• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
PartsAmerica has Champion 3500 Watt Portable Generator w/ RV Plug - C46540 for $299.00. If you need one, this is reasonable price. I pick my up at Schuck's Auto supply. There are a lot of reviews available on line. My choice would be Honda EU2000i or Yamaha 2800i, but can justify spend 900$-$1800 & only used 1-2 times a year.

Champion C46540 photo & info:
PartsAmericaLink

Manufacture manual & infoLink

Electric Generators DirectLink

Reviews & discussion
Link

Link

Link

Link

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You can ask expert on this Link

speedy777 (Dec. 08, 2007 @ 7:24p) |

The RV plug is 120V @ 30A...is there a RV plug to 120V cord like the twist lock to 120V outlet set? If so, you'd get 30A... (more)

gregg098 (Mar. 21, 2008 @ 7:11p) |

$150 Rebate arrived a couple days ago, I used a $50 off coupon when I ordered and the rebate receipt that I requested at... (more)

DamnoIT (May. 28, 2008 @ 1:07p) |

===============
Website for Champion power equipment: HERE
Online manuals, etc in the PRODUCT PAGE
================
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It says 4000 W on the product page. Not 3500W. Was this a typo?

EDIT: Nevermind, it is 4000W peak. This looks like a very good deal!

I know little about generators. Would this be enough to just power a 1/3 HP basement Sump Pump if the power goes out during a heavy storm? Would I be able to run a 50 ft power cord for this purpose, or is that a big no-no?

Thanks!

It's RV ready, but not RV-neighbor-ready

Seriously, if you use a generator with a 68dB sound rating in some campgrounds (state, national parks, etc), you might get complaints, and that's if it's even allowed in the first place. If you camp away from others, it's a great deal.

gnolivos said: I know little about generators. Would this be enough to just power a 1/3 HP basement Sump Pump if the power goes out during a heavy storm? Would I be able to run a 50 ft power cord for this purpose, or is that a big no-no?

Thanks!


That would EASILY power a 1/3HP sump. The power cord you use should be rated for the appropriate current your sump will draw.

Now $499.99 . . . good while it lasted!

Nope, still $299. Just ordered mine.

TnMountainMan said: Now $499.99 . . . good while it lasted!

gnolivos said: I know little about generators. Would this be enough to just power a 1/3 HP basement Sump Pump if the power goes out during a heavy storm? Would I be able to run a 50 ft power cord for this purpose, or is that a big no-no?

Thanks!


I don't see a problem 1/3 HP SUMP PUMP, CODE G 800 (running) 1600 (startup). Here is a link for other stuff. Link

TnMountainMan said: Now $499.99 . . . good while it lasted!

The price still $299.00

Use code C1107 to save 10% and offset most of the $43 shipping cost.

Not correct. That is for Advance Auto Parts...

superdrew said: Use code C1107 to save 10% and offset most of the $43 shipping cost.

Pep boys has a similar rated unit for $299 after rebate, so you can save shipping if you have a Pep Boys nearby, and they have a 3000/3500peak rated generator for $249 AR.

lonekazoo said: It's RV ready, but not RV-neighbor-ready

Seriously, if you use a generator with a 68dB sound rating in some campgrounds (state, national parks, etc), you might get complaints, and that's if it's even allowed in the first place. If you camp away from others, it's a great deal.


I would check rv.net to learn about this generator. People there love it, and claim it's fine for most campgrounds. They've even come up with some solutions for further soundproofing. FYI, I have this generator, and the engine is a Honda clone.

Can you post pics of the front panel? I would like to know how many plugs it has. One RV 4 prong, and one regular AC prong?

free888 said: lonekazoo said: FYI, I have this generator, and the engine is a Honda clone.

I have this as an emergency backup for my house (we recently invested in a saltwater aquarium and at $100 a fish, I figured a $300 generator was worth it).
I tested it on the aquarium, fridge, some lights, etc.
Seems to work fine though I haven't had to really use it yet.

Engine starts right up on the first or second pull. It's a gas engine, so it's not silent. But I think it's quiet enough to run in the neighborhood without complaints. Looks like a car muffler on the thing.

Edit: I paid $215 for mine at Murray's Auto Parts (with a coupon). Doubt we'll see any deals like that again...

According to the Advance Auto Parts website that discount code is for orders placed online and picked up in-store. I had no problem applying it to my order shipped to my house though. I guess I bought this in case our power goes out. Not really sure why I bought it!

Pep Boys will have a 5000/5500 peak watt Wen Powerpro generator for $329.99 AR on Friday. 2000 more watts is worth $30 more.

titewad said: Pep Boys will have a 5000/5500 peak watt Wen Powerpro generator for $329.99 AR on Friday. 2000 more watts is worth $30 more.

how loud is it?

kraeji said: titewad said: Pep Boys will have a 5000/5500 peak watt Wen Powerpro generator for $329.99 AR on Friday. 2000 more watts is worth $30 more.

how loud is it?
"noise rating at 7 meters: 74 dB"

titewad said: kraeji said: titewad said: Pep Boys will have a 5000/5500 peak watt Wen Powerpro generator for $329.99 AR on Friday. 2000 more watts is worth $30 more.

how loud is it?
"noise rating at 7 meters: 74 dB"


When it comes to generator noise ratings what is considered LOUD and what is SOFT?

