• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Get ready for the long hot summer...

Home Depot have an Everstar 10000 BTU portable unit (good for 400 sqft) (model MPM1-10CR-BB6) with 5 year warranty for $399.99 (+ tax). It isn't the one shown on their website, so I won't link to it.

Most air conditioners of this capacity are in the $450 - $550 region, with only 1 year of warranty.

They also have an Everstar 8000 BTU model (good for 250 sqft) for $299.

BTW, Frys B&M have a 12000 BTU unit for $429.99 (might be after rebate).

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Get ready

Benjamin1 (Jul. 05, 2007 @ 5:21a) |

I bought this unit on Home Depot, does not come with manual or water pipe in the box. Now I was wondering if anybody has... (more)

wca53 (Aug. 08, 2007 @ 4:19p) |

Just let everyone know this air conditioner is on sale now on Home depot Everstar 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner $31... (more)

wca53 (Aug. 10, 2007 @ 9:30p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

http://houston.craigslist.org/fur/319518243.html

Pictures of it (sort of) here.

speedwell said: http://houston.craigslist.org/fur/319518243.html

Pictures of it (sort of) here.
Yup, that's the one, although they have linked to the wrong one on the HD website.

BTW, I bought one of these today, and although I know absolutely nothing about air conditioners, I'm pretty happy with it. It chucks out a lot of cold air and has a nice digital remote control. I spent some time looking thru CostCo, Sam's Club, Frys, etc., but saw nothing in this price range. The only other one I was considering was a Sharp 10000 BTU unit at Home Depot for $450 after the 10% deal (Costco have the same one for $470). However it was $90 more and only had a year's warranty. Mind you, I'm not sure what you are expected to do if these things stop working... mail all 115 lbs of it back?

I've been looking into getting one for a little bit. An issue to consider (from the various portable AC reviews i've read) is that this has a bucket to catch water which needs to be emptied periodically. Some companies (Maytag and Fedder from what I'm aware of) exhaust the water back out the exhaust pipe preventing the need to clear out the water. Also water collection is dependant on the humidity in your area.

Wonder if this will stack with the 10% off coupon you can get out of the post office change of address mailer

I was dying last summer because of lack of a/c.
I was able to find an Everstar portable a/c (same one on HD's website) for $240 on Craigslist, so I'd suggest finding one locally before spending 3-4 hundred on a new one.
Don't let the pictures fool you, these things are pretty big in size, and quite heavy.
Using the a/c right now and couldn't be happier; it cools the room within minutes, my only gripe is that it's kinda loud.

would you mind letting me know the dimensions of the box - i'd like to pick one up but i don't have a truck and wonder if it'll fit in my car.

thanks.

speedwell said: would you mind letting me know the dimensions of the box - i'd like to pick one up but i don't have a truck and wonder if it'll fit in my car.

thanks.
34"H x 28"W x 18"D and 115 lbs. It fitted into the back seat of my Camry.

Are there any reviews on this? Also, is this one energy hog? Thanks

perfect! many thanks.

SH94 said: Are there any reviews on this? Also, is this one energy hog? ThanksEER of 8.9

one more question - sorry...

does this need any kind of installation - outlet pipe for example - or is it free standing and you wheel it where it's needed?

thanks.

I have never heard of a portable air conditioner that does not need a vent through a window or door. I assume this one needs a vent as well.

speedwell said: one more question - sorry...

does this need any kind of installation - outlet pipe for example - or is it free standing and you wheel it where it's needed?

thanks.
Yeah, you need to vent it. It comes with a window vent kit as well as a wall vent adapter. All portable air conditioners are pretty much the same in this respect.

Gotcha - thanks once more.

That's not going to work for me - the only windows in my bedroon are large patio type doors which I could leave ajar but that sort of defeats the purpose Shame too since I just remodeled - I should've thought of this..

