• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We were at Winco Foods this afternoon and found that they had Standing Rib Roast on sale for $2.98 per pound. There was no mention of the USDA grade, nor if it was small or large end. We bought a 4 pounder and had it tonight. Surprisingly the Prime Rib was tender enough to cut with a standard table knife. Surely it was not a USDA Choice cut, but it was actually quite good IMHO. And, at $2.98, it is nearly half the sale price found elsewhere.

Winco has stores in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada, and California.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
$4.88 for choice at Safeway here in northern cali. Get one of the ones from the meat counter behind the glass, not the ... (more)

sklar (Dec. 19, 2007 @ 7:55p) |

Safeway does not sell Choice Beef in Northern California. The main chain stores that offer Choice Beef in NorCal are Cos... (more)

seekingvalue (Dec. 25, 2007 @ 4:17p) |

And in response to buying meat at WinCo, or any other store, you really need to just look at the meat. What is the color... (more)

seekingvalue (Dec. 25, 2007 @ 4:22p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

I live in Oregon and we have Winco's everywhere and I will warn you, there's a reason the meat is so cheap. I tried to eat the beef from Winco a few times and on the whole you get what you pay for.

Not to threadcrap but it's not great meat. I shop there every week but I do avoid the meat products. I wait for QFC sales or Gartner's Country Meat Market...which if you're not in Portland doesn't help you much. And this time of year you can find rib roast at every major supermarket for close to this price.

Sorry for being so negative, that's not normally how I work but I've had some really bad meat from Winco so I figured I'd warn everyone.

Neppem said:

Not to threadcrap but it's not great meat. I shop there every week but I do avoid the meat products. I wait for QFC sales or Gartner's Country Meat Market...which if you're not in Portland doesn't help you much. And this time of year you can find rib roast at every major supermarket for close to this price.

Sorry for being so negative, that's not normally how I work but I've had some really bad meat from Winco so I figured I'd warn everyone.

Not to crap on your threadcrap, but meats meat.It's categorized by standards.If they don't meet the meat standards they make the news.
If they were selling bad meat every week we wouldn't be reading about it on Fatwallet.

I'm sorry they caught you shoplifting.

bokey said: Neppem said:

Not to crap on your threadcrap, but meats meat.It's categorized by standards.If they don't meet the meat standards they make the news.
If they were selling bad meat every week we wouldn't be reading about it on Fatwallet.

I'm sorry they caught you shoplifting.

Have you ever even shopped at Winco foods or are you just being a pissy old man on Sunday night? Winco does not sell good meat, they sell passable to barely passable meat. I've tried a number of cuts a number of times, it's not good. Spend the extra and buy elsewhere. There's even another thread here at Fatwallet on Winco meat which talks about the quality. I shop there every week because they have good prices on everything, good customer service, they treat their employees well and I like to support the local (Pacific Northwest) team. That being said, their meat is not good.

Great, now I'm threadcrapping on someone's threadcrapping of my threadcrapping. Starting to get dizzy.....

True. I shop Winco for lots of stuff, but never meat. Their meat is usually grade 4 Standard, not even 3 Select. I'd rather spend double, or even more at Costco (grade 2 Choice), and enjoy my Xmas meal.

Please keep it friendly. Everyones opinion is welcome but name calling and flaming isn't needed.

Standing rib roast is "OK" but usually dry, but makes a good presentation.

Give me a Ribeye, New York Strip, T-bone, Top Sirloin,
or Porterhouse steak ANYTIME, and I'll bite your arm off for it.

As far as good and bad meat at Winco = if you want to make soup, pot roast,
stew, hamburger, etc, or any moist cooking, it's good. It's not
TOP-OF-THE-LINE-GRADE, you have to go to a specialty store to get that dude,
so you shouldn't even be talking to us po folks.

I just bought some pork chops on sale at my local super, for $1.39 a pound.
You should come on down to Cajun country and see what we can do with this. Believe me,
when you taste them, your balls will rattle.

Cajun

Standing Rib Roast is ribeye with bone just not sliced up yet

There can be a big difference in Choice quality beef. The grading isn't based on taste, and a steer is what it eats. Range feed beef tastes different from grain feed. The quality of the proteins in the feed makes a difference. A rib roast need not be dry, but is often cooked improperly at home. The smaller the roast, the harder it is to cook it properly. A four rib roast can be a challenge, as compared to a whole prime rib a restaurant would roast.

I can tell a difference in taste between the various grades. It is obvious.

USDA Beef Quailty Grades

Beef Quality and Yield Grades

Cajun said: .

Do NOT listen to anyone who says this. IF ANYONE tells you that SIRLOIN is better than a Standing Rib Roast he knows NOTHING about meat. Absolutely NOTHING. Don't even get me STARTED on Porterhouse!

If you've heard of PRIME RIB then you know what a Standing Rib Roast is, without the "Prime" rating which is basically reserved for restaurants. IF YOU COOK IT POORLY, you'll be having POT ROAST. DON'T COOK IT POORLY and you have PRIME RIB.

