• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Every year Luv My Pet does dog and cat Rabies vaccinations in February for $5. This is a great deal for those whose towns do not provide free Rabies shots.

To get the time and locations of the clinics you can go to this link, then click Clinic Locations

*thanks mastermind278 at SD*

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Here is a price sheet... http://www.luvmypet.com/pricesheetrev020408.pdf
As mentioned above packages with rabies get $5 o... (more)

mastermind278 (Feb. 10, 2008 @ 6:35p) |

I live in Florida and 6 and 1 a must along with heartworm. \

Thanks for the price chart, will be there!

syber (Feb. 10, 2008 @ 6:54p) |

Thanks, op! My current vet charges $65 for rabies shot...the $50 savings can be used for quite a bit of treats! =D

cola262 (Apr. 17, 2008 @ 8:44p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Green, even though my state, Michigan isn't listed... I know they do run very low cost shots at the Petco, still might be worth calling the store near you and asking when the clinic is... I know by me its only the 2nd Sunday of the month or something like that...

The Petco near us is listed ... thanks OP.

This is such a wonderful idea.
Thanks for the heads up, turtlebug

Can I bring my raccoon ?

rebatemachine said: Can I bring my raccoon ?

My coonhound would eat him.

Got take the pup in
Thanks OP

Is rabies vaccination still necessary?

I don't know about others, but rabies is not a concern for me in suburbia. I guess it depends what your dog is exposed to.

ucdcrush said: Is rabies vaccination still necessary?

I don't know about others, but rabies is not a concern for me in suburbia. I guess it depends what your dog is exposed to.

Funny that your article concludes with concerns about the importing of puppies and breeders from Mexico which lacks proper disease control...
If people stop vaccinating their pets, rabies will rebound again.

ucdcrush said: Is rabies vaccination still necessary?

Your dog may be infected by bats, skunks or raccoons, among other vectors. It is fashionable among many ill-informed individuals to speak badly of vaccinations in general (not saying you are one of these). I believe they fail to understand the benefits for the vaccinations contrasted with the quantifiable potential for harm they possess. The problem is that the potential for harm of the diseases prevented becomes unclear to those who have not observed the diseases in the general population. Thus they measure the admitted harm of the vaccines (rare but real) against the good health of the population as it exists, not as it would exist had the vaccine not been deployed.

"On September 7, 2007, rabies expert Dr. Charles Rupprecht of Atlanta-based U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that canine rabies had disappeared from the United States. Rupprecht emphasized that the disappearance of the canine-specific strain of rabies virus in the US does not eliminate the need for dog rabies vaccination as dogs can still become infected from exposure to wildlife." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies

Edited for attribution.

Thank you

Where would one go to find out if their town offers free Rabies shots?

I thought the rabies vaccination was given before 1 year of age and then a booster shot at 3 years (but that they shots are different). How do we know which shot will be give at this clinic?

orangespot said: I thought the rabies vaccination was given before 1 year of age and then a booster shot at 3 years (but that they shots are different). How do we know which shot will be give at this clinic?

Was going to ask the same question. My daughter who lives at her mother's house has a dog that is 2 years old and never started the rabies series. Will the one shot do it for the year or does she need the series?

according to my co-worker who got around 40 pets,
there are one year shots and 3 year shots, you can tell Petco which one you want.
But normally they just give you one year shots.

Some vets use the three year vaccine but do not disclose it unless you ask. They will schedule an appointment for your pet in one year, and will give you certification for only one year. Be sure to ask!

My neighbor's dog had rabies when I was a kid. I remember watching the rabid dog (foaming at the mouth and all) running around our yard. Scary and sad sight.

This is an awesome deal... several Petco's within a few miles are offering this deal, but my dog has been getting his rabies shot from his vet so he's good to go for another year.

But for the dogs who need it, green!!

Thanks for posting OP. For those of you who do not know...if you have a pet that is really old or sick you may not be required to get the rabies vaccine. It weakens their system and some cannot handle it. I know this from experience with my own pet. All I had to do was get a letter from the vet and give to the animal control office (this is where we get and pay for the tags). The animal control office felt bad for me and said my vet should have known better. I know this is a thread about deals but I just had to let you know that your pet could be expempt from this vaccination. If your pet is really old or very sick please ask the department where you pay for the tag if you have to get it. They will tell you what you need to do.

It is my understanding that it is the same shot for 1 or 3 years. If your dog is up to date and you get him vaccinated the shot is good for 3 years. If the dog is not current on his shots the same vaccine is only good for 1 year.

bgoldb said: according to my co-worker who got around 40 pets,
there are one year shots and 3 year shots, you can tell Petco which one you want.
But normally they just give you one year shots.

Thank you OP!

Beats my vet! TYOP!

how does this website work? I input my address, email, tel No., then I found no certificate in my account, or ask me to input a cert No., dont know what that mean, should I wait ? my dog got Rabies shots every yr, (2 yrs already). thanks.

gpsgps said: how does this website work? I input my address, email, tel No., then I found no certificate in my account, or ask me to input a cert No., dont know what that mean, should I wait ? my dog got Rabies shots every yr, (2 yrs already). thanks.

