• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have been looking for a decent air compressor to do some work at home and this looks like a good deal.

BRUTE Briggs & Stratton 10 Gallon air compressor Model 074004. Here are the specs

Tank Size 10 Gallons
Maximum Operating Pressure 125 PSI
Horse Power 2.5 (running)
CFM @ 40 PSI 5.1
CFM @ 90 PSI 4.2

You can find more details and picture here:

http://www.brutepower.com/products/air_compressors/product_information/index.cfm?p_id=395&info_id=1

WalMart price.

98.88 + tax. Item Number 001167574004

Hope you find this information helpful.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The CFM @ 40 PSI is worthless. No tools use 40PSI, except maybe a tire inflater.

The CFM @ 90 PSI is just barely enough for power tools. With that in mind, a good impact wrench that can take off a lug nut takes from 8 to 12 CFM depending on the impact wrench.

If you are blowing up tires, this will work. It may be good for a nail gun. For an impact wrench, you can just barely get by but you will need to spend more on the wrench to get a really good one, and even then, your pump will be running full time just to keep up with the demand of the wrench.

I would do more research but stay away from Harbor Freight.

Good luck.

$98 is about the regular price (or regular sale price). It doesn't come with any accessories, so figure another $20 for cheap hose and $10 for the tire nozzles stuff. For comparison I've seen a Husky unit at Home Depot that included tools and such for $200. I think WalMart also sells a 20G version of this w/ some tools but otherwise similar specs.

Mine is sensitive to what outlet I connect it. Directly connected it'll fill up the tank fine the first time but only works to re-pressurize again on certain outlets. Where I'd like to keep it, is where it putters out on the second fill. Not sure if it's the motor build quality or my household wiring that's the problem, but, I guess the former is more of a factor.

I bought it as a replacement for a portable DC compressor I had previously been using. That thing took like 30minutes to top off 4 tires and was very loud. This takes about 1 minute to fill up and I can hit 12 tires around the driveway area no problem in a few minutes. Filling up rafts and air toys for kids, no comparison... well worth the price imo. For the cars, it saves me ~$.50/fill at a gas station (free ones are hard to find) and lots of time. Probably wasn't a great investment but I'm happy with it overall.

Wont run big tools but should be fine for a home improvement compressor. Should run nailers and a grinder. Not a sandblaster or big auto tools. Big tank. Oiled so it should be reasonable on the noise front.

If you want something in the same price/capability range but not as big, try this, its the one I have. Works fine for blowing stuff out and up, nail guns, etc.

You can find 'packages' around the same price that look good, but if you check the cfm ratings you'll find a lot of them top out around 2.8-3.5 at 90PSI. You cant run a framing nailer or some finish nailers at that cfm rating.

http://www.Amazon.com/WEN-5-Gallon-Pancake-Compressor-Yellow/dp/B000TR37E0/ref=sr_11_1/105-7164150-4200427?ie=UTF8&qid=1187874394&sr=11-1

You can get This one at Targett for $75. Same CFMs, smaller tank (6 gal), and it comes with hose,inflaters, and a small nailer. Link is to a craiglist listing (not mine) for picture purposes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014