• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples cyber monday deals refurb hd dvd $50 fs and more stuff check all 3 pages

clicky if you likey dont clicky if you dont likey

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Wow this is going to confuse the average consumer big time. Technically it is an HD DVD player, it upscales your existin... (more)

Ninjak (Nov. 27, 2007 @ 6:45p) |

Does anyone have a copy/screen capture/etc of the ad that said HDV5000?

rkamensky (Nov. 27, 2007 @ 8:47p) |

Dude. It sounds like you are the average consumer and have zero understanding of technology. How can you say it is an ... (more)

Digglerz (Dec. 01, 2007 @ 9:23a) |

This player is just an upconverting DVD player that claims "near HD-quality images from your current DVD library". This player will not play HD DVDs.
-----------------------
SKU# 716681 is for Model RBDRC8052N
Most likely is a mis print on the title, but spec and pic is correct.
This is a DVD burner if the SKU# is correct.
Staff Summary

I got all excited thinking it was a HD-DVD player for $50 - it is actually an upconverting DVD player.
Other deals look good though.

I don't like advertisements that give me the bird.

very misleading product title

haripj said: I got all excited thinking it was a HD-DVD player for $50 - it is actually an upconverting DVD player.

Wow, I wonder is Straples is going to get beat up over this. I can imagine a lot of people thinking they are getting HD-DVD when they are only getting an upscaler.

LowCarbWallet said: very misleading product title

Agreed. That's the second time I've seen that title used be a retailer this week. Red from me for putting in the OP too.

Wow! Talk about confusing advertising! Staples is going to make a lot of enemies with this one.

In the title they say it's HDV5000, which is a real HD DVD player, but below the item number they list the model as RBDRC8052N. And all the info they give is for a DVD recorder that also upconverts to HD.

CambodianBeast said: I don't like advertisements that give me the bird.

lol

What do you want to bet that Staplez fixes the error before Monday???

Some people are assuming it's a recorder (due to second model number and photo), some say it's rebadged first generation Toshiba HD player, some say it's hard to tell but something is wrong regardless.

LowCarbWallet said: CambodianBeast said: I don't like advertisements that give me the bird.

lol

That's FUNNY!!!! I think they are trying to say something to everyone who shops at Stap1es!!!

That UPS for $70 looks like a good deal no?

If it is the HDV5000, apparently it is just a rebadged A1. Regardless $50 for a refurbed HDDVD player is pretty hot.

decent price on the nuvi 360-- cheapest ive seen was $400 but i havent been looking for a couple months...

Definitely confusing about the HD-DVD Player. The product link says RCA HDV5000 as does the first part of the description, but the rest of the description is for an upconverting DVD recorder.

Amazon Product Link shows it for $499 .. if it really is that player for $50 refurbed, I'm in for one so Staples can piss me off like it pissed off those people who tried to get the GPS online (I was at Staples at 6:15am on Black Friday and they were all out in the store -- kinda annoys me since the Navigon was listed a whole weekend special rather than just a doorbuster)

It is NOT a HD-DVD player. It does NOT play HD-DVD disk.

It ONLY upconversion DVD to HD

Ranyuncho said: Staples cyber monday deals refurb hd dvd $50 fs and more stuff check all 3 pages

clicky if you likey dont clicky if you dont likey

Seriously, what the hell were they thinking.

Downright false advertising.

Seriously, companies hire fools these days. I wouldn't be surprised if the employee doesn't know the difference when they created the ad.

And to make things worse. This is a REPOST

It also writes DVDs, somthing my upconverting player doesn't do.

Sounds like three products in one!

So if it really turns out to be an RCA HDV5000 (an HD DVD player) for $49.99 and it's the picture and description that are wrong, does that mean you're not going to buy one out of spite?

Stop wondering any more bout that dvd player
This is the correct description & item name

I think I will pass....

Huh? Are you sure? Who's to say it's not really the HDV5000 and the description/picture is just wrong?

How the heck did this deal get green?

I'm broke.

jomarrod said: Stop wondering any more bout that dvd player

I think I will pass....

And the reviews for that on Amazon are atrocious. Doesn't even look like it's worth $50.

Crappy ad,

That UPS isn't even CLOSE to beeing a good deal, it's only a 300w!

huntergather said: decent price on the nuvi 360-- cheapest ive seen was $400 but i havent been looking for a couple months...
CC has it for the same price. A GPS selling neighbor of mine told me that Garmin dropped their wholesale prices drastically for him last week, and I suspect Costco etc. got the better prices at the beginning of November.

a 40 G external drive. Wow, how would I ever fill it???

jumblies said: a 40 G external drive. Wow, how would I ever fill it???Its a 2.5" portable drive. MOR. Not awful for the price.

haripj said: I got all excited thinking it was a HD-DVD player for $50 - it is actually an upconverting DVD player.

Heh good catch. I think that should be considered miss-advertising.

Anyways... OP please change it to reflect that it is an upconverting not a real HD-DVD player.

I think I will pass....

If this is really what it is I'll totally pass. What a POS!

Thanks.

Trikat said: OP please change it to reflect that it is an upconverting not a real HD-DVD player.

Oh but it must be because Dealnews.com is reporting that it is and says it's a "best bet"...

I love how they actually use a Garmin screenshot for display on that cheap-o "invion" GPS unit.

If you look at the pictures here you see one with the REAL screen and one with a copy of a Nuvi widescreen.

Guess which one looks the crappiest.

Staples has been a real disappointment this season.

I think I will pass....

Bummer...it doesn't even have a USB input, according to the detailed description. Playing movies on a thumb drive ROCKS!

Definitely a mistake somewhere!!

Wonder if people will be buying this so-called HDDVD player and sending in the rebate for their 5 free HD movies. Better yet when they go back to Straples with their rejection letter demanding the manager give them their 5 movies.

Skipping 54 Messages...
Ninjak said: Wow this is going to confuse the average consumer big time. Technically it is an HD DVD player, it upscales your existing DVDs to HD resolution.

This is yet another reason why Blu-Ray is the superior format. Less name confusion.

Dude. It sounds like you are the average consumer and have zero understanding of technology. How can you say it is an HD DVD player? If you don't know what you are talking about then don't say anything. I don't reply here much but when I see something like this which is 100% inaccurate I feel I need to let the orginal poster know. ha...upscales to HD resolution. hahahahahahahahah. Go ahead buy it ninjak an brag to all your ninja friends how you scored a great deal on an hd-dvd player.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014