Go thru link, click "Clinic Locations" on top left side, click on your state (if it doesn't do anything, the offer does not apply in your state), if it does, then the site will list all of the Petco locations offering the $5 Rabies shot. Hope this helps.

I don't know if "times have changed", but it used to be, at these Low/No-Cost vaccination events, each dog would get the same amount of pre-loaded dose of vaccine. This meant that a chihuahua would get the same amount of meds as a great dane.

We had two small dogs, and they would get EXTREMELY ill after each event. It got to the point that, as kids, we protested so much to my Mom that she eventually relented & started taking the dogs (on the sly) to the vet & paying. Once we started going to the vet & getting the PROPER MEASURED AMOUNT for their sizes, we didn't have distressed little doggies anymore.

i guess it's time to get my cat vaccinated

For those that just got a pet recently, this is a smoking deal

Thanks so much! My dog is due for her rabies vaccination, and you saved me a lot of money! GREEN!

Not available in my area (92562/92584) , but thx anyway OP !

replyguy said: rebatemachine said: Can I bring my raccoon ?

My coonhound would eat him.

So would mine. She went nuts one day when I took her to an outdoor fair and a taxidermist had a mounted racoon on the table. She spotted it before I did and I barely held on to her leash.

turtlebug said: gpsgps said: how does this website work? I input my address, email, tel No., then I found no certificate in my account, or ask me to input a cert No., dont know what that mean, should I wait ? my dog got Rabies shots every yr, (2 yrs already). thanks.

Go thru link, click "Clinic Locations" on top left side, click on your state (if it doesn't do anything, the offer does not apply in your state), if it does, then the site will list all of the Petco locations offering the $5 Rabies shot. Hope this helps.

thanks, yes my area is listed(bayarea,CA) ,so I just need to bring my dog voer? and do nothing on that website? the Petco will automatically offer my that price? that's amazing!

ok... now that I have read the multitude of responses to this thread I will chime in myself.

I have been working for over 11 years in Emergency Medicine for animals and ten years at a daytime practice. Here are the guidelines we use (and most vets use) for vaccinations.

#1. As puppies (under 6 months) they get a series of shots to boost their immunities. Usually 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age. At 16 weeks they are usually old enough and strong enough to get their rabies with little to no problems.

#2. Dogs older than 6 months with no vaccine history will usually get a set of two shots given 3-4 weeks apart to boost immunity for their first time.

Now... specifically for rabies. There are a couple different manufacturers of the rabies vaccine. There are also different vaccines specifically made for cats (decrease risk of sarcoma). When animals receive their very first rabies shot, it is considered good for one year regardless. After the first vaccine, it depends on the type (1 or 3 year) given as to when you need revaccinated.

If the area you live in has a high rate of rabies, vets will recommend every 2 years for the three year vaccine to make sure the animals are completely covered. Believe me, I can't tell you how many people come into our emergency center with unvaccinated animals.

If you are worried about over-vaccinating your pet, you can have yearly titers done before giving the vaccine. Blood tests can be performed to check the antibody level of the various vaccines and will tell you if your pet still has coverage. Most people do not opt for this as it will cost money to send out the bloodwork and they would still need to pay for vaccines if necessary.

Unvaccinated animals: If your animal is elderly or has a disease which weakens the immune system. Vets have been known to forgo vaccinations as it causes an increased risk to the animal. This usually considered when the risk of contracting the disease is fairly low. For example, I own a 6 pound Papillon who barely steps out our back door to go potty and comes right back inside. He was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder and therefor cannot be vaccinated as it may set off a reaction. He no longer can go places with us (pet store, etc.) because he is not vaccinated for any of the top diseases such as Kennel cough, distemper, or rabies. For him, the risk of vaccination is greater than the risk of not being vaccinated. If he were an indoor/outdoor cat, he would still be required to get vaccines because he is at a greater risk for exposure.

Rabies is out there... I myself am vaccinated for my own personal protection. I have seen positive cases come through our clinic doors and have seen co-workers have to undergo rabies treatment post exposure.

Vaccinations have risks... but rabies isn't something you would want them to get. It is an automatic death sentence and anyone who came in contact must be treated. I have had to prepare more animals than I care to admit for testing. It is a gruesome process but necessary to protect the humans involved.

Hope this sheds some light. If not.... sorry for the length.

Please remember... these clinics see a great number of animals during their hours of operation. The veterinarians on duty are there to vaccinate as many of them as they can. For this reason, clinics should not take the place of regualr exams. Just as we get physicals every so often, so should your pet. Do not count on the clinic to find and diagnose any underlying problems your pet may have. I think the clinics help a lot with getting more animals covered, but please just keep that in mind.

Wow, thanks for the info. My dogs get the 3-year vaccine and are both due. This will save me a ton of money.
I don't believe in yearly vaccinations anymore (heck, even the AVA doesn't recommend) but since rabies is required by law where I live I will get it, but decrease the risk of adverse side effects as much as possible by giving them the 3-year instead of the 1 per year.

