• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Costco got their Christmas displays set up when I checked today.

LED lights are $7.39 for the larger sized bulbs, 100 bulbs per string.
The smaller bulbs are $8.99 per 100. Both prices include a $2 coupon savings.

This is the cheapest I've seen anywhere so far.

Time to switch from the incandescents for me!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Can anyone post a SKU for the white mini LEDs? I browsed at my Costco and they didn't have them out, so I wanted to ca... (more)

rmmgt (Dec. 13, 2007 @ 7:57p) |

The costco in my area (Southwest Ohio) is clearing these bulbs out. The mini white are $4.97 now and the C6 are $3.97. ... (more)

adogg09111 (Dec. 20, 2007 @ 10:45a) |

item number please

vegastaco (Dec. 21, 2007 @ 9:15a) |

#################### REVIEW ######################
Alright guys.. here's an update

1) The box on Costco's C6 multicolored bulbs says they take 4 watts. I just tested them using a Kill-a-watt AND a UPM EM100.
Kill-A-Watt: 2 watts
UPM EM100: 2 watts > sometimes at 3 watts > returning to 2 watts

2) The box on Costco's MINI multicolored bulbs says they take 4 watts. I just tested them using a Kill-a-watt.
Here are the results:
Kill-A-Watt: 2-3 watts (3 watts sometimes > 2)

3) The box on Costco's MINI *WHITE* bulbs says they take *8* watts. I just tested them using a Kill-a-watt.
Here are the results:
Kill-A-Watt: 3-4 watts (straight 2 watts)

My favorite is the C6 bulbs. Overall the best performance, best price, with the least electricity.

There you have it. A rundown of all of Costco's LED bulbs. Personally, I'm not a fan of the mini whites. The mini colored are OK, but the colored C6s are my favorite.
###############################################
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does anyone know if led xmas lights can be dimmed with a dimmer?

MPower said: Costco got their Christmas displays set up when I checked today.

LED lights are $7.39 for the larger sized bulbs, 100 bulbs per string.
The smaller bulbs are $8.99 per 100. Both prices include a $2 coupon savings.

This is the cheapest I've seen anywhere so far.

Time to switch from the incandescents for me!

LED Cristmas lights are pretty cool. Unlike conventional lights where the entire piece is the 'bulb' and has a filament inside, on LED lights the 'bulb' is on the string itself and there's just a big plastic piece that gets lit up by it. The advantages besides less power/heat etc. visually is that the entire plastic piece gets lit relatively evenly, as opposed to regular lights where you can see the filament glowing at the bottom of the bulb and the top doesn't get lit really. LED christmas lights look almost 'surreal' when you see them.

I paid 10 each for 65ct 22' C6 Sylvania strings at WalMart that I've been happy with so far. I'm not sure that the 'larger' in OP post refers to in terms of bulb size. with LED lights you usually get the ones that are the size of conventional minilights, then you get ones that are ball shaped and a little bigger, then you step up into the C6/C7 and above sizes. If this is for C6/C7 ones then that is a good price if the lighted length is enough for you.

I've seen a few places like Sams club also selling snowflake shaped lights or large plastic snowflakes that have LED lights that blink in patterns inside them. Usually those are lit with blue and white LEDs.

Ironically Sam's Club and Home Depot didn't have very good prices on LED light sets compared to even WalMart itself.

vibe said: Does anyone know if led xmas lights can be dimmed with a dimmer?

no LEDs/fluorescents should be used on a dimmer unless they specifically say they can be. I've yet to see any LED xmas lights that said they can be.

lzpoof said: vibe said: Does anyone know if led xmas lights can be dimmed with a dimmer?

no LEDs/fluorescents should be used on a dimmer unless they specifically say they can be. I've yet to see any LED xmas lights that said they can be.

Mine dim just fine on an in-line dimmer and X10 dimmer module. I have several different brands mixed, and all work just fine.

some leds will have a problem fading if these do connect one string of regular mini lights along with the leds

here is a great source of info of led Christmas lights go to forums

planetchristmas.com you have to register to see the led forums

LED's are capable of being dimmed, I've dimmed mine with an X10 module as well as on an electronic project bench. LED's can run at any voltage that's at or lower than their specifications without problems.

Fluorescents have problems with dimming because they use electronic circuits that oscillate and boost the output power to the tube to high voltage to make it glow. LED's don't need that.

LED's however do have a different power usage than incandescent bulbs, so they may dim earlier, or later than a string of incandescent bulbs if plugged into the same dimmer.

This makes that firemans invention on that show obsolete, since these LED xmas lights will never be a fire hazard due to hot bulbs igniting dry tree leaves/needles/branches.

Haha, i betcha he didn't see this coming! By next xmas, i have a feeling these will be the only type of xmas lights WalMart/target sells.

CuriousGeorge said: This makes that firemans invention on that show obsolete, since these LED xmas lights will never be a fire hazard due to hot bulbs igniting dry tree leaves/needles/branches.

Haha, i betcha he didn't see this coming! By next xmas, i have a feeling these will be the only type of xmas lights WalMart/target sells.

