• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Today's item at Lowes.com appears to be a DeWalt 18V cordless drill

Lowe's DeWalt Drill

I checked Amazon to see if it was a good price and they're selling the same model for 201.99

Amazon DeWalt Drill

I'm in for one

Member Summary
Link to the set on Dewalt site

Specifications:
  • Voltage 18 V
  • Max Power n/a UWO
  • # of Speed Settings 2
  • Max RPM 0-450/0-1,500
  • Clutch Settings 17
  • Chuck Size 1/2 "
  • Chuck Type metal, two sleeve ratcheting
  • Tool Weight 5.2 lbs

Includes:
    • 1 hour charger
    • (2) 18V batteries
    • double-ended screwdriver bit
    • heavy-duty kit box

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks like the same one that was going for $99 on Black Friday last year at Home Depot.

Not saying this is not a good deal though. I love mine. The batteries don't last quiet as long as my Makita batteries, but it is a great drill. PS. Even if you have one, a second one is great. Having one driver setup with a drill bit and one with a screwdriver bit is awesome when you are predrilling holes. No more switching bits all the time. Just my $.02.

I tried to check out with this but it won't let me. Dead?

DealWalla said: I tried to check out with this but it won't let me. Dead?

worked for me, usually when they're sold out of a daily drill down item it says sold out.

Estimated Shipping $4.99

Estimated Tax $5.95

Order Total $129.94

Still not a bad deal though...

can anyone confirm if the dewalt 18V drills will accept the older B&D shaft style 18V batteries?
link
Amazon cleared out their stock about a year ago at something like $6 each.

DealWalla said: I tried to check out with this but it won't let me. Dead?

I was having trouble checking out until I noticed that you have to check the box next to the item after you add it to your cart.

Thanks OP!

jbjacobson said: can anyone confirm if the dewalt 18V drills will accept the older B&D shaft style 18V batteries?
link

Not sure about interchange 18V Dewalt and the older style B&D, but it works on 14.4V.

This is good drill, but the regular Dewalt battery doesn't last long. You'd want the extended XRP model for longer lasting. But this is a good price for the regular 18V.

Anyone know how this one is compared to this one from Sears? The spec looks about the same other than 1500 vs 1400 rpm and 18 vs 19.2V and both has a 1 hour charge cycle.

Again, I was a manager at Sears for 7 years overseeing this department. Sears drills are actually made by Ryobi. They are okay for 99% of what the average home owner will do. DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. all have better batteries, better components and are much easier to service (namely replacing the bushings).

I would avoid any of those packages which all use the same battery. Usually one or two of those actually work well while the rest are so cumbersome or weak you'll end up not using it.

caliswift said: Again, I was a manager at Sears for 7 years overseeing this department. Sears drills are actually made by Ryobi. They are okay for 99% of what the average home owner will do. DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. all have better batteries, better components and are much easier to service (namely replacing the bushings).

I would avoid any of those packages which all use the same battery. Usually one or two of those actually work well while the rest are so cumbersome or weak you'll end up not using it.

Thanks for the info. I figure I need the drill and the circular saw and the combo of these two is worth close to $155 and the rest is just bonus and I agree they won't be much of use other than the light. I'm not too crazy about Ni-cad myself.

I own and use both the 19.2v Craftsman and the 18v DeWalt. The XRP batteries are what I use. The Craftsman is great if you want light weight and don't need to drill hundreds of holes. The saw will cut a 1/2" sheet of plywood (maybe two) before you notice a slowdown.

I always use the DeWalt hammer drill and the compact drill for drilling holes and driving screws so that I don't swap bits. The compact drill uses the same batteries and runs forever on the XRP's. My Craftsman is what I lend to friends that need a drill or saw.

Good stuff. Use 10% emailed lowe's mailing list coupon to take off even more $.

Bought one here. I figure it's time to have a back up the craftsman I bought on clearance 8 years ago.

On the same topic of 18V drills, my Home Depot is selling the Ridgid 18V drill for $99 (down from $179). It comes with two batteries, a charger, and a duffel bag. Also, the new Li-Ion batteries work with the drill; by the time these batteries go kaput, the Li-Ion will probably be at a more reasonable price. This is in Columbia Missouri, not sure how regional/nation-wide this is.

Just mentioning another alternative, not trying to thread crap at all. The DeWalt is a great drill.

dangtong said: jbjacobson said: can anyone confirm if the dewalt 18V drills will accept the older B&D shaft style 18V batteries?
link

Not sure about interchange 18V Dewalt and the older style B&D, but it works on 14.4V.

This is good drill, but the regular Dewalt battery doesn't last long. You'd want the extended XRP model for longer lasting. But this is a good price for the regular 18V.

They will if you grind off some of the splines on the battery shaft that goes up in the drill...also on some Dewalt tools you have to grind down the pad that is sticking up by the clips that hold the battery on....these mods also allow it to fit in the Dewalt charger.....Just compare the top of the decker battery with the Dewalt and you will see which ones to grind off...I do it all the time

jbjacobson said: can anyone confirm if the dewalt 18V drills will accept the older B&D shaft style 18V batteries?
link

Yess they work, there are a couple modifications to make them fit properly, You need to trim off the plastic guide on the outside at the contacts (top)

You should also trim back the corners of the raised protions between the battery and drill next to the clips on the battery. You will be able to see this when comparing batteries.

The trimming can be done with a sharp utility knife.

I still have a few of these unopened! Paid $8-9 each and bought 8 in the end, gave away 2 with my original Dewalt Drill which still works fine though looks like heck, after building an A frame, and hanging dry wall in a couple buildings, 6 years of general use, only problem I had was after drilling out 1/2" holes in 90 RR ties to put rebar through, @250 holes, some hitting rocks imbedded in the tieswith a 300lb guy leaning on it made the motor loose with @ 1/8" play in it. still works fine though and I see it pretty regularly as I donated it to the maintanace guys where I work security.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014