Theres a lot of variability between grades, meaning that some prime is primer than others and I've seen some choice cuts that were better than some other prime cuts i've seen.

Winco meat is generally from older animals and the cuts may not always be well formed or of ideal appearance. Marbling may be poor.

All that having been said, I have purchased rib roasts of this type from winco once in a while and after sifting through 20-30 of them I've come up with a pretty good looking roast for the super cheap price.

A few things to consider when cooking a roast like this...

- Enzymes in beef that can help tenderize it activate with heat and work until the meat reaches roughly 125 degrees. The longer you can keep the meat at temperatures between 100 and 125 degrees, the more tender it'll get.

- The longer the meat cooks, the more time that any marbled fat within the meat has to partially liquify and flavor/tenderize the meat

- But the longer it cooks the drier it gets

For a sub-Choice cut like this that is still relatively tender, has lesser marbling, and isnt a super moist cut in the first place, I'd recommend a fast high heat cooking approach. Take equal amounts of crushed garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning and add enough olive oil to make a paste about the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal. Dry the roast with a paper towel and then rub all over with this paste and allow to stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes to an hour to allow the center of the meat to warm up...this will prevent the roast from burning before the middle is done. Preheat your oven as high as it'll go, to 500-550. Put the roast in and drop the temperature down to 425 and cook for about 12-15 minutes per pound or until a meat thermometer says the center is 135 degrees. Pull out of the oven and cover loosely with foil and let it stand for about 15-20 minutes.

You're going to get a little bit of smoke in the kitchen from this, but its worth it. The roast will be about rare-medium rare in the center slices and medium-medium well in the two end slices, tender, juicy and will have a nice crust.

Vons has choice for 2.98 right now as they do every year at this time. Ralph has it for 8.99 but it will be on sale after Xmas for 2.98. For prime it's off to the gourmet butcher and 16.50 per pound. That's why I stick with choice.

yay.. I cooked one of these last night.. We dont have Winco here, I bought mine at Dominick's here in Chicago, it was $4.48/lb I think so I got a 3.5lb ranchers reserve rib roast. I know a gormet butcher here has prime @ $21.99/lb and i'm still confused by the difference between prime and what I bought but I must say it turned out AMAZING. I made a garlic, horseradish, rosemary, thyme and kosher salt paste that I covered it with and roasted it at 350F for about 1.5 hours and it was the most delicious piece of beef i've ever had in my life and i'm not a big beef eater btw.. My bf loved it.

I'm making a pork crown roast for christmas dinner, I need a deal on that one

HokieOkie said: True. I shop Winco for lots of stuff, but never meat. Their meat is usually grade 4 Standard, not even 3 Select. I'd rather spend double, or even more at Costco (grade 2 Choice), and enjoy my Xmas meal.

I have to chime in and 2nd (possibly 3rd it) -- Winco does not have good beef. Period. You might end up lucky with a USDA select every now and then, but to be honest, I don't like their beef. I'd prefer to shop for beef at Safeway (or other "high end" stores) and stick with USDA choice. Yes its more, but you know what you're getting.

Winco's great for their prices on groceries tho

mf6764 said: Standing Rib Roast is ribeye with bone just not sliced up yet

A ribeye roast is perhaps the best beef you will ever have IF you coat it with a good dry beef rub, cook it in an electric rotisserie oven AND use a meet thermometer so as not to over cook it (and eat it IMMEDIATELY so it does not dry out). IT WILL BE SUPURB.

My wife used to pick'em up for ~$5-$6/lb after New Years when they were half off at Meijer (usually sell for $10-$12/lb.). They'd usually cost $32 for 3 LARGE cuts of ribeye "steak" and I'd have to use a bone saw (to cut the very ends of rib bone off) to fit the roast into the rotisserie (a George Foreman "large" rotisserie).

But not anymore...don't seem to go 1/2 anymore at Meijer and I just can't force myself to spend >$60 on a roast

At $3 a pound, you're not getting 'Prime' Rib. Plain and simple . . . .
Link with grade info. I can't believe this is a .gov site!!!

I got some Delmonico steaks locally (MA) for $3.99 a pound that look exactly like the 'Prime' picture . . . but that was after looking through over 100 2-pack flats of steaks. Delmonico steaks are basically boneless rib roasts that are cut into steaks.

BTW, sale ends tomorrow felow residents of the Commonwealth!

Problem with whole rib roasts is you can't really tell until you cut into them.

My advice to anyone 'bargain shopping' for a large roast like this is to buy the half roasts and look carefully at the meat you're buying . . . unlike some other cuts, more fat is good, if it's 'marbled' and not a big honkin' vein of fat that runs right through one side that is. If you need a whole, two halfs is the way to go . . . unless you REALLY trust the butcher (and I mean butcher, not the meat cutter at the supermarket), and you don't mind paying the premium.

StrawManArg said: Cajun said: .