I find them less bright than normal lights. Normal lights also shine from any angle, LED lights tend to be brightest from the front. Yes, they use less power, and don't get as warm, but for things like a tree regular lights still look better.

The only reason I don't like LED xmas lights is because they give off a cold pure white/blue glow. Incandescents give off a warming yellow glow. Just me?

Here is a review of some sold @ Costco.
Hopefeully, it helps.

Costco Link

Jes

strange0kiddo said: The only reason I don't like LED xmas lights is because they give off a cold pure white/blue glow. Incandescents give off a warming yellow glow. Just me?

Then don't use white/blue LED lights...... use colored ones.

CuriousGeorge said: This makes that firemans invention on that show obsolete, since these LED xmas lights will never be a fire hazard due to hot bulbs igniting dry tree leaves/needles/branches.

While the lights can't set things on fire from the heat and there isn't an open socket to short..... the wires themselves and the bottom of the sockets can just as easily become frayed if you pull them along something so they can still be a fire hazard.

Actually they now have white LED's with different color temperatures, the ones I saw last Christmas had a nice warm white color like normal lights have. I can't say if the Costco ones are like this or not, best to go check them out in person.

the larger ones are billed as C6 equivalents, but they're not quite as big as conventional C6s.

I don't like that LEDs aren't as bright as incandescents either, but then again the paint from the bulb never flakes, and I can use 3x as many bulbs since the cost is 1/9 that of incandescents.

So ... much more lights, much brighter total, much less power total. only problem to date has been cost, and now costco has solved that

the C6 ones look exactly like these:

http://www.Amazon.com/Christmas-Multi-Colored-Light-String-Green/dp/B000KJ42LE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-9426523-4738252?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1193855936&sr=8-2

except 100 per string of course.

MPower said: the larger ones are billed as C6 equivalents, but they're not quite as big as conventional C6s.

I don't like that LEDs aren't as bright as incandescents either, but then again the paint from the bulb never flakes, and I can use 3x as many bulbs since the cost is 1/9 that of incandescents.

So ... much more lights, much brighter total, much less power total. only problem to date has been cost, and now costco has solved that

I'm not sure where the 1/9 comes from but I did notice that C6/C7 LED lights don't seem that much different in cost compared to regular C6/C7 ones. The mini LEd light sets are a lot more expensive than cheapo regular minilight sets though.

I think it comes down to the fact that regular C6 bulbs themselves are more costly than a minibulb, but a lot of LED C6 light sets are probably using the same LED bulbs as miniLED sets with just bigger plastic pieces attached.

If that's the case then the LED ones probably will seem dimmer the bigger you get, although the plastic 'bulb' will be more evenly lit than a conventional bulb.

It all depends on how the strand is wired.

You could have a strand of 100, but in actuality it's 4 strands of 25 put together. That keeps the brightness the same.

Sams Club has the same thing for $13.76. They are c7 lights 100 count, 26 feet long. The Costco deal is great. I cant beleive Sams is twice as much.

Ironically Sam's Club and Home Depot didn't have very good prices on LED light sets compared to even WalMart itself.

I think even Lowe's have them cheaper.

posicat said: It all depends on how the strand is wired.

You could have a strand of 100, but in actuality it's 4 strands of 25 put together. That keeps the brightness the same.

I wasn't thinking about the drain/dimming but rather that each LED light in a C6 strand might be the same brightness rating (watts) as the ones used in an LED mini light set. Same brightness LED but a bigger plastic 'bulb' to light might make them look dimmer even though each bulb gives off the same amount of light really.

twas a good point about looking for offwhite LEDs earlier btw. IF someone doesn't like a color they should look for a different color.

I noticed that the LED Christmas strings at Lowe's are much brighter than the ones sold at Costco this year. The Lowe's ones cost twice as much though but they are as bright as the incandesent ones but my judgment.

I will be checking this out this weekend I need to buy x-mas lights for my new house and LED is the geekiest way to go.

I just want to second that there are two types of white bulbs, standard and "soft white". The soft white versions, when available, are just like incandescent in color. The standard are a little harsh looking in my opinion. So note that when looking. Sams has 180 bulbs for $18, likely three strings of 60, and they have some in solid colors like blue and red.

in for 20,

clark grizwold

I've used these Costco LED's the last 2 christmas. I strung about 4 of these for a total of 400feet to ring around my outdoor 30+ feet pine tree. They are not as bright as similar size regular lights but when it's dark outside it doesn't really matter. In fact they give off a truer color, ie reds being more red and green being more green when compared to regular bulbs. I think they were twice as much when I bought them so they must have come down in price.

It pays to check LED Christmas lights fairly closely to make sure you're getting what you want. LED technology has evolved by Leaps and Bounds in the past year or two, and the reason prices are be dropping so much may be because some manufacturers are using old (read: not so bright) LED technology in light strings. LED light strings should be a lot more durable than incandescent bulb strings.

State-of-the-art LEDs are now so bright in some cases that they're replacing strobe lights in police car roof lights and replacing bulbs in traffic signals. It won't be long before regular household light bulbs start becoming available with LEDs in them instead of wire filaments (which will be great provided the color temperature is OK because they'll last an insanely long time and will use a fraction of the energy of an incandescent bulb).

