• filter:
  • 1567 8 9
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Print for in-store or use online, 20% off one item:
http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon....

rated:
I had the coupon for the torque wrenches (killer at $9.99/ea) on my ipad email. showed the ipad to the guy, he accepted it. so yeah, they want the biz however they can get it.

had to ask the mgr to fetch the 1-ton shop crane for me, wnated the 2-ton but they discontinued it, asked what the deal was - he didn't know but offered to check the back and found one - he not only offered me the sale price but specifically asked if I had a 20% coupon, probably would have given me one if he had one b/c he wanted to sell me the extended warranty. so they're all for the discount codes. presumably the stuff on the boat from china is cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

I bet that they make most of their money on the $3-$5 items you can't help yourself but to buy - they discount bigger stuff to get you in then hope you're tool-addicted (which if you go to HF you probably are) and buy the cheap-ass s*t that only costs them like $0.25 for some chinese guy to stamp out.

rated:
Any pros/ cons on quality of generators?

rated:
Y0Y0 said:   Is HF OK? Are they having trouble?

I've noticed they dropped off of the FatCash store list and the same type of list at another site I use.

HF is back on FW w/ CB

rated:
a3stoogesfan said:   Any pros/ cons on quality of generators?

Just read the reviews on HF. Also, try YouTube.

rated:
The BEST COUPONS of all are the ones in your local Newspaper, which typically are distributed when HF opens a new store in your general area.

However, these are very hard to find. They might be in the Sunday Edition, or the Saturday Edition, or a Daily Edition. I've called and emailed HF Corporate multiple times, and they refuse to tell me even what Newspapers they use in my area. The store Managers also claim ignorance (maybe their ignorance is genuine).

So when I visit the store, I simply scan the Shopping Carts. If there has been a Newspaper Ad, people often abandon them after shopping.

rated:
Around here we get a mailer of multiple retailers' coupons which usually includes a HF page with a 20% off and a free flashlight/tape measure/scissors/whatever. I think it's the "Red Plum" coupon package. It's not bound or in an envelope, just loosely folded together with a variety of other stores' pages.

rated:
thc said:   Around here we get a mailer of multiple retailers' coupons which usually includes a HF page with a 20% off and a free flashlight/tape measure/scissors/whatever. I think it's the "Red Plum" coupon package. It's not bound or in an envelope, just loosely folded together with a variety of other stores' pages.

Lucky !

We get those Coupon Bundles in the Mailbox, too, but although we receive a Flyer from every nearby Supermarket, there's never a HF Flyer.

There's one small city (Peabody) between my city (Salem) and the city the HF is in (Danvers, MA). Maybe I live too far away (6 miles)?

rated:

1/1/2013 (725.09kB)
Disclaimer

1/1/2013 (615.51kB)
Disclaimer
For those who don't get the mailers, the main coupons you'd normally want to use are just the 20% off and free item...

Happy new year with these:

rated:
SalemCat said:   There's one small city (Peabody) between my city (Salem) and the city the HF is in (Danvers, MA). Maybe I live too far away (6 miles)?
That's not it. The closest HF to me is 20+ miles (about an hour drive, no highways go that way from here)...and it's not like I live out in the midwest where 20 of their miles is treated similarly to 6 of ours, I live in New England too.

rated:
Went to HF's site to check distance to locations, this was on the front page...20% off printable/use online.
http://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/newhome11/images/20off907...

rated:
For those of you who have difficulty with getting real coupons you might want to sign up for Popular Science the next time there is an offer in the Free Stuff section. They frequently have a one or two page ad of coupons including a free item and 20% off.

rated:
lowpricewanted said:   For those of you who have difficulty with getting real coupons you might want to sign up for Popular Science the next time there is an offer in the Free Stuff section. They frequently have a one or two page ad of coupons including a free item and 20% off.