Cheers.

speedwell said: That's not going to work for me - the only windows in my bedroon are large patio type doors which I could leave ajar but that sort of defeats the purpose Shame too since I just remodeled - I should've thought of this..Easy fix. Just pick up a sledge hammer while you're at HD. You'll have no problem making a hole in the wall for the vent.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: speedwell said: That's not going to work for me - the only windows in my bedroon are large patio type doors which I could leave ajar but that sort of defeats the purpose Shame too since I just remodeled - I should've thought of this..Easy fix. Just pick up a sledge hammer while you're at HD. You'll have no problem making a hole in the wall for the vent.

Ha! Sounds like a perfect excuse to get some big, knobbly power tools as well

Thank you. Just got in on it tonight as the store was closing. We couldn't find any on the floor and got no help from customer service .So as we looked around stumbled across someone who helped us out and turned out to be a manager.Apparently they forgot to put them out and had 28 in the rear of the store.He was really pissed and my wife heard him balling out some of the employees.Cool thing about it was we also had a 20% off coupon that we were able to stack on top of the 10% off which brought it down to like 287 and change plus tax.We're very pleased and the unit seems to be working very well.Thanks again.

Trevlar said: Thank you. Just got in on it tonight as the store was closing. We couldn't find any on the floor and got no help from customer service .So as we looked around stumbled across someone who helped us out and turned out to be a manager.Apparently they forgot to put them out and had 28 in the rear of the store.He was really pissed and my wife heard him balling out some of the employees.Cool thing about it was we also had a 20% off coupon that we were able to stack on top of the 10% off which brought it down to like 287 and change plus tax.We're very pleased and the unit seems to be working very well.Thanks again.
what do you need to set it up? Thanks

Everything is included.For now we used the window adapter that's basically a strip of plastic with a hole in it that you set up in a partially open window.You hook the supplied 4" diameter vent hose to the plastic strip.The hose narrows down to fit into the approx. 3 inch wide strip.The strip can be adjusted to fit a standard window and weather striping is also included to prevent air leakage.Eventually I'm going to make a hole in my wall to vent the unit.The hose can extend to approx. 54 inches.

Any thoughts on venting into a garage that is not used to house cars (ever)? I know it's most likely a danger (and code violation) if you store vehicles in your garage, but we use our garage for a storage and work area. Any other major drawbacks?

Herby said: Any thoughts on venting into a garage that is not used to house cars (ever)? I know it's most likely a danger (and code violation) if you store vehicles in your garage, but we use our garage for a storage and work area. Any other major drawbacks?I am no expert but... if it is very well ventilated then maybe. However, AC units vent a lot of water vapor, and I wouldn't want to pump that into my garage. Might lead to mold or something else nasty. Plus you might get back-pressure build up and the AC unit won't work efficiently. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

For those who have this, how often do you have to empty the bucket? For example, can it go through the night? Also, how noisy is it, i.e. can you sleep while it is running?

I was wondering if it was possible to vent this unit out a chimney. Because of the set up in our apt, this is the only possible way to vent it. Thanks for the help

Costco.com now has the 9.7 EER Royal Sovereign 10,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control for $349.99 + $50 shipping.

On 5/10, costco.com will have the WindChaser 9 EER 10,000 BTU Single Hose Portable Air Conditioner for $269.99 + shipping.

Both of them vent the exhaust water so there is no water tank to empty.

taf said: Costco.com now has the 9.7 EER Royal Sovereign 10,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control for $349.99 + $50 shipping.

On 5/10, costco.com will have the WindChaser 9 EER 10,000 BTU Single Hose Portable Air Conditioner for $269.99 + shipping.

Both of them vent the exhaust water so there is no water tank to empty.

Sound like good deals?
The EER difference should not matter much for people who need to use this for a few weeks (like in the SJ bay area).

Any experiences with the Windchaser units?

I was looking at those Costco deals too. We just had a 10,000 BTU Everstar unit fail in the office. The exhaust fan motor is scraping against something and making one hell of a loud racket. After trying to fix it I'm not sure I'm buying an Everstar again though.

