. 30, 2007 @ 8:49p) |

I can believe that!

labboypro (Apr. 30, 2007 @ 8:58p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

how many cubit feet per bag? its almost always cheaper to buy it by the cubic yard at a gardening center then in bags at HD/WalMart/etc

I'd say it was the regular size that other brands were selling at normal price for. Not sure what's wrong with this brand but my main concern was that it wasn't Katrina trees, bag said it was made in Canada...

I'm going back there tonight to pick up some more since my yard is such a mess and this stuff is great to cover up bare spots. Nice scent too!

Squeezer99 said: how many cubit feet per bag? its almost always cheaper to buy it by the cubic yard at a gardening center then in bags at HD/WalMart/etc

What's a cubit? (Sheepish grin for the Old Bill Cosby reference)

They have 3 or 4 sku's for mulch. I've seen a $2.49 bag a few weeks ago. Just part of normal inventory and pricing.

Warning!
I bought some of this mulch and returned it after I found some termites in it. This stuff comes from downed Katrina trees out of the LA area.

found crack and a empty casing from a 9

certifed mulch link

SaveTheChildren said: Warning!
I bought some of this mulch and returned it after I found some termites in it. This stuff comes from downed Katrina trees out of the LA area.

Urban legend.

2cf bags of "Great Gardens" brand from Long Island Compost Company at H D in Westchester NY.
See certified mulch link in a prior posting.
Bag says enhanced red color, product appears to be a very pleasing brown color, perhaps slightly reddish brown.
Shelf tage shows price through 4/25
Different brand is shown in the circular as 4/$10. good through today.
I expect brand/supplier varies location to location.

For those who live in LA, mulch can be obtained for FREE. No limit.

Link

Warning! I bought some of this mulch and returned it after I found some termites in it. This stuff comes from downed Katrina trees out of the LA area.
Some people will just believe anything they hear.

Good price for small jobs; high price for big jobs.

The urban legends are back about the mulch again.... Most of the mulch you see these days is either pine or cedar. The stuff in bags may have a few spiders in it, but this stuff is not Katrina debris, nor is it over-infested with termites. First, Katrina tree debris has been ground up by on site cleanup crews and taken to the public highway department sites where local residents can get as much of it they want for free. This is not commercially sold. Many communities offer the same free mulch service at their local town highway department or dump site. Maintenance crews who deal with trees in the right of way and take away yard debris either grind it or compost it and use it on public property and/or give it away to residents.

The only caveat to this is the chance you'll get diseased-tree bark and wood mixed in, which can help spread those diseases to your garden, but even the chance of that isn't enormous when a mulch pile starts cooking (watch one after it rains during the warmer weather and the microbes get busy). Also, if your town is willing to grind black walnut trees, it will stunt the growth of the plants that are mulched with it.

A lot of bagged mulch itself cooks as it awaits purchase, and its way too warm to make most crawly things a permanent home, although nothing precludes a few bugs from hanging around temporarily (usually originating from the garden center itself). It's nature being nature.

The biggest thing to remember about natural mulch is that you should not pile it up against the foundation of your house. Leave a barrier. Mulch can attract mice and carpenter ants (among others) and if you pile the stuff right up against the foundation, they'll go looking for a way in.

Many of the dyed brands stay that way for a season and then lose their coloring - some premium brands seem to last longer. The cedar seems to be the easiest to work with for me, and as it decomposes, it enriches the soil. If you start to see leaves yellowing, the decomposition process might be robbing too much nitrogen from the soil, so you might want to fertilize.

It is $2.75 at Meijer and there is a 10% off coupon in their Garden Center Catalog. I bought 2 bags of red mulch last weekend when there was a 20% off with their credit card. It came out ~$2 per bag for me. The 20% off is now gone, but the coupon is good through July. So it is still a bit cheaper than HD.

rbrittigan said: Squeezer99 said: how many cubit feet per bag? its almost always cheaper to buy it by the cubic yard at a gardening center then in bags at HD/WalMart/etc

What's a cubit? (Sheepish grin for the Old Bill Cosby reference)

Hahaha

DING.... Noah!
WHAT!! What do you want!!
... im not takin one of them out... you change one of them!

Hahaha... many a afternoon listining to that LP.

For those in Utah. You can buy mulch at the green waste recycling in Pleasant Grove for $7.50 a cubic yard. I got 3 trailers full for $135 last October, approx. 30 cubic yards of mulch. They tend to overfill the bucket.

A question to the gardening experts. What do i need to cover the bare spots in my flower beds? Do I have to put anything between the dirt and the mulch? Right now I have grass growing out next to my plants.

yup you'll want to put a barrier between the dirt and the mulch so weeds won't grow. HD sells both black plastic or a fiberglass mesh cloth in the garden center for this purpose

Squeezer99 said: how many cubit feet per bag? its almost always cheaper to buy it by the cubic yard at a gardening center then in bags at HD/WalMart/etc

I would trash either of my vehicles if I loaded them with 27 cubic feet of mulch.

However, the bags will load just fine (multiple trips required for the full cubic yard).

My point: not everyone has a truck or trailer for bulk loads of mulch

Not that hot...I bought the same stuff at Menards for $2.00 a bag.

Jasmyn said: Not that hot...I bought the same stuff at Menards for $2.00 a bag.

$2 a bag ? wow you must live in a low cost of living area but for NYC $2.50 aint bad !

For those in the NYC area, free compost!

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/about/column.shtml

Only good if you live near a Menard's (mid-west)

I bought 20 bags of the red mulch from HD in Waltham, MA for $2.50 per bag then I had a $10 discount bringing the total down to $2.00 per bag. I was then in the Natick area and went to HD and it was $2.00 per bag for the same stuff. Used an Ace Hardware $10 coupon of a $50 purchase and picked up 25 more bags. That came out to $1.60 per bag. Each bag is 2 Cubic Feet and there are 27 Cubic feet in a yard so my cost was under $25 per yard for the whole project. The mulch looks great and smells great but it is not the same quality as the good quality hemlock. The bag is just labeled "Red Mulch" and it is a dyed cedar, so the color may fade in a few months. It was bagged in Atlanta, GA. (BTW WalMart has the same stuff for $3.50 a bag. This mulch is all over MA.)

TomT said: Some people will just believe anything they hear.

I can believe that!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014