Car and Driver has them too.

rated:
blueiedgod said:   lowpricewanted said:   For those of you who have difficulty with getting real coupons you might want to sign up for Popular Science the next time there is an offer in the Free Stuff section. They frequently have a one or two page ad of coupons including a free item and 20% off.

Car and Driver has them too.

Many Car Magazines have them.

Popular Mechanics.

Maxim.

But no Computer Magazines do. And darn few Home Improvement Magazines do, either. I think HF is "missing the boat" there.

rated:
A TIP: Has anyone else noticed that sometimes when you click on HF's Online Coupons, so as to print one out, that a page opens up with the expected coupon, plus an ADDITIONAL COUPON for a related item ?

I have not seen this happen for about a month now, but previously this year it was a common event.

Typically the items that have Coupons available appear in a grid on a single page. Click on any item; if the pop-up page shows only that single coupon, all items on that grid will have single coupons only.

But if any of the items in the grid have a pop-up that the displays two Coupons, all items in that grid will have two Coupons.

rated:
800 watts portable generator will be on sale for $79.99 during 3 days parking sale on Oct 12-14. Item number is 66619/69381. Usually 20% coupon doesn't work on generators, but good luck!

rated:
zoxbro said:   800 watts portable generator will be on sale for $79.99 during 3 days parking sale on Oct 12-14. Item number is 66619/69381. Usually 20% coupon doesn't work on generators, but good luck!

Correct. A 20% Off Coupon will certainly fail.

However, if you belong to the Inside Track Club, two or three times a year, at Special Events like this, HF offers members a 10% Off Coupon, that is good for only a day or two, THAT EXCLUDES NOTHING.

I bought my Generator last Fall, and did receive 10% off.

rated:
Thanks SalemCat. I wasn't aware of that 10% coupon for ITC members. I ll keep it in mind when hunting for item #68787 (Red Roller Cabinet Top Chest) this Xmas season. Thank you again.

rated:
zoxbro said:   Thanks SalemCat. I wasn't aware of that 10% coupon for ITC members. I ll keep it in mind when hunting for item #68787 (Red Roller Cabinet Top Chest) this Xmas season. Thank you again.

When I see this special discount again I will try to remember to post the info here.

HF usually gives no more than a week's advance notice. I expect they will be offering the special 10% Coupon again between now and Black Friday.

rated:
Here is a 25% off any single itemat Harbor Freight, valid Saturday September 22nd 2012 only!

Not sure if it is single use, or not. But, I won't be using it.

rated:
blueiedgod said:   Here is a 25% off any single itemat Harbor Freight, valid Saturday September 22nd 2012 only!

Thanks !! I have not seen this one.

I'd expect it is good for anyone. I don't think the HF Checkout Software is sophisticated enough to recognize codes that are tied to a single person.

rated:
SalemCat said:   blueiedgod said:   Here is a 25% off any single itemat Harbor Freight, valid Saturday September 22nd 2012 only!

I'd expect it is good for anyone. I don't think the HF Checkout Software is sophisticated enough to recognize codes that are tied to a single person.

Let us know if it worked for you! I need to pickup some tools and this will have been timely.

rated:
jplee3 said:   SalemCat said:   blueiedgod said:   Here is a 25% off any single itemat Harbor Freight, valid Saturday September 22nd 2012 only!

Let us know if it worked for you! I need to pickup some tools and this will have been timely.

I know you can't use TWO 20% Off on the same day. But I'm going to try to use a 20% Off, return to my car, and then shop and use the 25% Off. I'm going to maintain that it is NOT the same Coupon, and therefore I can use both in the same day. I will report back.

rated:
SalemCat said:   jplee3 said:   SalemCat said:   blueiedgod said:   Here is a 25% off any single itemat Harbor Freight, valid Saturday September 22nd 2012 only!

I know you can't use TWO 20% Off on the same day. But I'm going to try to use a 20% Off, return to my car, and then shop and use the 25% Off. I'm going to maintain that it is NOT the same Coupon, and therefore I can use both in the same day. I will report back.