JonesBeach said: It pays to check LED Christmas lights fairly closely to make sure you're getting what you want. LED technology has evolved by Leaps and Bounds in the past year or two, and the reason prices are be dropping so much may be because some manufacturers are using old (read: not so bright) LED technology in light strings. LED light strings should be a lot more durable than incandescent bulb strings.

State-of-the-art LEDs are now so bright in some cases that they're replacing strobe lights in police car roof lights and replacing bulbs in traffic signals. It won't be long before regular household light bulbs start becoming available with LEDs in them instead of wire filaments (which will be great provided the color temperature is OK because they'll last an insanely long time and will use a fraction of the energy of an incandescent bulb).
Forgive me, but you sound a little bullshitty.

TellyTubby said: JonesBeach said: It pays to check LED Christmas lights fairly closely to make sure you're getting what you want. LED technology has evolved by Leaps and Bounds in the past year or two, and the reason prices are be dropping so much may be because some manufacturers are using old (read: not so bright) LED technology in light strings. LED light strings should be a lot more durable than incandescent bulb strings.

Forgive me, but you sound a little bullshitty.

well yes and no... There are higher wattage output LEDs now than there were a few years ago but that's kinda irrelevant since these aren't 5watt LEDs like you'd find in a tactical flashlight. There have however also been improvements in efficiency of LEDs also but again I doubt anyone's using anything particularly highend in 10-20 buck strands of small LED christmas lights.

Bottomline, look at a display and if you like them buy them. If you're in a nice store , ask them if they'll let you plug them in (politely say you won't take them out of the box, just plug the cord in). I'm confused why anyone would be buying christmas lights to light up a yard or something anyways.... to me Christmas lights should LOOK GOOD. As long as they have good colors and are easily visible themselves that works for me. If you want to light up your yard buy a spotlight.

lzpoof said: vibe said: Does anyone know if led xmas lights can be dimmed with a dimmer?

If you want to examine my statement a little...... look up the voltages required for different LEDs online. I'm not sure what kind of power circuitry these things have in it but varying the voltage input can have strange effects on lights or none at all.

A lot of LED flashlights have circuitry designed to keep a steady current going through them til the batteries die so if your set had a circuit like that , then dimming them would do nothing. Not syaing it's likely your set would have it but who knows. Also, according to everything I've read different color LEDs have different voltage ranges for operation and different minimum voltages they will run at. So while you're dimming your multicolor set thinking about how cool it is to have the blue ones dimmer.... don't be surprised if say the red ones just go out while the blue ones stay lit. LEDs dim because of voltage variations (battery draining) , they are not intended to BE DIMMED as they have a certain voltage range only where they will work..... as opposed to filament bulbs which basically stay lit somewhat at any voltage.

Now fluorescents on the other hand.... they shouldn't be used on anything but a power outlet period. I even tried them once on a APC UPS in a power outage and ended that experiment quickly. Apparently whichever of a stepped power curve or straight sin curve my ups was putting out, they didn't like.

ThankYou wrote:
Not bullshitty, just stuck back in 1999. LEDs have been used in traffic signals since the early 2000's. And regular household light bulbs are already widely available with LEDs in them. Welcome to the 21st century, JonesBeach.

====================================================

I noticed, on a traffic signal about two miles from my house, that one green has not been working for three days! I guess Lowe's is out of stock!

posicat said: LED's are capable of being dimmed, I've dimmed mine with an X10 module as well as on an electronic project bench. LED's can run at any voltage that's at or lower than their specifications without problems.

Fluorescents have problems with dimming because they use electronic circuits that oscillate and boost the output power to the tube to high voltage to make it glow. LED's don't need that.

LED's however do have a different power usage than incandescent bulbs, so they may dim earlier, or later than a string of incandescent bulbs if plugged into the same dimmer.

I was thinking the same thing...

There's also the very serious issue of shorting and sparking which is maybe just as likely with LED christmas lights. As they get placed and removed over and over things get loose. I've seen more than a lot of exposed wire when looking at lights. Personally I've never seen any heat issues or sparking from christmas lights, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Didn't mythbusters address both these issues?

Was this part of a price mistake? Has anyone been able to get these prices recently?

I just got back from my Costco and the prices were $13.99 and $14.99. About $4 more expensive than the OP. Perhaps I'll try another one.

gizmotoy said: Was this part of a price mistake? Has anyone been able to get these prices recently?

I just got back from my Costco and the prices were $13.99 and $14.99. About $4 more expensive than the OP. Perhaps I'll try another one.

This is DEFINITELY YMMV - OP please add that to the title. Local costco has LED mini lights for $10.99 (100 bulb) (colored) and LED clears for $13.l9 (100 bulb)

I went to a different Costco, and the colored LEDs were $9.39 but the white ones were $13.99. Oh well. Looks like prices on these vary quite a bit by store.

I bought a bunch of these (multi-colored LED's) in 2005 after Christmas at COSTCO for $3.97 a set. If you don't need them.... it pays to check, last year they marked them down on Christmas eve, I think they only has red though.....

Skipping 28 Messages...
item number please

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014