WDK said: I was looking at those Costco deals too. We just had a 10,000 BTU Everstar unit fail in the office. The exhaust fan motor is scraping against something and making one hell of a loud racket. After trying to fix it I'm not sure I'm buying an Everstar again though.Sounds like an easy fix... for someone handy.

TellyTubby said: WDK said: I was looking at those Costco deals too. We just had a 10,000 BTU Everstar unit fail in the office. The exhaust fan motor is scraping against something and making one hell of a loud racket. After trying to fix it I'm not sure I'm buying an Everstar again though.Sounds like an easy fix... for someone handy. Haha well I couldn't figure out how to get past the copper heatpipes that snake all throughout the unit that were soldered together to get to the fan motor that I needed to without resorting to some more powerful tools... Plus I'm not handy enough

DeLonghi CF210 8500 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
List Price: $800.00
Price: $287.53 + free shipping at Amazon

DeLonghi PAC290 Portable Air Conditioner
List Price: $1,800.00
Price: $420.00 + free shipping at Amazon

I purchased 3 portable air conditioner in past three years. Noise is the crucial problem that makers will not let you know from their specifications, but it is really important. If you will use conditioner through the night, you need compare noise level in person.

I now only find the Sharp is in acceptable level at night. The difference between sharp and others(delong and haier I had owned) is the same as comparing engine noise by opening and closing engine hood.

daydaydvd said: I purchased 3 portable air conditioner in past three years. Noise is the crucial problem that makers will not let you know from their specifications, but it is really important. If you will use conditioner through the night, you need compare noise level in person.

I now only find the Sharp is in acceptable level at night. The difference between sharp and others(delong and haier I had owned) is the same as comparing engine noise by opening and closing engine hood.

I am new to A/C units and was wanting to ask about this. I 'bout to move into a bitty apt., and need a quiet A/C unit
Thanks for the info!

re: noise

They seem to have the dB rating listed for some, right? How reliable are these, and what's your experience on an acceptable dB rating?

i too have concerns about nosie level. i brought one of these portable ac from home depot last summer. at night, it was twice louder than the window ac. i curious if anyone has experience with ACs from bed&bath. it says, it has quiet technology.

i have a bad experience with the term quite technology label on the box. i spent an extra a few hundred on a window friedrich AC thinking it would be quiter compare to others. it's called quiet master. the ac ended up to be louder than my car engine. f-ing nosie level was high.

The Everstar is quite noisy, but not much more so than the built-in AC in my last apt. It has several fan speeds, the quietest of which I could sleep through. There are always ear plugs anyway. I don't know how the Sharp unit manages to be "library quiet" but I'm guessing that that applies to a mode that doesn't push much cold air out.

BTW, those DeLonghi models at Amazoon are a prime example of Amazoon's tendency to exaggerate list prices and discounts. The actual prices look about right to me.

How is the water bucket on the Everstar's? I need one for my home office but I sure don't wantto be empting the stupid thing every day - or worse. Also concerned about the noise. I saw where someone said it was noisy - I can't live without my speaker phone!

I'm in the market as well, last year in So Cal was brutal for the Electric bill.

If you live in So Cal (City of Industry) you can save shipping charges with will call from this merchandiser. I hear dual hose is much better at getting the room cooled down, and sending back outside the evaporated water. They have three or four model of such. Not to familiar with SPT brand, but I believe Newegg carries them.

http://americanesuperstore.stores.yahoo.net/supoairco.html

I just bought the Sharp 10000btu from costco yesterday. It is pretty quiet. But it seems like it's not that cool to me. I had a SuperTown 10000btu last year which broke and it seems to be cooler than the Sharp. Maybe mine is defective. I'll test it out for a couple of days, if it's the same, I'll exchange it.

Skipping 20 Messages...
Just let everyone know this air conditioner is on sale now on Home depot Everstar 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner $317

might be you guys can ask for price match

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014