This will save me close to $100, thanks OP!.

That's a good price on a rabies vaccine for those who choose to get the vaccine. Thank you.

My 3 pets are done with vaccines, probably for good. There is a petition circulating among vets claiming that we over vaccinate our pets when research shows that pets still have antibodies to the diseases years and years after a vaccine is given. This petition's aim is to change the vaccination protocol to align with new research that has been conducted. For rabies, I believe the research (done via titer tests) showed sufficient antibodies 5-7 years later...

I don't want to take the chance of harming my pets if they're already well protected from disease. Plus, you can get titer tests done to check for proper levels of antibodies to various diseases, which is the way I'm going from now on. After a lot of reading, I believe that we wayyyyyyy over vaccinate our pets -- to their detriment. My dogs (1 yr. olds) may get one more rabies vaccine when they are 7-8 years old. In my state (you'll have to check for your state), I can have a titers test done in lieu of a rabies vaccine to prove (by paper) that my dogs are well protected, should they bite someone.

My cat has had two kinds of cancer and also has kidney failure. I am not saying the vaccines caused his 2 types of cancer at all. I'm just saying that because my cat is ill and has compromised health, he can be excluded from future vaccines. In fact, any good vet would not WANT to vaccinate an indoor pet with health issues, and I'm speaking of an exlusively indoor cat who has little to no chance of encountering a rabid animal (unless I turn rabid over missing the deal of the year). Beware if yours still wants to vaccinate if your indoor pet has a health condition. I'll never allow him to have another vaccine because they can trigger various responses in animals...

My dogs are not getting any more vaccines or Heartgard (heartworm preventive) because I have since learned that heartworm larvae can only develop if the temperatures, both day and night, are above 70 degrees F for a period of 10-14 days consistently. Other websites say 80 degrees F. Some say for a one month period.

In my part of the country, it would be rare to have temps above 70 degrees F for a consistent period of 10 days to one month. Hence, my dogs will never get another Heartgard treatment. They are going in for heartworm testing next month, just to be on the safe side because I discontinued Heartgard in June of last year. Those who live in much warmer climates should protect their pets.

The titer tests are more expensive than a vaccine, but I will not take a chance with my pets. For some things, I want a fat wallet, but for my pets, I'll gladly open the wallet nice and wide.

Please question and research what vaccines or preventive treatments your vet wants to prescribe before permitting them. I do. I hope this info helps someone.

Vaccination Info: (This isn't the exact site I was looking for, but it will give you a little info.)
http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

Heartworm Incident Map from 2005
http://www.knowheartworms.org/incidencemap.asp

FYI. The website OP provided doesnt list any of my local Petco's but when I go to www.Petco.com and find my local one, it does list LuvMYPet and the schedule is provided as well.

So if my two dogs have been getting their annual rabies shots in june... feb would be way too early? (over vaccinating?)

I emailed Luv my pet with the question regarding 1year vs. 3 year.
I live in the northwest, so the email was forwarded to the regional office and here is their reply:
Luv My Pet said: We are a mobile vaccination service that provides vaccination for pets all over the U.S. We will be at Marysville Petco this Saturday from 12:30pm to 2pm. The Rabies vaccine is on special for February. We have our yearly vaccine packages $5 off and they include a free Rabies if you need it this year. You mentioned the 3 year Rabies and we do offer that as long as your pet has had a Rabies vaccine before. If not, the first Rabies is only good for 1 year. That is required by all vets. We have local veteranarians who work with us at our clinics. So they are licensed and experienced. Any other questions you may have please give me a call at the office.

Anyone know of they still vaccinate ferrets there as well?

They do not do Ferrets anymore! Sorry. They also do not do Lyme anymore!
The rabies shot is good for 3 years if the pet already got vaccinated before with rabies or 1 year if its first rabies. It is the same serum that's used though, just the rule they follow.

Rabies shots are an absolute necessity. I get my guy the one that is good for 3 years.

With regard to the Distemper/Parvo shot which comes as a 4-in-1 or a 6-in-1, these use to be good only for a year, according to the manufacturer. These shots are now good for 3 years. Ask your vet!!!!! There are cases of dogs and cats developing cancer in the spot where the vaccination is given. Some vets rotate where vaccinations are given and record the information, so they don't give them in the same spot. I'm not a vet or a vet assistant, but I did lose a healthy 6 year old dog as a result of the 6-in-1 vaccine.

You should still have your pet get a yearly exam, but that distemper/parvo is not necessary yearly anymore. Some vets have not informed their clients, using the distemper booster needing to be given yearly as the excuse as to why you need to bring your pet in. Sometimes I believe it is $$$$$$$ that bring about this behavior. It's up to you to look after your pet's best interests, I found out. Ask your vet questions, Google and become informed.

Skipping 7 Messages...
Thanks, op! My current vet charges $65 for rabies shot...the $50 savings can be used for quite a bit of treats! =D

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014