I was able to use the 25% off - stupidly I didn't wait for my wife to wake up this morning and ended up buying two things where I could only apply the coupon to one. For some reason, I thought they'd let me use it twice or use it + a 20%. I was thinking about chancing it and going back into the store to try using the 25% after putting the tools in the car but I didn't want to cause trouble (I'm pretty sure the guy who rung me up was one of the mgrs w/ an A-type personality). I was also considering driving to the next HF 5-6 miles away, but realized that's really an additional 10-12 miles of round-trip driving on top of driving to the one I was at already. I didn't think the extra 5% was worth driving the extra 10+ miles haha.

Anyway, I'm planning to head to another HF tomorrow to use the 20% on another garden fork. Then return the garden fork that I got full price today. Ughhh so confusing. None of this would have happened if I just waited 15 more minutes for my wife to get ready.

Oh well...

BTW: have any of you had experience exchanging garden tools specifically at HF? I know their hand tools (Under the Pittsburg name) carry lifetime warranties. I bought a drain spade back in June (past the 90 day return/exchange) and the foam handle completely ripped off after using it a couple times. I don't have the receipt either. It's probably a YMMV with stuff like this but I'm planning to call them up to see if they'd be willing to exchange. I was looking at their drain spades today and the handles are all made out of that rubber/anti-shock material instead of foam. Looks to be a little more durable.

rated:
jplee3 said:   SalemCat said:   jplee3 said:   SalemCat said:   blueiedgod said:   Here is a 25% off any single itemat Harbor Freight, valid Saturday September 22nd 2012 only!

I was able to use the 25% off - stupidly I didn't wait for my wife to wake up this morning and ended up buying two things where I could only apply the coupon to one. For some reason, I thought they'd let me use it twice or use it + a 20%. I was thinking about chancing it and going back into the store to try using the 25% after putting the tools in the car but I didn't want to cause trouble (I'm pretty sure the guy who rung me up was one of the mgrs w/ an A-type personality). I was also considering driving to the next HF 5-6 miles away, but realized that's really an additional 10-12 miles of round-trip driving on top of driving to the one I was at already. I didn't think the extra 5% was worth driving the extra 10+ miles haha.

Anyway, I'm planning to head to another HF tomorrow to use the 20% on another garden fork. Then return the garden fork that I got full price today. Ughhh so confusing. None of this would have happened if I just waited 15 more minutes for my wife to get ready.

Oh well...

BTW: have any of you had experience exchanging garden tools specifically at HF? I know their hand tools (Under the Pittsburg name) carry lifetime warranties. I bought a drain spade back in June (past the 90 day return/exchange) and the foam handle completely ripped off after using it a couple times. I don't have the receipt either. It's probably a YMMV with stuff like this but I'm planning to call them up to see if they'd be willing to exchange. I was looking at their drain spades today and the handles are all made out of that rubber/anti-shock material instead of foam. Looks to be a little more durable.

The 25% worked, no problem. But I chickened out on trying to use a 20% as well.

Tomorrow I'm going back with my son, and we'll use TWO 20% then.

If it has the Lifetime Warranty you should be ok to swap it for another identical item. But I had HUGE problems returning a broken Clamp LINK. Note that the Web Page is clear that this has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. But the store would not honor it without a receipt. HF talks a good game, but it ain't Sears. Sears always stands behind its Craftsman Hand Tools, even if they are 50 years old or more.

I'm betting HF will not work with you. They are very rigid with their policies.

A lot of their stuff is pure junk. But so much is ok, or even great, that I shop there all the time.

(Of course, if they are being really bitchy about a defective item, you can always buy ANOTHER of the same item, keep the Receipt, and then return the broken one the next week. The problem is, of course, sometimes the item is such junk, even a NEW one is worthless.)

rated:
Yup, you gotta save those receipts.

