• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've been wondering where the Behr sale was since HD does it every holiday - and it is not mentioned in this week's ad. However, last night I saw a TV commercial for a BEHR paint sale ($6 off 1 gal cans, $25 off 5 gal - by rebate). Couldn't believe it but after poking around, found the rebate form so this rebate is CONFIRMED! Starts Saturday 6/30/07!

Rebate form: http://www.behr.com/images/announcement/20070630_us_promo_rebate_en.pdf?from=announcement

And I bet all you paint shoppers were wondering if only Glidden paint would be on sale this July 4th holiday (actually the last day for the Glidden rebate is 6/30/07).

Happy painting!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Anybody use the $50 coupon off a 5 gallon ext. recently from this thread?
$50 coupon thread

Marlin1975 (Jul. 06, 2007 @ 10:10a) |

I purchased a 5 gallon bucket from HD and just received a $35 rebate. For the 5 gallon bucket you just write the UPC co... (more)

winkep58 (Jul. 17, 2007 @ 1:56p) |

So I did a kids treehouse with Behr Solid Latex/Oil 10 year stain about 12 years ago and it still looks great. It's on ... (more)

oldgrump (Sep. 28, 2007 @ 7:22a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

anyone know how much a gallon normally cost from home depot?

jaredb03 said: anyone know how much a gallon normally cost from home depot?

Anywhere from approx $22-$26, depends whether its satin, semi-gloss, etc.

I've been waiting for Lowes to do their rebate on Valspar (American Tradition). They used to do a couple a year but I have not seen one for quite some time.. Anybody know if there is any sort of standard dates that they do their rebates? I prefer the Valspar over Behr.

Never use HD paint rebates. The form requires the UPC but the paint can has the UPC printed on the can, so you need to send in the whole 25 gal bucket, to get your rebate. I sent in a copy of the UPC, and they turned me down because it was not the original. HD is no help, as they say its a manufacturer rebate. I never have had much luck with HD rebates.

I have done these rebates 2 or 3 times and never had a problem, but I never bought the 5 gallon bucket either. You do want to make sure your cans have UPC's on them though. I remember the first time I did this rebate, they almost gave me a can with a missing UPC. Some person must have swiped it, pretty low.

So what is the quality of Behr relative to Kelly-Moore or some other supposedly
high quality paint?

Looking to paint >3000 sq ft house.

thanks,

M

Thanks.

When getting a rebate for a paint can without a detachable printed UPC, you're supposed to write the UPC code on the rebate form (as instructed to do so on the form). I've participated in the last two HD BEHR rebates and have not had any problems.

Quality of BEHR paint is good IMO. Have used their flat and semi-gloss - both are great and were scrubbable. Some people complain BEHR paint is too thick, if you add a little water it helps to thin it out (and you end up having more paint!). But don't thin too much because you won't get good one-coat coverage.

barryo said: The form requires the UPC but the paint can has the UPC printed on the can, so you need to send in the whole 25 gal bucket, to get your rebate.

Yes, as clearly stated on the form (just above the strangely placed "write UPC numbers here" section, you have to mail in the whole 5 gallon bucket. *cough cough*

/reading is fundamental
//the slashies strike again

I have talked to some painters who have said the Behr paint has dropped in quality a bit of late. Some seem to say it has gotten thinner a little and does not coat as well. This is not me saying this so don;t take it at my word.

Also Lowes has their Valspar on sale this week as well. It has very high ratings and has good feedback from what I have heard. I just bought a fixer upper house and will be buying 10 gallons of their paint.

Anybody ever use a 10% off coupon and also get the rebate?

barryo said: Never use HD paint rebates. The form requires the UPC but the paint can has the UPC printed on the can, so you need to send in the whole 25 gal bucket, to get your rebate. I sent in a copy of the UPC, and they turned me down because it was not the original. HD is no help, as they say its a manufacturer rebate. I never have had much luck with HD rebates.
Amazing how many things are just completely wrong in this post...

how much is a 5 gallon?

I don't know if they are still available but HD had some instant coupons for $10 off per gallon of Behr exterior house paint.
They were available primarily at the contractor's desk, although some people got them from the paint counter.
I used one in conjuction with the rebate over Memorial Day.
I am still waiting to get my rebate, but that reduced the price of the paint quite a bit.
You might have to ask for them.
My HD asked if I had a contractors account.
I said no, but the coupon doesn't say that is a requirement to use it- so the mgr agreed to it.
The coupons had no expiration date.

Thanks

seningen said: So what is the quality of Behr relative to Kelly-Moore or some other supposedly
high quality paint?

thanks,

M

Not even close. Behr is low end consumer grade paint. If you want the good stuff go to a paint store and shop where the pros buy paint.

There are more solids in skim milk that crappy "Bare" paint.

I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports listed Behr as being number 1. By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

henny said: Not even close. Behr is low end consumer grade paint. If you want the good stuff go to a paint store and shop where the pros buy paint.

