• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Comcast sales repre. call me today for basic cable only $1/month no contract required. This is only valid for current user who is paying full price for their internet service. With combining the internet and cable TV together you will also be eligible to received discount on your current internet service. ($15 on mine) Call in your local Comcast for more info. There is a $16.59 installation cost.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I called and stated that I want to cancel. A rep said: 'Okay!'

Simple as that. Customer service was great. They're so ... (more)

haktmal (Apr. 09, 2008 @ 5:44p) |

Even though digital over-the-air broadcasting ends next February, cable companies are required to have their analog sign... (more)

burgerwars (Apr. 09, 2008 @ 7:48p) |

Will you need this box in 2012 ??? I think they made a coupon especially for FW and sites like SD it's a marketing tool... (more)

MISURICK (Apr. 09, 2008 @ 8:17p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Where are you located? This might be a regional thing.

Houston, TX

I just got out of Comcast here in Houston after having cable for over 20 years. Absolute worst company in the world. Got Dish Network now and love it.

nice post OP. Put YMMV in the title.

One should always ask the service rep if there is a price code for the promotion. That really does help when someone else calls and gets a rep not familiar with a particular promotion.

Doesn't apply in Northern California.

May be I'm not understanding the deal but in AZ if you order the internet at $49.99 they give you the cable for free. They just call it a discount because they charge you $39.99 for inet and $9.99 for basic cable.

Here in San Francisco, we got word a few weeks back (via postcard) that Comcast was going to stop broadcasting their non-digital signal - so I assume this wouldn't apply to me?

kissdisap said: Here in San Francisco, we got word a few weeks back (via postcard) that Comcast was going to stop broadcasting their non-digital signal - so I assume this wouldn't apply to me?

I haven't heard anything about this in the Bay Area... are you sure about that?

Yeah, if it regional than everybody outside of Houston is probably SOL, but if there are any codes or the like than perhaps we can talk our local Comcrap guys into doing this for the rest of us.

If you are current comcast internet Cable customer (Houston, TX) and call comcast and threaten to cancel internet, they will immediately put you in to a 19.99 deal for 6 months. I had timewarner(comacast) for last 2 years for 29.99 and this time they sent the bill with an amount of 54.99. I called to 'enquire' about the bill and the lady said my promotion perioid was expired. I was like 'uh-oh..That's fine Please cancel the service. I'll switch to DSL for $19.99". She was like "We do have similar offer. Do you want me to put you in that promotion ? ".

Also my understnading is that BASIC cable is only the channels you get for free otherwise(may be some more 'no-body-watch-channels' ). If they offer STANDARD cable for $1 if you subscribe internet for full price, I would consider it. Otherwise its a waste IMO.

JerMe said: kissdisap said: Here in San Francisco, we got word a few weeks back (via postcard) that Comcast was going to stop broadcasting their non-digital signal - so I assume this wouldn't apply to me?

I haven't heard anything about this in the Bay Area... are you sure about that?

The postcard ONLY says that tv guide channel and one other channel are exclusively digital. This is merely a ploy to get you to lease their digital converter or upgrade to their digital package!! Com-cracks-t won't go all digital anytime soon.

'The postcard ONLY says that tv guide channel and one other channel are exclusively digital. '

True they put those two on digital only. But no one every really watches them anyway, which is why they picked those two.

Cable comp's have to keep analog way into the future I think.

Have similar set up here in northern Detroit burb but it's no promo. I have a Comcast "expanded basic" for $13.95, includes nearly 100 channels and premium-like channels like Fox Sports Detroit, History, Speed, Golf, etc. Along with this I have high Comcast low speed (yes, they really do have this), high speed for $24.95. Total bill is just under $40/month.

Many people don't know that Comcast has a lower speed high speed internet. It's DSL-like quality. It works fine for me and also support Vonage without a problem.

kissdisap said: Here in San Francisco, we got word a few weeks back (via postcard) that Comcast was going to stop broadcasting their non-digital signal - so I assume this wouldn't apply to me?

The FCC has mandated that cable companies MUST support analog cable until 2012. Comcast wants to make their system all digital since digital takes up less bandwidth than analog and it's easier to stop cable tv theft with digital signals. So if Comcast tries to strongarm you to force you to change to digital, they are lying.

arstechnica - cable 2012 deadline.

podcast about comcast trying to force people to switch to digital

parfour7th said: Have similar set up here in northern Detroit burb but it's no promo. I have a Comcast "expanded basic" for $13.95, includes nearly 100 channels and premium-like channels like Fox Sports Detroit, History, Speed, Golf, etc. Along with this I have high Comcast low speed (yes, they really do have this), high speed for $24.95. Total bill is just under $40/month.

Many people don't know that Comcast has a lower speed high speed internet. It's DSL-like quality. It works fine for me and also support Vonage without a problem.

Any idea what "package" I should ask for if I want this? I'm in Ann Arbor. Thanks!

mizliz said: parfour7th said: Have similar set up here in northern Detroit burb but it's no promo. I have a Comcast "expanded basic" for $13.95, includes nearly 100 channels and premium-like channels like Fox Sports Detroit, History, Speed, Golf, etc. Along with this I have high Comcast low speed (yes, they really do have this), high speed for $24.95. Total bill is just under $40/month.

Any idea what "package" I should ask for if I want this? I'm in Ann Arbor. Thanks!

I'm interested in this to...

sgniwder said: mizliz said: parfour7th said: Have similar set up here in northern Detroit burb but it's no promo. I have a Comcast "expanded basic" for $13.95, includes nearly 100 channels and premium-like channels like Fox Sports Detroit, History, Speed, Golf, etc. Along with this I have high Comcast low speed (yes, they really do have this), high speed for $24.95. Total bill is just under $40/month.

I'm interested in this to...

