• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

wow, that seems like a pretty good deal. Costco has a twin tank 4 or 5 gal compressor for $150 that I was looking at getting again. Of course, the beauty of costco is the returns, because I already had one from costco that broke on me. What do you think?

No CFM or pressure ratings and no info on whether its oiled or oilless. And theres a wee bit of a problem in not being able to drive a 3.5hp electric compressor motor through a 15amp 110v circuit. The most a reasonably efficient (in other words 'expensive') induction motor can pull is about 1.25hp (sustained) through a 15 amp circuit.

A 3.5 HP motor would require about a 50 amp circuit and a cord about the thickness of your thumb. And all the lights in the neighborhood would dim every time it kicked in.

Its a bit more likely that this is a horribly inefficient, inexpensive 3.5 HP capable motor operating at 30-50% efficiency that generates something in the .75-1.0 HP range nominal. If its also an oilless unit, it'll run hot and noisy. If the rated CFM is below 4, you cant run big nailers with it. If the rated cfm is below 2, you'll be using it to blow up tires and run a brad nailer or a stapler at best.

The unit at costco is a good bit better than this probably is...if this was oilless and had decent cfm ratings, they'd have published them. My experience with cheap compressors sold at auto parts stores is that they dont have a lot of power to them for the money.

Thanks for the insight! I have to pass by there to pick up some parts anyhow, so I'll check out the box and see if it gives any more detail. I'll post back with my findings.

Thanks for all the info sklar.

yes, thank you so much for the info skylar, very helpful!

I went to the store and found this additional information on the box:

3.5 max HP, continuous 2.5 HP

Oil-lube pump

5.2 CFM at 40 PSI
4.2 CFM at 90 PSI

Max 115 PSI

Can anyone with more experience tell me if this is worth it? Is it worth the $90, and do you think it's powerful enough to use common tools such as a possible spray gun, air racket gun for tightening nuts?

Thanks for any info!

I have a couple of compressors that I use for building and finish nailing. I bought one of these so I now have 3. The compressor would not start after I filled it with oil and plugged it in. Just went click. Called number on box. Guy said just take it back after trying reset button. I plugged it in another plug and it shot sparks out breather then ran perfect. It had tripped my first plug-in(GFCI) but I was using medium sized extension cord, not my heavy duty one. I'm keeping it and tried running it up and down and runs perfect. Guy at Advance said to run it for 20 minutes with air open and that should set it in which I did. I think great deal for the money obviously. Now trying to get $50 for my old craftsman compressor that I've used for years and built a few houses with.Interesting how some people tell how something is a bad deal because it's probably not a lot of things and they know nothing about the product being sold. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of a deal which they know nothing about. Check it yourself if your interested or find info from people that have actually seen product.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014