Armchair quarterback?

When do they do the 50%-off gallon deals?

christoffs said: By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Can anyone confirm that this true? If it is, why the heck pay the premium price for the same paint?

Thanks everyone.

christoffs said: I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports listed Behr as being number 1. By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Those ratings were a while back. Paint makers change formulas almost yearly.

Like I and some others have said Behr seems to be thinner now then it use to be. While Valspar, lowes high end paint, seems to be moving up. Dutch Boy at WalMart, i.e. Sherwin Williams, seem to be a decent "cheap" paint. But with rebates I am going to stock up on Valspar paint.
That and I thought all Wal-Mart paint was made by sherwin williams paint divison, not Behr? That is a new one.

labboypro said: henny said: Not even close. Behr is low end consumer grade paint. If you want the good stuff go to a paint store and shop where the pros buy paint.

Armchair quarterback?

No, go to the professional coatings forums and see for yourself what professionals think of "Bare" and other brands of low end consumer paints. CR has zero credibility.

Looking at consumer reports, I painted Bher in the first room. My neighbor suggested BMoore. I tried that. and never going back to Bher. The quality is JUST different. The rest of house got coated with BMoore..

Wal-Mart ColorPlace paint is rebadged Sherwin Williams and I have painted two new houses with it. I prefer it over Valspar that you can buy at Lowes . You can take your Valspar color sample fandeck to Wal-Mart and they can mix it there and sell it for $10.00 a gallon instead of $20.00 to $30.00 at Lowes. Wallys color match system has competitors paint formulas in their database so you can pick the Valspar numbers from the fandeck and mix it in ColorPlace. Most Wally paint mixer personnel dont even know their system can do that.
I actually go to Wal-Mart and mix my own paint because there is never anyone there in the paint dept. to do mix it for me.

Do these comments apply to Behr stains too?

henny said: seningen said: So what is the quality of Behr relative to Kelly-Moore or some other supposedly
high quality paint?

thanks,

M

Not even close. Behr is low end consumer grade paint. If you want the good stuff go to a paint store and shop where the pros buy paint.

A brain is a terrible thing to waste.

can you buy paint now and paint later? does it have to mix up before paint?

Marlin1975 said: christoffs said: I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports listed Behr as being number 1. By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Like I and some others have said Behr seems to be thinner now then it use to be. While Valspar, lowes high end paint, seems to be moving up. Dutch Boy at WalMart, i.e. Sherwin Williams, seem to be a decent "cheap" paint. But with rebates I am going to stock up on Valspar paint.
That and I thought all Wal-Mart paint was made by sherwin williams paint divison, not Behr? That is a new one.

News flash, ancient history, MARCH 2007 CONSUMER REPORTS,

Interior paint

Low Luster - Behr #1 - Velspar #3- Dutch Boy #5

Flat - Behr #1 - Velspar # 4 - Dutch Boy #6

Semigloss - Behr #1 - Velspar #3 - Dutch Boy #6

Good Night Now!

Behr rebate sucks! I bought 3 cans 1GL last time when HD has 25% rebate on Behr. I use a $10 off $50 in store coupon for the purchase. I supported to get $18 back, Guess what, Behr sent me a check of $8. My guess is that it deduct the $10 coupon from the rebate. Really sucks!

How does Sherwin Williams paint compare to the Behr paint? I just saw a commercial on HGTV saying the SW paints are on sale 30% this weekend so seems like about the same discount than Behr except no rebate hassle.

DAC21 said: Marlin1975 said: christoffs said: I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports listed Behr as being number 1. By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Interior paint

Good Night Now!

New Flash, New Flash!!

CR has zero credibility. I trust the opinions of professional painters that actually use products day in and day out then Jose that get's paid minimum wage from CR to guess at a rating from a single back room sample. LOL.

CR has just proven their total incompetance.

Hint: Look for names like Dunn Edwards, SW, Pratt and Lambert, Benjamin Moore, Kelly Moore unless you like to buy 2X the coatings to get half the coverage and spend 2X the time.

I learned a long time ago that the best paint jobs are a function of quality prep and quality products and it turns out to be cheaper in the long run. If you don't believe me read the April edition of Home Handyman where they show that low end consumer paint is poor value in the long run.

Hint: The most expensive ingredient in paint is titanium dioxide. (it provides coverage). Go to the MSDS and see for yourself.

dealkk said: can you buy paint now and paint later? does it have to mix up before paint?

I just painted the whole interior, bought the paint about a month ago. Came up a little short when the actual painting went down last week end. I just pulled the numbers off the color mix label on the can, and bought another gallon, perfect match finishing off my bathroom. I don't think it's an issue if you buy it within a a few months of each other.