Do NOT listen to anyone who says this. IF ANYONE tells you that SIRLOIN is better than a Standing Rib Roast he knows NOTHING about meat. Absolutely NOTHING. Don't even get me STARTED on Porterhouse!

If you've heard of PRIME RIB then you know what a Standing Rib Roast is, without the "Prime" rating which is basically reserved for restaurants. IF YOU COOK IT POORLY, you'll be having POT ROAST. DON'T COOK IT POORLY and you have PRIME RIB.
Yeah he definitely exposed himself there. Ribeye is my favorite cut of meat, over the Strip, T-bone/Porterhouse (which is just a strip on one side and tenderloin on the other) and definitely over Top Sirloin. I can barely eat a top sirloin steak, if at all. I like to buy big rib roasts and cut the steaks myself, giving me a thick cut. Gives me a chance to age it a tiny bit in the fridge too, for a couple of days or so.

There is debate on what the prime in "Prime Rib" means. Some people think it to be a prime piece of meat, of which there is few. Some think it refers to the cut, since the rib section is a "primal cut." This interpretation renders all those $2.99 Prime Rib dinners in vegas technically correct.

Couple of tips you might want to try out. Salt your steaks for at least an hour beforehand. Yes I used to just salt and season it right before throwing it on the grill or frying pan, but I read a tip on Cooks Illustrated. If you salt the steak it draws water out of the meat, we all know that. But if you let it sit, the water dissolves the salt, and then the meat sucks that water back in. This flavors the meat while also acting as a mini-aging process, because the fibers in the meat relax and break down in the presence of salt. Try it. If you are a member of cooks illustrated site, go to their video tips under "The problem with Thick-Cut Steaks." It also contains a method which I've been using, simply cooking the steaks in a 275 degree oven until my thermometer reads 190, then taking them out and searin on a grill or a cast iron skillet, 2 mins each side. Perfect medium rare every time.

Ok enough steak tips, back to the deal. Albertsons is having a sale on Choice Angus rib eye roasts for $5.89/lb. Their regular (select) ribeyes are $3.89. I'd opt for the Choice. Costco were selling some nice looking choice roasts as well, I believe $7.99/lb, but it could have been $6.99. The boneless versions were $1 more a pound. This was for San Diego.

deeznuts said: Ok enough steak tips

Steak tips?!?!? Blech!!!

$4.88 for choice at Safeway here in northern cali. Get one of the ones from the meat counter behind the glass, not the lesser ones they've already wrapped.

Got one in the oven right now.

j0e - you did good. Not a lot of people try horseradish as a rub. It gets sweet and tangy and loses its bite just like garlic does. If anyone wants to try it, use the plain ground/prepared horseradish, not the cream sauce version. I rub it all by itself on english style short ribs and then slow roast them until the horseradish turns light golden brown and the meat is falling off the bone. Just lay some root veggies (carrots, taters and onions are good) as a base in a dutch oven, lay the ribs on top of that, cover and cook @300 for a couple of hours, testing the tenderness of the meat after 90 minutes. Nice. Make a little mashed potatoes but simmer some more horseradish in the butter before adding it to them to continue the horseradish theme.

Safeway does not sell Choice Beef in Northern California. The main chain stores that offer Choice Beef in NorCal are Costco, Raleys, Food Maxx, and PW. The only Safeway Division that sells USDA Choice Beef is their Seattle, WA division which spans most of WA, Alaska, Idaho, and Montana.

Safeway markets their "Rancher's Reserve" beef as if it is Choice beef but it is not choice beef. It is a mix of grades of beef. Safeway does not disclose what grade this "Rancher's Reserve" beef is because it could be any grade. Some loads may be choice, most loads will be select, and some may even be canning grade. Rancher's Reserve beef is more tender than some other beef because it comes from smaller cows.

Save Mart/Lucky offers something called "Master Cut" beef which is supposedly all USDA Select.

The meat at Safeway and Save Mart is marketed to look like choice when in reality it is not. Great marketing it is.

Beef grades go something like this
Worst: Canning
Select
Choice
Best: Prime

PW Markets in San Jose sells a mix of choice and prime beef. Though you won't see any hot deals on beef their, their prices for this choice and prime beef are comparable with the regular prices at Safeway and Save Mart/Lucky.

And in response to buying meat at WinCo, or any other store, you really need to just look at the meat. What is the color of the meat? How does the marbling look? How does the entire piece of meat look/feel? If there is a bone present what color is the bone?

I've bought a lot of terrible meat from Safeway and Albertsons (now Save Mart/Lucky in North Cal). I've also bought a lot of very good meat from both of those stores. I've had Harrs Ranch Choice Beef that is as thick as leather.

WinCo sells a lot of meat and is probably fine in most cases. At least at a place like WinCo who is doing high sales volume on meat you do not have to worry about getting redated/rewrapped product. The media, I believe 20/20, found multiple instances of meat rewrapping going on in Safeway, Albertsons, and A&P Stores in various parts of the country.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014