Sometimes you can tell if it's junk before you buy it, sometimes you can't. The biggest problem I've had is when they don't have the same item anymore...sometimes they get reluctant to replace it with a newer model, either because they don't know that it does the same thing or because they don't know how to do the paperwork.

However, when you spend $20 on a dozen tools that would have cost $250 at Sears, you only need one tool to NOT be junk before you've gotten your money's worth...not to mention that you've likely found unique tools that you don't see at Sears.

rated:
I went to HF - and Sears - today (Home Depot, too).

I bought some tiems at each location - and was pleased at each.

But the main thing I was shopping for, was a simple CHUCK KEY for an electric drill.

HF - no. HD - no. Sears had six sizes to choose from, $2.99 each, all MADE IN USA.

A week ago I was looking for a rubber tether for a Chuck Key. Sears had them for 99 cents ! HF not at all, and at HD they were double the price.

Sometimes Sears just can't be beat.

rated:
thc said:   Yup, you gotta save those receipts.

Sometimes you can tell if it's junk before you buy it, sometimes you can't. The biggest problem I've had is when they don't have the same item anymore...sometimes they get reluctant to replace it with a newer model, either because they don't know that it does the same thing or because they don't know how to do the paperwork.

However, when you spend $20 on a dozen tools that would have cost $250 at Sears, you only need one tool to NOT be junk before you've gotten your money's worth...not to mention that you've likely found unique tools that you don't see at Sears.

Crescent Wrenches are particularly inexpensive at HF. $6 at HF compared to $25 at Sears. The Craftsman is so much better. If you're just looking to have a crappy wrench for your Emergency Tool Bag in the Trunk of your vehicle, of course the HF will do. But if you're looking for a precision tool, one that doesn't have sloppy jaws and uneven finish, Craftsman should be your choice.

rated:
A wise man once said: "If a Pro needs a precision tool to get the job done, what chance does an amateur have with a cheap piece of crap ?".

Think about it.

(On the other hand, very few of us need Snap-On !)

rated:
I bought this 4-way chuck key at HF on a whim a long time ago:
http://www.harborfreight.com/four-way-chuck-key-1745.html
Never seen one elsewhere, though I'm sure they must be in other stores.

When an OEM rubber tether fails I know rubber won't do the job so I skip straight to a zip-tie.

I haven't used a crescent wrench in at least a decade. Most fasteners I deal with are rust-welded in place and need a box-end wrench or 6-point socket.

Here's another example: Nut splitters. I bought a set and tried to split a nut, instead the splitter body broke and its point dulled. Went and got it replaced but I can't imagine it'll work any better.

And, on the other hand: Telescoping 3/8 x 1/4 dual-drive ratchet...this thing is a major winner, and only $10.40 after a 20% off coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-1-4-quarter-inch-...
It's pleasant to work with and really takes abuse (like really shoving it HARD for those seized bolts). The glowing reviews are accurate.

Another favorite: "Thin" 4 1/2" cutoff wheels for my angle grinder. These slice through thick steel like butter.

rated:
I thought everyone got the HF coupon sheet in the Sunday Smartsource coupon insert like I do. They are in the with the rest of the grocery coupons like every 2-3 weeks in my inserts and the closest HF is 70 miles away. When I do get there, I use a 20% off and the free item, go put the stuff in the car and go back in again. They always been super coupon friendly here. They have recently been mailing me flyers and coupons in the mail too.

Also I have seen the coupon page in the free Auto Trader that you get around town. The last one I got a month ago had the free digital voltage meter which is good because I have a lot of tape measures and screwdrivers.

rated:
^Ah, he's right, it's SmartSource, not RedPlum as I incorrectly reported.

Also, thanks for the tip on Auto Trader.

rated:
After my 5th free replacement drill from Harbor Freight failed, I finally broke down and bought a Ridgid from Home Depot. Even though Harbor Freight has been pretty good about giving me replacements every time I needed one, without asking for a receipt, or anything over the preiod of 5 years. I was up on the roof cutting a hole for the bathroom fan vent, and the drill failed.

