• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The bundles at the Waterbury CT, WalMart were marked at $3.98 clearence, but rung up at $3.40. The brand was "Good Times Wood Products".

This is my first season with a fireplace and this has been the best price I could find without having to purchase a cord and dedicate a whole section in my backyard to firewood. I've purchase bundles at Stop & Shop and other locations at around $5(insane). Eventually I'll build an enclosure in the backyard to store large amounts of wood and purchase them at hopefully a cheaper price. Any advice you can provide on getting cheap wood would be appreciated

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

NotAnotherRebate said: Any advice you can provide on getting cheap wood would be appreciated
Your sister...oh, wait...


Local tree removal companies will typically sell wood in small batches.

NotAnotherRebate said: The bundles at the Waterbury CT, WalMart were marked at $3.98 clearence, but rung up at $3.40. The brand was "Good Times Wood Products".

Wow ... don't tell me ... Wal-Mart is importing wood from China now ?

@

stallion1031 said: Local tree removal companies will typically sell wood in small batches.

Yes.. it sounds like the OP doesn't want wood in his yard, but if you do, contact a tree removal company.

Then you just need to get one of these
Anybody in harrisburg/york PA can just pm me =P

albrandwood said: NotAnotherRebate said: The bundles at the Waterbury CT, WalMart were marked at $3.98 clearence, but rung up at $3.40. The brand was "Good Times Wood Products".

Wow ... don't tell me ... Wal-Mart is importing wood from China now ?

@

yes..thy do..

hiroler said: stallion1031 said: Local tree removal companies will typically sell wood in small batches.

Yes.. it sounds like the OP doesn't want wood in his yard, but if you do, contact a tree removal company.

Then you just need to get one of these
Anybody in harrisburg/york PA can just pm me =P


You a lumber jack? LOL, I could use some muscle as I'm not too good at chopping wood.

Another good place is check on craigslist, there are many selling 1/4, 1/2, full cord and some are even given it away, though you'll need to chop / season those yourself.

be careful when buying store bought firewood. This wood tends to be infused with wax that helps it to burn. However, upon burning, the wax will accumulate along your chimney, and may become a fire hazard. Of course this doesn't matter if you hire professional to clean your chimney annually.

When I was in the Harrsiburg area and had a wood stove, I had the local boyscouts sell me a pickup truck full of wood. They unloaded it and stacked it for a nominal fee. So you can see if the boyscouts would do that in your area.

bpydimer said: be careful when buying store bought firewood. This wood tends to be infused with wax that helps it to burn. However, upon burning, the wax will accumulate along your chimney, and may become a fire hazard. Of course this doesn't matter if you hire professional to clean your chimney annually.

Bpy, maybe a stupid question but, do those compressed "fake" logs like "Duraflame" also have this effect on your chimney ? I know they contain parafin because it says so right on the label.

I rarely use my fireplace, but sometimes I will burn one of those fake logs for ambiance. How likely am I to have a serious chimney fire as a result of occasionally burning one of these ? Also, any credence or value to burning those "Chimney Sweeper" logs they sell ? If I used my fireplace extensively I'd invest in a professional cleaning periodically, as it is, I've been in my current house for 2 seasons and when I bought the place I had a general overall home inspection and was told my chimney and fireplace were A-OK.

TIA

Keep in mind that these log also don't really give off any heat like real wood. So burning them in a fireplace will actually make your home cooler. Of course, fireplaces are not very efficient to begin with.

If you don't want cords of wood stacked in your yard you can buy small bundles most places (including WalMart in my area). A small bundle of about 10 peices is around $4.

Yes, but how much wood are you getting?

Thanks for posting something from the Waterbury area, I always wondered if anyone else was around here.

tcope said: Keep in mind that these log also don't really give off any heat like real wood. So burning them in a fireplace will actually make your home cooler. Of course, fireplaces are not very efficient to begin with.

If you don't want cords of wood stacked in your yard you can buy small bundles most places (including WalMart in my area). A small bundle of about 10 peices is around $4.


Just about any fireplace will make your house colder overall. The majority of heat goes right up the chimney. In addition, as the fire burns, it consumes the air in your house that may already be warm leaving the rest of your house colder than when you started. Of course, right in front of your fireplace is quite warm.

You might look into also buying a heat reflector (metal device) that sits behind the fire and reflects some of the heat forward which would normally be lost into the bricks. A wood stove, on the other hand, definitely seems to warm the place up.