These were on sale (closeout?) at Tractor Supply Company at the same price. I don't know if they still are. I tried to get the generator through a B&M PartsAmerica store, but all of them would not ship to the store (that I asked.) I picked one up a few months ago after extensive reading through the rv.net forums.

I dont understand. If the code is for Advance Auto Parts, why is it useful to us? This deal is for PartsAmerica. <confused>

brystheguy said: According to the Advance Auto Parts website that discount code is for orders placed online and picked up in-store. I had no problem applying it to my order shipped to my house though. I guess I bought this in case our power goes out. Not really sure why I bought it!

They are one and the same: Link

gnolivos said: I dont understand. If the code is for Advance Auto Parts, why is it useful to us? This deal is for PartsAmerica. <confused>

brystheguy said: According to the Advance Auto Parts website that discount code is for orders placed online and picked up in-store. I had no problem applying it to my order shipped to my house though. I guess I bought this in case our power goes out. Not really sure why I bought it!

brotherhpj said: titewad said: kraeji said: titewad said: Pep Boys will have a 5000/5500 peak watt Wen Powerpro generator for $329.99 AR on Friday. 2000 more watts is worth $30 more.

how loud is it?
"noise rating at 7 meters: 74 dB"


When it comes to generator noise ratings what is considered LOUD and what is SOFT?


Threshold of hearing 0 dB

Rustling leaves 20 dB

Quiet whisper (3 feet) 30 dB

Quiet home 40 dB

Quiet street 50 dB

Normal conversation 60 dB

Inside car 70 dB

Loud singing (3 feet) 75 dB

Automobile (25 feet) 80 dB

Motorcycle (30 feet) 88 dB

Foodblender (3 feet) 90 dB

Subway (inside) 94 dB

Diesel truck (30 feet) 100 dB

Power mower (3 feet) 107 dB

Pneumatic riveter (3 feet) 115 dB

Chainsaw (3 feet) 117 dB

Amplified Rock and Roll (6 feet) 120 dB

Jet plane (100 feet) 130 dB

titewad said: Pep Boys will have a 5000/5500 peak watt Wen Powerpro generator for $329.99 AR on Friday. 2000 more watts is worth $30 more.

The champion C46540 is much more compact than most 5000w that I have seen. According to my research, there are parts available as well. I am consider adding a wheel kit or build one myself with enclosure so can store light stuff on top. Have anyone build one? If yes, is 3 wheels better than 4 as far as maneuver?

titewad said: Pep boys has a similar rated unit for $299 after rebate, so you can save shipping if you have a Pep Boys nearby, and they have a 3000/3500peak rated generator for $249 AR.

There are quite a few of these 2500watt/3000watt/3500watt Chinese generators around for "similar price" @ Harbor FRT tools, Schucks, etc. $269 to $349 etc. This is a good deal if you don't want to waiste time window shopping.

I might also recommend these be "plugged into" a LARGE UPS BATTERY BACKUP if you want to power electronic equipment. I believe the UPS will clean up the electrical output, reduce voltage drops, etc.

I received mine today. The manual says that if you use the 4 prong 30 amp 120/240 socket (far left socket), you can have either of 2 configurations:

Use a 3 prong plug (one of the 4 prongs would be missing, obviously) for 120V 15 amp, or use a 4 prong plug for 240V 30 Amp.

I purchased the following cord, which has 4 prongs, but has regular 120V sockets on the other end. Will this basically convert/split the 240V into 4x120V sockets? Or is it just really using the 3 prongs to take 120V and split into 4x120v sockets? The question is critical because in one case I take full 30 amp, and in the other only 15 amp. Obviously I would want full 30 amps to be able to load it up to 3500 Watts.

Link to Cord: HERE

I found some good info...

===============
Website for Champion power equipment: HERE
Online manuals, etc in the PRODUCT PAGE
================

Dont know if anyone is still watching, but I tried the 240V/120V outlet today, and loaded only 700W, and the voltage drops from 125V to 93V. Which is absolutely insane! Im using a 8 gauge 25ft cable. This is a thick as they get, and 25ft is not uncommon.

I then proceeded to use the regular 120V socket, with a thin 14 gauge 50ft cable, applied same 700w load and no voltage drop whatsoever. Makes no sense!

gnolivos said: Dont know if anyone is still watching, but I tried the 240V/120V outlet today, and loaded only 700W, and the voltage drops from 125V to 93V. Which is absolutely insane! Im using a 8 gauge 25ft cable. This is a thick as they get, and 25ft is not uncommon.

I then proceeded to use the regular 120V socket, with a thin 14 gauge 50ft cable, applied same 700w load and no voltage drop whatsoever. Makes no sense!


You can ask expert on this Link

The RV plug is 120V @ 30A...is there a RV plug to 120V cord like the twist lock to 120V outlet set? If so, you'd get 30A from there.

$150 Rebate arrived a couple days ago, I used a $50 off coupon when I ordered and the rebate receipt that I requested at the counter at pickup. No word on the $50 rebate.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014