It was getting dark, Harbor Freight is a good 10 minute drive. By the time I would have gotten then it would been closed. I did not want to leave the roof with a hole in it overnight.

I ended up borrowing neighbor's Ridgid, and it swayed me into buying one. Lifetime warranty without need to be sneaky to get a replacement.

But, it made me realize that I want a tool that will not fail on me at the most inopportune time (4 previous failures were also while I was in the middle of the project).

I went through 3 sets of Harbor Freight hole saws before I finally bought a Lennox.

The sledge I bought at Harbor Freight lost its head as I was in the middle of busting up concrete pad. It is still usewable, I just to put a wedge in there, as Harbor Freight just had it epoxied in place.

To those thinking of keeping Harbor Freight wrenches as emergency tools, think twice. I have had Harbor Freight wrenches round up bolts and nuts, because the jaws on them open up as you apply force.

I have a pry bar from Harbor Freight that bent when I was using it to remove plywood subfloor. I bought Craftsman pry bar as a replacement and was able to finish the project without destroying the tool.

Harbor Freight Multi-tool burned up on me, literally, it went up in smoke, as I was using it.

The only thing I have gotten quite a bit of use is the dry tile (diamond) saw blade. I was able to remodel 3 bathrooms and a kitchen with it before the diamonds all wore out. But, it is was not significantry cheaper than a comparable Craftsman one.

Perhaps I use my tools more than your average homeowner/landlord.

rated:
thc said:   I bought this 4-way chuck key at HF on a whim a long time ago:
http://www.harborfreight.com/four-way-chuck-key-1745.html
Never seen one elsewhere, though I'm sure they must be in other stores.

When an OEM rubber tether fails I know rubber won't do the job so I skip straight to a zip-tie.

I haven't used a crescent wrench in at least a decade. Most fasteners I deal with are rust-welded in place and need a box-end wrench or 6-point socket.

Here's another example: Nut splitters. I bought a set and tried to split a nut, instead the splitter body broke and its point dulled. Went and got it replaced but I can't imagine it'll work any better.

And, on the other hand: Telescoping 3/8 x 1/4 dual-drive ratchet...this thing is a major winner, and only $10.40 after a 20% off coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-1-4-quarter-inch-...
It's pleasant to work with and really takes abuse (like really shoving it HARD for those seized bolts). The glowing reviews are accurate.

Another favorite: "Thin" 4 1/2" cutoff wheels for my angle grinder. These slice through thick steel like butter.

Home Depot has 3-Way Ryobi Chuck Keys for $6 LINK. I hate the Multiple Choice Keys - I'd rather a single dedicated key.

I like the rubber tethers. Of course a piece of twine would work, too, but I'm a sucker for spending money when something free would work just as well.

I use Crescent Wrenches for Plumbing. Many components on piping are nominally SAE, but it's often a sloppy fit. Sometimes a close Metric size works better, but usually the Crescent Wrench is the best bet.

I agree HF Nut-Splitters are junk. I had to return one myself. I wouldn't want another.

I've found the HF Cut-off Air Tool and Discs indispensible LINK. I couldn't work on my 1995 Saturn without it.

Good tip on the Telescoping 3/8 x 1/4 dual-drive ratchet.

rated:
blueiedgod said:   After my 5th free replacement drill from Harbor Freight failed, I finally broke down and bought a Ridgid from Home Depot. Even though Harbor Freight has been pretty good about giving me replacements every time I needed one, without asking for a receipt, or anything over the preiod of 5 years. I was up on the roof cutting a hole for the bathroom fan vent, and the drill failed.

It was getting dark, Harbor Freight is a good 10 minute drive. By the time I would have gotten then it would been closed. I did not want to leave the roof with a hole in it overnight.

I ended up borrowing neighbor's Ridgid, and it swayed me into buying one. Lifetime warranty without need to be sneaky to get a replacement.