I have "high speed" internet and basic cable + family package for $98. I would be interested in saving half.

RyogaHibiki said: kissdisap said: Here in San Francisco, we got word a few weeks back (via postcard) that Comcast was going to stop broadcasting their non-digital signal - so I assume this wouldn't apply to me?

The FCC has mandated that cable companies MUST support analog cable until 2012. Comcast wants to make their system all digital since digital takes up less bandwidth than analog and it's easier to stop cable tv theft with digital signals. So if Comcast tries to strongarm you to force you to change to digital, they are lying.

arstechnica - cable 2012 deadline.

podcast about comcast trying to force people to switch to digital

Not sure how the FCC mandates affect our situation here (I'm in Brookline, MA). Most of the channels in our current cable lineup (that's Comcast's so-called "expanded-basic" service) will not come in without a set-top box (which is a digital box BTW). Without the box (i.e. using the analog tuner in the TV) we only receive a fraction of the channels. Among these are the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX) and PBS. Hell, without the box we don't even get USA or TBS!

Last night I called and threatened to cancel. I actually had the cost of Direct TV and DSL internet provider. I explained to the Comcast Rep that before calling Direct TV and SBC for installation of both those products I wanted to give Comcast one chance to keep my business.

My results were:
I kept Digital Classic with the HD-DVR
They added HBO
I also kept the sports package (includes NFL network)
I kept the same internet service

My price with taxes/fees is to be $95.91 over the next 12 months. My last bill I was paying full price without HBO was $140. So with the phone call I gained HBO and saved $529 over the next 12 months. It is just terrible that I have to call and threaten to leave to get these prices. What kind of customer service is that? (this is a rhetorical question, I know what kind of service it is)

Comcrap has got to be the worst service provider in terms of customer service. I called one time to check on some promotions, and the smug rep told me that I'm getting the best service in the world, and no one competes with them. So he told me I should be happy that I'm paying $120 for everything I have. Well, I should cancel my service just for that kind of attitude! Let's see if they really care about my business...

Effing Communistcast, I just spent an hour and a half going through 6 different
CSR's being disconnected, transferred etc..........Finally got my triple play
back for $99 after they porked me for a few months at their jacked rates.

Unfortunately, they are the only game in my small town, until FIOS comes.

Try Verizon Wireless sometime

gusk1200 said: Comcrap has got to be the worst service provider in terms of customer service. I called one time to check on some promotions, and the smug rep told me that I'm getting the best service in the world, and no one competes with them. So he told me I should be happy that I'm paying $120 for everything I have. Well, I should cancel my service just for that kind of attitude! Let's see if they really care about my business...

Wow. This deal is Comcastic!

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Stupid Comcast...

I pay 104.xx a month for basic cable and internet. I HATE paying that much, but being in the country, I have few additional options for internet.

I called and told them I was interested in canceling, they wanted my address and said they would be out within the week to cancel.. no trying to keep me!!

Anyways, i said now hold on, maybe we can work something out instead of canceling and told them I could get DSL for such and such (I cant) and Dish Network is offering such and such. The lady just said I am sorry but we can not do anything as you are past the promotional period of your triple play.

Guess I could try it again with someone else....

Same thing happened to me, I called to cancel and they were ready to concael. I had the service for about 5 yrs. I was just using Internet service, but they disconnected in no time.

Now I am with Verizon paying about 82.00/month incl tax, for Full service Telephone and Internet.

Comcast wanted to charge me $65.00 without tax just for Internet.

troutmd said: Stupid Comcast...

I pay 104.xx a month for basic cable and internet. I HATE paying that much, but being in the country, I have few additional options for internet.

I called and told them I was interested in canceling, they wanted my address and said they would be out within the week to cancel.. no trying to keep me!!

Guess I could try it again with someone else....

Probably your rosey attitude...

parfour7th said: Have similar set up here in northern Detroit burb but it's no promo. I have a Comcast "expanded basic" for $13.95, includes nearly 100 channels and premium-like channels like Fox Sports Detroit, History, Speed, Golf, etc. Along with this I have high Comcast low speed (yes, they really do have this), high speed for $24.95. Total bill is just under $40/month.

Wow, how did you get that? That's a great deal.

BTW, they used to call the ~20 channel $10 package Limited Basic, and the ~80-100 channel $30-$50ish package Expanded Basic. Now I see they're calling them Basic Cable and Full Basic.

whoisyourdady said: Comcast sales repre. call me today for basic cable only $1/month no contract required. This is only valid for current user who is paying full price for their internet service. With combining the internet and cable TV together you will also be eligible to received discount on your current internet service. ($15 on mine) Call in your local Comcast for more info. There is a $16.59 installation cost.

FYI,

For those of you already have comcast cable internet, you already have basic cable TV with it incase you did not know. I have been told by the cable installer guy and I tried it. They do not want to you to know that so they can sell you the basic cable TV.

Verizon finally made their way through our neighborhood, so DSL is now available. I call comcast to close the account (6mons @ 30/mon) and they offered a year @ 20/mon. The threats does works if you call directly into the cancellation dept.

I also called to threaten to cancel a few months ago, TRY IT!!! I got free internet for a year and then they added Starz to my premium channels!!!!

I called and stated that I want to cancel. A rep said: 'Okay!'

Simple as that. Customer service was great. They're so happy to lose a customer. Done is 5 minutes.

BTW, I scheduled my cancellation toward the end of the month.

Even though digital over-the-air broadcasting ends next February, cable companies are required to have their analog signals until 2012. At least that's what I've heard. While we're on the same subject, if you haven't already, request your two $40 coupons for digital converter boxes at http://www.dtv2009.gov. I think you can still get them.

Will you need this box in 2012 ??? I think they made a coupon especially for FW and sites like SD it's a marketing tool

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014