Lastly, cut wood should be left to dry for about 6 months before it burns well. A lot of the wood sold at WalMart has not dried out sufficiently is burns quite poorly. You'll notice that the wood is quite heavy which is all the water still in the wood. A couple of weeks ago, went camping and ended up buying WalMart wood. Took forever to light and you could hear and see the water coming out of the wood as it burned. Uncured wood is more likely to leave creosote in your chimney which in turn raises the risk of your chimney catching on fire.

Anyway, I'm no fire/wood expert, but these are just my observations/opinions.

HTuttle said: Bpy, maybe a stupid question but, do those compressed "fake" logs like "Duraflame" also have this effect on your chimney ? I know they contain parafin because it says so right on the label.
Yes, although the duraflame logs don't leave behind creosote, they do create more sooty buildup than real wood does. Generally speaking these should only be used to start a fire with real wood, although there's better ways, IMO.

However, in particular, those Duraflame prepressed burning logs actually do give off more heat than real wood, so tcope is wrong about the effect of them making the home cooler. If you adjust the flue properly, they can throw off a massive amount of heat. But they need to be elevated off the floor of the fireplace, and you need to adjust the damper correctly to get that heat. Still, burning seasoned hard wood is always best. Never burn green wood.

HTuttle said: I rarely use my fireplace, but sometimes I will burn one of those fake logs for ambiance. How likely am I to have a serious chimney fire as a result of occasionally burning one of these ?
Depends on how dirty the chimney is. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just once in a while, but if you do it on a semi-regular basis, you may want to shine a flashlight up there to see how dirty the chimney is.

HTuttle said: Also, any credence or value to burning those "Chimney Sweeper" logs they sell ?
No, they're crap. Well, that's not true, they do give off chemicals that can break down the buildup on the chimney, but frankly if your chimney needs chemical treatment, you should hire a pro to do it correctly in the first place.

HTuttle said: If I used my fireplace extensively I'd invest in a professional cleaning periodically, as it is, I've been in my current house for 2 seasons and when I bought the place I had a general overall home inspection and was told my chimney and fireplace were A-OK.
Unless you've used the fireplace more than, say, 100 times, I wouldn't worry about it. Generally they say to clean the chimney after you burn 1 cord of wood. 1 cord is four feet wide, four feet high and eight feet long... this is equivalent to about 2 tons of wood.

kimdani1 said: tcope said: Keep in mind that these log also don't really give off any heat like real wood. So burning them in a fireplace will actually make your home cooler. Of course, fireplaces are not very efficient to begin with.

If you don't want cords of wood stacked in your yard you can buy small bundles most places (including WalMart in my area). A small bundle of about 10 peices is around $4.


Just about any fireplace will make your house colder overall. The majority of heat goes right up the chimney. In addition, as the fire burns, it consumes the air in your house that may already be warm leaving the rest of your house colder than when you started. Of course, right in front of your fireplace is quite warm.

You might look into also buying a heat reflector (metal device) that sits behind the fire and reflects some of the heat forward which would normally be lost into the bricks. A wood stove, on the other hand, definitely seems to warm the place up.

Lastly, cut wood should be left to dry for about 6 months before it burns well. A lot of the wood sold at WalMart has not dried out sufficiently is burns quite poorly. You'll notice that the wood is quite heavy which is all the water still in the wood. A couple of weeks ago, went camping and ended up buying WalMart wood. Took forever to light and you could hear and see the water coming out of the wood as it burned. Uncured wood is more likely to leave creosote in your chimney which in turn raises the risk of your chimney catching on fire.

Anyway, I'm no fire/wood expert, but these are just my observations/opinions.


I burned this wood last night and I must say you are correct, it did burn poorly. I had to tend to it quite a bit. The bundle came with scraps of bark to be used as kindling which I thought was great, but they felt moist.


albrandwood said: NotAnotherRebate said: The bundles at the Waterbury CT, WalMart were marked at $3.98 clearence, but rung up at $3.40. The brand was "Good Times Wood Products".

Wow ... don't tell me ... Wal-Mart is importing wood from China now ?

@


You got my curiosity up on this - I checked and this batch comes from Texas.

Thanks Otto42.

Boyscout idea was good, I didn't think of that. My brother owns a large tree removal business, we typically have 2-3 acres of logs just laying around waiting to be burned in a massive pit.. now that's a fire place.

Despite the unlimited supply of wood, I still flip a switch to turn on the fireplace.

I used to chop up firelogs into small pieces & use to start a fire.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014