But, it made me realize that I want a tool that will not fail on me at the most inopportune time (4 previous failures were also while I was in the middle of the project).

I went through 3 sets of Harbor Freight hole saws before I finally bought a Lennox.

The sledge I bought at Harbor Freight lost its head as I was in the middle of busting up concrete pad. It is still usewable, I just to put a wedge in there, as Harbor Freight just had it epoxied in place.

To those thinking of keeping Harbor Freight wrenches as emergency tools, think twice. I have had Harbor Freight wrenches round up bolts and nuts, because the jaws on them open up as you apply force.

I have a pry bar from Harbor Freight that bent when I was using it to remove plywood subfloor. I bought Craftsman pry bar as a replacement and was able to finish the project without destroying the tool.

Harbor Freight Multi-tool burned up on me, literally, it went up in smoke, as I was using it.

The only thing I have gotten quite a bit of use is the dry tile (diamond) saw blade. I was able to remodel 3 bathrooms and a kitchen with it before the diamonds all wore out. But, it is was not significantry cheaper than a comparable Craftsman one.

Perhaps I use my tools more than your average homeowner/landlord.

Buying a real Drill like the Rigid or Dewalt probably is the wisest choice.

And buying real Hole Saws is likewise the thing to do.

Usually I put together TOOL KITS. I have a Plumbing Kit, a Computer Kit, an Electrical Wiring Kit, a Painting Kit, etc. That way when I have a Plumbing job, I'm not searching all over for the right tools. I just grab that kit and go.

Several of the kits need an Electric Drill. The $15 HF Drills are great for that purpose. None have failed on me yet, but as the local HF only opened about a year ago, they're pretty new. If I were on the roof, and my HF Drill burned, I'd just borrow another drill from a different kit.

Another HF tool to avoid is their samll Tubing Cutter LINK. On my very first use the clamping knob came loose, and spun on its shaft. I ended up buying an Empire from Sears LINK.

But I have purchased the HF large Tubing Cutter, which seems to be just fine LINK.

rated:
Free 12-Piece Cushion Grip Screwdriver Set w $50 purchase - 1st time I've seen this offer

LINK

or

Free Air Cut-Off Tool w $50 purchase - 1st time I've seen this offer as well

LINK

rated:
SalemCat said:   A wise man once said: "If a Pro needs a precision tool to get the job done, what chance does an amateur have with a cheap piece of crap ?".

Think about it.

Most pros don't need a precision tool to get the job done, it just allows them to do the work much faster.

rated:
lyeinyoureye said:   Most pros don't need a precision tool to get the job done, it just allows them to do the work much faster.
...and pros have the financial motivation to get the most efficient tools. As well, having the most comfortable, pleasant tools is a quality of life issue since they use those tools over and over every day. It may also be an occupational safety issue due to repetitive stress injuries. DIYers get the job done with crappy tools, it just takes longer and might be more frustrating.

rated:
On the warranty questions from a few posts back...walked in today with a broken 3/8" drive impact U-joint, walked out with a new 3/8" drive impact U-joint, upgraded to the Pittsburgh Pro line because that's what they had. Didn't have my receipt.

Tangent: Same experience with a Husky 3/8" ratchet at Home Depot today, too.

rated:
lyeinyoureye said:   SalemCat said:   A wise man once said: "If a Pro needs a precision tool to get the job done, what chance does an amateur have with a cheap piece of crap ?".

Think about it.

Most pros don't need a precision tool to get the job done, it just allows them to do the work much faster.

I can attest to that. I was remodeling the bathroom, and needed to cut holes in tile for the shower handle, faucet and the shower head. I thought I could get it done with the all in one craftsman tool (oversized dremel) and Tile bit, took me almost an hour to cut one hole. I said fark it, broke down and bought a $50 diamond hole saw. Took me literally 5 minutes each to cut the rest of the holes. Now, I have a $50 diamond hole saw, that I used once, and probably will never use again.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014