• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
UPDATE: Seems some stores are on sale and others are not. Also, the amount discounted varies from store to store. Anywho, call before you head up to your local Super Wal-Mart!

Did some grocery shopping at Super Wal-Mart (w/ the seafood counter) over the weekend and saw that their Alaskan King Crab legs were on sale.

These are not those rock/snow crab legs where you get 1/2 the body and all 4-5 legs. These are the colossal single legs that are each the size of a police baton.

They're usually $10+/lb, so I took home about 8 lbs worth of the stuff. Gonna stock it in my freezer for when I get that serious shellfish craving.

Not sure if this is regional or whatever, but I'm in Austin, TX if that helps.

Good luck and enjoy!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I got the point.
Good thought.

pelermon (Aug. 04, 2007 @ 7:56a) |

Yes, we understand. I can relate as I continously bang my head against a brick wall because it feels good when I stop.

PeakMaster (Aug. 04, 2007 @ 8:37a) |

F#ck the King Crab.

Where can I get a deal on Mike Rowe? Let me drizzle some drawn butter on him and gobble him up!

Wheezy (Aug. 04, 2007 @ 10:16p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

dude good luck. I bought some salmon from them. It looked great at the store and was about 2.99 a pound (the same stuff usually sells for 7.99). I cooked it and took one bite and threw it away, it was absolutely horrible. I refuse to buy meat from that store as they have almost no quality control of buy sub-par meat to sell cheaply. I hope these work out for you, but I would encourage people to buy a pound first and try it out and if they like it buy more. The stuff can be really hit or miss. I know it is hard to mess up crab legs, but seriously try it out first.

Uh, it wasn't sub-par... I had it for dinner last night. It was tender, succulent, and super sweet.

It sounds like you bought some fish that has been sitting in the seafood counter for quite some time, which is probably why it wasn't so fresh.

The key is NOT to buy directly from the seafood counter. Ask the seafood guy to go behind into the freezer and get the stuff. They have boxes and boxes of these legs in the back that are frozen and have never been thawed out/sitting there for days.

This is what I've have always done (including this time), and I've never been burned with this once per year Alaskan King Crab leg sale.

tante said: dude good luck. I bought some salmon from them. It looked great at the store and was about 2.99 a pound (the same stuff usually sells for 7.99). I cooked it and took one bite and threw it away, it was absolutely horrible. I refuse to buy meat from that store as they have almost no quality control of buy sub-par meat to sell cheaply. I hope these work out for you, but I would encourage people to buy a pound first and try it out and if they like it buy more. The stuff can be really hit or miss. I know it is hard to mess up crab legs, but seriously try it out first.

So we eat the crab legs...
Every now and then some poor soul on Deadliest Catch gets washed overboard...
The crabs eat them...
Then get caught and shipped to Wal-Mart...
Then we eat the crab legs...
And the cycle continues.

I think you're talking about those Super WalMart, right?

Yes, you are right, those are the ones with the seafood counter. I'll revise the topic accordingly.

Thx!

Duckiecon said: I think you're talking about those Super WalMart, right?

These are probably the blue king crab that cooks up red. The true red king crab is what you see on tv. The former is much cheaper and more readily available and is allowed to be sold as red king crab.

Not sure exactly how the blue king crab is different, but these looked identical to the red king crabs that I see on TV.

The legs are about 1.5 ft in length and are spiny/spikey just like the ones on the Discovery show.

vinny09 said: These are probably the blue king crab that cooks up red. The true red king crab is what you see on tv. The former is much cheaper and more readily available and is allowed to be sold as red king crab.

My bet is they'd be hard core freezer burned and maybe even thawed/refrozen in the parking lot.

Wow, never thought I'd have this many naysayers, but again, I had this for dinner last night.

I'm a big shellfish person (lobster, crawfish, blue/dungeness/rock/king crab, etc), and if these were skunky, I'd NEVER post it. These were absolutely perfect after a quick reheat in boiling water & immediately cooled afterwards with cold water.

Skip it if you wish, just more king crab for me.

glenatuf said: My bet is they'd be hard core freezer burned and maybe even thawed/refrozen in the parking lot.

which WalMart did you go to in austin?

Is this nationwide?

The one up north near Steiner Ranch/620. The seafood counter dude did say it wasn't specific to that store, but I'm not sure if it is nationwide.

Can anyone confirm elsewhere?

d0nniec said: which WalMart did you go to in austin?

Thanks OP I will go check it out today!

For those people who live in the South East and do not have/want to go to a WalMart. Publix has tham on sale for 6.99 a pound. I got some yesterday and they were great. We just boiled them for 1 minute to heat them up. Will more then likley stop at Publix on the way home and grab some more.
PUBLIX CRAB LEGS

I don't mean to be a naysayer. When king crab legs go on sale, they're definitely a treat. I was just trying to share what I've learned regarding the red king crab: linky Most of the time, you will see the one in the middle (reddish/orange); usually around $12-$15/lb. Only in the high end fish markets have I ever seen the true red king crab leg (almost maroon); usually $18+/lb. Either way, tastewise, both are very similar. I think when drenched in clarified butter, one would find it difficult to differentiate the two. Seems like there was a huge catch this year, so maybe we will see more sales like this everywhere.

supafunk said: Not sure exactly how the blue king crab is different, but these looked identical to the red king crabs that I see on TV.