Also I came up a few square feet short on the ceiling paint, Behr "Swiss Coffee" No $hit I had a 1/4 gallon can left over of the same Behr paint from when I painted my bedroom 9 years ago. I figured what the hey, if it doesn't match up I'll buy a quart of the fresh stuff. No worry, you can't tell the difference. That being said this color is essentially white / off white, probably pure luck.

henny said: labboypro said: henny said: Not even close. Behr is low end consumer grade paint. If you want the good stuff go to a paint store and shop where the pros buy paint.

Armchair quarterback?

No, go to the professional coatings forums and see for yourself what professionals think of "Bare" and other brands of low end consumer paints. CR has zero credibility.

Right, because pros want to paint fast without looking back. It's true that Behr is slightly thinner (not all that big a difference for me, though), so it will run from time to time, but if you take your time, it's easy to look back at your job and quickly fix the problem. Pros won't take the time to do this--it cuts into their profit. So to me, there's no reason to follow their opinions when it comes to Behr. I've mainly used Benj. Moore and Behr (along with SW from time to time--if you buy SW, you need to buy their best, most expensive paints--the others are awful, and the SW paint used by "Pro" painters for new houses is white wash), and I've done quite a bit of painting, and once dry, they are both very durable and they look great. BM makes the job slightly easier, so if this appeals to you, definitely pay the extra money.

henny said: DAC21 said: Marlin1975 said: christoffs said: I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports listed Behr as being number 1. By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Interior paint

Good Night Now!

New Flash, New Flash!!

CR has zero credibility. I trust the opinions of professional painters that actually use products day in and day out then Jose that get's paid minimum wage from CR to guess at a rating from a single back room sample. LOL.

Hint: Look for names like Dunn Edwards, SW, Pratt and Lambert, Benjamin Moore, Kelly Moore unless you like to buy 2X the coatings to get half the coverage and spend 2X the time.

I learned a long time ago that the best paint jobs are a function of quality prep and quality products and it turns out to be cheaper in the long run. If you don't believe me read the April edition of Home Handyman where they show that low end consumer paint is poor value in the long run.

Yeah, the same Dunn Edwards crap put on by Gringo's (I'm a Gringo BTW) on my exterior is pure crap after 4 years.(actually it was crap after three years) Go away Troll

DAC21 said: henny said: DAC21 said: Marlin1975 said: christoffs said: I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports listed Behr as being number 1. By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Interior paint

Good Night Now!

New Flash, New Flash!!

Yeah, the same Dunn Edwards crap put on by Gringo's (I'm a Gringo BTW) on my exterior is pure crap after 4 years.(actually it was crap after three years) Go away Troll

The best paint jobs come from:

1. Proper prep. (50%+)
2. Professional application methods (25%+)
3. Quality products (25%+)

If any of the above are bad then then the entire job will suffer. I'd glady use Behr paint on a properly preped surface over BM on a poorly prepared surface. However I believe in doing all of the above to the best known methods and I won't use low end paint because it doesn't save in the long run.

I've painted three rooms in Behr over the last year and I've gotten inconsistent results. Bedroom took a half a day to prime and paint.
My second room a bathroom, Kitchen and Bath semigloss two colors turned out well very a little splattering smooth second coat. It took a day and a half to prime and paint.

Same paint in the Kitchen but with brighter colors (9months later) and I went through 3 times the paint in approximately 70 larger area. My drying times were crazy, while I am sure humidity played a role it took took a whole afternoon for the first coat to sufficiently dry in order to put on a second coat. I always plan on at least 2nd coat. Prime and paint took better part of a week.

I am no pro, but the paint between the two rooms was quite different.

OK, STOP get to the point! which paint is the best and last the longest in term of quality and price ?

TanItAll said: christoffs said: By the way WalMart sells Kilz brand paint which is really Behr paint relabeled. They cant use the Behr name because of the exclusive HD contract they have.

Can anyone confirm that this true? If it is, why the heck pay the premium price for the same paint?

Thanks everyone.

By the way, I got the Kilz information from my brother who works for Behr Paints in Santa Ana, CA. If you look at that same CR article, I do believe Kilz is rated at #2. Behr employees can buy paint at $10 a gallon.

henny said: ... If you want the good stuff go to a ... store and shop where the pros buy ....

So from that analogy, I should spend $33.50 for a Snap-on long nose pliers vs. 8 bucks down at the local store? Or $1146.60 Snap-on wrench set instead of $149.99 Craftsman ones? After all, that is what the professionals use.

Skipping 21 Messages...
So I did a kids treehouse with Behr Solid Latex/Oil 10 year stain about 12 years ago and it still looks great. It's on 1X6 vertical pine siding which was on sale then at giveaway prices when a local HQ lumberyard closed.

Did the house three years ago with the same product, and it looks like it was just applied! That was on clear vertical grain cedar siding with a BMoore oil base primer.

We've been real happy with the Behr. I can understand why CR gave it such a good rating.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014