The legs are about 1.5 ft in length and are spiny/spikey just like the ones on the Discovery show.

vinny09 said: These are probably the blue king crab that cooks up red. The true red king crab is what you see on tv. The former is much cheaper and more readily available and is allowed to be sold as red king crab.

wow, thanks!
i will have to check this out.
DS's newest favorite is crab legs.
we splurged for him when eating out 2 week-ends ago so he could get crab legs. i didnt know a 14 year old could eat so much....

I am leaving right now to check it out. Husband's birthday is coming up so it would make a nice dinner.

Wow, that's good info to know, thanks vinny. Yeah, these most likely are the blue king crab then as the regular price is around $14/lb I believe.

When I had 2 legs for dinner last night (which really filled me up, tons-o-meat), I just threw it in some boiling water, immediately took it out when it boiled again, and ran it under cold water.

My personal preference is just some fresh squeezed lemon juice and julianne'd fresh ginger ... the meat really is too good/sweet to drown it out with a ton of butter.

I'm not sure about the huge catch, but I know these go on sale about once a year everywhere. That's usually when I stock up.

vinny09 said: I don't mean to be a naysayer. When king crab legs go on sale, they're definitely a treat. I was just trying to share what I've learned regarding the red king crab: linky Most of the time, you will see the one in the middle (reddish/orange); usually around $12-$15/lb. Only in the high end fish markets have I ever seen the true red king crab leg (almost maroon); usually $18+/lb. Either way, tastewise, both are very similar. I think when drenched in clarified butter, one would find it difficult to differentiate the two. Seems like there was a huge catch this year, so maybe we will see more sales like this everywhere.

supafunk said: Not sure exactly how the blue king crab is different, but these looked identical to the red king crabs that I see on TV.

the meat really is too good/sweet to drown it out with a ton of butter.

I hear ya. I was just going by how I've seen my friends eat crab. I'm a purist, whether dungeoness or king (my two favorite), I try to cook (dungeoness, since the king is always pre-cooked) and eat it with as little "flavor enhancements" as possible.

Great deal, thanks OP!!!

Are these the same crabs that I see being caught on " The Deadliest Catch' on Discovery Channel. That show is great !!!!!! I never knew that catching crabs is so tough.

No way it can compare to fresh caught crab. You should ask where it comes from.

Avoid Blue King Crab, Red King Crab, Golden King Crab from Russia

Alaska King Crab, Red King Crab, Golden King Crab from Alaska is okay.

You can get the real stuff from http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/
For $270 for ten lbs.....

Heh, I'm in Texas, so "fresh caught" Alaskan King crab is not an option.

It's precooked & frozen, as this stuff is usually sold around here. Given those terms, these are damn good & super fresh.

Hope that helps.

handyguy said: No way it can compare to fresh caught crab. You should ask where it comes from.

Anyone had any luck finding this price elsewhere around the country? I'm in Indianapolis, I'll check after work tonight.

Might I suggest just calling your local Super Wal-Mart and ask to be connected to the seafood dept? Quicker than making the trip.

roehmj1 said: Anyone had any luck finding this price elsewhere around the country? I'm in Indianapolis, I'll check after work tonight.

What's wrong with king crabs from Russia?
Since Alaska and Russia are so close (just across the Bering strait), perhaps the crabs are caught from the same region of water.

handyguy said: No way it can compare to fresh caught crab. You should ask where it comes from.

Nearest Super Wal-Mart is 40 miles away, and now you've got me itching for crab legs! Sounds like a good deal.

just gave a quick call to the Super WalMart in Rosemead, CA and it's priced at $9.98/lb so may be a local deal.

Just called my local WalMart Superstore. No deal there. They are $10.98 a pound. Huber Heights, OH.

I just called one in Dallas & in Houston. Both were on sale, but for different prices.

One was $6.95/lb and the other place was $7.95/lb. I guess this is regional and the amount discounted varies as well.

I'll update title to YMMV.

Nice find...Thanks OP!

I thought Costco at Hawthorne/Torrance, CA has similar deal for $7.99 about a week ago. Didn't go there this last weekend.

Nice, thanks OP, MB, SC here so will have to go check..

i was under the impression that they are cooked and flash frozen when caught - i was confused with the "fresh" king crab legs

$8.98 per pound in Fort Worth.

supafunk said: UPDATE: Seems some stores are on sale and others are not. Also, the amount discounted varies from store to store. Anywho, call before you head up to your local Super Wal-Mart!

Did some grocery shopping at Super Wal-Mart (w/ the seafood counter) over the weekend and saw that their Alaskan King Crab legs were on sale.

These are not those rock/snow crab legs where you get 1/2 the body and all 4-5 legs. These are the colossal single legs that are each the size of a police baton.

They're usually $10+/lb, so I took home about 8 lbs worth of the stuff. Gonna stock it in my freezer for when I get that serious shellfish craving.

Not sure if this is regional or whatever, but I'm in Austin, TX if that helps.

Good luck and enjoy!

How can you be sure that these are not "Chinese Crap Feet"?

silverspring said: How can you be sure that these are not "Chinese Crap Feet"?

Uh, what?

the WalMart @ ben white & i35 in austin has it for 8.98.

Skipping 46 Messages...
F#ck the King Crab.

Where can I get a deal on Mike Rowe? Let me drizzle some drawn butter on him and gobble him up!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014